Budgeting

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Where and how to spend money

• New Server (Bandwidth + Space)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Harddrive (Space)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

daft27

-nya
Retired
A new server will cost $149 per month. A new harddrive will have a one time upgrade of $150 for a 200gb or $250 for a 300gb. This decision doesn't need to be made for a while so now would be a good time to start thinking about which way to go. If there's more than one server, then we can also decide what will happen with the two.

1) We could have both of them identical to each other and just have the new one act as a file mirror. Any harddrive upgrades will need to be done to both servers since they need to store the same info.
2) Or... we could split the older files up so that some of the episodes are on one server.. and the others are on the other. New episodes can be on both of them so when the latest stuff comes out, the wait won't be as long.
3) Upgrade the harddrive on one and turn that server into an archive server that has stores the older episodes.
4) ... something else....

i voted for new server, and have them identical to each other so that we have 2 mirrors for all anime hosted on FTV.

this is the best way to avoid some problems with the current system like queue skipping, cool down phase, and most importantly to reduce the lenghty waiting time from an average of 30 minutes to somwhere around 15 minutes. This should help to make the download speed faster too.

mm btw i just read that roughly FTV has a traffic growth rate of 10% per week, so we have to buy a new server to fix those problems sooner or later anyway becase they will get worse and worse as time goes by.

also i dont think we should upgrade hardrives to both servers because the anime collection we have is already huge in my opinion. to make space, we should just get rid of the older releases / unpopular series.

the only problem i can think of is that the monthly fees of $149 is a bit on the expensive side.
sad.gif

I think we fixed the problem of scrapping older episodes by converting them to RMVB. I voted for a new server, and I agree with fizyboy.

I put a vote in for the hdd; coz I don't see the queue skipping/ 30-50min queue time as a problem at the moment. But then again, the hard drive idea really depends on whether or not you actually want an archive; people keep asking why series like touch, and wild striker only stay up for a couple of days after being fetched. We've answered that by saying it's due to the popularity of the series.
But surely the regularity of people downloading Beet the Vandel buster and Grenadier have gone down by now
unsure.gif

That leads to another question I wanted to ask, does the server automatically deletes the unwanted eps or does it just remove the links?

i put a vote on the server, because the queues right now don't bother me, but i'm pretty sure that the amount of traffic will increase.. and it'd be best, IMO, if the website was ready for that! the worse is the monthly fee, obviously.. =/

i don't think that an anime archive is as wanted as a place to download recent anime.. that's how i see things though. maybe -- maybe!! -- when FTV becomes like the most known anime website on the net it can be split into 2.. a recent anime site and an anime archive site! But that's thinking waaaaaaaay ahead of time
wink.gif

/jp

What does IMO stand for?

And no, Darkdog, you're right. But we were thinking of archiving old episodes in RMVB. What do you think?

in my opinion..

if getting a server seems to be the best option, splitting some on each would definitly be a good idea, putting the very latest on both, but try to split the rest evenly, should help bandwith issues.

the conversion of old ones as an archive sounds alright but since we are on the subject of bandwith, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to get irc going. on rizon if I may suggest or even a hub in dc++ although irc is most likely more popular

Heh, I'm still a fan of #2, good idea regarding having two copies of the most recent media. Additionally, unless you want to keep every episode of the most popular series, which is bound to be both a bandwidth and a space hog, more space isn't as important.

But it may not be so bad if RVMB works out well enough.

~ SP

Just out of curiosity, how much total space does silk have, and how much is currently occupied?

sasha, IMO = in my opinion.. and i'd like to lay my hands on some avi vs rm comparison to really have an opinion on that matter! it sounds good but i want to be sure it's as good as it sounds..

/jp

i have about 170gb of share on dc++ if you would like to have a look at these types of formats, and as i've said before, dont judge off just one episode, each one varies in quality depending on the original file's quality and whoever re-encoded it, the options they chose to re-rencode to

right now im re-encoding gits 2nd gig as it comes out, but i follow a specific guideline by the site im doing it for, which ops for size as most important, you will understand more once you have seen a few files

i think ill experiment soon and put it at a higher setting for quality
tongue.gif
see how good it can go and still stay way under an avi's file size =D

-pm me or something, i can also try to send you some over irc but im having trouble getting my fserv to work correctly atm

QUOTE and i'd like to lay my hands on some avi vs rm comparison to really have an opinion on that matter! it sounds good but i want to be sure it's as good as it sounds..

*Has an idea*

AVI vs. RM - on it's way!!!

chose some good rm compression samples to show us. and good luck (you will be needing it to convince more than 1 person that rm is that good)

why would i use that site.... i find it to be rather lame and pointless lol

what are you uploading sasha..

and why do i have to convice a bunch of ppl that rm is good lol? I could care less frankly.. I know its good.

At the moment everything is fine, but if the site keeps growing then another server probably is a better solution to keep everything in the air.

QUOTE The server is beginning to run out of space and I have to start picking what stays and what goes.

That's why you have to decide on the goal/aim of this site- if its "Fansub TV, the internet channel for anime fans." Then you don't need the archive so much, and continue to provide the latest releases.

Don't delete! Archive in RMVB!

Yousendit is being a mean person and not letting me upload. I'll try again soon, though.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back