Accel World

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

ImTakes

sama
Retired
35153.jpg

Title: Accel World
Type: TV
Episodes: 24
Airing: March 26, 2012
Producers: Sunrise

Characters & Voice Actors:
Kuroyukihime : Misawa, Sachika
Arita, Haruyuki : Kaji, Yuki
Kurashima, Chiyuri : Toyosaki, Aki
Mayuzumi, Takumu : Asanuma, Shintaro

Staff:
Obara, Masakazu
Director
Tsuruoka, Yota
Sound Director
Asakura, Daisuke
Theme Song Arrangement, Theme Song Composition
May'n
Theme Song Performance

Synopsis:
One autumn day in 2046, Haruyuki has an encounter with Kuroyukihime, the prettiest girl in his school. For the middle school boy who is often bullied, the meeting changes his life. Through a mysterious piece of software from her, Haruyuki learns of the existence of the virtual Accel World. In that moment, the lowest of the "school caste" becomes "Burst Linker", a knight defending a princess.
(Source: ANN, MAL)
PV can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIyLMqJ_Qr8...player_embedded

My thoughts:
He is a middle school student and is overweight. He has been bullied for many years and because of that likes to go to places where no one is, like the squash game on the local network at school.
I cannot remember for as long as I have been watching anime, a "chubby" male lead before. After watching the pvs, I like him and will be rooting for him.
wink.gif
I hope that with 24 episodes to be animated from the manga, it proves a good story for our "chubby hero."
wink.gif
Of course, for those who plan to watch this one as well...looking forward to it.

Though it seems to be getting some ideas for virtual world from Dan Simmons (whom i love), not to mention significant borrowing from dot Hack (which i dislike), between a corny premise and obvious NEET-pandering, this looks like it's likely to end in the gutter. Will watch at least on ep though, just cause the CG looked intriguing.

I remember watching the trailer a while back. I was definitely intrigued but only superficially because the main guy is fat. However, you can pretty much see the plot trajectory from the premise. Boy meets girl, boy becomes hero, boy takes lessons from online world into the real world. I would be really surprised if it was anything else.

This means the only way this series can leave any kind of impression on me is through fast paced well executed story progression and impressive action set pieces. The latter will be hard to achieve since while .hack//G.U. Trilogy movie did nothing for the uninitiated, in my mind it had some of the best use of cell shaded cgi in anime and some truly iconic fight scenes.

Anyway, I will give it a try. It is not like I am inundated with anime to watch.

Even thought Ive never watched an anime about onlinegames (except for the ep in Boku wa...) franzoir pretty much said what I, too, think what this will be about.

But are you sure its getting animated based of the manga which only has 9 chapters out rather than the light novel which has more than 10 volumes out?

This series sounds predictable as franzoir mentions. Still the idea may work out okay if properly supported. To actually have a chubby main lead is indeed strange as most of the time the chubby one doesn't get rewarded (somehow when reading the synopsis Amagami came to mind...Rihoko got trashed in her own arc as she was chubby. Or was it because she was the childhood friend..?)

QUOTE (franzoir @ Mar 05 2012, 06:46 AM) The latter will be hard to achieve since while .hack//G.U. Trilogy movie did nothing for the uninitiated, in my mind it had some of the best use of cell shaded cgi in anime and some truly iconic fight scenes.
The story aside - it seems to require dredging through god knows how many mildly boring .hack series to understand - that movie had some of the ugliest cel-shading I've ever seen in media. That may have to do with the attempt to cel-shade already existing and somewhat simplistic character designs.

QUOTE To actually have a chubby main lead is indeed strange as most of the time the chubby one doesn't get rewarded

Looks like obvious otaku bait, and makes me wonder if/why this hasn't been done before.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Mar 05 2012, 01:18 PM) Looks like obvious otaku bait, and makes me wonder if/why this hasn't been done before.
Obvious otaku bait? Please...how trite.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
Being as this is maybe, the first time for a chubby male lead who just might pull it off despite all of the already naysayers who have like me, yet to see what will come of it...let's cut our kawaii chubby boy and the series some slack, eh?
Why it was not done before? Who knows? Does it matter? Maybe now, tis the time of all times, ripe, for a chubby hero lead who is destined to grace the halls of anime history and step beyond the run-of-the-mill cute, bishie looking slim-jims.
I'm in if anything to watch anime history in the making despite the snickering crowd. In the meantime...I will defender mi gordito.
wink.gif

@Ossi-san....according to the anime news sources, the novels are still ongoing as is the manga, not sure how that will affect the series though.
wink.gif

I was reading this article(Accel World Article) and I was wondering if this anime was being released soon and lucky enough for me the 1st episode aired 2 days ago. Then I thought I should check if this thread had already been created and if not I was thinking of making one for it.

Lucky for me, it was already made, and now I could get to my main point, the male lead is "CHUBBY", one of the sole reasons why I want to watch it. It just has to be hilarious and this being a rom-com in its core, means the Chubby guy will have a harem by the end of the series.
laugh.gif

This CHUBBY dude, if he's cynical in anyway, I will shout out "Dan" whilst watching this series.
tongue.gif

Edit #1: Ah looks like there was preview-airing for the 1st episode on the 26th March and the official airing is on the 6th April, much like how Macross Frontier preview-airing worked out.

Also, Kotoko is doing the ending for this anime, it sounds good from the samples that have been released so far.
biggrin.gif

Well, well...looks like we get two episodes released at the same time and not just the one. Not sure as to the preair editions since said to be a webcast release...just read for yourselves here:
http://hadena-subs.com/accel-world/hadena-...ld-0102-preair/
Our heroine sure looks like a flower of sorts, eh? A mystical butterfly too.
wink.gif
I am off to download the first two and to check them out for myself. Looking forward to it.

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Apr 02 2012, 01:25 PM) Well, well...looks like we get two episodes released at the same time and not just the one. Not sure as to the preair editions since said to be a webcast release...just read for yourselves here:
http://hadena-subs.com/accel-world/hadena-...ld-0102-preair/
Our heroine sure looks like a flower of sorts, eh? A mystical butterfly too.
wink.gif
I am off to download the first two and to check them out for myself. Looking forward to it.
You know I saw a couple of pre-airs for the new shows and one of them was of such an atrocious quality (probably 360p but I'm thinking less) it was not watchable. Man advances in technology and resolutions has made me so jaded that I'm kind of ashamed
rolleyes.gif
I'll be looking forward to your thoughts of the first two episodes though Yaya
wink.gif
Although I'll just wait for the higher quality releases when they come out.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Apr 02 2012, 01:08 PM) You know I saw a couple of pre-airs for the new shows and one of them was of such an atrocious quality (probably 360p but I'm thinking less) it was not watchable. Man advances in technology and resolutions has made me so jaded that I'm kind of ashamed
rolleyes.gif
I'll be looking forward to your thoughts of the first two episodes though Yaya
wink.gif
Although I'll just wait for the higher quality releases when they come out.
Yeah, I thought about waiting, Ossan, but I decided what the hell...I will cheat on the first two and just go with it. The fansub group claims encoded to 720 but when I get a looksee, well, all remains a looksee.
tongue.gif
Will be back later to toss my two cents into the Accel arena.
wink.gif

It's HADENA, I'd rather eat my cellphone (don't have one atm though:p) than watch their releases. Although I am kind of tempted to watch with subs off so I can drop this early and move on
tongue.gif
(Yeah, you guessed it, low expectations for this one...)

Watch the first episode. Too much exposition/expository for my taste especially if I couldnt care less for how they could accelerate (blood is already in the water). Probably the worst way to start a new sci-fi action series, for me anyway.

I simply just attributed the neuro linker to the new google hud glasses but with a neuro interface and did not want to know anything more than that.

One thing I found funny is, if your a loser in real life the whole point of an avatar is to become more than what you are and so he chose a pig. Not exactly "crushing reality" as he puts it. I will mark it down to having the lowest self-esteem a person could possibly have.

The problem I have now is I cant genuinely/objectively answer whether this episode was good or not given my current state of apathy.

Saying all that Im going to stick around for a couple of eps. The great thing about this season is Sword Art Online is in the same vein as this meaning I have a choice between the two and I really cant see myself watching both.

So two episodes to start with. The first episode with his bully getting suspended was pretty good. I expected him to use the acceleration to get even but just getting hit was a good alternative. The main problem with the episode was that the relationships seem too apparent. Our chubby main character is a plus until now but does need more depth. Little miss Snow Black is too plain...
In the second episode I did like the fight. And the remark that she has an avatar she doesn't want anyone to see looks interesting enough. However again this seems to be predictable...It weren't bad first episodes but the excitement does need to increase.

Okay after seeing the first episode I kind have to say it's a very interesting concept here, and since I kind got a bit impatient I watched the bundled episode of 1&2 just to see kind of a full hour set of this series.

I have to say that it seems like Snow Black kind of fell for him from the getgo since it looks like she enjoys teasing him and whatnot. Not only that, but she even bragged about how he managed to turn her down as well which threw him into a panic.

I have to say I was kind of wondering about this series and I hope to see this thing turn out to be more then just the fighting portion here. For some reason I daresay want to go out on a limb and say this might be something close to being something like Air Gear here, but that's just my thoughts so far.
sleep.gif

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 03 2012, 01:44 AM) It's HADENA, I'd rather eat my cellphone
Then eat your cellphone since Hadena has done a fine job in subbing and I have watched them slowly improve with each new season. Low expectations? Speak for yourself and for those who follow your reviews. (I don't)
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Was finally able to get around to watching this one as a two-parter and while some of the stuff was a bit over my humble but noble anime head, I had fun. I like the characters, the atmosphere, the technology used to go from one world to the other. I especially liked the Cyber world, where mi Gordito runs around as a Puerquito. An avatar that reflects his low self esteem? Who cares?
rolleyes.gif
ohmy.gif
Despite what the naysayers and self important critics may say, at least he's honest. Let's see..."I'm uncool, chubby and a coward."
In my book, no one who suffers from low self esteem or whatever psycho babble you call it ever seems to take that first step into being honest at such a level...for you see, it is said, they suffer from low self esteem and can never quite arrive at such a realization..."it hurts too much." But I digress...
rolleyes.gif
(Alert! Speaking of anime fantasy and not reality, so do not confuse the two)
I knew right there that despite his squirming, he has lots to build upon with a beautiful, black snow maiden to help him along. He won after all, right?
What else? Two girls and not one? Plus, the advantage of some solid friends in the real world...let's hope that when he falls flat on his neurotic but sweet chubby face, he remembers that and does not linger in the cyber fantasy world too long.

Burst out!
tongue.gif

Just watched the first ep (I dont watch preairs) and must say that the only good thing about this show is Princess Snow Black (great name). But of course I like her since I like selfconfident, manipulative and sexy women in general ^^

The maincharacter, well I knew he would be a pain to watch but it was almost unbearable. So what if youre chubby? Use it and roll over those bullies, damn it.
But at least he is addressing a great threat to our world in reality. Even nowadays a lot of people are already escaping the real world. I dont even want to think of how it will be with Virtual Reality.

The Brain Burst part didnt really strike me much, it feels unneeded and too much. You already have VR, so why squeeze that into the series too?
The robot-fighting world didnt really interest me either since thats not my taste.

Overall for now Im disappointed, but only a little since I never had high expectations for this one even though it has the same author as the masterpiece Sword Art Online.

Finally watched the pre-aired version of the first 2 episodes and I'm a little disappointed. Like Ossi I think that the Brain Burst think isn't really that necessary. I mean the virtual reality mmorpg-like stuff was sufficient enough to build a story around it.

I'm afraid that with Brain Burst introduction, this anime will be "just" a fighting anime with some gamble (like C~Control Money~ or whatever the name was) than an anime with a character escaping reality. Too bad because without it, it could have been one of the greatest, if not the greatest, anime of this season...

I'm sort of disappointed in general. The infodumps are just Kawahara-sensei's style, you'll get used to it after a little time reading SAO. After watching the first two eps, I went to glance at the half of Accel World book 1 that was translated, they cut over half of the infodumps. O_O;

Brain Burst seems interesting in that I don't think we've seen half of what it has under the hood, but it's largely just a pretense to fight. Given that this takes place some 20 years after sword art online, in the same timeline, well, it makes me wish we'd gotten two seasons of SAO instead.

Haru makes for an awesome protagonist, and his two friends seem quite realistic, but Kuroyukihime bothers me. I totally get her attraction to the VR gaming nut thing, especially given who I think she is, but she's such an overloaded character. (Invincible mentor and damsel in distress make for such an odd combo.)

QUOTE (Norren @ Apr 19 2012, 11:05 AM) Haru makes for an awesome protagonist, and his two friends seem quite realistic, but Kuroyukihime bothers me.  I totally get her attraction to the VR gaming nut thing, especially given who I think she is, but she's such an overloaded character.  (Invincible mentor and damsel in distress make for such an odd combo.)
He does make for an interesting protagonist when he's not being drilled on the boring game and that hard to follow and I don't care brain burst stuff.
rolleyes.gif
I was tempted to drop it when the Snow Black-hime was babbling on about all the Kings and levels and what-nots but when we got to the last 10 mins. I decided I will stick with it and just fast forward the boring game stuff unless it proves interesting.
tongue.gif

With episode three just watched, the last 10 mins. were great as Haru and his buddy (yeah right) Chiyuri-chan, engaged in their own little "direct link" of sorts. To say it was an interesting posture they took and awkward...well, hell, that is an understatement.
wink.gif
Now then, as to just what he discovers/discovered while in that most "innocent" embrace shall prove most interesting.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back