HD DVD or BLU RAY DISC

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Jamjum

-san
Sempai
Hey ive been wondering about how the things between ps3 and xbox 360 will handle it
out as i see that ps3 will be running the blu ray disc witch will be magnificant but xbox
360 has hd dvd
sad.gif
witch you have to buy ( 200$ ) it seems over-priced i think..... im
waiting for you all to decide reply back and tell me what these systems will be against in
the future and what will happen because i can't give you all the info.

-need info
biggrin.gif
-

Blu ray and HD DVD for films have little difference as far as I know. PS3 also uses Blu ray for wgames (which is nice sinceit has 25 gb available) whereas the Xbox 360 will not.

As to which on is better....noone knows, but I think Blu Ray has the edge due to support and larger space.

If you want more info, be more specific please.

I recently heard Sony recalled a huge number of their PS3 consoles because the blu-ray disc was still malfunctioning. Overall, HD DVD and Blu Ray disc are pretty close, but I'm not sure what the difference is. Processor maybe?

....aka don't buy Sony's stuff until you know it works lol.

i'm really not sure of which is best.. i think it's too early to know. being the best format isn't enough, it's also important for it to be cheap to manufacture! if a blu-ray disc costs $1 and a HDDVD disc costs $0.50, a whole lot of people will prefer HDDVD..

so i'll most definitely wait. it's far too early to spend money on either format.

QUOTE (darkdog @ Nov 17 2006, 06:47 PM) i'm really not sure of which is best.. i think it's too early to know. being the best format isn't enough, it's also important for it to be cheap to manufacture! if a blu-ray disc costs $1 and a HDDVD disc costs $0.50, a whole lot of people will prefer HDDVD..

so i'll most definitely wait. it's far too early to spend money on either format.
ok yea i see what you mean so maybe i should wait to get the extension for the Xbox 360
wink.gif
but then again i broke my controller due to um... some mental problems heh....
unsure.gif

fixed BOLD

I hope blue-ray wins. I have like most people a massive collections of cr*p on disks. Anything that can shrink down the number of disks without deleting stuff rules.

Being serous now. Blue-ray is superior because it supports more stuff and has more space. However being Sony most problems with it are from shortages of key components.
Hd-dvd has a little more space on it I believe it is at 12gigs and gives sharper detail.
The one that will win will probably be hd-dvd from it being advertized and more support for it.
Shakes head remembering vhs vs. betamax

personally, all i want is the best reliability / price ratio. the capacity difference isn't enough for me to care..

what i really really want is, like, 4GB floppies or something like that
smile.gif
there's no decent "middle-ground alternative" to dvds and usb flash drives.. why were MD drives so expensive?:/ (end of rant)

QUOTE (donald7777 @ Dec 03 2006, 07:05 PM)
Shakes head remembering vhs vs. betamax
It is very similar. One main difference. Beta was technologically superior, but more expensive due to licensing issues. So most tech people supported Beta while business oriented people supported VHS. The rest is history!

In the case of blue-ray VS HD-DVD, there is no clear superior technologically speaking. The one advantages HD-DVD has is better interoperability with the current DVD format. Blue ray has more space.

I won't take a guess has to who will win because I don't think anyone can tell as of now. The players are too big. Only time will tell.

I think Blu-Ray will win the war. Well, it actually depends on how well the PS3 does if you think about it. Sony is a strong supporter for Blu-Ray, but the 360 supports HD-DVD, if Sony manages to sell more of their consoles and get out of the rut their in, Blu-Ray would become more popular since more people would have PS3's. In the end, I'm all for Blu-Ray, since space is much larger and the quality difference is very small compared to HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray has more supporters, many more companies are supporting Blu-Ray rather than HD-DVD, Blu-Ray costs more but is more reliable, in the end the difference is small but your gonna want to stick with Blu-Ray because its getting more attention from film companies. But the technical specs are very slim, with slight differences in optics and track pitch.

I'd rather stick with DvD's for now. Until they start putting multiple movies on 1 disk then its a waste of money.

Why have more space when your only going to use the same amount of space a dvd has.

Now were going to have to start buying new players for the new disks
sad.gif

QUOTE (Rail2k4 @ Dec 04 2006, 01:59 AM) Why have more space when your only going to use the same amount of space a dvd has.

Not true at all. In fact, since Blu-Ray hold s much more than a DVD, many more bonus features will be added in. Movie and other companies supporting Blu-Ray will be able to do things that a DVD couldn't do. With more space comes more opportunity, the current Blu-Ray releases wont feature much yet, but future Blu-Ray releases will have a lot more. Plus extended movie editions will be able to fit nicely in 1 Blu-Ray. Remember the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition, it took 4 DVD's to hold the entire film plus bonus features. Most DVD films come with 2 DVD's, one for the film and the other for bonus features, now all that can fit onto 1 Blu-Ray. They may even start making video games as extra features, so don't worry about having that extra space, in a few years, we will be saying that we need more space since video formats are growing in file size every year. Soon 1 gig will be the next mb and a terabyte will be the next gig.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Dec 03 2006, 10:53 PM) Sony is a strong supporter for Blu-Ray, but the 360 supports HD-DVD, if Sony manages to sell more of their consoles and get out of the rut their in, Blu-Ray would become more popular since more people would have PS3's.
Console is a infinitely small part of the optical disk market. They will have close to no impact on the real outcome of this competition.

Don't forget that console lived for a long time on a media of their own -> cartridge.

The market penetration of a technology like the DVD is probably above 80%. Meaning above 80% of people have a DVD player to watch movies. Consoles on the other hands are owned only by a small portion of the population.

Price and I don't mean distribution price, will probably be a deciding factor in the end. The question is how much does it cost to get the parts and how many of those parts are parts unique to this product.

QUOTE (Rail2k4 @ Dec 04 2006, 01:59 AM)I'd rather stick with DvD's for now. Until they start putting multiple movies on 1 disk then its a waste of money. This technology is not only for movies. It will be used to hold computer data as well. There are also some people that want this badly, mainly the people who have HD TV system. more space means you can use higher quality.

But interoperation with older technology will be an absolute must. That is one of the advantages of HD-DVD, it is easier to design the same drive to be able to read both a DVD-ROM disk a HD-DVD.

One point I totally agree on with you is, that you can't ask people to throw out their old movies simply because you found a brand new highly efficient technology. It needs to be accepted by the market and that takes time.

I think blu-ray will win the war. If you think about it the drive's going to appear in mainly dvd players, computers and laptops. Sony are also quite a well known brand for all of these things and i think phillips or panasonic are seeling blu-ray drives. Whilst i haven't really seen many hd dvd drives advertised only in these toshiba laptops so from my point of view it looks like blu ray is winning.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back