2013 Masonry Update

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

daft27

-nya
Retired
You may have noticed that some of the blocks on the home page of Fansub.TV have gotten bigger. Fansub.TV is automatically now promoting popular content and the content you subscribe to allow you to find the shows you care about faster. We've modified the grid to highlight the stuff that matters. To customize your experience, it is highly recommended that you follow shows that you care about. I follow 9 shows this season, and this is an example of what Fansub.TV looks like when I land on the home page.

If you're like many other users and don't follow many shows at all, you'll be greeted with the default content list which looks something like this.

To follow shows, you'll need to find and click the "Follow" button on the show's page.

Daft

thanks for the update Daft ^^ actually it improves the homepage appearence with shows that FTV users are interested in watching, when I looked at the big screenshots from the few series I'm following this season I was like "...what's happening here? is it a coincidence maybe?" but is clear now o_O btw, besides the profile messages is it possible to add a shoutbox or a chat in this site or it's not a good idea to include either?

I was starting to wonder why certain blocked looked larger then others there. At first I thought there was something wrong with the site, but it looks like I was wrong about it.
laugh.gif

Oh the only thing I have an issue with the front page is that it seems the placeholder is blocking the pulldown menus again. Aside frm that it looks really good so far.

Big thumbs up on this. Think it looks fantastic.

@thahitter: Yea... the block assembling isn't quite perfect. There will be gaps from time to time.

@Kit-Tsukasa: In your case, every show will be huge. It's great if you're browsing using a mobile device, as I've discovered.

I like the simple set-up so far but I was wondering if we should add anything on the sides of the front page to makes us look more awesome, like adding other pictures of upcoming anime on the side with captions saying the title of the anime and when it will begin.
rolleyes.gif

While this has nothing to do with what you so far, but I'm still wondering if you're going to fix the drop down menus that are right in front of the area where things are currently published still.

In any case having something on the sides as well would fill up all that white space that could be used for something. I just hope yo ufind something to add there mind you.
tongue.gif

@JCDRANZER: If there were adaptive side elements on the front page, do you think you (and/or some others) would be able to manage it and keep it up to date?

@Kid-Wolf: I'm waiting for a response from a popular navigation menu developer. I checked out his preview sites, but they don't seem to work for me using Chrome or Firefox.

To prepare for the next update, automatic following of shows and people will be coming soon.

We dont need you guys telling us what to watch, the homepage is a mess with all the new big sized thumbs, please repent and fix it back to how it was
tongue.gif

pedobear would be ashamed of you if he were still alive.

Merged from separate thread. Daft

@Kylern: A lot more changes are on their way. As for reverting back to the uniform grid, that should be pretty straightforward. I'll probably put in some "classic" mode that you can toggle.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Jan 16 2013, 11:55 PM) @Kit-Tsukasa: In your case, every show will be huge. It's great if you're browsing using a mobile device, as I've discovered.
I actually tried and do agree. Considering the small size of the screen it's great without having to manually zoom in at times.

QUOTE To prepare for the next update, automatic following of shows and people will be coming soon.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but I presume that something like an automatic recommendation system based on the people you follow on the forums is in the works?

QUOTE (daft27 @ Jan 18 2013, 01:23 AM) @JCDRANZER: If there were adaptive side elements on the front page, do you think you (and/or some others) would be able to manage it and keep it up to date?
Certainly. I can keep it up-to-date, like I really would like to put a picture on the side of "Attack on Titans". We can have one side dedicated to Future Releases for the following season, like on the right side. Have a set up with slots, like 4 slots, where we put the image and captions for the "future anime".

I was also thinking that we could add an anime weekly calendar as part of FTV, showing the time and date when an episode of a series airs in Japan. This doesn't need to be part of the FTV front page though.

@Kit-Tsukasa: The information won't be used to drive an automatic recommendation system. Not only is it difficult to get a recommendation algorithm working well, it would be incredibly resource intensive to make it work on a per-user basis. Instead, I'm thinking of using the information to better keep you connected to your friends. At the moment, there are only two places to engage other members: 1) the profiles and 2) the forums. I'd really like to change that.

@JCDRANZER: I might be able to make something work with the extra space on the sides of the front page. Do you have enough information/sources of info to keep the calendar populated?

QUOTE (daft27 @ Jan 18 2013, 09:38 AM) @JCDRANZER: I might be able to make something work with the extra space on the sides of the front page. Do you have enough information/sources of info to keep the calendar populated?
You mean the calendar for the future animes, yes I have quite a lot to be honest and I'm ready to do it.

As for the calendar for animes coming out this week (and next week, etc) and their schedules can be confirmed using multiple sources. This idea came about after a site I check out frequently called free-tv-video-online.me, that has this setup, where, you have Monday to Sunday and below each day are the names of the animes that air on that date and you can click the name of the series and it will send you to the page, where you can find more info about it as well as the links for the stream, we don't need to go that far, since we don't really give stream links here.

So the blocks are now for the most popluar shows overall, instead of the shows that I tend to like now?

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 22 2013, 09:46 AM) So the blocks are now for the most popluar shows overall, instead of the shows that I tend to like now?
All the shows you follow will now be four times the size of a normal block and any popular shows will be two times the block size. This feature is to encourage more people to use the follow option on series they like.

The picture blocks have never had a algorithm to determine what shows you'll tend to like, they show up as the shows are released and captured onto the Pulse system. The only change to the front page is just an aesthetic change based on what is popular and more importantly, what shows you follow.

@Kid-Wolf: It's pretty much what samthebear said. The more stuff you follow, the less stuff will be auto-promoted based on popularity. At the moment, the dislike/neutral/like voting system doesn't affect whether or not things get promoted.

Again, I highly encourage everybody to follow shows that they like. The auto-promoted blocks aren't nearly as meaningful in comparison to the stuff you follow. To get rid of the auto-promoted blocks, all you have to do is follow more shows.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back