Violet Evergarden

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: VIOLET EVERGARDEN
Japanese: ヴァイオレット・エヴァーガーデン
Airing dates: 10/1/2018 (TV series 14 episodes) and 11/1/2018 (Netflix streaming)
Genres: Drama, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Military, Steampunk
Original creator: Kana Akatsuki
Director: Taichi Ishidate
Series director: Haruka Fujita
Written by: Reiko Yoshida
Music by: Evan Call
Character designer and chief animation director: Akiko Takase
Art director: Mikiko Watanabe
Sound director: Yōta Tsuruoka
Director of photography: Kōhei Funamoto
Animation check by: Hiroko Kuroda
3D art by: Jōji Unoguchi
3D graphics by: Tetsuro Umetsu
Special effects: Rina Miura
Accessory setting by: Hiroyuki Takahashi and Minoru Ōta
Prop design by: Mikiko Watanabe
Color design by: Yūka Yoneda
Editing by: Kengo Shigemura
Producers: Kazusuna Umeda, Shin'ichirō Hatta and Shin'ichi Nakamura
Executive producers: Masayuki Nishide, Shunji Inoue, Yōko Furukawa and Yōko Hatta
Music producer: Shigeru Saitō
Planning producer: Hideaki Hatta
Studio: Kyoto Animation
Network: Tokyo MX, TVA, ABC, BS11, HTB
Opening theme: "Sincerely" by True
Ending theme: "Michishirube (みちしるべ / Guidepost)" by Minori Chihara

Main cast: Violet Evergarden (ヴァイオレット・エヴァーガーデン) voiced by Yui Ishikawa (JP) and Erika Harlacher (EN)
Claudia Hodgins (クラウディア・ホッジンズ) voiced by Takehito Koyasu (JP) and Kyle McCarley (EN)
Gilbert Bougainvillea (ギルベルト・ブーゲンビリア) voiced by Daisuke Namikawa (JP) and Tony Azzolino (EN)
Benedict Bleu (ベネディクト・ブルー) voiced by Kōki Uchiyama (JP) and Ben Pronsky (EN)

Auto Memory dolls: Cattleya Baudelaire (カトレア・ボードレール) voiced by Aya Endō (JP) and Reba Buhr (EN)
Erica Brown (エリカ・ブラウン) voiced by Minori Chihara (JP) and Christine Marie Cabanos (EN)
Iris Cannary (アイリス・カナリー) voiced by Haruka Tomatsu (JP) and Cherami Leigh (EN)
Supporting cast: Tiffany Evergarden (ティファニー・エヴァーガーデン) voiced by Toshiko Sawada

Nerine (ネリネ) voiced by Aya Saitō (JP) and Johanna Luis (EN)
Oliver (オリバー) voiced by Naoya Nosaka
Lilian (リリアン) voiced by Rie Hikisaka
Lux Sibyl (ラックス・シビュラ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXDR9uaURhk

Synopsis: There are words Violet heard on the battlefield, which she cannot forget. These words were given to her by someone she holds dear, more than anyone else. She does not yet know their meaning. A certain point in time, in the continent of Telesis. The great war which divided the continent into North and South has ended after four years, and the people are welcoming a new generation. Violet Evergarden, a young girl formerly known as "the weapon," has left the battlefield to start a new life at CH Postal Service. There, she is deeply moved by the work of "Auto Memories Dolls," who carry people's thoughts and convert them into words. Violet begins her journey as an Auto Memories Doll, and comes face to face with various people's emotions and differing shapes of love. All the while searching for the meaning of those words.

gdpetti said:
Violet Evergarden does indeed sound like a KyoAni project.. :) either it works or it doesn't, so many aren't very different... at least the concept is here.
i think ep'1 stands out of their many series, which are comedy or fanservice :eek:

Auto Memories Dolls... sounds familiar of course.... seen that trope used often, but it's often done well... sort of reminds me of that Planetarian: Hoshi no Hito 'doll' or robot etc... I really liked that one, too bad KYOTO didn't flush it out more than the other two side stories... I forget it they were animated or just manga'd, but there was definite potential there.

gdpetti said:
Auto Memories Dolls... sounds familiar of course.... seen that trope used often, but it's often done well... sort of reminds me of that Planetarian: Hoshi no Hito 'doll' or robot etc... I really liked that one, too bad KYOTO didn't flush it out more than the other two side stories... I forget it they were animated or just manga'd, but there was definite potential there.
you mean Key ;/ but as seen in ep.2 those Dolls aren't robots, still Violet really fits called that given by personality... Or more like lack of it? And obviously her mechanical arms, she's learning emotions too yet doesn't know gilbert died -_-

Just watched first ep of Violet Evergarden... the classic 'what is love' plotline of a child of war or military etc... done rather well, the writing is moving well in the setup of the scene, characters and plot... rather well done in terms of how to successfully setup your first episode... well done.... looks like a post WW1 world... nice character setups... it's typical that if one is done right, they all are... and such is the case here in the first ep.... dub is fast... from Netflix Canada, not USA.
Violet Evergarden (ヴァイオレット・エヴァーガーデン Vaioretto Evāgāden) is a Japanese light novel series written by Kana Akatsuki and illustrated by Akiko Takase. It won the grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award's novel category in 2014, the first ever work to win a grand prize in any of the three categories (novel, scenario, and manga)....
Plot The story revolves around Auto Memory Dolls (自動手記人形 Jidō Shuki Ningyō): dolls initially created by a scientist named Dr. Orland to assist his blind wife Mollie in writing her novels, and later rented out to other people who needed their services. In the present time, the term referring to industry of writing for others. While the initial function of Auto Memory Dolls is only to generate voices into text, a second group of people created a company that "rented out" beautiful talented women who, while having the same function as the original Auto Memory Dolls, also can perform military-related tasks.
This story is developing very nicely... dramatic... nice animation etc... well done in ep 2 as well.

gdpetti said:
This story is developing very nicely... dramatic... nice animation etc... well done in ep 2 as well.
also its late 0P/ED were worth the wait and this steampunk isn't typical, full of magic or fantasy (still I enjoyed FMA)... I'm glad ep.3 (14 in total) isn't an usual school setting we're fed up, bit rushed but finally V learns how to ghostwrite!:)

Yeah.... I don't know the studios... can't remember which does what.... but I have learned to notice that each does have their style that repeats....
At first, from the early description, I thought her character was a robot... but just an orphan picked up from the streets during the war and used/trained to kill like a robot.... expendable people, like troops in any war, which is why the public is always being told to 'support the troops'... the usual BS every empire pumps out there to keep their empire building going on the cheap.... religions do the same for those in Power...

So, I assume, outside of flashbacks, that her previous role is over and her new one has started... and will be the main storyline... 2 LNs for this as the basis... so, is that 2 possible cours? if not rushed like Grencrest Seki? The comments I've seen on that sure are dead on... so rushed that it's hard to connect to the characters... lack of a budget? lack of trust in another season?

But this one is really looking good as a drama... well constructed, characterized... it always seems to be the case that when one, usually the MC/s, are well made, the others will be as well.... and usually a good sign of a good storyline. This one looks good, feels good etc. I like the different personalities in that office as well... nice mix.. the different girls/women with different talents in the job as the last ep demonstrated rather well... and even the trope of 'what is love' is being setup rather well given her previous war duties as an expendable pawn of the officer corp.... or so it seemed.... as her commander was warned not to get involved or whatever.... but all commanding officers are taught that.

I like this office too,.... which seems to be itself rather expendable in that this job is for the transition time until educational standards make it no longer necessary... once others can write for themselves etc.... being expendable seems to follow our MC around since she was a kid.... I assume a war orphan? They seemed to imply that her war role was like a suicide bomber/assassin? Thus her attitude or lack of emotion.... etc.

gdpetti said:
So, I assume, outside of flashbacks, that her previous role is over and her new one has started... and will be the main storyline... 2 LNs for this as the basis... so, is that 2 possible cours? if not rushed like Grencrest Seki? The comments I've seen on that sure are dead on... so rushed that it's hard to connect to the characters... lack of a budget? lack of trust in another season?
That's why I stopped seeing GS (I prefer the similar Chain Chronicle films films), did it turn any good or you dropped them?... So Violet is named after a flower like iris, who had more screentime in ep'4 along her family and crush at home ^_^

Haven't exactly dropped it or others yet.... but haven't kept up on some of them either... so sort of dropped... I don't like to start them if they don't appeal to me to start with, same with everyone isn't it? This anime, Violet Evergarden, is SoL, different than I expected, but I like the genre, so not a problem and this one has the best writing of those I'm watching so far... I like the scifi aspects of Kokkoku better, but this one is written better, in terms of characterizations, etc... you know where it is going... and like this ep, it seems all the office staff will get their own episode to flesh out their backgrounds... It's just good writing, hard not to like it. You know they will have to have the reveal on the Major's death at some point in her character development.. probably for the season ending episode? I wonder if this cour is the first book or both? Ongoing I think it was. I'll probably check out the recent ep/s of GS now... and then see whether to put it on the backburner or not... as I do prefer the trend to watch a bunch of eps/or a season that makes it more 'complete'.. like a film or book... a complete story is always better than a mere chapter. Some SoL's work in this manner though, those that don't have a real plotline... just the flow of the daily ordinary life that is written/animated in a manner to make those hours/days/weeks seem special... out of the ordinary.... which this anime has as well.... that touch of a unique character in an ordinary setting...

Kokkoku is more of a tease affect as they don't want to tell you what's going on... that is slowly revealed, which indicates that it is more important than the action itself, whereas this one reveals the main elements as quickly as possible to get those questions out of the way so the characters can take center stage and the plotline.... usually it's one or the other.... some can do both..... maybe 'Steins Gate' as an example? good plot and charcters that get reveals each ep? Kokkoku has the stopping of time element that is part of most 'alien' abductions... electron focusing to 'stop' the flow.... so it's interesting to see protrayed in any way... just to see it visually. So that is my top pick, but this one has a better story, characters etc.... Kokkoku is more gimmicky.... like Anji or whatever that one was... most of those are based on flimsy setups... like Attack on Titan.... alive in the walls? Really!?!?! That's insane, so I had to drop it... couldn't wait for any half assed explanation for that... which I doubt every came. :wacko: I'm too old to let that slide by without protest... same with everything in life.... as long as you don't know, you don't care... but if you do, suddenly you are presented with the need to choose... to care or not... a relationship... to look the other way and live the lie along with the other/s or to walk away etc. IMO, a good story doesn't ask that of you... it continues to draw you in without any need to pretend 'the emperor is wearing clothes'... to use that old analogy. This character of Violet reminds me of the true story of the girl in Torey Hayden's book/s "One Child" and its sequel, "Tiger's Child": http://www.torey-hayden.com/the_tigers_child.htm There's an incredibly good real scene in which the girl comes to realize what others think/feel etc... utilizing "The Little Prince" to teach about friendship etc. ... rather dramatic, but then all stories dealing with emotionally damaged kids/people are...

:eek: But not to worry, it doesn't look like Violet's story is going in that direction... that would be very unusual in any country, in any format of storytelling.... as the real ones are much more emotional, gripping than these made up ones... these are all safer to view from afar... though the impression is that Violet, or at least those 'dolls of war' like her, the other orphans, might indeed be more like that. I do wonder if some of that or her memories might not come back around in later episodes.

gdpetti said:
like this ep, it seems all the office staff will get their own episode to flesh out their backgrounds... It's just good writing, hard not to like it. You know they will have to have the reveal on the Major's death at some point in her character development.. probably for the season ending episode? I wonder if this cour is the first book or both? Ongoing I think it was.
actually the novel ended! 1'cour, so no age barrier in that princess' marriage... unlike Koiame but better #6 of a scribe, next i hope sexy ghostwriter 0wn ep!:(

I'm loving this series.

The Art is amazing, the characters are captivating, and the different clients each week have interesting emotions to teach to our thawing ice queen typist. :D

I quite liked this week- Violet's little missing piece of childhood gained at the end was brilliant.

Norren said:
I'm loving this series.

The Art is amazing, the characters are captivating, and the different clients each week have interesting emotions to teach to our thawing ice queen typist. :D

I quite liked this week- Violet's little missing piece of childhood gained at the end was brilliant.
yup AotS candidate! also we saw a bit of her superhuman abilities in ep.7, like managing to walk 3 steps on the lake... almost fantasy genre then action in #8 as female hitokiri, no wonder why she is called 'weapon' (more V's past next):d

Haven't gotten to ep 8 yet, just started 7, but in ep 6 she says she's only 14 yrs old??? :eek: I was thinking 18-22... so, IMO, her character design is making her way older... especially at that age.. even after her street ophan experience and war experience... even if she's tall for her age etc.... especially given her experiences... as they would mold that face into a less than expressionless mask ... IMO of course...

Otherwise, this show has been excellent from the start.. and hasn't changed any... maintaining focus on our MC while simultaneously given the other characters their due and even their own sometimes... rather well written, but 14?! Can't find the adequate emoji for that! Should've drawn her younger from the start then... her life experience would paint some serious stress on her face.... which simply isn't there... and yes, I know, anime is like this. ;)

gdpetti said:
Haven't gotten to ep 8 yet, just started 7, but in ep 6 she says she's only 14 yrs old??? :eek: I was thinking 18-22... so, IMO, her character design is making her way older... especially at that age.. even after her street ophan experience and war experience... even if she's tall for her age etc.... especially given her experiences... as they would mold that face into a less than expressionless mask ... IMO of course...
comparing saint Seiya girls back in the 80s like Saori Kido's age 13, remind me a discussion about JoJo's boys look adult... very moving ep.9 ED song now that violet finally moves on, felt as finale (5 left) unless her MIA major survived?<_<

Well, they did show a gravestone, so, unless he did the philosopher's death routine, he's dead.... which forces her to accept and move on from the past, all of it.... could or should add even more depth to her character arc.
But yes, this one has stayed excellent from the start... which is rare.... so few tropes... the age thing is odd, but typical for anime, and yes, I have seen girls look older on a commercial shoot with makeup on... but that was when I only saw their face... later seeing them on the set, their faces might look 19-20, but their bodies were definitely only about 11 -12.... that was a bit shocking... but explains how they can be used and abused so easily at that age especially... and all that predator crap that accompanies it... which does seem reflected at times in this anime regarding how they treated those street children... was it only females? and no one trains to be super ninja in a year or two.... so 14? :rolleyes: Heck, most of my family was almost full height from 12 to 14... but not filled out and looking like 20... that's my complaint...

Other than that, I find this one of the best this season... and the background of the war's end and potential breaking out anew, does definitely give it depth which is rare in most anime. Her previous life on the streets as an orphan due to war or just family circumstances gives this quite some potential in comparison to the other characters with 'normal' lives growing up etc... the 'outcast' personality... from a young age... and that aristocratic disdain for them seems so WW1 European in attitude... which this setup seems to imply.. so it all fits rather well.... especially for a MC... gives it an edge that most SoL's simply don't have... but fits for a dramatic SoL.

gdpetti said:
Well, they did show a gravestone, so, unless he did the philosopher's death routine, he's dead.... which forces her to accept and move on from the past, all of it.... could or should add even more depth to her character arc.
But yes, this one has stayed excellent from the start... which is rare.... so few tropes...
also a quality like studio Ghibli or Makoto Shinkai's films, ep'10 made me cry... at first i thought 'that busybody brat tests our patience', still i prefer this ED :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnNGsqpl-ww

Yeah, ep 10 I just watched... very dramatic.. very well written on all levels... very rare to see without any tropes, any melodrama.... from start to finish... very, very well written. Very emotional on a rather raw level... reminds me of a key moment in Rakugo.. it's rare to see this quality of writing.
...the juxtaposition of how the girl growing up, receives the letters over the years, at first in tears, but later years in smiles understanding her mother, now long gone.... then Violet's return to the office where she unloads her own tears from writing those letters that whole week... knowing the situation.... even earlier, I really liked that the girl figured out the truth of her mother's health.. the writer didn't make her foolish or stupid... especially since it's just her and her mother.. and staff... the writer didn't take the easy trope escape
This really reinforces Violet's character, adds depth to her and ALL the other characters. Very impressive writing... and the direction if very good as well.... the use of light and darkness to push the non emotions vs emotions... in the earlier 9th ep involving her 'major'... haven't watched ep 11 yet.

This is one of those rare animes... LN based... so it's continuing... a new book just came out I think this month?... .I wonder if it's included in this 14 ep? cour or not?

====Just finished ep 11... again, excellent writing on all fronts... especially in the ongoing character development in our MC Violet... wow! it's like an advanced example in how to successfully write a story arc. Rather impressive in any format. Netflix picked a good project with this one or whoever recommended it....

gdpetti said:
Just finished ep 11... again, excellent writing on all fronts... especially in the ongoing character development in our MC Violet... wow! it's like an advanced example in how to successfully write a story arc. Rather impressive in any format. Netflix picked a good project with this one or whoever recommended it....
it owns Kujisuna too! still skilled enough V won't kill anymore, just'like Kenshin ;p hired no matter the risk and place... be named Menace or now Intense in # 12·cliffhanger, her memorizing with fingers reminds me Monster's inspector b)

but the writing here in Violet is much better... though the whole setup is fantasy IMO of taking street orphans and turning them quickly into samurai type killing machines... :wacko: But, other than that bit, the writing here is extremely good... rather realistic, very emotional and even that is used well in the development of all the characters, the general environment, the main story etc. Only a few eps left I think... .3... though the LNs are continuing... haven't seen better writing in any anime, this one is definitely up there with the best... adult as well, and perhaps that's one reason why... it seems that adults writing for children have a habit of dumbing it down too much... too elementary school targeted perhaps? not even teen it seems from most of the writing... but these seinen stories are just written better.. more realistic.. easier to identify with the characters that aren't complete tropes etc. This is the only one this season I really look forward to... though I do prefer to see a few eps at a time... but this series is setup in chapters that don't need that sense of continuity.... so watching one ep a week wouldn't hurt it... much..... it's still easier to maintain the character development in multiple eps... I usually try to watch the end of the last ep to remind me of what's going on... most stories aren't that memorable. ;)

Whereas this one I could see as a film.... or live action tv series... no changes needed.

gdpetti said:
the writing here in Violet is much better... though the whole setup is fantasy IMO of taking street orphans and turning them quickly into samurai type killing machines... :wacko:
yet unlike 'Mary Sues' she didn't save the day alone in ep'13, tearing arms ALA GITS and that high·heeled guy's hero time... 1 left but again felt as finale since V met her mayor's mother, by last reaction I wonder if he's alive after all :huh:

No, I don't think the small smile after looking up at the end, was that kind of shock... as the family et al, would know he died for real.... buried a real body.... as they found her sans arms, so the troops taking the place would've found him dead.... so I think we can forget the major's return to duty/life.... but it did seem as if Violet pleasantly recognized the person who answered the door at the end of the last ep.

Wikipedia has an OVA release with the Blueray/DVD release disk on July 4.... so that should be the last word.... unless the LN writer decides to continue the story... assuming that this anime finished those 3 LNs... and on wikipedia it says it's a new work for the anime... so a wrapup sort of story to finish this story off? assuming no desire to continue comes later?

The letter dropping by the service was interesting and a nice way to finish off Violet's lesson in the meaning of love for her.... the war finally ends with a peace settlement beforehand... another symbol of things wrapping up to a close... next ep14 should finish that off... not sure what the OVA will be in July.... unless it's a continuation of the LN.. or anime? Not all writers want to write LNs do they? they could continue this another cour if the writer wants, and if the ratings is high enough, or however they are generating the revenue.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back