AnoHana

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

julez

-chibi
Retired

Title: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (lol it would not fit in the thread title bar)
Genre: drama, slice-of-life
Premiered: April 15th 2011
Animation Studio: Aniplex, A-1 Pictures
Director: Nagai Tatsuyuki (Honey and Clover II, Toradora)

Opening Theme:"Aoi Shiori (青い栞)" by Galileo Galilei
Ending Theme: "secret base ~Kimi ga Kureta Mono~ (secret base ~君がくれたもの~)" by Ai Kayano, Haruka Tomatsu, and Saori Hayami

Cast:
Ai Kayano as Meiko "Menma" Honma
Haruka Tomatsu as Naruko "Anaru" Anjō
Miyu Irino as Jinta "Jintan" Yadomi
Saori Hayami as Chiriko "Tsuruko" Tsurumi
Takahiro Sakurai as Atsumu "Yukiatsu" Matsuyuki
Takayuki Kondou as Tetsudō "Poppo" Hisakawa

Aki Toyosaki as Poppo (child)
Asami Seto as Yukiatsu (child)
Kaoru Mizuhara as Haruna
Mitsuru Ogata as Atsushi Yadomi
Mutsumi Tamura as Jintan (child)
Yui Makino as Aki

Plot:
Six childhood friends grew apart in high school. One of them is Jintan, now a shut-in. He gets a request to fulfill a wish for Menma, the only one of their friends to have stayed the same over the years. In order to grant her wish, he will have to find and reunite their old friends.
(Source: ANN)

Thoughts:
Again, I have yet to watch the first episode, will do later today. I heard that it's very sad and depressing, so you might want to have a box of tissues nearby
tongue.gif

A very good first episode. At first it was confusing about who Menma really is. It felt a bit like a thug at the heart when you realize it. I must say that the characters may be the strongest point in this series but also the weakest part. Everything revolves around them so the writers have to make characters with much depth.
The story looks pretty good. Hopefully this series can fulfill its promise of a very emotional story.

A very touching first episode. While they didn't show the tragedy that befell Menma aside from her slipper in the river (I don't understand why this seems to always be the case), the overall premise of the show is quite solid. While the character designs feel rough and the animation feels cheap coming from A-1, the originality of this show is what really makes it stand out. It is one of the Noitamina's show this season and I really had hopes for this season's Noitamina. This show certainly delivered thus far. I'm a little surprised though to not see Funimation pick this up yet since they have been on a trend of picking up pretty much every Noitamina show within the past few seasons.

To be honest, I think this is going to be quite a gem this season so long as it doesn't pull a Fractale on us. With the Toradora team behind the show as well as the director of Honey and Clover 2 and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, things are looking good for this show. The voice cast is also very strong. While the director also did he crappy Idol Master Xenoglossia and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, he has been on a roll since those projects. Hopefully this show pays off like Toradora did. While the first episode ended on a relatively flat note, hopefully now that all characters have been introduced in their "10 years later" form the character development will really thicken.

Preliminary Expectation: High
Preliminary Score: 9/10

A very touching first episode indeed. This may even be my favourite debut of the spring season. First of all, I love the character designs. I didn't realize from the promo pics that it was the same character designer that did Toradora and Highschool of the Dead. Also the seiyuus are doing a top notch job, even newcomer Kayano Ai is doing an amazing job as Menma.
The biggest question is what Menma's wish is, since she mentioned it before she died it can't just be the group getting back together.
I also wonder how the love triangles will be sorted out. I'm getting a Cross Game vibe because of the seiyuus as well
tongue.gif

WOW!
WOW! that was my first Impression when i finished the first episode. This series along with "Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko" might just be the rosebuds of the spring season. This series has caught my eye, although the animation might seem sloppy, it does give the series a form of character that the developers might be wanting to convey to the audience, because as we have noticed Jintan has a very sloppy character, attitude and overall feel to him. seeing as how this series is being focused around him as the main protagonist, i can see how the environment surrounding the anime can hold a similar feel to Jintan. Of course, as much as I'd like to comment on the voice cast and directors, I, for the life of me can't remember names... so im all out of luck on that section, but i can for sure say that the voices do sound solid and fitting to each character. I'm quite well pleased with the overall feel of this series. Looking forward to more.

Btw... that was one interesting scene at the end of this first episode. I for sure thought He would find her in the hut, that or a bum was now living there... completely threw me off when his old childhood friend waltzed in.

Rating so far:
Art: 9 (Although the animation was not that great, the character design was exceptional... personally.)
Sound: 9
Story: 10 (Loving the development)

Overall feel (not average): 10, WATCH IT!

Almost didnt see this thread because 90% of the title is missing. Would be better to ad the full title in my eyes.

And now to the ep itself. It was really good. The atmosphere, the characters, the story, everything was just great. Especially the OP and the ED are totally fitting with their melancholic vibe, even though they are bad itself.

The anime totally reminds me on something. I dont know if it was an anime or an real life movie or even a game, but there was one with an dead character who came back as a ghost which was pretty good too, but there the main character only realised at the end that it was a ghost. A bit like the Scrubs ep where Ben died and Cox couldnt accept it until the end which was pretty sad too.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Apr 17 2011, 10:06 PM) Almost didnt see this thread because 90% of the title is missing. Would be better to ad the full title in my eyes.

The only problem with that is, that it didn't fit. I'll edit it and add as much as I can in the second title bar.

QUOTE While they didn't show the tragedy that befell Menma aside from her slipper in the river (I don't understand why this seems to always be the case), the overall premise of the show is quite solid.

It's a technique to make sure viewers keep watching, like how soap episodes always end with a cliffhanger or a revelation.

This show's first episode left me with a guilty feeling which is quite surprising. Will watch more.

QUOTE (khael @ Apr 17 2011, 09:04 PM)
It's a technique to make sure viewers keep watching, like how soap episodes always end with a cliffhanger or a revelation.

This show's first episode left me with a guilty feeling which is quite surprising. Will watch more.
Not really a technique if we know she's officially dead, which brings me to the point that the whole Menma ghost thing is basically a gimmick and prevented me from giving a 10/10 in my preliminary score. While it adds a twist that Jinta is the only who who can see her, I can't help but think that something may go wrong with this ghost idea (e.g. Menma is not actually dead but in a coma). If Menma was alive (which I hope she isn't in the end), then I could understand why they'd show that scene and not a body. In the end, my logic basically rolls off on the idea that an anime character is not dead unless the body is shown.

I'm also curious about this "guilty feeling." Care to elaborate?

Not really a technique if we know she's officially dead, which brings me to the point that the whole Menma ghost thing is basically a gimmick and prevented me from giving a 10/10 in my preliminary score.

Well as you pointed out, they didn't show "how" it happened. Probably because they don't want the viewers to find out how until Jintan realizes it. That is, unless he already knows how it happened.

Remember Casshern Sins? That show had a "flashback" every episode, revealing the part of what happened but not the whole. I guess I just treat it in a similar way.

QUOTE If Menma was alive

I doubt it. Her mother was praying and making an offering in ep. 1 if you'd recall. She won't do that if she's just in a coma. Well, that's just based on the first episode anyway. We'll find out more after a few more, that's for sure.

I'm also curious about this "guilty feeling." Care to elaborate?

Show reminds me of something personal. It was surprising because I generally never get affected by anime, personally, and because I thought I never really did care about it. Anyway, nuff said.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Apr 17 2011, 03:06 PM) The anime totally reminds me on something. I dont know if it was an anime or an real life movie or even a game, but there was one with an dead character who came back as a ghost which was pretty good too, but there the main character only realised at the end that it was a ghost. A bit like the Scrubs ep where Ben died and Cox couldnt accept it until the end which was pretty sad too.
Sixth Sense?

As for the ep, I'm very glad I didn't miss this one. While the initial hook was a little weak, the entire rest of the episode flowed like a masterpiece. I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite for the season if they can keep it up.

smile.gif
This series sure is making me happy. The story just keeps on getting more interesting. Even when they were kids they had different kinds of connections to each other. Menma wasn't only liked by Jinta as it seems. And Jinta was liked too. This characters just keep on getting more background and due to that this series shines. If it can keep this up this series sure will be the highlight of this season for me
biggrin.gif

2nd episode was also very well done. This episode focused more on Anjou and the person she had become 10 years later. While some of the development was rather shallow, it really provided us at least some insight as to why Anjou became the way she is and how in essence she really is the same person she was before Menma's accident. It should be obvious however, that since Anjou has feelings for Jinta, she's going to play the larger role in supporting Jinta in granting Menma's wish.

The preview for the next episode didn't really provide much detail so it's hard to say what's going to happen. However, what will be interesting is convincing Atsumu and Chiriko to "join" the group again. Atsumu probably won't be as difficult given that he clearly has feelings for Menma (to the extent that he kept her clothes? and sniffs them every now and then?
ph34r.gif
) and thus it probably won't be very interesting. He'll probably have a fight with Jinta and somehow resolve it. Chiriko will probably be the most interesting one considering how much she has changed and how she stands firm in isolating herself from the group.

Nevertheless, I hope they dive even further in some of the character development in the future, but with 2 episodes down, I'd say the staff has done a fair job in developing the plot thus far. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.

the Atsumu is sick! he keep menma's cloths and sniff them, what a prevert....
which is why i think Atsumu indirectly killed menma, he is probably the one that invited menma to the river side, and when menma rejected him, he probably pushed her into the river indirectly.

QUOTE (askara @ Apr 23 2011, 12:59 AM) the Atsumu is sick! he keep menma's cloths and sniff them, what a prevert....
which is why i think Atsumu indirectly killed menma, he is probably the one that invited menma to the river side, and when menma rejected him, he probably pushed her into the river indirectly.
Unless we're missing a big portion of the events after Jinta ran out of the club house along with Menma following, I highly doubt that's the case. Plus, it wouldn't make any sense for Atsumu to kill Menma (directly or indirectly) if he had feelings for her. He may as well attack Jinta instead when he ran out. What's interesting about this episode is how Anjou continues to tell herself that she was the cause of Menma's death with that single question, especially when she herself has feelings for Jinta. With Menma kinda out of the picture, you'd think she would like the opportunity to be able to make a move.

QUOTE (askara @ Apr 23 2011, 08:59 AM) the Atsumu is sick! he keep menma's cloths and sniff them, what a prevert....
I do think it is a little creepy that Atsumu is sniffing Menma's clothes from when she was a CHILD. I understand that he had a crush on her back then, but come on....
However, I seriously doubt he pushed her into the river or anything like that. I do wonder how the accident happened, and it could be he indirectly caused it, but at this point I seriously doubt that.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Apr 23 2011, 07:16 PM)What's interesting about this episode is how Anjou continues to tell herself that she was the cause of Menma's death with that single question, especially when she herself has feelings for Jinta. With Menma kinda out of the picture, you'd think she would like the opportunity to be able to make a move.
This is why it reminds me of Cross Game, sort of and also because of the seiyuus
tongue.gif
I do hope that Anjou makes a move by the end of the show and they get together. For that to happen, she has to stop blaming herself for Menma's death, as it really wasn't her fault at all.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Apr 23 2011, 12:16 PM) Unless we're missing a big portion of the events after Jinta ran out of the club house along with Menma following, I highly doubt that's the case. Plus, it wouldn't make any sense for Atsumu to kill Menma (directly or indirectly) if he had feelings for her. He may as well attack Jinta instead when he ran out. What's interesting about this episode is how Anjou continues to tell herself that she was the cause of Menma's death with that single question, especially when she herself has feelings for Jinta. With Menma kinda out of the picture, you'd think she would like the opportunity to be able to make a move.
i think it is probables, for example, atsumu called or follow menma to river side, and confessed to menma, menma rejected him, he cry and ready to turn around and run away, menma want to say sorry and reach out her hand for atsumu, atsumu slap her hand away, menma lost balance, fell in the river. or the other way round, atsumu fell into the river and menma saved him but die herself. i mean those thing is common in anime.

i actually think everyone has a part in menma's death, jinta's harsh word, anjou's question etc

QUOTE (julezia @ Apr 23 2011, 06:43 PM) I do think it is a little creepy that Atsumu is sniffing Menma's clothes from when she was a CHILD. I understand that he had a crush on her back then, but come on....
However, I seriously doubt he pushed her into the river or anything like that. I do wonder how the accident happened, and it could be he indirectly caused it, but at this point I seriously doubt that.
Having rewatched the first episode (yes already), the part where Jinta reacts to Menma slipping off the wooden fence tells me that Menma was simply a klutz and slipped/fell to her death. Whether she drowned or died from some other injury remains to be seen.

QUOTE (askara @ Apr 24 2011, 02:09 AM)i actually think everyone has a part in menma's death, jinta's harsh word, anjou's question etc
I will hate this series if it goes down that path, because I can't possibly think of any solid execution with that. I don't think Jinta's harsh words had anything to do with it since I'm pretty sure Menma attempted to chase after him after he left. I am considering however the point about "everyone" having a part in Menma's death. That's actually an interesting one that I hadn't thought about.

Again a good ep with a lot of character development for Anjou and Poppo, mainly Anjou. Inside she really didnt change much from back then, but most people dont.
Atsumu really is a creep with still keeping Menmas dress. But with that its not such a surprise that he gets pissed when someone says her name, especially when its Jintan. My guess is that Amutsu holds Jintan responsible for what happened and I dont think he killed her, be it directly or indirectly.
She probably chased after Jintan, fell and drowned.

Thinking a game beeing the reason for Menma coming back is a bit strange, even for kids. Her true wish is probably that everyone makes up again and then beeing friends again since everyone drifted apart.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Apr 24 2011, 09:44 AM) I will hate this series if it goes down that path, because I can't possibly think of any solid execution with that. I don't think Jinta's harsh words had anything to do with it since I'm pretty sure Menma attempted to chase after him after he left. I am considering however the point about "everyone" having a part in Menma's death. That's actually an interesting one that I hadn't thought about.
I see it not so much that its anyone's fault, but everyone blames themselves for it. I've been in this situation twice in my life and believe me, its very hard to swallow when you know that something you could have done differently might have changed the fate of another individual, even if it wasn't the direct cause. It may be extremely irrational, but its a very big step in the accidental death grieiving process that takes a long time for many people to overcome (including myself).

I think this series is going to be very solid if this goes down that road. Turning the series into a big "reunion" for going through the five-step process to acceptance for the members of the group has a lot of potential and is something almost every person can end up relating to in one way or another.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back