Kokoro Connect

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council
37191l.jpg
PVck3.jpg

Title: Kokoro Connect (ココロコネクト)
Date Aired: July 8, 2012 (TV series pre-aired episode June 24)
Genres: Romantic comedy, Supernatural
Director: Shinya Kawamo
Screenplay: Fumihiko Shimo
Character Design: Toshifumi Akai
Sound: Toshiki Kameyama
Opening Theme: "Paradigm" (パラダイム) by Eufonius
Ending Theme: "Kokoro no Kara" (ココロノカラ) by Team Nekokan
Studio: Silver Link
Network: Tokyo MX, Tvk, Chiba TV, Teletama, MBS, AT-X, BS11
Main Cast: Taichi Yaegashi (八重樫 太一) Voiced by: Takahiro Mizushima
Iori Nagase (永瀬 伊織) voiced by: Aki Toyosaki
Himeko Inaba (稲葉 姫子) voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro
Yoshifumi Aoki (青木 義文) voiced by: Takuma Terashima
Yui Kiriyama (桐山 唯) voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
Supporting Cast: Chihiro Uwa (宇和 千尋) voiced by: Toshiyuki Toyonaga
Shino Enjōji (円城寺 紫乃) voiced by: Nao Tōyama
Maiko Fujishima (藤島 麻衣子) voiced by: Shizuka Itō
Ryūzen Gotō (後藤 龍善) voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara
Rina Yaegashi (八重樫 莉奈) voiced by: Asuka Ōgame
TV series PVs: #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcqFygFg08 & #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmunTxdQ4Y

Synopsis: based from the light novel series written by Sadanatsu Anda with illustrations by Yukiko Horiguchi (pen name Shiromizakana), the "love and teen pentagonal comedy" follows the strange phenomena at the Yamahoshi Academy's Culture Club, the story revolves around five club members —two boys and three girls— switching bodies with each other.

Necropinion: just watched the 12-minutes preview (in other words the first half from episode 1 to be aired two weeks later) and it cought my attention more than Kingdom, the first summer anime series from this year which I probably decide to resume if it turns out any good based from reviews when it ends... so far KoCon looks alright but it may turn interesting afterwards depending of the plot and character development situations while they investigate what cause their soul to switch, also there was almost non-existent BG music but that's only telling by its pre-ep so with low expectation I'll give it a try as preliminar 6/10

Here are some characters and they are body swapping... That's the kind of premise To-Love-Ru runs through in a single manga chapter, but in that case, you know the who, what, whys and hows when it happens. Without any of that, the whole situation very much looses impact. As they fill that kind of thing in as the series goes along it could become better, but I can't imagine it will ever morph into a great show.

The show also takes a hit in the originality department in that half the characters in the show look like Azusa from K-On!

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Jul 08 2012, 04:07 PM) Without any of that, the whole situation very much looses impact. I can't imagine it will ever morph into a great show.

^ One of the main reasons I dropped this one after watching like 15 mins. into it...boring and silly, imo. This genre has been played before albeit not exactly like it has with this new series...if I was asked to cough up an example, well, let's just say they were all forgettable shows.
wink.gif

Ah well...like I told a MAL buddy:
"I checked Kokoro Connect out...DROPPED as we did not connect."
rolleyes.gif
Cheesy, yeah, but well, I had to get something out of it.
tongue.gif

So we learn that there is someone/something behind the body swaps. But he/it/they are doing it so that they can observe what happens. The kids were chosen because they seem interesting, and it will end when they have had enough fun doing it? Well, that's a pretty damn weak premise right there. However, it did become more fun in this episode at the end when Himeko decided to start actually screwing with Taichi's life. If that kind of becomes part of the focus of the show, then that could be really amusing.

I dont know whats wrong with you. Its seldom that a show is that funny and youre dropping it? Dont you like comedy? Or are you already too infused with the horrible standard japanese comedy?

The end of ep 2 was really good, first with Taichi accidently volunteering Inaba and then challenging the class rep.
But the best scene was when Inaba asked who went to the wrong restroom and everyone raised their hand XD

@Accipiter: Youve got it a bit wrong. It doesnt stop when they had enough fun it stops when Heartseed had enough fun watching them.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Jul 14 2012, 04:34 PM)it did become more fun in this episode at the end when Himeko decided to start actually screwing with Taichi's life. If that kind of becomes part of the focus of the show, then that could be really amusing.that was a good cliffhanger for the third episode which turned better with Himeko encouraging Taichi to go out with Iori and support her before Fujishima does, also was funny how he helps Yui with her androphobia by kicking his crotch to show her how painful is that and defend herself from men (isn't karate enough?) xD ...well just like you I had doubts about the body-swapping premise after watching the preview of ep.1 a month ago reflected in my initial score and expectation, now both are higher after its completion along with the other 2 episodes ^^ I'm enjoying the character development and the plot is turning more interesting
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Jul 22 2012, 05:59 AM)QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Jul 14 2012, 04:34 PM)it did become more fun in this episode at the end when Himeko decided to start actually screwing with Taichi's life. If that kind of becomes part of the focus of the show, then that could be really amusing.that was a good cliffhanger for the third episode which turned better with Himeko encouraging Taichi to go out with Iori and support her before Fujishima does, also was funny how he helps Yui with her androphobia by kicking his crotch to show her how painful is that and defend herself from men (isn't karate enough?) xD ...well just like you I had doubts about the body-swapping premise after watching the preview of ep.1 a month ago reflected in my initial score and expectation, now both are higher after its completion along with the other 2 episodes ^^ I'm enjoying the character development and the plot is turning more interesting

I agree with this. It is starting to get more interesting every time. Taichi likes Iori, Aoki likes Yui and Himeko tries to keep it all together or better said tries to get some relationships going. This episode did probably give away some hints about what may happen. Yui was helped by Taichi but does this mean that she now is able to talk to Taichi which in turn may get Aoki jealous? Yui knows Aoki likes her but her fear may still linger when he is around? Iori as said is getting more instable which can hurt Taichi. And what is the deal with Himeko? She acts strong but it feels strange...

It was obvious that something is wrong with Inaba, especially when she told Taichi that Iori is the one most hurt from the present situation. She looked like she wanted to say "except for me".

You really need to have guts to kick yourself in the guts, its like blasphemy or something. But Taichi got the punishment he deserved for doing that.

Just like Inaba said at the end this situation is not only bad since it can help them understand each other better. When they are not playing around like Taichi and Aoki did in Inabas and Yuis body, which nontheless was really funny ^^

My guess is that Ioris mother has a new guy and maybe even thinks of moving away or something. That will spice up things a lot more.

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jul 22 2012, 04:57 AM)I agree with this. It is starting to get more interesting every time. Taichi likes Iori, Aoki likes Yui and Himeko tries to keep it all together or better said tries to get some relationships going. This episode did probably give away some hints about what may happen.
QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Jul 22 2012, 12:38 PM)My guess is that Ioris mother has a new guy and maybe even thinks of moving away or something. That will spice up things a lot more.that's the highlight of this first half as hinted in the previous episode because her mom married and divorced 3 out of her 5 husbands causing Iori's trauma, her different personas were according to the tastes for each dad she had and now she's leading with some kind of identity crisis (also we'll see Heartseed again)... I'm liking how the plot is getting more serious and deeper talking about their respective problems or traumas but it still has their relaxing moments, like Iori's "joke" to break the ice and the secret that Taichi confessed to Himeko when fantasizing about her or the other two girls (the other way around too)
laugh.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Jul 28 2012, 10:59 PM) the secret that Taichi confessed to Himeko when fantasizing about her or the other two girls (the other way around too)
laugh.gif

That had me rolling
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Taichi has become a good
lead in this series

It would be really surprising if none of them had thoughts like "I hope they wont do something bad with my body" because everyone shouldve those feeling out of pure self-preservation.
There nothing wrong with Inaba thinking everyones her enemy since its exactly like that and I think so too. You get hurt less that way. When it all comes down its you using people and people using you and thats the only thing you can trust. Even if they are friends you should always stay cautious because they can hurt you the most.

IIRC this was the first time I actually heard someone seriously talking about masturbation in animes. Wouldnt be surprised if there is a riot now in Japan ^^

I waited until there were 4 episodes of this to pick it up. thoroughly enjoying it so far.

The characterization in this one is really good, Taichi makes for an amazing main character, and Himeko is one of the more relate-able "cool girls" I think I've seen.

This series seems to be heading for love triangle territory tho', assuming Taichi doesn't epic flub it with Iori. (As well as it's worked for Yui and Himeko, the healing crotch is probably not going to be applicable.)

QUOTE (Norren @ Jul 30 2012, 06:38 PM)I waited until there were 4 episodes of this to pick it up. thoroughly enjoying it so far.

The characterization in this one is really good, Taichi makes for an amazing main character, and Himeko is one of the more relate-able "cool girls" I think I've seen.

This series seems to be heading for love triangle territory tho', assuming Taichi doesn't epic flub it with Iori. (As well as it's worked for Yui and Himeko, the healing crotch is probably not going to be applicable.)
dunno why I suspect Fujishima has something to do with Heartseed who is a really unpredictable yet mysterious antagonist so I'm starting to wonder about its plan, is that mainly for his/ her own amusement while playing god or does it has a purpose that consists in making that circle of friends go through many "tests"? ...maybe he/ she is imposing hardships to see how they manage their predicaments or feelings now that Aoki confessed to Yui again and Taichi to Iori for first time, this episode 5 cought me off-guard and felt like it really was the last one but I was relieved after knowing this series will keep going with the preview title
biggrin.gif

Episode 5 was indeed a bit shocking but at the same time a double-edged sword. The whole idea of Iori dying was definitely pulling my leg a little bit but after a while, I realized that this show had two possibilities: 1) become amazing by making Iori a completely tragic heroine or 2) keep the happy family together...unfortunately, the show decided to do the latter, which isn't bad but it was a really poorly done "troll" if you must and obvious to some extent. However, it definitely did change my opinion slightly of the show. Nevertheless, the show needs to do something more drastic to completion if it really wants to win me over though

@NecroRyu: Not sure how you thought the show was going to end considering we're not even half a cour in yet.

That really felt like a last ep but Im sure that that wasnt the last we heard from Heartseed. I wonder if he is a really cruel son of a b**** or if he only has a twisted way of helping.

I hope Inori and Taichi will beginn dating now or else that whole stuff wouldve been wasted time.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Aug 05 2012, 12:47 PM)@NecroRyu: Not sure how you thought the show was going to end considering we're not even half a cour in yet.what I mean is that seems as the end of an arc or season if it wasn't for the preview, from the recently updated sites I checked apparently it will be 12 episodes long... there are a few TV series shorter than the usual 11-13 eps. per season like Ozma with 6, Black Rock Shooter TV only 8 or Kore wa Zombie desu ka? which S2 had 10 ¬¬

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Aug 06 2012, 09:43 AM)That really felt like a last ep but Im sure that that wasnt the last we heard from Heartseed. I wonder if he is a really cruel son of a b**** or if he only has a twisted way of helping.yup that bastard is back with its antics after leaving them alone for three weeks, this time it unleashes their supressed desires and urges messing with their lives (again)... is good to know the plot isnt mainly about body swapping as I believed in the start, looks like it'll have more variety with different personality issues depending of the arc
blink.gif

Episode 6 made my day.

I wasn't sure how they were going to top the last cliffhanger swap-mechanic wise... but looks like they just don't need to. Looks like each mechanic is going to feature a "boil over" point of sorts.

I sort of hope this leads to the boil over of Inaba's hidden crush on Taichi... They keep hanging lampshades on it, but so far the cast seems clueless.

Again something truly complicated Heartseed has done because desires can screw with your life a lot. Everyone who went in rage at one point knows that.
Just thinking about what would happen if those were unleashed makes me shiver since about everyone around me would already be dead because humans are so annoying and unworthy.

Iori really seems to like the idea about the unleahed desires, but I wonder what she meant at the end with her not screwing up again.
Im quite a bit disappointed that nothing went further between Taichi and Iori, but its what you can expect from japanese anime.

QUOTE (Norren @ Aug 11 2012, 09:38 PM)I wasn't sure how they were going to top the last cliffhanger swap-mechanic wise... but looks like they just don't need to.  Looks like each mechanic is going to feature a "boil over" point of sorts.
QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Aug 12 2012, 02:45 PM)Again something truly complicated Heartseed has done because desires can screw with your life a lot.yep from them Yui is the one who has more trouble dealing with desire unleashes just like Iori was in the body swap arc messing big time with her personality, I'm afraid they may end their friendship or even try to suicide if they keep arguing and don't stop the urges of each other while their situation gets worse... well no matter how awkward gets between them and others around their lives is still good to see in the series a few relaxing moments on those serious matters, like how Himeko instantly convinced Yui to open the door of her bedroom and Aoki formally calling "Mom" as if he already was engaged with her daughter
laugh.gif

Ep 7 really did a good job in showing why this situation is far more dangerous than the body swapping part because with just a few words its possible to destroy a lot like friendship, love or whatever. Taichis and Inabas outbreak were the best examples. And you cant just say its Heartseeds fault because, just like Yui said, its their real feelings.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back