Compression programs

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu
Retired
Can anyone recommend me a good compression program besides Winzip, 7zip, and Winrar? The three I mentioned don't compress video files very well and I'm trying to fit a 26 episode series onto exactly 1 DVD without losing video quality or having to split it up into two dvds.

I'm not asking for corporate level compression programs (like Adobe who seems to compress the 40GB CS4 into 8 GB), but something that would reduce 5 gb to 4.3 gb would be great. Please start recommending or providing suggestions. Thanks.

QUOTE (Harukalover @ May 10 2009, 08:40 PM) Unless the videos are uncompressed then you're wasting your time because you won't be able to compress them much more outside of reencoding them.
Actually you can, but there are very few out there that does this kind of compression regardless of file size. (Points at Advent Children Complete 1080p Blu-Ray). Sony/Square-Enix compressed that and the extra footage from 12gb to fit on an 8gb dual-layered blu-ray disc. Basically I want to be able to do a compression of only a fraction of this caliber

I think you got your facts wrong, Blu-ray disc capacities are 25gb for a single layer and 50 for a dual layer. Regular DVD's are 4.7gb for single and 8.5 for dual layer, so I cant see them compressing a 12gb file to 8 since that would be useless.

As for your original question, you could try making a ISO file with Power ISO or magic ISO and using DVD shrink to compress it to a single layer dvd with no quality lose at all.

QUOTE (doomsayer @ May 10 2009, 09:00 PM) I think you got your facts wrong, Blu-ray disc capacities are 25gb for a single layer and 50 for a dual layer. Regular DVD's are 4.7gb for single and 8.5 for dual layer, so I cant see them compressing a 12gb file to 8 since that would be useless.

As for your original question, you could try making a ISO file with Power ISO or magic ISO and using DVD shrink to compress it to a single layer dvd with no quality lose at all.
Hate to say it but DVD shrink is not lossless. Oh and it only works with DVD video and not data discs as far as I know. So unless they added a bunch of new features it wouldn't help.

How about something like UHarc? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHarc
The only problem with it is that it seems to work only on dos/windows.

Compressed video is already compressed. Compressing it with some other algorithm which already uses similar if not the same algorithms that the video compressor used will gain you very little results if any.
QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ May 10 2009, 10:52 PM)
Actually you can, but there are very few out there that does this kind of compression regardless of file size. (Points at Advent Children Complete 1080p Blu-Ray). Sony/Square-Enix compressed that and the extra footage from 12gb to fit on an 8gb dual-layered blu-ray disc. Basically I want to be able to do a compression of only a fraction of this caliber
Where is the 12gb from?

QUOTE (langes01x @ May 10 2009, 10:22 PM) Hate to say it but DVD shrink is not lossless. Oh and it only works with DVD video and not data discs as far as I know. So unless they added a bunch of new features it wouldn't help.
Yes its true that dvd shrink isn't lossless, but he's going from 5 to about 4.2 so it would be lossless, so thats why I stated that it would have no quality loss. I have heard that it can do data but I don't know since I don't use it except to back up my dvds.

QUOTE (doomsayer @ May 11 2009, 12:02 AM) Yes its true that dvd shrink isn't lossless, but he's going from 5 to about 4.2 so it would be lossless, so thats why I stated that it would have no quality loss. I have heard that it can do data but I don't know since I don't use it except to back up my dvds.
If you do a deep analize then u get some of the quality back but still im sure it doesnt work with data disc....although I never tested it out....

QUOTE (Harukalover @ May 10 2009, 09:35 PM) Where is the 12gb from?
If you rip the iso and extract the files entirely, they are 12gb for the two video files.

QUOTE (langes01x @ May 10 2009, 09:22 PM)QUOTE (doomsayer @ May 10 2009, 09:00 PM) I think you got your facts wrong, Blu-ray disc capacities are 25gb for a single layer and 50 for a dual layer.  Regular DVD's are 4.7gb for single and 8.5 for dual layer, so I cant see them compressing a 12gb file to 8 since that would be useless.

Hate to say it but DVD shrink is not lossless. Oh and it only works with DVD video and not data discs as far as I know. So unless they added a bunch of new features it wouldn't help.

How about something like UHarc? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHarc
The only problem with it is that it seems to work only on dos/windows.

thanks I will check this out.

QUOTE (doomsayer @ May 10 2009, 10:02 PM)QUOTE (langes01x @ May 10 2009, 10:22 PM) Hate to say it but DVD shrink is not lossless. Oh and it only works with DVD video and not data discs as far as I know. So unless they added a bunch of new features it wouldn't help. 
Yes its true that dvd shrink isn't lossless, but he's going from 5 to about 4.2 so it would be lossless, so thats why I stated that it would have no quality loss.  I have heard that it can do data but I don't know since I don't use it except to back up my dvds.

Basically that's a basic range since it's just irritating to have something that barely exceeds the size of a DVD and not be able to fit it. In fact, something like Persona -trinity soul- or Nagasarete Airantou are great examples on my hard drive at the moment. The are both about 4.45gb, of which I'm trying to shrink to 4.3 gb. That's about the size of one episode, if not less and it's irritating that winrar and 7zip no longer properly compress video files (and yes they use to).

It's just irritating at the moment that I don't have enough space and I'm eating up a lot of DVDs every week now (blames Basquash for 500MB per episode) and until I get my new terrabyte external in August after the anticipated price drop, I don't think my current hard drive will last, especially with the amazing summer line up...and I really don't want to be using up these DVDs so fast... I had 100 new ones in March and I think I ran through almost 15-25 of them now.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ May 10 2009, 10:27 PM) It's just irritating at the moment that I don't have enough space and I'm eating up a lot of DVDs every week now (blames Basquash for 500MB per episode) and until I get my new terrabyte external in August after the anticipated price drop, I don't think my current hard drive will last, especially with the amazing summer line up...and I really don't want to be using up these DVDs so fast... I had 100 new ones in March and I think I ran through almost 15-25 of them now.
I've been there before. Though I had a stack of 100 and went through them all in a couple months...

I also have run into the same problem with shows not quite fitting onto a single disc. After a while I gave up and tried to get a couple series to fit across 2 discs instead. The only other solution would be to buy dual layer DVDs but they cost a lot more for a similar amount of storage.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ May 11 2009, 12:27 AM) If you rip the iso and extract the files entirely, they are 12gb for the two video files.
What's the iso from? A DVD or Bluray?

And if this is from a DVD or in this case 2 DVD's then there's two possibilities why it's smaller on the bluray.

1. They lowered the bitrate and compressed it more even though they have way more space to use on a Bluray (It's Sony so this is a definite possibility)
2. They used a more efficient compressor instead of MPEG-2 which is the only choice on DVD. (Bluray allows VC-1 and H.264, either are much more efficient then MPEG-2)

QUOTE (Harukalover @ May 11 2009, 12:42 PM) What's the iso from? A DVD or Bluray?

A Blu-Ray and I believe it was one disc according to all the sites I've visited for regular edition.

QUOTE 2. They used a more efficient compressor instead of MPEG-2 which is the only choice on DVD. (Bluray allows VC-1 and H.264, either are much more efficient then MPEG-2)
And this is the kind of compressor I would like to have ideally, but anything that works the same way is just fine too.

Even if it was bluray either possibility stands for why it's smaller now.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ May 11 2009, 04:28 PM)And this is the kind of compressor I would like to have ideally, but anything that works the same way is just fine too.
Yes, so my original point stands of reencoding since that's all Sony did. They just encoded the masters with a better video compressor or the same one but with lower bitrate. No file compression tool will gain enough compression on a compressed video that would be significant enough to solve your problem. If this was the case fansubbers would be releasing all there episodes in .rar/.zip/.7z/etc...

QUOTE (Harukalover @ May 11 2009, 02:36 PM) If this was the case fansubbers would be releasing all there episodes in .rar/.zip/.7z/etc...
That would definitely be a step in the wrong direction. Some groups in the tv ripping scene do it because they can split a file into many small pieces (probably for upload to websites that have small file size caps) but most people hate them for it.

Personally though I wouldn't want to try re-encoding myself as I'm not that confident that I could retain most of the quality and reduce the file size significantly. That's why most groups have a dedicated encoder after all.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back