Are the mod's too pushy?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Do you think the mod's are too pushy?

• I don't think the mod's are too pushy, they do a great job

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At times, the mod's can become too "off topic-annoying"

• The mod's are terrible, they don't allow any freedom

• Total voters

InuyashaX

-Hokage
Kouhai
Well, I've been thinking, FTV is a very strict site. You go off topic for a sec and you get told off by some mod. If you have a simple conversation with another member, a mod, will shut the conversation down. (Delete posts) If you post a non-relevant/random post, it will likely be deleted or you will be told to not post random stuff. If your posts are wierd (You Have Caps On All First Letters Of A Word) You will be told not to post that, and stop capping. If you make a topic similar to another topic, it will be merged with no questions asked. If you make a poll, it will be merged if it falls within a similar topic. If you spam slightly, you will be told off by a mod. If you double post, you will be told off by a mod.

Why is this the only site which does this? Why do other forum sites not do these things? Why is FTV so strict? Why?

Do you think the mod's do a little too much modding? Do you think your freedom is extremely limited? Well, I'm not blaming the mods. They do a great job and keep FTV clean and are very nice. But mabey they're doing a little too much. I just think, the mod's might be less aggresive on these types of issues. To be honest, I think FTV has too many mod's. Not many people go on this site. We havent had 100 people on at once ever. So why are there a bunch of mod's roaming around? I'm not angry, I just think FTV is too crowded with mod's. Theres like more mod's online than members at some times. So mabey the mod's can be a little easier, or mabey there should be fewer mods? Even though, your improving FTV's forums, your corrections can become very annoying.

Me, i believe the mods do an abosolute perfect job of Modding, I know ive been there on serveral forums. Sometimes you dont have time to get the back story on every double post/ ALL CAPS/ off topic there is which is fine. Especially when the rules have been clearly stated before. Thats like running a red light in youre car. Ok you get the ticket the first time why the hell would you do it again.
Also the mods are doing a great job if anything they should be praised. Take for example Bold-senpai, Almost every day i see him in the tech support section helping out those who need it. or howabout DoR. Posts getting messy, double posts every where. OH WAIT that doesnt happen.
My finnal summery is that although it may be anoying having youre post merged, when you look at it from a MODS point of view it makes perfect sence. Every day the mods strive to make FTV an easy, clean to use place where we can talk about anime, and social issues, and art. Just think about it for one moment then apprecaite all that goes down, what you can and can't see here at FTV...

I'm not saying the mod's are useless or imcompetent, I'm saying that at times, they are sometimes pushy when it comes to posting. You have to be very careful or else your thread or post might be deleted ot edited. That's what I don't like. But yes, the mod's are amazing, they do a great job, the problem is that they do too much of a good job and don't leave any room for error or mistakes. They correct anything that look's out of order, which is a good thing. But mabey they should tone it down to allow some freedom for members in the community. I mean, I dare you to make a thread that is similar to another thread, it will likely be merged or deleted. That's what I don't like. Simple things like that.

Of course why would anyone make a thread when its similar to anouther thread(enough so that a mod would merge it) instead of posting there. All that does is take up more space on the forum as compared to 1 post.

You go off topic for a sec and you get told off by some mod.
this is the only point i might agree with you in. i like some offtopicness myself, so i allow it. but if another mod thinks it's too much, who am i to say that his judgement is wrong and mine is right? therefore i do what i think is best, just like the other mods do, and i don't tell them what to do, just like they don't tell me what to do.

If you have a simple conversation with another member, a mod, will shut the conversation down.
there are PMs for conversations.. and if the conversations are of the board members' interest, they're usually allowed.

(Delete posts) If you post a non-relevant/random post, it will likely be deleted or you will be told to not post random stuff.
why would you want to be able to post random stuff? well, i suppose that you could create a "random thought" thread if there isn't one already.

If your posts are wierd (You Have Caps On All First Letters Of A Word) You will be told not to post that, and stop capping.
err.. do you really think these boards would be better if people were allowed to post with caps or capitalized words or leet talk????

If you make a topic similar to another topic, it will be merged with no questions asked.
this not always has the best results, but when mods have doubs, we discuss if the threads should indeed be merged or not. so it's not like we do it lightheartedly.

If you make a poll, it will be merged if it falls within a similar topic.
if there were 5 polls per series, how many polls would there be?

If you spam slightly, you will be told off by a mod.
should we wait for the user to be a massive spammer before we talk with him?

If you double post, you will be told off by a mod.
why would you want the freedom to double post? for you to bring up your threads? we allow multiple posting in some situations anyway.

finally.. if you often see more mods online than regular users, that's a good sign, it means we don't leave the forums unattended. as long as there aren't conflicts within the mods themselves, i really see no advantage of having less mods.. the less mods, the more work they'd have to do, which means both the forum users and the mods would have a lot more to complain about.. where are the advantages in that?

I think mods here fo their job right.... yes, they are a little pushy sometimes. But I think that order comes from higher places maybe (daft?). I never had the feeling mods are just taking advantage of their position, " I am the boss, you obey me!!" like I have seen on other forums and chats. It is a little annoying when a really interesting off topic conversations starts to evolve and a mod cuts it off, but thats just part of daily life
tongue.gif

All of a sudden, i feel that this was a conspiracy.

First of all, being a mod isn't all that. Even so, we didn't ask to become moderators (at least, some of us), so whether being pushy or not comes out of the question. All the actions that we mods do are through actions that daft saw through us, and we oblige by that. It's more of an oral rule. Moreso, daft thought we were capable of the position.

And if we had to demote ourselves for an understanding, we'd have go back to being former sempais. And the troubleshoot section isn't as bright as the forum itself.

There are some things that are needed to be understood. First off, there's the fact that some of you guys do kinda dislike us. We just need to also follow the set rules. That means, No Exceptions. A few, maybe. But it's an absolute thing.

I dont really understand. One minute your are saying there are too many mods and they are too pushy and another second you are saying they are doing a great job. Its kinda hard to have it both ways. Unless you are only talking about one mod you dislike.

QUOTE (InuyashaX)Well, I've been thinking, FTV is a very strict site. You go off topic for a sec and you get told off by some mod. If you have a simple conversation with another member, a mod, will shut the conversation down. (Delete posts) If you post a non-relevant/random post, it will likely be deleted or you will be told to not post random stuff. If your posts are weird (You Have Caps On All First Letters Of A Word) You will be told not to post that, and stop capping. If you make a topic similar to another topic, it will be merged with no questions asked. If you make a poll, it will be merged if it falls within a similar topic. If you spam slightly, you will be told off by a mod. If you double post, you will be told off by a mod.

When a user does one of these silly things, isnt that the reason why forums have mods in the first place? If you dont like when they do this, what do you want them to do then? Sit about and join in flaming other users, adding more spam and going on with useless arguments?
I mean you would have a point if the mods here were very rude and useless, but I know that no mod here really wants to be mean or have people hate them. Unlike other forums where they go crazy with the "power." If they are too pushy its probably cause you or other users keep doing silly things you shouldn't. Making them bring up the same rules over and over again.

As for the thing about there being too many mods, I recall a little while ago you your self wanted to be a mod and since then only Kit and chiisai has been added as one so what has changed?
There are alot of mods on this forum, but some how it works. You see I dont know if daft plans this out at all but from what I see every mod on here has there own personality and interest in a certain section. I hardly ever see them falling over top of each other trying to moderate. Some like the art section ( Dragon-of-Rune, hamasusuke) others can always be found in the anime section ( Kit-Tsukasa) and so on. Each one usually only looks at sections/ threads that interest them, and since its so many the whole forum gets covered by some one at least.

Well thats my observation at least, I may be wrong

I don't do anything different as a mod than I did as a sempai, and before that as a regular member. I warned people about going offtopic, double posting, etc. The only difference is now as a mod, I can take care of the issue myself rather than having to wait for someone else to come along.

Also, I don't think it's that bad. If we wanted to be strict, threads like "what are you doing" and the "wish destroyer game" would be closed already. And like wittyfox said, each mod has personal interests in a different sections of the forum, so we're not overmodding, because some mods don't go into certain sections at all.

And like hamasusuke said, most of us didn't ask to become mods. Daft gave us the moderation powers based on his judgement.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in the "voice of change" section rather than the thoughtful section? Since it directly concerns the forum.

I personally like the way the moderators have done their jobs. They usually are not rude, but they make their points as clearly as possible. As a new person on the boards I received a notice that my subject was informational -- but off topic. Interior trepidation aside, I apologized and no one was offended. The note was helpful to me (not having participated in this exact kind of thing before), and I was before long able to navigate and participate with a certain confidence.

Yes, there are times when I would like to be a bit more openly informal. For example, in a debate with hadji on Islam, the topic would get pretty heavy. The one time we lapsed into a less formal (and intense) position with a more personal interaction we were warned about being off topic. I understood their point. It was off topic.

And since it was off topic, they probably needed to say something. After all, the lines are pretty clearly drawn here. The moderators probably hated to have to say something themselves, but unless the cautionary word was given, such off-topic-ness can get out of hand.

So live inside the system. There are other systems that aren't as strict, and you could always go there -- but then you'd miss out on the great people here. I tend to think that we like it here for good reasons. The moderators have certainly helped.

My regards to them!
-------------
QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Nov 01 2006, 06:31 PM) And like hamasusuke said, most of us didn't ask to become mods. Daft gave us the moderation powers based on his judgement.
He seems to have chosen wisely. All of the moderators I have had any pleasure talking with seem like good people.

And you take your responsibilities seriously, which is good. From what I have seen, you use your moderation powers reasonably. I haven't noticed any heavy hand.

Regards

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Posts merged. Use the edit feature]

QUOTE (wittyfox @ Nov 01 2006, 07:02 PM) Well thats my observation at least, I may be wrong
You are absolutely correct. Although we check every section of the forums time to time, usually we stay in our personal favorite sections of the forum because it is of interest to us. This is actually how we split up most of the work. When we are confused about something, we bring it to the "table" to discuss and then pass judgment on it.

QUOTE (wittyfox @ Nov 01 2006, 07:02 PM)
As for the thing about there being too many mods, I recall a little while ago you your self wanted to be a mod and since then only Kit and chiisai has been added as one so what has changed?

Why do I get the feeling this is the reason why this thread was even created?
huh.gif

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Nov 01 2006, 07:31 PM)I don't do anything different as a mod than I did as a sempai, and before that as a regular member. I warned people about going offtopic, double posting, etc. The only difference is now as a mod, I can take care of the issue myself rather than having to wait for someone else to come along.

Also, I don't think it's that bad. If we wanted to be strict, threads like "what are you doing" and the "wish destroyer game" would be closed already. And like wittyfox said, each mod has personal interests in a different sections of the forum, so we're not overmodding, because some mods don't go into certain sections at all.

And like hamasusuke said, most of us didn't ask to become mods. Daft gave us the moderation powers based on his judgement.

This pretty much says the rest of what I was going to say.

EDIT: Regarding the 100 user not being online issue, either you meant to say members, or you are wrong. Before the crash, we often had over 150 users online each minute. So I don't quite understand what your saying.

I think everything was mostly said. Moderators in FTV each have discretionary powers, meaning they can take final decisions. But we don't step on each others toes and also respect each others decision.

As for the "no freedom is allowed", that is plainly not true. If we applied the rules coldly, a lot more threads would be closed. Many things are tolerated. For instance, a few offtopic posts are usally accepted depending on who made them. For instance, if a regular poster like Warita or rtgmath went a bit offtopic, I would not warn them right off. Regular members are allowed a bit of flexibility. But there is still a limit.

As for behing more strict than other places, I go to a few other places that are similar. I guess it goes with one's personnality. Bottom line, there are places that are stricter and other that alow anything (including openly insulting other members!). All the rules of FTV are a part of what FTV is today. Some people atually like coming here because the community is friendly, polite, helpfull and relatively organised.

Also keep in mind there are a very low number of people who got banned from the forums. In the last year, I think it only happend 3 times. So that is definatly not a lot so I don't think any mods over uses his powers.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Nov 01 2006, 06:32 PM)Even though, your improving FTV's forums, your corrections can become very annoying. Talking about corrections, this should be in the voice of change section since it is about the site. So please allow me to use my moderating powers to move the thread
wink.gif

I think the mods are doing a great job...they are fair and not abusing their power...if you don't like the rules and think the mods are too harsh, then don't post in FTV

very simple really

InuyashaX, what is your intention? are you trying to start a campaign to oust a mod?

QUOTE All of a sudden, i feel that this was a conspiracy.
You don't know the half of it....
The mods are pretty fair but the only thing I find kind of.. strict is the off topic thing.. but other then that merging posts, aren't bad...

Well, you made some points which I already knew. But answer this for me. Why is this the only site I've been on which is so kneen on these types of issues? Why are no other sites as strick as FTV? IGN, GameSpot, etc. You can post anything and not be told anything from a mod. At times, you guy's might be a little too aggressive. When you think your helping someone, you may be actually be helping the site and not the individual. I just think you guy's should be more aware of what you do and how you do things. But other than that, you do a great job with this site. Also, why are there 11 mods including daft on this site that usually has only 30-40 members online at a time? Arent there a bit too many mods for such a small site?

It's just my opinion, but you all are pushy. It doesn't matter whether you're a mod or not. We all, are pushy. That is a fact, period.

QUOTE Well, you made some points which I already knew. But answer this for me. Why is this the only site I've been on which is so kneen on these types of issues? Why are no other sites as strick as FTV? IGN, GameSpot, etc. You can post anything and not be told anything from a mod. At times, you guy's might be a little too aggressive. When you think your helping someone, you may be actually be helping the site and not the individual. I just think you guy's should be more aware of what you do and how you do things. But other than that, you do a great job with this site. Also, why are there 11 mods including daft on this site that usually has only 30-40 members online at a time? Arent there a bit too many mods for such a small site?

Number 1:posts count on this site as a ranking system
number 2: This site doesn't have millions of people on at once so less mods are needed, or less people qualify as mods, and these are the best of the best
numer 3: This site is huge

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Nov 01 2006, 09:37 PM) Also, why are there 11 mods including daft on this site that usually has only 30-40 members online at a time? Arent there a bit too many mods for such a small site?
1 - Timezones. When some mods are sleeping, others can be awake and online.
2 - We have lives. If three of us get caught up in work and disappear for a week (it does happen) the forum doesn't go into chaos mode.

Daft adds mods when he thinks they are needed. If he didn't think he needed ten of us, then he wouldn't keep making more of us mods.

Most other forums have immature 12 year olds who need modding. This one is more of a mature environment.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Nov 01 2006, 08:31 PM) I don't do anything different as a mod than I did as a sempai
"I don't do anyting different as a mod than i did as a mod" - MKK

actually I don't see any major modding around the site except the ban/spams stuffs, but everything the FTV mod teams do are meaningful. Imagine if mods aren't pushy; site will be filled with posts that's are spams which decreases the QUALITY of the site. So we (?) are doing the same to keep the quality of the forum as good as satisfing the members. I think that's what separates other forums to this one, quality.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back