Too dependent on the internet?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Do you think we have become too dependent on the internet?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Unsure

• Total voters

solarwing

-ero-sennin
Retired
People are spending greater amounts of time online...just wanted to share this with some of you who are interested but here's a little interesting article about the increasing amount of time we spend online and how dependent we have become on it. I actually borrowed this topic from another forum.

QUOTE The Score: Teens Highly Engaged Online
March 16, 2006
By comScore Media Metrix

Having grown up with broadband internet access, those aged 12 to 17 have integrated online activity into their daily lives.

Increased broadband penetration has helped make the current generation of youngsters far more internet savvy than their predecessors. The current crop of teens (age 12 to 17) has grown up with the internet in their homes, and most have entered their teen years with high-speed access. The internet has opened up new communication channels -- including instant messenger, email, chats and blogs -- that teens are integrating into their daily lives. Their fluency in virtual communication has led to unprecedented levels of online engagement among them.

* Teens (age 12 to 17) spent an average of 1,233 minutes online during February 2006, up 19 percent from a year ago.

* Communication-related activities account for the lion’s share of time spent online by teens in February 2006. Time spent using instant messengers ranks highest, with teens spending 489 minutes per month using IM, up 41 percent from last year. Email ranked second at 176 minutes per visitor (up 33 percent) and discussion/chat ranked third at 159 minutes per visitor (up 46 percent).

* Online gaming also accounts for much of teens’ time online. They spent an average of 87 minutes on Online Gaming sites, and 51 minutes on Gaming Information sites. Time spent at Online Gaming sites, however, declined 42 percent from last year. EA Online still ranks among the top 10 properties in terms of engagement, though it has experienced a 67 percent decline in average minutes per visitor to 72 in February.

* In February, teens spent the most time on Time-Warner (AOL) sites, averaging 368 minutes per visitor, up 22 percent from last year. MySpace.com ranked second at 263 minutes per visitor, a nine-percent increase over last year, and Yahoo! Sites ranked third with 189 minutes per visitor, which represents an 11-percent increase.

NOTE: this is only part of the article only listing relevent information for tables and statistics go to the source.

Source: http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/8691.asp

The internet has become an integral part of our lives and our dependency is growing day by day, community sites such as myspace.com are big players in this movement as well.
An increasing number of people are dating online with video chat instead of actually going out to meet the person. My biggest fear is that the internet replaces personal contact while giving people the ability to basically live their entire life just stitting at home.
And in my opinion it has already happened it's just getting worse, I know that for a few people, having their internet go down for a day is like a death sentence.

Please discuss the poll I want to see where the sentiment of the majority lies.

QUOTE (solarwing @ Jun 23 2006, 10:16 AM)My biggest fear is that the internet replaces personal contact while giving people the ability to basically live their entire life just stitting at home.
That is a false fear. Sure it can happend to some people, but that is their choice. No one has to be afraid of it. If you don't want to do it, don't! If others want to do it, Let them. They will eventually realize it if they are missing something.

Beside, living on the internet is only a phase. They are talking about the 12 - 17. That group uses it alot because it allows them the "mobility" they don't have. At that age, you don't ahve a car, you don't have the money to travel. So the internet allows you to easily talk to your friends and to make friends in far away places.

But the truth is that the "dependance" on the internet goes down when you start to grow up. When you get start working with a job people usally start using it differently. They don't "live" in front of their computer anymore.

So I don't think there is anything to be concerned about. Each generation has had something they did massively because it was new to them. But it did not make them better or worst than the people coming before or after them.

Compare it to Videogames, the "devil" of the previous generation. Internet allows inforamtion to move extremely quicly acellerating the devlopment of many things, products, services, and political.

That is because that information is apprehended faster, and usually is not scheduled to be out to the people later, like the news or newspaper. information is limitless on the web because numerous people have their hands on that information.

however, because of that, some of these informations are false, so we don't really rely on the internet. that's why some people still gather information to see if information was true.

I'd actually strech this further and say dependent on technology, rather than the internet. Perhaps we rely on the internet too much, but I wouldn't say the majority depends on it. If the internet suddenly went down, even the teens in the article who are "dependent" would just pick up the phone and start chatting that way.

QUOTE (Short_Pointless_life @ Jun 23 2006, 08:38 PM) I know for a fact I have become too dependant on the internet and I honest don't care.
All I have to say is that its not that bad, its better internet addiction than a drug addiction or something like that.........but the sports and health issue will be a terrible thing once you reach your late 20's and early 30's........after being on a chair for so long ,you usually let sports aside and then your body starts feeling it......

If you eat well and do exercise 3 times per week at least, then you probably can stay online a whole day safely.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (solarwing @ Jun 23 2006, 10:53 AM) All I have to say is that its not that bad, its better internet addiction than a drug addiction or something like that.........but the sports and health issue will be a terrible thing once you reach your late 20's and early 30's........after being on a chair for so long ,you usually let sports aside and then your body starts feeling it......

If you eat well and do exercise 3 times per week at least, then you probably can stay online a whole day safely.
biggrin.gif

Sports arent my thing...but I go on daily walks and I am a Lactose Intolerant Vegetarian.. lol....
Me gaining weight is not likely even after sitting all day haha...

I spend over 18 hours on internet and 4 hours in bed, 2 hours on food and the rest on tv, bathroom, tv, then some more tv and maybe some more tv.

QUOTE (noob @ Jun 23 2006, 10:48 PM) I spend over 18 hours on internet and 4 hours in bed, 2 hours on food and the rest on tv, bathroom, tv, then some more tv and maybe some more tv.
Quite impressive..........
laugh.gif

Just too bad am not able to do that too.........
biggrin.gif

not noob enough i'd say
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (noob @ Jun 23 2006, 11:15 PM) not noob enough i'd say
biggrin.gif

Lol........
laugh.gif

So not to go off topic, I must say that I have some friends who are way too much dependent on the internet........everything they do is online, if they could actually stay at home with their computer, they would do it.......for example I ask them to go play a football match and have fun, they would not come, rather play on the internet.....when I want to meet them for a chat or hang out, they would say : "see you on MSN".........well luckily it does not happen all the time but it does occur sometimes.

So I was wondering whether they had really become that dependent on the internet. Mind you they are not 12-17 year olds, some are as old as 38, 39....my colleagues actually...and at work, what do you think they would talk about?
About internet of course, well at that age they wont download animes but rather movies....

Well if you had somewhat similar experiences, you can share them with us
wink.gif

QUOTE The internet has become an integral part of our lives and our dependency is growing day by day, community sites such as myspace.com are big players in this movement as well.
An increasing number of people are dating online with video chat instead of actually going out to meet the person. My biggest fear is that the internet replaces personal contact while giving people the ability to basically live their entire life just stitting at home.
And in my opinion it has already happened it's just getting worse, I know that for a few people, having their internet go down for a day is like a death sentence.

Please discuss the poll I want to see where the sentiment of the majority lies.

I dont do much of the things u said nor do i use msn much. i see there is no use in msn if u can actually see the person everyday..... Anyway i voted unsure see as bold said its mainly teenagers that use the internet but as soon as they start to be independant, working etc.... they tend to slowly drift away from using the internet that much. So therefore its not actually getting worse.

You can never become too dependent on the internet. In the future internet will become everything. It will become our lives, everything for us.

QUOTE (MKK2004 @ Jun 24 2006, 04:05 AM)no internet = no fansubs = no moe factor

therefore no internet = death
Yep no internet = no fansubs
Interesting equation I would say
wink.gif

QUOTE (megaman @ Jun 24 2006, 10:22 AM)of course!! without internet, i cannot find my dream!!
smile.gif

I completely agree with that, how would have been our life without the internet?!!
blink.gif

QUOTE (Daedroth @ Jun 24 2006, 04:03 PM)You can never become too dependent on the internet. In the future internet will become everything. It will become our lives, everything for us.
I'll have to agree with that too, though not 100%. But like Bold said before, it all comes down to your own choice, but then would you be able to resist the urge to use the internet?! I mean those who are addicted to it.

QUOTE (solarwing @ Jun 24 2006, 08:15 AM) I completely agree with that, how would have been our life without the internet?!!
blink.gif

it'll be a very very very boring life....
tongue.gif
only work... eat.... sleep... school... no fun at all..
tongue.gif

Daed has planned to take over the world with internet. Luckily, I shall eliminate him before he becomes too much of an openent. Oh how could I forget, I should also bribe mkk and smilelolz to join my army. www and mega are not that strong. But, I shall have them assassinate daed and solar, then bold the philosopher and eventually tomo and mune.

Aight, here's the plan, I'll cover and support you, now go on and kill 'em all mega.

Internet is not that useful. But without it, many people would die. Specially the ones surrounding me, or the ones who piss me off... The rest of society are just lucky that in Alberta, guns are not out in the street laying down, waiting for you to pick em up.

I believe that having the internet makes life a bit more interesting. There are so many things you can do ( reasearch, fansubs, games, fasubs, movies, etc.=more fansubs
tongue.gif
).

It's possible to live without the internet....................Sorry must have lost my mind for a sec. Xp

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back