Violence In Videogames

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Anime-Addict

-dono
Sempai
Violence is fun. It is the core of our essence it seems. It keeps up fe4nces, and keeps countries from being overrun, and lets face it, It's also a big moneymaker in the videogame industry. As graphic technology gets better and better games become more and more realistsic. lately even real world aspects of firearms have been added. Right Acention, recoil, concussion effects, rounds per magazine, debris from stray fire, its all there. Even armor on NPC's is accurate, your more likely to kill with a headhot, or mess them up with an arm or leg shot. With the advent of advanced AI scripts in games such as F.E.A.R. or Far Cry, NPC's use squad level tactics, flanking, decoys and such. Gore and blood effects have never been better either.

So are todays hyper-realistic videogames teaching our childern how to effectively murder his or her classmates, or are they teaching our children valuable aspects on close quarters combat, especially in this world of terrorism?

Its not teaching us anything at all except hand eye coordination. However, I do think that all the violence in games and on tv numbs us to other peoples suffering. It has a high been there done that feel to it.
sad.gif

I dont see how that could be of any good, especially for children.
Children should play outside, practise their social skills, their creativity and eye hand coordination with ball games.

QUOTE (warita200 @ Oct 12 2006, 03:06 PM) Children should play outside, practise their social skills, their creativity and eye hand coordination with ball games.
You forgot about watching anime! lol

I will not lie to you, My job as a soilder has been alot easier because of videogames. It reduces the impact, depressing the butterfly trigger is the same as clicking the mouse with similar results, only in my case i have real bullets claging off the glacis plate of my .50 mount.

I agree with warita200-san about the fresh air part, I try to get my wife (Myspace and Yahoo Addict) and my daughter outside as much as possible even if it is sitting on our back porch. Sun is sun.

i really don't think that violent videogames are that harmful -- at least in my society. i've been playing such games for quite some time, most of the portuguese kids do so, and yet firearm crimes are still a rare occurrence. I'm really sure it's completely different in the US, but here i really don't think that videogame / movie violence plays a major role in our lives.

portuguese people learn something called "common sense", which seems top be a rare commodity in the US.. and that's one of the things i consider to make a huge difference when comparing both societies.

QUOTE (darkdog @ Oct 12 2006, 10:32 PM) portuguese people learn something called "common sense", which seems top be a rare commodity in the US.. and that's one of the things i consider to make a huge difference when comparing both societies.
I second that. Violence in videogames often influence those who live/adapted/or grew up in the US. I don't know why specifically, but apparently there is just something about some US people mentality that makes them think they are living within a game where if you die you will come back to life or if someone dies he/she will come back to life. It seems that people in the US think that's how the world works even after several years of education.

QUOTE i really don't think that violent videogames are that harmful -- at least in my society. i've been playing such games for quite some time, most of the portuguese kids do so, and yet firearm crimes are still a rare occurrence. I'm really sure it's completely different in the US, but here i really don't think that videogame / movie violence plays a major role in our lives.

Video games were created and began its development in the US and Japan. That's probably why it doesn't play as much of a major role in your society's life *yet* as Europe tend to obtain video games last and quite late too.

People in the US especially have become so hooked on video games that it has pretty much become part of a daily need in people's lives. There are so many games and consoles out there that everyone in the US wants to get his/her hands on and beat it as fast as possible, especially first person shooting games. Another thing is in the US, because of the Bill of Rights #2, "The right to bear arms," right allows people to own guns, and other kinds of weapons for their own protection. However, by doing so, people take advantage of such a situation to go kill people as if they were imitating characters in a game. It sounds like really stupid logic, but its true in a sense that people love to take advantage of an opportunity when available. The best solution would just to forbid the selling of such weapons or take away the right to bear arms. However, I guess that would cause an uproar or give people all the more reason to buy/sell weapons.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Oct 12 2006, 10:50 PM)I second that. Violence in videogames often influence those who live/adapted/or grew up in the US. I don't want to start analyzing a whole sociaty, but I assume the cause is deeper than a problem to dissociate game from life. If asked, most people do make a difference. But I maybe it is related to some people not achiving their goals and fufilling their hopes. What I mean is that it is widely documented that there are massive social difference between the various classes in the US. Unfortunatly, many people from the lower classes have an extremely hard time to climb the social ladder. This will create miscontent. Some people apparently use video games to try to fill the void they feel and to basicly do what they could not in real life.

When you do a job that you hate and you think your life is worth nothing, it is preatty nice for a few hours to escape in a world where you are a jedi knight on which the fate of the galaxy rests. To most people, the fantasy ends when they push the "exit" button. But to others, they want it to continue and it starts to influence their life.

There is also the sense of responsability. When someone commits and action that is hardly explainable, like killing a few innocent people, how do you begin to explain it? It is often easier to blame "the other" or external factors like "it's the game's fault". It simply de-responsibilize people.

Don't take what I just said as facts. It is a simple idea I had right before going to bed. But it might be a lead to a start of an explanation.

QUOTE Video games were created and began its development in the US and Japan. That's probably why it doesn't play as much of a major role in your society's life *yet* as Europe tend to obtain video games last and quite late too. I don't think that is a factor. We get the games at the exact same time as in the US here. And there are no accounts of people becoming violent because they wanted to act like in their game.

Some of the factor that most probably have an influence are life style and numbers. Don't forget there are about 300 millions US people. On such a massive amount, statisticly speaking, the chances of getting a few unballanced people are high.

QUOTE (darkdog @ Oct 12 2006, 10:32 PM)i really don't think that violent videogames are that harmful -- at least in my society. i've been playing such games for quite some time, most of the portuguese kids do so, and yet firearm crimes are still a rare occurrence. I'm really sure it's completely different in the US, but here i really don't think that videogame / movie violence plays a major role in our lives. There is the whole relation to fire arms to consider here. Guns seem to be casual and seen like a "daily item" in some US culture. Usally most europen country, even those with lots of weapon in the population usally have a more carefull approach to guns. They see them as a tool used to kill. Not as an item to have fun with.

For instance, Switzerland, where most citizens have their state issued assault weapons at home for the mandatory military training, is the one country in the world where there are the least deaths by firearms. In Canada, where the number of guns per capita is about the same as in the US, there are rarely less than a 100 gun related deaths per year.

I don't think the explanation is so simple as "violent games are the reason" or that guns are the reason either. The explanation is probably a lot deeper. And only people who actually live in the US can really explain this and try to find solutions.

Problems in the US dealing with violence originate from poverty gaps, overpopulation, and cultural acceptance of crime. It has nothing to do with video games. A person who claims that it comes from a US citizen's lack of "common sense" shows less common sense than most people I know, and I live in the country!

I suppose people really feel the need to bash on all video games just because they disagree with some of the content within a few of those games. This argument seems unjust since there are so many other places to see violence in the world. Take the news for example, everyday they report stories of murder, rape, kidnapping, suicides, etc and if someone copies a murderer they saw in the news it is no big deal. When colombine occured and word got out that the ones responsible for the attrocities played the game Doom all the time, video game company who created the game was completely barraged with complaints and critisisms about the games they created and how they "contributed" to the catastrophy that took place there.

The only reason why others have a strong hatred for video game violence is that in the game "YOU" are the one to kill the bad guys, not some other guy you see in an action movie.

This maybe the basis of the debate, but despite that ask yourself this: "How many other forms of media include violence?"

you can't stop violence it's human nature so why stop it in something which isn't reality. People should just take violence in games simply as a game and not focus on it just as violence because wherever you look you will see violence. People arguing may fight, birds will fight over food or sex etc etc. So why do people really want to stop it i mean if people become influenced because of videogames then TV, radio or just anyother type of interaction should have the same effect.

QUOTE (SuperSawyers @ Oct 13 2006, 03:13 PM) you can't stop violence it's human nature so why stop it in something which isn't reality. People should just take violence in games simply as a game and not focus on it just as violence because wherever you look you will see violence. People arguing may fight, birds will fight over food or sex etc etc. So why do people really want to stop it i mean if people become influenced because of videogames then TV, radio or just anyother type of interaction should have the same effect.
but that exactly the problem. Ppl will not take violence in games as something that happens only in games. You hear about it all the time, boys play those gore games day and night, then a teacher or classmate angers them and they kill half of the classroom. This is an extrem case, I know, but still..... even if the effect it has on children doesnt go this far, it is nothing positiv.
Some ppl have hard time distinguishing reality from fiction, when they spend too much time playing such games.

You said, that ppl need agressivity. Especially males need that, I agree. It is genetically given, that they need to compete. Why not doing so in sports? It is healthy, burns stress hormons and doesnt fry the brain.

When I was a kid, I didnt watch TV. I was reading books and played outside. And I think it did me well. I will do the same with my kids, I dont want them to grow up in an envirmoment, that will make my children believe violence, blood and gore is something normal.

What I don't understand is why some people find violence to be humorous.

QUOTE (windfinder @ Oct 13 2006, 06:49 AM) A person who claims that it comes from a US citizen's lack of "common sense" shows less common sense than most people I know, and I live in the country!
an US friend of mine once told me this story: he saw a guy carrying a pretty heavy package, and he was obviously having trouble with it, so he asked if he needed help. the other guy's reply is "no thanks, because you might get an injury and then you'd sue me". when some people win fortunes because "they didn't know that coffee was served hot" and accidentally burned themselves.. what do you call that? opportunism? yes, but in most places (and probably courts too) in europe the reply to whoever tried to sue for that reason would be something like "what are you, stupid?".

another example is that, at 18, you can go to the army and kill people, you can carry your own gun (as far as i know), but you can't drink a beer.

finally: when most of the population agreed with the war on iraq, when most of the population considered anyone who disagreed with their president as "anti-patriotic", when a president wins the elections with a potential fraud and most people didn't care, i most definitely get the feeling that common sense in the US is a rare commodity.

for anyone interested in this discussion, i most definitely hope you guys watched "Bowling for Columbine" before.. it's an awesome documentary about this issue, specifically regarding the Columbine massacre.

QUOTE (warita200 @ Oct 15 2006, 05:51 AM) You hear about it all the time, boys play those gore games day and night, then a teacher or classmate angers them and they kill half of the classroom. This is an extrem case, I know, but still..... even if the effect it has on children doesnt go this far, it is nothing positiv.
Some ppl have hard time distinguishing reality from fiction, when they spend too much time playing such games.
There is one portion that I underlined in your post that seems important to me. Some people. Why would we take actions that limit the liberties of the masses because of "some people". There are stupid people everywhere and we can't prevent them from making stupid decisions.

QUOTE (darkdog @ Oct 15 2006, 06:38 AM)another example is that, at 18, you can go to the army and kill people, you can carry your own gun (as far as i know), but you can't drink a beer. I really love this example! It is also true for cigarette. You can go to the army or volunteer for testing new medical drugs at 18, but you can't drink and smoke! Good way to make people take their responsabilities!

And I hope no one here assumes it lowers alcohol consumption, because if anyone wants some alcohool, he will find a way to get some.

It is actually really funny when you see a bunch of 18 to 20 years US people that come up here on weekends just to drink. They end up drinking like mad man because they figure, "lets make up for the lost time".

I don't know if it's just me who thinks this but if the people who do commit crimes as a result of violent video games isn't it possible that if it wasn't a result of games it would be because of something they heard, watched on TV or read. If you were to stop videogame violence then shouldnt you stop horror and some books which can be educational and enjoyable.

QUOTE (SuperSawyers @ Oct 15 2006, 12:31 PM) I don't know if it's just me who thinks this but if the people who do commit crimes as a result of violent video games isn't it possible that if it wasn't a result of games it would be because of something they heard, watched on TV or read. If you were to stop videogame violence then shouldnt you stop horror and some books which can be educational and enjoyable.
No one ever said it had to be only from video games. It could be from any sort of media whether it was video games, television, newspapers, magazines, etc... However, the two most popular are probably video games (including PC) and television since those are the most powerful media sources, especially with the advancement in technology since the 1990s when the Internet was developed. The thing about television and video games are they are visual and therefore easier to understand and allow people to visualize immediately. If you were to hear something from a friend or someone, you would have no clue since you wouldn't be able to fit all the pieces in the puzzle to figure out what does your friend mean that guy in GTA went around killing people or something along those lines. Sorry if I'm not clear at the moment. I'm a little off today especially with two essays due in the next couple days.

QUOTE (Bold @ Oct 15 2006, 08:39 AM) There is one portion that I underlined in your post that seems important to me. Some people. Why would we take actions that limit the liberties of the masses because of "some people". There are stupid people everywhere and we can't prevent them from making stupid decisions.

But you never know who those "some ppl" are, right? You sell the game to everybody and then wait what kind of effect it will have on them?

It is not that I want to abolish PC games, so dont misunderstand me. Just a little moderation wouldnt do any harm. I myself love logical games and adventure games. Anything that has to do with puzzles and keeps my brain occupied. I am not a friend of "find-and-kill" games (even though I do have one at home, a reaaaally old one from 1994).

I have a question, do you play bloody games Bold?

QUOTE (warita200 @ Oct 15 2006, 12:47 PM)It is not that I want to abolish PC games, so dont misunderstand me. Just a little moderation wouldnt do any harm. I myself love logical games and adventure games. Anything that has to do with puzzles and keeps my brain occupied. I am not a friend of "find-and-kill" games (even though I do have one at home, a reaaaally old one from 1994).

I have a question, do you play bloody games Bold? I never thougth you said games should be abolished.

For the record, my favorite kind of games are adventure/puzzle kind. I am a big fan of Myst (someone was able to get me riven for my birthday
biggrin.gif
I was never able to buy a real version of that games in the past
biggrin.gif
)

I also like startegy games like Starcraft and Rome Total war. Shooters are at the botom of my list. I agree that "run around shooting people" is a bit boresome. (For some reason, there is a single shooter I enjoy: battlefield2, But it's because the team play and tactical aspect of that games makes it great when you find a server with mature people, not 12 years old!)

QUOTE But you never know who those "some ppl" are, right? You sell the game to everybody and then wait what kind of effect it will have on them?What I meant is that acting on the basis that some people are imbecile is not for the good of all. For instance, there are some movements (mainly in the US) that believe alcohool should be banned because some people drink like there was no tomorrow and make stupid actions after that. I find that reasonning narrow minded because for each of those imbecile that don't know how to drink, there are a dozen other people who know how to enjoy a beer or a glass of wine here and there.

Limiting a full aspect does not lead to a better sociaty. Because it is far more dangerous when a person eventually becomes in contact with something new (and potentially dangerous) than when someone comes in contact with something they know can be dangerous.

If we take video games, parents should be wise enough to make their children understand the difference between a game and reality. Of course there are parents that are not. But if we make rules to accomodate those irresponsible parents, we are sending a message to the responsible parents that they don't need to be responsible.

If we start trying to cover every "in case" there is, we will be living in a sterile cocoon for all our life just to make sure there is no posiblity that something bad can happen to us.

No, I used to play those bloody-games that you all seem to hate for a long period of time non-stop, however I did not end up killing other people in real life. Those maniacs who end up killing people are different. Their reasons to play games were to satisfy their blood-thirst feelings, however, as playing the game failed to satisfy their need, a strong desire to kill people in real life grew within them, thus they decided to kill people in real life. There're lots of logic to be found within these bloody games, specially first-person shooters. It's all about the right-time, perfect-reaction, perfect strategy and a decent sense of logic.

Let me tell you this. People never change and history repeats itself in different ways. Long before, they used to blame legends, for that they inspired young ones to become stronger and slaughter their enemies, well it wasn't that bad in their naive eyes, then history accomponied by short stories, told by elder ones replaced legends' position, though legends were there, they were not as effective and important as they were in the past. It wasn't soon after when books and newspapers replaced the pervious ones. However, even though they were replaced, they still did exist. This circle went on and one, from news paper to theater, plays, cinema, tv and then those early video games, and now, pc games... When is it going to end? No body really knows. Hitler, surely wasn't a video-game-freak. Maybe one of those who believed in legends, but certainly not one of those who loved video-games.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back