Seikon no Qwaser (Quasar of Stigmata)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

JCDRANZER

- Sky King
Retired

Title: Seikon no Qwaser (Quasar of Stigmata)
Japanese Title: 聖痕のクェイサー
Genre: SUPER-DUPER-ECCHI, BOING, OPPAI MIRUKU, Action, Adventure, Drama, Supernatural
Premier: January 2010
Director: Hiraku Kaneko
Animation Studio: Taki Corporation & Hoods Entertainment
Original Creators: Hiroyuki Yoshino (story) & Kenetsu Satou (art)
Official Website: http://www.qwaser.jp/index.html

Basic Info:

Cast:

Yuko Sanpei as Sasha
Ai Shimizu as Lizzie
Aki Toyosaki as Tomo Yamanobe
Aya Hirano as Katja
Ayahi Takagaki as Ayana Minase
Ayako Kawasumi as Miyuri Tsujidō
Ayumi Fujimura as Mafuyu Oribe
Kana Hanazawa as Fumika Mitarai
Minori Chihara as Teresa Beria
Susumu Chiba as YÅ«ri Noda
Toru Ohkawa as Shin'ichirō Ōtori
Yōko Hikasa as Hana Katsuragi

Manga Covers:

07189304.jpg

07189305.jpg

07189537.jpg

07197337.jpg

07205061.jpg

07213022.jpg

231098.jpg

Plot:

The story takes place on the grounds of St. Mihailov Academy, a Japanese Eastern Orthodox school, and draws heavily on religious references from the aforementioned religion. Here it follows the trials and hardship of two of its students, Oribe Mafuyu and Tomo Yamanobe, until the encounter with a mysterious, silver-haired, Russian boy named Alexander, or Sasha for short. This pits them and the whole school in an all-out war between the Church itself and the so-called "Adepts", a sect of individuals wielding powers linked to the elements of chemistry.

(~from WIKI~)

My Thouhgts:

This series will be massacred by an immense amount of censoring mainly because of breast milk being used as a plot device and in general, just how incredibly ecchi it is.

I have only read about 4 chapters of this manga about 2 years ago and therefore, don't exactly remember what the hell was going on. I think Barbo was into this manga as well, he probably read more than me and I believe that FTV's Scanlations Division did a couple scans for the manga.
rolleyes.gif

IRRC, the abortive FTV Scanlation group took a shot at translating this. Though the art is great, especially the drawings of girls in various stages of undress, the story of this Manga is very disjointed and lacks cohesion from chapter to chapter. Maybe the Anime will actually be able to fix that, but I doubt it. I stopped reading it long ago.

BTW, it's not milk that's being sucked, it's spiritual energy (I forget the silly name they gave it). And it comes out of boobs because... Well so the Mangaka can draw boobs, you know.

Well its still breastfeeding at the end of the day......the spiritual energy could've been mixed with their milk.
tongue.gif

I really only read the 1st 4 chapters or so as well I believe. Back when I first found it and really thought it was cool (the action and giant scythe, not the breast-feeding part) there were very few chapters out. Then the failed scanlation group happened and people, counting myself, just didn't really find the time or have the time to do it. After that I never bothered keeping up with it so I haven't read any chapters that have been translated in the past 2 years or so.

Though I'm still looking forward to this and was quite pleased back when I heard an anime adaption was being made.

I don't remember the chapters very well.....well its more like I have no clue what happened. The first episode should be out soon and took a glance at RC's review on the first episode and the animation looks awesome, it feels like the vibrant colours are ready to jump out of the picture but then again, Omni always posts high quality pics.
wink.gif
I love the oppai here and there....lots of OPPAI!! XD.......nosebleed.....tissue please ??
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Definitely entertaining. Didn't realize that Makoto Uno (Dragonaut, Witchblade) was doing the character designs, so now I know to prepare myself for some fairly large bust sizes, though from the first episode there at least weren't many people with abnormally huge bust.

Though the series has some obvious dips in visual quality. Case in point:

Close up shot of the same character and both screenshots are taken from within 30 seconds of each other in the show.

it doesn't seem like a quality issue seems more or less like an inconstancy in the animation where thicker lines were drawn than normal although it could be intended
anyway
just watched this
i found it entertaining
although the breastfeeding thing was wayyyyyyyy out there in my opinion its something that probably inst easy to pull off so ill give it that

Well, art consistency fits into the category of visual quality too.

Luckily I have already read the first couple chapters of the manga a long time ago so the breast feeding wasn't a surprise to me. I'm just happy they didn't make it this huge thing (at least they haven't yet). I was a bit worried they would focus a huge amount on it in an almost fanservicey way, but thankfully they did not.

Well censored, eh? I hear there will be an uncensored version shown on AT-X later this month. This show just doesn't have enough story to stand up without the Ecchi bits left in. Especially since they are a feature of most of the action/comedy moments in the show. And the method of censoring is pretty bad as well, zooming into what would normally be wider shots. And that probably explains the inconsistency in the images you posted there Barbo. The second one is probably a crop of a screen that shows the other girl sprawled out showing whatever it was that happened to her. I guess they felt shadow, strange beams of light, or steam would not be enough to make the show broadcast safe.

Anyway, not a very good show to begin with and putting the edits back in probably won't raise the level that much. I doubt I'll watch any more of this.

A really great first ep with nice action, good fun, interesting set-up and interesting characters.
I had to laugh a lot, especially when Alexander arrived. That guy is just way too cool for a 13 year old kid and that makes it awesome.
The plot we saw until now wasnt that bad either, at least it sounds prett interesting. The breastfeeding to gain strenght didnt annoy me the way I thought it would because it was related to Maria so it somehow it makes a bit sense for me (but ok Im crazy so that doesnt say anything ^^).

Defenitely going to watch this.
The second really good anime this season up until now together with Omamori Himari.

Aside from Chu-Bra!! this is the worst show I've seen this season, but definitely not in the general sense.

Plot: Interesting and fan service wasn't quite over the top. The whole breast-sucking thing is rather ridiculous though and a major turn off when being used as a plot device. The other issue was terrible transition from one scene to the next. More on that in Art and Animation

Music and Sound: OP was awesome. At first I thought it was done by Minori Chihara since it had the Ga-Rei -Zero- OP (Paradise Lost) feel to it. Animation and rhythm were both very similar. Wasn't too big of a fan of the ending though. As for bgm, nothing spectacular. Mainly boring music. Seiyuu wise, it's essentially 1/2 Haruhi cast + 1/2 K-ON! cast doing the main roles. Aya Hirano, Minori Chihara, Yoko Hikasa, and Aki Toyosaki. In addition, we also got a number of other noteworthy seiyuu like Ayako Kawasumi and Kana Hanazawa. So the cast is at least decent.

Art and Animation: Can I say fail-tastic? Inconsistent animation and transitions. Things happened one after another when they don't make much logical sense. As pointed out by Barbobot, there was some serious dips in the animation quality throughout the episode. Tomo's character design also physically does not make sense given her figure. Inn addition, I'm not sure if it was the raw cap/encoding issues, but from what it looks like there were also pauses at certain points of the show, most notable during the 5-10 seconds when Teresa comes to save Aleksander and Mafuyu.

Enjoyment: I liked the overall backstory of the show, but TAKI Corporation and Hoods Entertainment REALLY need to fix their animation issues soon and fast. Considering this show is planned for 24 episodes, it will be a pain to sit through multiple quality production issues and it would harm the reputation of a startup company as well. If this were to continue, regardless of how good the plot gets, the animation will be an incredibly large hindrance when giving the final rating of the series.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 11 2010, 02:00 AM) Though the series has some obvious dips in visual quality. Case in point:

Close up shot of the same character and both screenshots are taken from within 30 seconds of each other in the show.
So there is a craptacular low-res stream-rip of the uncensored version and as I suspected it was in fact a case of zoom and crop. Here is the original frame:

With the censorship removed, it's like a completely different show. Not a good one, mind you, but different. And because of that, it's pretty much a farce that they are even attempting to broadcast a censored version in the first place. So if you really want to watch the series, I suggest you hold out for a high-res uncensored version to come out, however long that may take.

Not going to bother with this until uncensored gets released. I mean even the comedy aspects were destroyed due to awful cuts.

Never could understand releasing something if the full quality of it cannot be seen until the DVDs.

I finished to watch the second episode and I'll drop Seikon no Qwaser. The censor is very horrible. The battle with Alexander and Ayana was totally censored and I could barely see and understand the battle =/ Reading the manga will be much better in all points of view.

Damn it how I hate the censorship in this one. This could be a great anime but the censorship destroys a lot. I wonder why they even bother airing this -.-
But I dont want to wait for the uncensored version either, so I will still stick with it and watch the uncensored later.

as for me, i tryed watching ep 1 and 2, and its screwed up with the censorship.

i think i prefer to wait for the uncensored ver. ... i get the feeling it will be a lot more enjoyable if i actualy dont know what will happen, and watch the uncensored ver. without the feeling of "watching it again with new scenes" feeling.

there is enough anime out there to keep me entertained untill the uncensored ver. come out so...i will pretend it just be like it was released later than expected.

Just watched ep 3 and at least there wasnt that much censored this time so it was bearable.

This anime is pretty good, the story is interesting, the characters too and Sasha is just awesome ^^ Even though he should stop beeing so obsessed with big tits, Mafuyu is clearly the better one out of the two sisters.

Seems like it will get funny now that Kate is there. I wonder what she will do with Hana and what role she has. Up until now she looks like an enemy but the ED clearly shows her as an ally. She will probably switch sides of something.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back