Does Life Have A Meaning?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

LosingSolace

-chi
Kouhai
Being myself I like to think philosophically from time to time. So I'm sitting here in my college class and i come upon this old website...where i can spam my thoughts. As i sit here working away at my studies, tossing out paper after paper, with the sole intent of pleasing my instructor to increase my GPA. Which would later increase my income and make me...happier? Then I think about all the stress, anxiety and lack of sleep I have put into this college and I come to conclude.. that i dont know what I want in life. I use my evenings to watch anime or to otherwise "de-stress" with video games or anything within my grasp. So what is my meaning of life/Is there a meaning of life? When I picture my perfect life... i see only a few things. These few things hardly resemble the life that I am leading now. I see me far away from everything I know. In a more.."perfect" place with happiness and carelessness all around me. I see sunsets glowing in my eyes and rainbows overhead.An loving girl beside me a dim lite night sky and a brilliant ocean in front of me. I see me in the anime which I am watching...and i think to myself, that would be perfect. But, would it? If I was a person in one of the animes I watch I would still go through the many different emotions that my body is feeling and I would still be stressed beyond reason. I would in theory, still be me.

Now im not saying I hate my life nor despise my existance. What I am saying is. Why?

Where can I find that serenity that I crave?

seek not the answerto your question, but seek to understand why there is a question.

in other words, nobody really knows, and they often come up with differing answers to these questions as wellas different way of phrasing the question. it's an answewr only you can give, and finding an answer to your question yourself is half the struggle, figuring out why i said what i said first is the other.

we imagine strife to be a bad thing, as we are born with a dilike for pain, but it's neccessary to have pain and strife in life. there's no perfect life with a woman of your dreams watching the sunset with you as there's not a worry in the world. the more you suffer, the more you realize it's not possible, an then sometimes it breaks you an sometimes it makes you a better person an you become aware withut your suffering, your discontent, your sense of ennui, you would have never been driven to become the better person you have become.

is there meaning to life? why does pain exist? why don't we knw what comes after death?

they are all are great mysteries, none of which seem to have answers. find an answer for yourself so you can believe in it and give yourself hope, but afterwards, seek to understand why there's a question in the first place.

QUOTE (LosingSolace @ Sep 18 2006, 07:02 PM) When I picture my perfect life... i see only a few things. These few things hardly resemble the life that I am leading now. I see me far away from everything I know. In a more.."perfect" place with happiness and carelessness all around me. I see sunsets glowing in my eyes and rainbows overhead.An loving girl beside me a dim lite night sky and a brilliant ocean in front of me. I see me in the anime which I am watching...and i think to myself, that would be perfect. But, would it? If I was a person in one of the animes I watch I would still go through the many different emotions that my body is feeling and I would still be stressed beyond reason. I would in theory, still be me.

Now im not saying I hate my life nor despise my existance. What I am saying is. Why?

Where can I find that serenity that I crave?
A life like that requires planning, a lot of change or a lot of luck. It's very unlikely that everything will fall together into place by itself. Align the path you are following to the dream you have in your head and you'll make progress towards it. Unfortunately for me, my goals in life do not coincide with my dreams. The path for them lead me in two separate directions. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that I can't arrive at my desired destination at the end of the day.

The life that you dream of requires a certain mentality. To begin down the path towards your perfect life, you might have to change yourself first. Who knows... you might find that the life that you are seeking is a lot closer than you originally thought.

In about 2 or 3 years, I'll probably be out of the country in the crossroads between my dreams and my goals. The only thing I fear is that I will be lost in my dreams and end up forgetting about my goals.

Does life have a meaning? I don't know, but I'm fairly sure that MY life has some meaning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4

- note, i changed the title to make it more interesting

it is human mentality never to be satisfied with what one has. It is the engine that keeps us going, we always want to achieve more and more. If it wasnt for this, mankind wouldnt make any progress. But at the same time it causes us to be unlucky and dissatisfied with our lives.
Sometimes when I think about it, it gets depressive. There are some dreams, that can be never achieved. But guess what? Maybe it is better this way, because it creates the ilusion that if we could achieve that goal, we would be happy. That will never happen, but it gives us hope. How horrible must the feeling when you somehow manage to achieve what you always thought impossible and which was always your secret dream and a way to hapiness, just to find out it doesnt make you happy as you imagined???? Some dreams should stay dreams, so that we have something to dream about.....

Daft i would have to say you gave me the most clarity. After putting what you said to thot i have thot of somethign else.

Im sitting at home in my desk at what is now 5am.
I arrived back at this thread i wrote around a week ago and read your several comments and realized several things that have actually left some comfort in my mind. I feel satisfied.

After thinking about this for a while i have come to realize that what i am doing right now is a waste of life. Currently im a raging addict to the online MMO Worlds of warcraft. The reason i came back to this forum was to help break this addiction( i used to be a raging anime lover). I was struggling over a game.

Staying up late playing this game to achieve an idiotic goal, this game had become more then just a thing for destressing i found myself actually staying up late and playing this game to become better then other people. I pinpointed why i was addicted...mainly being the fact that i like to compete and in order to win i must put in more time then everyone else.

All of this leads back to is there a meaning of life....in other words...im confused.
Im so deeply entangled in something as stupid as this video game that the thot of just never playing it again would well...scare me?.. but im not sure if i even want to quit.

After more thought i come to think about what else i would be doing with my time and mainly it comes down to filling my World of warcraft addiction with ...well...just another addiction...

Why is this? is this a personality trait(spelling)? What can i do to help escape this cycle?

Is the only way to escape such an obsession, to make another obsession?

(however childish this may sound "insert your addiction here" and it could quite possibly be the same thing that i have brought up)

As Far As Anybody Knows, Life Has No Meaning. Do You want To Have A Meaning In Life? Congratulations, Your Wanting A Meaning In Your Life Gives You A Meaning To Live. You Live For Finding That Meaning. There Is No Meaning To Life But What You Want It To Be Or If You Want One.

Everything That Falls Under The Category Of Religion, Meaning, Understanding Everything Around Us, It's All A Figment Of Our Imagination. There Is No True Meaning To Any of It All. And If There Was I'm Pretty Sure We'd All Be Six Feet Under Before Even "God" Find's That Answer.

Choose Your Own Life, Lifestyle, "Destiny" If You Would So Like To Call It, Fufill Your Own Dreams. Do This, Or Else You're Left Without A Reason To Live(Which, You Really Don't Need A Reason, Just The Will. No One Needs Reason, Just The Want Or Will To Keep Living. If You Can't Find The Ability To Live, Kill Yourself).

We Are Our Own "Reason", "God", "Person", Etc.

I Live To Live, And So That Make's Me Happy.
biggrin.gif

No Reason To Hurt Your Head Searching For Some Grand Meaning That, For All You Know, Doesn't Even Exist. Anybody For That Matter.

It depends on what you think life is, to some people, life is something that is treasured and should not be wasted but to other's, they believe that life is meaningless or pointless and has no value at all. It really depend's on how the person was raised and taught. No one can can be told what the meaning of life is, it is something that they have to discover on their own. It all depend's on how someone view's life. The answer is up to you.

It is indeed a question that will go down in history:)

life has a meaning if you know whats your purpose in life. and we all have our purposes.

I think we exist to bear witness to the beauty of the universe. Somehow, we are little pieces of the universe that have developed awareness, able to perceive the world around us. We are the eyes of the universe, enabling it look at itself. I guess this is an artist's philosophy of life.

Well, I would comprehen 'bout the whole idea first first of all, I don't know why I was brought into this harsh world... I suppose God has something in for me... That I would believe everytime I'd would wake up every morning that I do, and would think of a comprehensive thought of being alive. What does being "Alive" really mean? Is it just something to be watched over by the "BIG guy" from farway and wait til death comes and then I would be forgotten in this forgotten world? I dunno. I jus don't know... *Sighs* Most of the time I'd wish I was a different person, living in a another life, being of another world... But, hey, that's never goin' to happened. Because I'm stuck here in this life... The life that God placed me in... For now, til the day i'll pass away into this world... Finally free and walkin' beyond the livin' as a mere spirit... Of my deceased and formlly known body form... That day will soon come for me... I'm surely waiting to be a mere memory of my whole life... ^^ But I'm not dead yet... Hopefully...Soon...

Philosophically, from my point of view, those who seek for a meaning give their life the meaning of seeking for a meaning which is kinda illogical because they're blinded by their will. Those who are saying the meaning is to get rich well does it mean that 2 millions years they were trying to get rich? And if they say the meaning is changing with time it means that the definition of life is changing too?
If a=b then 2a=2b! What I thing is life is life searching further is useless because if we do so, we'll be blinded by our own curiosity. Anything too much is not healthy
tongue.gif

ha, you know what..i think the same things sometimes too. i think everybody does, it's inevitable. though i think that i watch anime sometimes not because of the stories, but also because sometimes i wish i was there instead, their lives look so much better, easier, more comical in a sense. sometimes i watch anime to take my mind away from these things. =)

well, why are we here? there is no reason for why we are here. like i have stated before in some other post in another thread, "life in its basic simplicity is to exsist. You can make whatever you want from it." I don't think there is a real reason for us to live. Because in the end we all die...(i know it's really depressing)...and who will remember us? Besides are family and close friends, the world will keep going on, it will keep going further, and we will be forgotten. So then how come we spend so much time attempting to be the best? To work so hard and earn money and study so much when in the end nobody remembers and it doesnt even matter? I know it's really depressing to think about, but frankly it's the truth? Who's going to remember us in the end?

We live for ourselves and for nobody else, that is one important truth of our world, of life in general.

I hate it when ppl talk about how wonderful life is. It is not for me...... I ask myself, what is so special about living? Life is full of hardship, one has to strugle every day for nothing and again nothing. Sometimes I feel like an animal in zoo, I eat, I sleep and thats about it. Yes of course, I have a bunch of responsibilities, thats like a bonus, the red sherry on the top of a cream cake. What is so wonderful about going to school (frying your brain with stuff you dont care about) or going to work 8 hours a day? What is so fantastic about friends, that are just friendly to you as long as you dont need anything. What is so fantastic about a boyfriend, who will leave you one day anyway. What is it what is supposedly soooooooooooo wonderful? Everyday I am one day closer to death, slowly aging away..... sometimes I wish it would come faster.

At least you can live warita. Living is better than not living, am I right? We don't know what happens after death or where you are before your born. What we do know is that you are alive and living on this planet. To be honest, life is such a valuable thing, it is something that should be treasured to the end. It makes me sad when I read your post warita. There are millions of people who have died in the previous world war's, and yet you say life is hard because you have to go to school, work? Life seem's boring to you? At least you have the privelge to work, learn, sleep and have boy friends. Go to Africa or any other poor countries and say that. There are people around the world who would trade everything they have for a life like yours warita. People don't have bed's, they are dying of starvation, can't learn anything because there are no schools. Don't you think they have a hard life? People go through hell deciding to do risky things that could end their life such as war. You should think for a minute and decide whether you have a crappy life or an incredible one. Your very fortunate warita, you may not know it, but you do indeed have a wonderful life that should be treasured until the end. This also goes for everyone else. Always think of the people who are suffering as you read this, there are people working as slaves, dying in the middle east, doing dangerous tasks to make our lives better. So please don't take your life for granted, it is something that has an incredible value. And finally, when your gone, you'll truly realise and understand how great your life was.

"I was afraid this whole time.
I was afraid of not knowing the future,
I was afraid of not knowing what i wanted to do,
I was afraid of myself for not knowing the answer..
And I was afraid of the days that were nevertheless mercilessly flying by..."

"[An answer?]
There is no such thing.
All that matters is whether you did something to your heart's content."

Honey & Clover.
wink.gif

i assume you have too much security, and not enough responsibility. living isnt anything special.. it's basically what you make of it.. so if youre content sitting there asking strangers on the internet (categorically, people who have too much time on their hands as well, and likely who are in the same situation as yourself) the meaning of life, and sitting on your ass hoping someone will come along and hand it to you.... then you'll be sitting there for quite a while.

take a sebatical, go to a third world country or something and try living there. if you're craving mental stimulation, change something about your life, and basically just dont sit there. do something. do something to the best of your ability without giving up or half assing it.. dont think of it at the "meaning of life" scale.. think of "the meaning of this year/season/month/week/day/hour/minute/second"

what is the meaning of this minute? if this hour were representative of my whole life, how would i want to spend it?
huh.gif

Never let any person decide or tell you what or how life is.

By questioning life itself, you are looking on a single static answer.

Life does not work that way. Things happen in life and things are always in motion.

The only answer to that question is what do you enjoy doing.

i think it's quite unfair to talk about people in third world countries and ourselves and compare our lives. i do agree that there is a LARGE-scale difference between our lifestyles, but this thread isn't about discussing these types of lifestyles, it's asking if there is a meaning towards life.

i think what warita200 was implying in their post was that life is so over-rated. i don't think there was much complaining going on, but more of an insight in the actuality of life. no matter where you are in the world, the basic need of the human race is to exsist, anything else is a luxury, an add-on if you want to call it that. In North America, in Africa, everyone is attempting to meet up to that standard of exsisting, what is being questioned is the fact that why are we trying so hard to earn so much money, study so hard and make friends, when in the end, the only thing that matters is exsistence? In Africa it is the same thing, people struggling for exsistence....the basic truth is, is that there really isn't any point in doing all of these things, because in the end it doesn't even matter that much.

it's kind of hard to put it into words..i hope that clears things up...
laugh.gif

QUOTE (xxanime_junkyxx @ Oct 10 2006, 10:20 PM) i think it's quite unfair to talk about people in third world countries and ourselves and compare our lives. i do agree that there is a LARGE-scale difference between our lifestyles, but this thread isn't about discussing these types of lifestyles, it's asking if there is a meaning towards life.

i think what warita200 was implying in their post was that life is so over-rated. i don't think there was much complaining going on, but more of an insight in the actuality of life. no matter where you are in the world, the basic need of the human race is to exsist, anything else is a luxury, an add-on if you want to call it that. In North America, in Africa, everyone is attempting to meet up to that standard of exsisting, what is being questioned is the fact that why are we trying so hard to earn so much money, study so hard and make friends, when in the end, the only thing that matters is exsistence? In Africa it is the same thing, people struggling for exsistence....the basic truth is, is that there really isn't any point in doing all of these things, because in the end it doesn't even matter that much.

it's kind of hard to put it into words..i hope that clears things up...
laugh.gif

umm...

"i think it's quite unfair to talk about people in third world countries and ourselves and compare our lives."

you just contradicted that by comparing third world countries and "our lives" and saying theyre "basically the same...just existing.."

i never said one lifestyle was necessarily more "right" than the other.. but that since i assumed he's in what you call "our lifestyle," that exposure to "African" lifestyle would open his eyes to pretty much what you said. Life isnt anything particular. It's what you wanna do with it.

QUOTE (LosingSolace @ Sep 28 2006, 03:57 AM) Daft i would have to say you gave me the most clarity. After putting what you said to thot i have thot of somethign else.

Im sitting at home in my desk at what is now 5am.
I arrived back at this thread i wrote around a week ago and read your several comments and realized several things that have actually left some comfort in my mind. I feel satisfied.

After thinking about this for a while i have come to realize that what i am doing right now is a waste of life. Currently im a raging addict to the online MMO Worlds of warcraft. The reason i came back to this forum was to help break this addiction( i used to be a raging anime lover). I was struggling over a game.

Staying up late playing this game to achieve an idiotic goal, this game had become more then just a thing for destressing i found myself actually staying up late and playing this game to become better then other people. I pinpointed why i was addicted...mainly being the fact that i like to compete and in order to win i must put in more time then everyone else.

All of this leads back to is there a meaning of life....in other words...im confused.
Im so deeply entangled in something as stupid as this video game that the thot of just never playing it again would well...scare me?.. but im not sure if i even want to quit.

After more thought i come to think about what else i would be doing with my time and mainly it comes down to filling my World of warcraft addiction with ...well...just another addiction...

Why is this? is this a personality trait(spelling)? What can i do to help escape this cycle?

Is the only way to escape such an obsession, to make another obsession?

(however childish this may sound "insert your addiction here" and it could quite possibly be the same thing that i have brought up)
the difference between an addiction and a hobby is that a hobby requires skill.

anyone can be an addict if they just get obsessed with it.. a hobby actually develops a useful skill, or improves some aspect of your life. If you see your gaming as "pointless" then it's time to challenge yourself. Because honestly... anyone can click and press a few buttons, and invest all their time and energy into a game. The more you play, the "better" you are in the game.. but why not pick something that really matters... pick a sport, which challenges you physically, or a strategy game that challenges you mentally, or even going out and socializing to challenge your interpersonal skills..

i used to be addicted to Lineage 2, a different MMO before W.O.W times (i never really got into wow). I quit because i found myself plateauing on active learning, and it was just grinding over and over. It wasnt challenging, but im glad i experienced it.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Oct 10 2006, 04:11 PM) At least you can live warita. Living is better than not living, am I right? We don't know what happens after death or where you are before your born. What we do know is that you are alive and living on this planet. To be honest, life is such a valuable thing, it is something that should be treasured to the end. It makes me sad when I read your post warita.

I indeed ment, that life is over rated. There nothing sooo exciting about life. If I had the choice between life and instant painless death, I would take the latter. And I do hope that there is no life after death, because that would be what HELL means for me. When I die, I want to be dead for real. Kindo like dissolve into nothing....

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back