Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: The Town Where Only I am Missing (ERASED)
Japanese: 僕だけがいない街 (BokuMachi)
Airing date: 7/1/2016 (TV series 12 episodes)
Theatrical release date: 19/3/2016 (live-action film)
Genres: Supernatural, Thriller, Psychological, Mystery, Drama, Suspense, Seinen
Original creator: Kei Sanbe
Director: Tomohiko Itō
Written by: Taku Kishimoto
Music by: Yuki Kajiura
Character designer: Keigo Sasaki
Art director: Masaru Satō
Animation director: Masashi Ishihama
Sound director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
Director of photography: Toshiaki Aoshima
CG director: Shinji Nasu
Art setting by: Hiroyuki Hasegawa
Color design by: Azusa Sasaki
Prop design by: Masafumi Yokota
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Produced by: Aniplex
Network: Fuji TV (Noitamina)
Opening theme: "Re:Re:" by ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION
ED theme: "Sore wa Chiisa na Hikari no yō na (それは小さな光のような / Like a Little Light)" by Sayuri

Satoru Fujinuma (藤沼 悟) voiced by Shinnosuke Mitsushima (29 years old) and Tao Tsuchiya (10 years old)
Kayo Hinazuki (雛月 加代) voiced by Aoi Yūki
Sachiko Fujinuma (藤沼 佐知子) voiced by Minami Takayama
Airi Katagiri (片桐 愛梨) voiced by Chinatsu Akasaki
Jun Shiratori (白鳥 潤) voiced by Takahiro Mizushima
M.cast:
Kenya Kobayashi (小林 賢也) voiced by Yō Taichí
Hiromi Sugita (杉田 広美) voiced by Akari Kitō
Osamu (修) voiced by Ayaka Nanase
Kazu (カズ) voiced by Yukitoshi Kikuchi
Gaku Yashiro (八代 学) voiced by Mitsuru Miyamoto
Manager Takahashi (高橋店長) voiced by Eiji Takeuchi
Aya Nakanishi (中西 彩)
Others:
TV series PVs: https://www.youtube.com/embed/g8tTxuO1oIY?a...breXD0vQ7a3eUjV
Live-action trailer: https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGeSZQs049M?autoplay=1&rel=0
Official websites: http://www.bokumachi-anime.com & http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/bokumachi (movie)

Synopsis: Struggling manga author Satoru Fujinuma is beset by his fear to express himself. However, he has a supernatural ability of being forced to prevent deaths and catastrophes by being sent back in time before the incident occurred, repeating time until the accident is prevented. One day, he gets involved in an accident that has him framed as a murderer. Desperate to save the victim, he sends himself back in time only to find himself as a grade-schooler one month before fellow classmate Kayo Hinazuki went missing. Satoru now embarks on a new quest: to save Kayo and solve the mystery behind her disappearance.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 04 2016, 03:33 PM)Boku Dake ga Inai Machinow is 100% sure i'll keep watching after ep'1, Satoru's 'yokai' mom was cool
sad.gif

Ok, while I'm here, this one reminded me of a former Fox tv show called "Tru Calling".... in part that is, as well as being similar to various films and tv shows. Tru didn't change into a kid though, as the producers were going after an adult audience: http://www.tv.com/shows/tru-calling/

QUOTE Show Summary

What would you do if you could relive a day? If you're TRU DAVIES (Eliza Dushku), you'd save lives. Tru is a smart and sexy recent college graduate who - when her high-powered medical internship falls through - finds herself working the midnight shift at the city morgue. One night, Tru questions reality when she thinks she hears a murder victim asking for her help. But the next morning, our heroine wakes up to find that she is back at the beginning of that very same day - twelve hours before a death that only she knows about is set to take place. Now with the clock ticking, Tru is compelled to traverse the city over the next twelve hours to try to prevent this tragedy, while at the same time trying to rescue members of her own family from their dangerous and self-destructive lives. With the sexiness and speed of "Run Lola Run," plus the ticking clock suspense of 24, Tru Calling puts a stylish new spin on the procedural crime format as Tru uses her newfound ability to try to stop tragedies before they actually happen. In the series, Tru is surrounded by HARRISON (Shawn Reaves), her handsome and charming younger brother who has a knack for finding trouble; MEREDITH (Jessica Collins), their older sister who has a great career and money, but battles drug addiction; LINDSAY (A.J. Cook), Tru's loyal but unsuspecting best friend; and DAVIS (Zach Galifianakis), the quirky morgue staffer Tru works with on the graveyard shift. In the middle of the first season, we were introduced to a new character named Jack Harper(Jason Priestly), who plays a new morgue attendent, who seems to have a strange effect on Tru's abilities when he's around. Tru discovers that he also has the power to go back in time...only he is her true universal opposite, which means he wants the people to STAY dead...

Seems that saying is true, "there's nothing new under the sun"... just add a few cliches to the touch of originality and let the nonsense begin.... I remember this show, started off ok, pretty good until the whole 'opposite' angle got started and the writing suffered, probably as the ratings suffered at the relatively new Fox network.

I'm guessing that the same is true in Japan? The original ideas come from the indie companies? Then the problem is financial, the ability to obtain financing to ramp up production without sacrificing that originality, look et al... This plot summary seems to imply that main character can teleport/go back in time at will.... he can control the time traveling, which is different than other projects like "The Time Travelor's Wife"... which got a little stupid in that regard. I wonder if he maintains his conscious awareness as he goes back in time as a kid? That would be original in this format, though similar projects have done it in comedies like "Big" etc.

Like every project/idea, it always comes down to execution.

The first episode was interesting. Satoru with his power is a good character who tries to do help everybody even if he will suffer for it.
To have to solve the disappearances in the past ain't going to be easy. As a kid he won't be believed like his mother mentions. He may find the killer but to actually convince the grown-ups is going to be a big task as well.
I am sure to keep watching this one
smile.gif

Yes, just saw the first ep... interesting.. does remind me of that 'Tru Calling' project I mentioned...
It's interesting to see the same stereotype characters in different settings... makes me wonder how accurate they reflect Japanese personas, as they show up so often.... as fictional representations that is.
wink.gif
Nice setup and slow development... slow almost like a tease only without any of the flashy characters that usually show up... yet.

Was this based .... crap! just read the writeup on Wiki
mad.gif
No warning about the outcome... oh well, I wonder where the manga goes after this storyline?

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jan 09 2016, 06:27 AM)To have to solve the disappearances in the past ain't going to be easy. As a kid he won't be believed like his mother mentions. He may find the killer but to actually convince the grown-ups is going to be a big task as well.
QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jan 08 2016, 1:42 PM) originality, look et al... This plot summary seems to imply that main character can teleport/go back in time at will.... he can control the time traveling, which is different than other projects like "The Time Travelor's Wife"... which got a little stupid in that regard. I wonder if he maintains his conscious awareness as he goes back in time as a kid? That would be original in this formatactually only his mind unwillingly is sent back in time, like Wolverine in 'Days of The Future Past' (but Shadowcat's power)... ep.2 was nice how Satoru as a boy with adult mindset, appreciates his "Ma" after her future death for raising him
smile.gif

Yeah, just watched it... nice setup so far.... mind transference... I've heard of that relating to crossing dimensions but it's interesting to watch in this case... reminds me alittle of that male character in 'Noein', who, as an adult, sees a slightly different version of himself as a kid at a 'marker' moment in his life with that girl... only in this case, it's similar to projection... which makes understanding the nature of reality as a dream/illusion easier to do.... reminds me a little of that manga 'Qualia the Purple'.

I like what their doing with this one so far... nicely put together from start to finish of each episode. The male lead is a familiar character type, or is it just this studio? Still interesting, and perhaps the similar character types make story progression easier... less background storytelling needed. I took a look at the writer's wiki page and this story/character types are the norm for him.

Like it so far. The usual mysterious character.... of that girl in the dark park... reminds me of Kanon? there were so many in that one.
cool.gif

smile.gif
Now this is one of the better series. Satoru's connection to his mother (who is really a very good, likable character
smile.gif
) and Kayo is making this series really good. To find his mother's killer and preventing it all seems to focus around that point of preventing the death of Kayo. If they really are connected may not be sure though. Is Kayo's killer really the same guy who tried to kidnap that kid in the present and killer his mother? Or is it just the trigger to some other event? And who is the killer? How do you find that person without Satoru endangering himself?

Well, to avoid a major spoiler, definitely don't read the wiki entry of the last characters listed, as it tells you who did it...
mad.gif
I made that mistake my accident, not that it's mattered yet, as the characterization by the author is really nice... just watched the 2nd ep again, as I couldn't remember whether I watched already or not, and it's good enough that I didn't mind after realizing I did... that's a good sign... not many I can say that about. Nice setup of the whole group... which childhood 'friends' will seem to be important and which won't.... so far anyway.... an adult assessment which fits in with the main character going back to his childhood self with his adult mind... interesting, not that it hasn't been done before... one film that just came to mind is.... I'll have to look it up... haven't seen it in a long time... good, but not so good that you want to watch it again
laugh.gif
Ok, "Peggy Sue Got Married", a romantic comedy, so not a direct comparison, but same situation with the main character back in younger age with older mindset... compared to 'Big' or one of those others that have the opposite situation of a younger kid in their adult self's body... like one of those magical girl setups... with their 'adult' mode.

All that said, this anime is rather well done so far.... not sure how true to the manga it is... which is ongoing, so it seems more seasons could appear with different storylines, as this one is 12 seasons on the wiki entry.... which I gotta stop looking at, as it seems to give too much away when reading about the characters...
ohmy.gif

Wiki says there's a live action version set to air March 19... so the story must be pretty good to get so much attention.... and that it seems a good sale for the current marketplace.

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jan 16 2016, 02:47 PM)To find his mother's killer and preventing it all seems to focus around that point of preventing the death of Kayo. If they really are connected may not be sure though. Is Kayo's killer really the same guy who tried to kidnap that kid in the present and killer his mother? Or is it just the trigger to some other event? And who is the killer?
QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jan 19 2016, 9:20 PM)Wiki says there's a live action version set to air March 19... so the story must be pretty good to get so much attention.... and that it seems a good sale for the current marketplaceYup I already pointed its film in the 1st post and topic description, but would be more fitting if it premieres in March 1 ;P... after ep'3 despite Kayo's mother is a bitch, I doubt she's the killer but by this cliffhanger i suspect Satoru's teacher
ohmy.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Jan 21 2016, 08:37 PM)Yup I already pointed its film in the 1st post and topic description, but would be more fitting if it premieres in March 1 ;P... after ep'3 despite Kayo's mother is a bitch, I doubt she's the killer but by this cliffhanger i suspect Satoru's teacher

Kayo's mother really is one terrible woman
sad.gif
. Her husband is equally terrible to actually let all of that abuse happen to Kayo. Satoru really does care by trying to save her. Also Satoru's friends seem to notice more about Satoru and Kayo..I wonder what they are going to do.
Satoru's teacher is indeed a possible suspect..He may really care for Kayo but somehow his responses and actions seem strange..and that last scene is really strange

Nice episode again.... subtle way he's pushed aside by the girl's mother to show us that he's just a kid and easily ignored, abused etc.... just having a mind of an adult doesn't change much else but the nature of one's thought.... liked that little bit.

I wonder if the father figure is involved in the abuse or is it just the mother? He could be a step father or just a boyfriend from what we know. So far, we've seen little actual abuse.... more indicated in how the mother held her head down in the iced sink water ... I do think that alot of these marks/bruises would be hidden in a realistic uniform.... not gonna see that thigh bruise in a real skirt, only an anime one shows it....
rolleyes.gif

This is a nicely done story development for this marketplace.... nice consolidation of various elements, making the ordinary, rather extraordinary.... such as abuse and how it's mostly hidden in society, ignored, neglected through social reinforcements etc.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jan 22 2016, 06:20 PM)I wonder if the father figure is involved in the abuse or is it just the mother? He could be a step father or just a boyfriend from what we know. So far, we've seen little actual abuse....
QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jan 22 2016, 01:50 PM)Kayo's mother really is one terrible woman
sad.gif
. Her husband is equally terrible to actually let all of that abuse happen to Kayo. Satoru really does care by trying to save her.Ep.4 didn't show if that dork is her real father or another possible suspect, but i reminded again in Rokka no Yuusha... 'pose as trustworthy: careful to hide true intentions', the B-day and encounter of moms were great! I hope Kayo is safe
sad.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Jan 28 2016, 08:00 PM)I hope Kayo is safe

I hope so too. It seems that he is slowly changing the past (from his point of view) but is he really able to prevent something happening to her? It feels like some events need to happen to have him jump back from the future..Just like his memories who appear while watching it happen. The encounter of the moms was very good. Satoru's mom really seems to know what is really happening to Kayo and looks like she would act if something happens again to Kayo or to Satoru. I wonder when we get more information on Yuuki..

Interesting to see if he learns to control this timejumping ability or not.... and when or if he attempts to tell others about it in either the 'present' or 'past'.... why not try jumping to the 'future'? Or is it stress related? Seen that used before in 'Time Travellers Wife'... though in that one, his kid did learn to control it... though still, only jumping into the past.

The writing is good so far. Keeping it 'true to life' helps... the manager calling police... the girl helping him.

Soon, they'll probably start to deal with not only Kayo's death, but the others from that past... hope he kept that book that girl showed him, even though it all changes with every trip back and forth.

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jan 31 2016, 11:54 AM)that he is slowly changing the past (from his point of view) but is he really able to prevent something happening to her? It feels like some events need to happen to have him jump back from the future..Just like his memories who appear while watching it happen.You're right! is sad she was accidentally killed for abuse, at least now that he Is in the present by ep'5 i bet if his stress is high... he may go back again but also as his manager betrayed him, because of Airi i guess the killer is "Nishizono"
sleep.gif

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Feb 05 2016, 07:38 PM) Interesting to see if he learns to control this timejumping ability or not.... and when or if he attempts to tell others about it in either the 'present' or 'past'.... why not try jumping to the 'future'? Or is it stress related? Seen that used before in 'Time Travellers Wife'... though in that one, his kid did learn to control it... though still, only jumping into the past.

The writing is good so far. Keeping it 'true to life' helps... the manager calling police... the girl helping him.

Soon, they'll probably start to deal with not only Kayo's death, but the others from that past... hope he kept that book that girl showed him, even though it all changes with every trip back and forth.
Definitely one of the more enjoyable animes as far as I'm concerned. This was a day-1 hit in my book. Still wondering what direction this will take, and I'm happy to go along for the ride.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Feb 07 2016,01:50 PM)one of the more enjoyable animes as far as I'm concerned. This was a day-1 hit in my book. Still wondering what direction this will take, and I'm happy to go along for the ride.
biggrin.gif
what I find trilling too the killer's modus operandi in ep.6, again framing crimes aware about how satoru will react :/... while arrested he notices red eyes which look like Sawada's , or is it only an effect of the anime by the cliffhanger?
mad.gif

So far, it seems a smart psychopath's work, and we know from Airi that it could be that councilman perhaps as the serial killer, which this episode expanded to another town as well as Satoru's, past and present... nice writing here, as well as in this episode of his using his manga writing to attempt to mask his thoughts to Airi on the murders...

The manga is said to finish in March of this year, yet Wikipedia has the killer listed, as well as listing it as a 12 ep anime, so it's tied together and I have to assume that there aren't plans to move it beyond the current storyline of this particular psychopathic serial killer. I wonder why the killer is listed on Wiki unless it's already mentioned in the manga and it's currently an attempt to capture him... currently we assume to be a councilman or someone working with the police... maybe he's a detective in the police force? That would be good cover, sort of like how pedophiles like to take jobs 'helping' kids...
blink.gif
, sad but true, like all those pedophile priests, politicians, judges and the like.

Remember NOT to read to the bottom of that Wiki character list if you don't want to be told who the killer is.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Feb 12 2016, 09:06 PM)So far, it seems a smart psychopath's work, and we know from Airi that it could be that councilman perhaps as the serial killer, which this episode expanded to another town as well as Satoru's, past and present... nice writing here, as well as in this episode of his using his manga writing to attempt to mask his thoughts to Airi on the murders.Looks like we're right how Satoru can go back or forth by stress, ep.7 again but his 1st doing it willingly!... so red eyes are imaginary now that Kenya stops him from killing Kayo's mother, i wonder if he ends telling the killer their hideout?
sleep.gif

Finally caught up on this. (Both anime and manga)

Really dig this one. Spotted the killer at the start of ep 2, so I think the mystery is a bit weak, but the "Mystery of the journey" is even more interesting than who the killer is. Preventing Crimes in reverse is a really cool premise for a story like this.

Here's hoping it gets a second season, given the rate they're going they'll cliffhanger on the moment of realization of what the series' title means.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back