Computer Help

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu
Retired
My school just threw out some old laptops (Windows 2000 Professional). Unfortunately, I only found one stick of RAM for it (don't even know how big) and the HDD and OS is wiped clean.

So I'm currently looking for some suggestions on what would be the best OS to install and how could I create a bootdisk to install the OS (since turning it on doesn't do anything at this point as it shows a black screen and simply shuts down shortly afer). I can't give the specs of the computer except that its a Dell and has a 40gb hard drive I believe.

Can someone help me?

The only free OS is linux and the best way to obtain a copy of that is by downloading an ISO and then burning the ISO onto a CD/DVD.

If you want something reasonably user friendly you could try Ubuntu which is just one of the many different versions of linux available.

From my understanding of installing an OS onto a clean computer all you should have to do is pop the disc in the CD drive and the computer should boot off the disc. If it doesn't you might be able to push ESC/F8 or some other key and access the BIOS. Once you get into the BIOS you should be able to choose the order that the computer loads information from. You would probably want the CD drive to be first.

It really deppends on what kind of Opereating system you like the best. My suggestion would be to install a Linux distro on the laptop. If you want to go with a windows like distro in my opinion OpenSUSE does a great job especially if you install it with the KDE gui, I have used it before and it looks great. Linux will make an old computer run like new.
If you dont mind using something that is unlike windows one of the best options would be Ubuntu with Gnome gui, Ubuntu also comes in a KDE form called Kubuntu which is more like windows. Ubuntu is one of the best distros and has a huge community that is friendly and helpful.
Linux Mint is derived from ubuntu and comes with all the stuff someone new to Linux needs.
Installing Linux distros is easy, just go to the distro's web site download the ISO and just burn it to a dvd dics, i think you can also get a cd version but Im not sure.
The black screen sounds bad but as long as you can get into the bios i think you are ok.

QUOTE (oppai-ga-suki @ Apr 21 2008, 07:32 PM) It really deppends on what kind of Opereating system you like the best. My suggestion would be to install a Linux distro on the laptop. If you want to go with a windows like distro in my opinion OpenSUSE does a great job especially if you install it with the KDE gui, I have used it before and it looks great. Linux will make an old computer run like new.
If you dont mind using something that is unlike windows one of the best options would be Ubuntu with Gnome gui, Ubuntu also comes in a KDE form called Kubuntu which is more like windows. Ubuntu is one of the best distros and has a huge community that is friendly and helpful.
Linux Mint is derived from ubuntu and comes with all the stuff someone new to Linux needs.
Installing Linux distros is easy, just go to the distro's web site download the ISO and just burn it to a dvd dics, i think you can also get a cd version but Im not sure.
The black screen sounds bad but as long as you can get into the bios i think you are ok.
Well anywhere from the range of Linux, Windows, or Mac with Windows and Linux being the more preferable since Macs can't play a lot of things/other apps unless I have boot camp.

Is it possible to obtain the boot files for free via direct download?

Also, I'm not sure, but the black screne maybe just the result of nothing to load or startup from so by programming definition, it would just shut down since it can't do anything.

Can you get into the bio I think it can funtion without the os but it wouldnt go any furter from the bio though lol if you can get that far then u can install a new os if not hummm =/ I do have some boot disk somewhere my teacher gave me long ago though although i would need to find it haha...

QUOTE (langes01x @ Apr 21 2008, 09:21 PM) The only free OS is linux and the best way to obtain a copy of that is by downloading an ISO and then burning the ISO onto a CD/DVD.

If you want something reasonably user friendly you could try Ubuntu which is just one of the many different versions of linux available.

From my understanding of installing an OS onto a clean computer all you should have to do is pop the disc in the CD drive and the computer should boot off the disc. If it doesn't you might be able to push ESC/F8 or some other key and access the BIOS. Once you get into the BIOS you should be able to choose the order that the computer loads information from. You would probably want the CD drive to be first.
That's true but if the school removed the Dell Windows after market serial code, they did something illegal. That copy of windows that was on that machine belongs to that machine and only that machine. You can not reuse or resell after market windows copies. If the machine is not even showing a BIOS when you turn it on, then the memory is probably not the correct memory for it. It's also possible that the reason they threw it out was that there was a hardware defect, i.e. the ribbon cable that runs the monitor became torn or the battery does not stay charged etc etc.

QUOTE (Mowerman @ Apr 21 2008, 10:29 PM) That's true but if the school removed the Dell Windows after market serial code, they did something illegal. That copy of windows that was on that machine belongs to that machine and only that machine. You can not reuse or resell after market windows copies. If the machine is not even showing a BIOS when you turn it on, then the memory is probably not the correct memory for it. It's also possible that the reason they threw it out was that there was a hardware defect, i.e. the ribbon cable that runs the monitor became torn or the battery does not stay charged etc etc.
What they did is not illegal. It is the same as someone who bought a Dell PC thinking "I don't like windows anymore" and removing it from the computer. Of course they can't transfer the license but that isn't possible anyways because most Dell computers don't come with a disc to install windows in the first place. You get windows installed directly on the computer and if it gets wiped you can't get it back unless you send it back in to the company.

You are right though about the black screen. If it isn't even showing an option to boot into the bios or anything that could be a problem.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that you can get the image file that you need to burn Ubuntu at this site: Ubuntu

You can get it through direct download, bittorrent, or even a disc mailed to you I believe.

Supposedly there is a new version coming out in two days though so you could always wait until then and get the newest version possible.

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Apr 21 2008, 09:04 PM) Can you get into the bio I think it can funtion without the os but it wouldnt go any furter from the bio though lol if you can get that far then u can install a new os if not hummm =/ I do have some boot disk somewhere my teacher gave me long ago though although i would need to find it haha...
No I can't get anywhere. Nothing shows up even after hitting the F8, F1 buttons, etc...

QUOTE (Mowerman @ Apr 21 2008, 09:29 PM)QUOTE (langes01x @ Apr 21 2008, 09:21 PM) The only free OS is linux and the best way to obtain a copy of that is by downloading an ISO and then burning the ISO onto a CD/DVD.

That's true but if the school removed the Dell Windows after market serial code, they did something illegal. That copy of windows that was on that machine belongs to that machine and only that machine. You can not reuse or resell after market windows copies. If the machine is not even showing a BIOS when you turn it on, then the memory is probably not the correct memory for it. It's also possible that the reason they threw it out was that there was a hardware defect, i.e. the ribbon cable that runs the monitor became torn or the battery does not stay charged etc etc.
They didn't resell it. They originally were going to throw it away/recycle it. However, they leave it out for students to take if they want it. All they did was just wipe the OS and hard drive all of which contained private information belonging to the school. So in essence it was for privacy issues. They were never trying to sell them.

The battery does stay charged, but I think I need a disk to boot off of to even get anywhere first.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Apr 21 2008, 10:14 PM)QUOTE (Mowerman @ Apr 21 2008, 10:29 PM) That's true but if the school removed the Dell Windows after market serial code, they did something illegal. That copy of windows that was on that machine belongs to that machine and only that machine. You can not reuse or resell after market windows copies. If the machine is not even showing a BIOS when you turn it on, then the memory is probably not the correct memory for it. It's also possible that the reason they threw it out was that there was a hardware defect, i.e. the ribbon cable that runs the monitor became torn or the battery does not stay charged etc etc.
What they did is not illegal. It is the same as someone who bought a Dell PC thinking "I don't like windows anymore" and removing it from the computer. Of course they can't transfer the license but that isn't possible anyways because most Dell computers don't come with a disc to install windows in the first place. You get windows installed directly on the computer and if it gets wiped you can't get it back unless you send it back in to the company.

You are right though about the black screen. If it isn't even showing an option to boot into the bios or anything that could be a problem.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that you can get the image file that you need to burn Ubuntu at this site: Ubuntu

You can get it through direct download, bittorrent, or even a disc mailed to you I believe.

Supposedly there is a new version coming out in two days though so you could always wait until then and get the newest version possible.

yeah I'll wait. If it doesn't boot, I might just use the ram stick for my Compaq laptop. Would that cause problems?

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Apr 21 2008, 11:23 PM) Well anywhere from the range of Linux, Windows, or Mac with Windows and Linux being the more preferable since Macs can't play a lot of things/other apps unless I have boot camp.

Is it possible to obtain the boot files for free via direct download?

Also, I'm not sure, but the black screne maybe just the result of nothing to load or startup from so by programming definition, it would just shut down since it can't do anything.
Yes you can get the boot files for free for direct download or if you prefer you can also torrent the iso.

I think its impossible to boot any disk if you cant get into the bios to check if the boot from cd option is the first one. Most computers come with the cd boot option first by default, well at least all the ones I have owned.

In my opinion the best option would be to burn a linux disrto and see if you can get the cd to boot.

If the cd doesnt boot you will have to find a way to get into the bios, you might want to try the F2 or F10 at start, if they dont work just try all the F keys, If nothing happens the computer might not have a bios which is a problem.

I dont adding ram to the computer will be a problem either.

QUOTE (oppai-ga-suki @ Apr 22 2008, 12:59 PM) Yes you can get the boot files for free for direct download or if you prefer you can also torrent the iso.

I think its impossible to boot any disk if you cant get into the bios to check if the boot from cd option is the first one. Most computers come with the cd boot option first by default, well at least all the ones I have owned.

In my opinion the best option would be to burn a linux disrto and see if you can get the cd to boot.

If the cd doesnt boot you will have to find a way to get into the bios, you might want to try the F2 or F10 at start, if they dont work just try all the F keys, If nothing happens the computer might not have a bios which is a problem.

I dont adding ram to the computer will be a problem either.
I haven't tried all the F keys yet, but I think the bios issue is that because my school wiped it completely clean, there is absolutely nothing on there and that includes the bios, unless of course you can't erase the bios.

I just looked it up, pressing the delete key should take you directly into the bios, if delete does not work the the computer might not find the bios or there might not be a bios.

QUOTE (oppai-ga-suki @ Apr 22 2008, 02:13 PM) I just looked it up, pressing the delete key should take you directly into the bios, if delete does not work the the computer might not find the bios or there might not be a bios.
I just looked it up and it says for a DELL latitude it should be F2. So I tried, but it didn't work. There might not be a Bios. Is there a way to install one with the boot disk. Also remember, I can't use torrents... not for a while that is.

Also, which one of these should I download then if the computer use to run a Windows 2000 Professional OS? http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc

The delete button is supposed to work for all computer brands, so if that didnt work you only have three options left .

1. you can contact dell and ask them for a new bios chip which will cost you a bit of money and can only be done if dell still manufactures them.

2. Get the computer a new mother board, its the most expensive option

3 you would just have to flash the bios yourself asuming that the bios chip isnt corrupted because if it is you would have to get one from dell, and if dell doesnt manufacture them anymore you need a new mother board.

Sorry for the double post.

Im just wondering if you currentlyhave any ram on the computer when you try to star it.

if you are not using any ram it could be a problem because the computer cannot run processes if ram isnt present and it will just usually turn off.

If you werent using ram on it try it with ram and see what happens, If the problems presits, it could deffinitely be a problem eith the bios

Appearently I found the disk I was talking about It have quite a few Boot Diskette files for many different OS. Im not too sure what they uses for or how to use it but seeing it was from my Teacher in his computer class 3 years ago so I dont believe it should be bad. It may help in fixing that laptop.

Also by the time if u get it working u be missing many driver for sound, video, and others since it got wipe clean. So you will need to look at the laptop for model number and other stuff to find the stuff on the net =)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QE10OOGJ

insert a cd and keep on hitting f8?

You dont really need to look for the drivers, the OS isntallation should take care of that for you. Just make sure that if you are going to do anything the computers has some ram in it

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Apr 22 2008, 03:30 PM) I just looked it up and it says for a DELL latitude it should be F2. So I tried, but it didn't work. There might not be a Bios. Is there a way to install one with the boot disk. Also remember, I can't use torrents... not for a while that is.

Also, which one of these should I download then if the computer use to run a Windows 2000 Professional OS? http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc
Go to the closest mirror to where you live and choose the "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD". That should give you the ISO file which you can burn to a CD to install the OS.

If the system has less than 384MB of RAM and I'm fairly sure it would you might be better off downloading the "PC (Intel x86) alternate install CD". The only drawback with the alternate CD is that you can't run Ubuntu until it is installed on your computer and it MAY only have a text based installer. That being said it could possibly have a graphical installer but I wouldn't know as I have never had to use the Alternate CD.

Also I would like to add that it is almost impossible for a person to 'delete' the BIOS as the BIOS is stored on a totally different chip than any of the other software that the computer contains. Many BIOS chips are also read-only so it would be nearly impossible that it was erased.

QUOTE (oppai-ga-suki @ Apr 22 2008, 06:40 PM) You dont really need to look for the drivers, the OS isntallation should take care of that for you. Just make sure that if you are going to do anything the computers has some ram in it
Well tell that to my built computer and my tower I gave to my sis I had to install drivers. The OS will install certain things but not everything. As for ram computer cant run without it

I have only one stick of RAM and it usually runs on two, but someone seemed to have swiped the other stick before I found the laptop alone. The computer usually is a 512mb ram so I'm assuming now it's just a 256 ram
tongue.gif

As for my other question, would it be safe if I replaced my current computer's ram with this stick of ram assuming the dell ends up not working?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back