Why i think everyone should NOT use MAL.

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Anybody

-sama
Sempai
A Day ago a newsitem about One Manga closing down appeared.

12 hours ago I posted a comprehensive and long argument on why its a good thing and how such websites should have never existed

This morning A hour ago I woke up to this:
lololololk.png

Well Okay I guess, it might be some sort of bug since that has happened before countless of times(for example: Mall banning everything from 0.0.0.0.1 to 255 range), so I hop onto irc to find out the problem.

First pretty much all competent people were afk, but I did manage to find out that its not some sort of bug(since I was only one there having it).

So I went straight to my email, figuring out that there MUST be some sort of email noticing you on being banned and explaining the reasons.(Like it happens in, well, professional websites). To my shock, there was nothing of that sort

When (after 50mins since I pmed the problem like I'm supposed to) I finally got an answer with a confirmation that its an actual ban.

The person, to my utter shock, had no idea on how long that ban is going to take, if its permanent, for what reasons its there or even who placed it.

Going by what I did through last ~48 hours:
- Posting in a discussion about SHIKI ep3.
- Discussing stuff in club.
- Posting a tl;dr post about why OneManga is bad.

Apparently having your own opinion or saying something bad about "online manga" phishing websites is a big no no there AND MAL administrators like to do whatever they want without pre-warning/noticing their targets. Censorship much?

This is not a first time especially, since I saw seemingly normal posts, threads, users disappear with no explanation whatsoever.

Its a sad sad thing really, since MAL, so far has been the only(Ever since anidb messed up the genre tags into some sort drug-induced "describe how it felt" field) good way to track what you have been watching, will be watching and are watching/reading.

Anyone had similar encounters with this website maybe? Any other decent database for cataloging anime/manga?

Moderator Note: Topic title changed, reason old title lacked in manners. Make sure next time that its your opinion that you want too reach people instead of using a title that looks like forcing it onto the people.

Sorry to here that Mr Body, well i dont use it anymore since there refusal for put Hiatus for an option for manga was getting ridiculous add into the fact it was a pain to update every time i read a chapter.

But that is just down right harsh and insnane, i mean to not even give you a warning or an explanation is just utter bull. Guess free thinking while publicly encouraged should never actualy happen.

But then again maybe the person who banned you is one of those admin hacks who doesnt own anything liscenced and just pirates everything and doesnt like your attack on his lifestyle.

I feel for you dude.

its a site for keeping track of your anime and manga right
if your looking for a decent site to use since your now seemingly banned from MAL i would suggest the site ive actually gone to first from a friends suggestion
http://www.anime-planet.com/
you can write reviews and recommendations but i just use it to keep track
you have alot of options about the status of a manga or anime
i dont know if their database has as many series as other sites but from what i can tell most things are there
i have quite an extensive want to watch/read list too
smile.gif

so yeah
might not be the best but you should check it out

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Jul 25 2010, 02:25 AM) But then again maybe the person who banned you is one of those admin hacks who doesnt own anything liscenced and just pirates everything and doesnt like your attack on his lifestyle.

Correct me if I am wrong, but thats no reason to ban somebody.

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Jul 25 2010, 02:25 AM) since there refusal for put Hiatus for an option for manga was getting ridiculous

But that is just down right harsh and insnane, i mean to not even give you a warning or an explanation is just utter bull. Guess free thinking while publicly encouraged should never actualy happen.

But then again maybe the person who banned you is one of those admin hacks who doesnt own anything liscenced and just pirates everything and doesnt like your attack on his lifestyle.

Agreed with that. Its seriously confusing to see manga like Clover or X marked as "completed" and qutie a few times I was tricked in reading manga which is on hiatus for ayear+ already by expecting it to be finished.

The lack of notification email on various things does not surprise me for the least as thats the way MAL has been for a year or morealready. In comparison its as if some admin on fansub tv would come, delete some random popular thread and go away from computer to fish.

One poster posted a huge spoiler in a thread? Entire Thread is deleted.
two people started offtopic talk? Entire 21313 page thread is deleted.
Someone started a five paragraph topic on just-aired episode/chapter of anime/manga? Thead is deleted because someone wanted to start it first and created a thread about same episode with five word post 3secs after you.

As for person who actually did the ban. Well, managed to contact the person.

My questions given were: Is she/he one who banned me? Is the ban temporary or permanent? If its temporary for how long? For what reason I was banned?

The answer given was : "Yeah"

Silence for 30+ minutes followed.

EDIT: Got answer
"Got sick of your posts and having to delete them, so I banned them. If people like you can't take a hint they should quit internet"

Oh and apparently because the "message system inside mal"(nothing to do with emails) is broken, they don't need to send out warnings through email.

EDIT:

Just registered in anime-planet. seems decent. But ffs now ill have to re ented 600+ anime list one by one and same for manga
sleep.gif
And half of stuff is not in the db of animeplanet (like Denpateki na Kanojo)

It's sad to say, every website has their own rules; both written and unwritten. It's nice if they lay out their guidelines and how they regulate their visitors in written form; especially if they have a forum, blog, private space for members, chat, etc. However, problems within management and administration always pop up especially when dealing with a site that ends up delegating authority to "net trusted" people.

I have to say while the treatment of you is down right wrong and should never have happened, it's a story told time and time again in online communities where policies (written or otherwise) and if views of interaction don't gel with the powers that be, they throw down rid themselves of what they feel is an eyesore since they know you have no power to stop it.

Don't take me wrong, I completely agree the actions taken are very unprofessional considering the traffic and visitor base they have. Added to that, over time I've seen more and more "popular" sites going to hell because the administration begins believing they can act like a 10 year old and no one will care because they're so "popular." It's very sad to see when you know those same people are usually in their 20s or maybe 30s yet have the mentality of a 4 year old teasing the one slow kid who just wants to play and have fun.

In the end, it's nice to have the heads up and warning about places like that. And, it's an added comfort knowing you can come here to relay the message and the Fansub team can use it to both promote how well they treat their members and as a lesson in what not to do to earn a bad rep.

I use notepad for my "to watch" and "watched" lists. Basically I transfer the "to watch" to the other file after I'm done with them. Same goes for mango. Why do people use MAL anyway? Bakaupdates has more info and the same can be said for ANN. Heck even 4chan [arguably] is reliable, if you actually know how to spot trolls.

The same can be said for onemanga. Why'd people use it anyway? It's not very convenient plus the quality sucks.

I'm sorry but if anyone is to be baned at least they should have a reasonable explaination on why they were baned in the first palce. Heck I've did something stuipd a long time ago on a forum site and was given a reasonable explaination of what I shouldn't of done. Although I wasn't sure if it was a good idea at first since I had my doubts, but at least I was given a reason though.

I mean if it's a forum site you're expected to be given a good reason for things, unless you're posting one-liners and baiting people into a flame war, well that would be a different story.

Besides for the things here I'll come out and say it that I had to delete or remove certain posts here since they were either one-liners, something that brought nothing to the topic at all, or just plain baiting people into a flame war. Although I do move posts around here and edit them to show that they were moved, or merged into another thread.[/rant]

Besides I have to ask what's so appealing about MAL anyways aside from it having it list your own anime and a forum?

The appealing use of a list for me is when you're pining for a recommendation. Nothing is more frustrating to the recomendee and recommender than "seen that, seen that, seen that, seen that."

Anybody, didn't you post that discussion here? How in the hell did you get banned from MAL if you ddin't even post it in their forums? Or did you make one there as well? That sucks, considering how long it takes to make those lists.

I would suspect someone had a grudge with you. You are very abrasive in a lot of discussions, and it tends to create drama. That's not saying that the ban was justified, just pointing out that there may be more to it than the onemanga discussion (more likely a vendetta). Unfortunately, people who can't handle a good argument tend to rule with an iron fist when they get in positions of power.

Oh, did you give the IRC a shot? See what its for, and if its an abusive mod, maybe you'll get em thrown out.

My MAL is my Microsoft Word Document =P listing up to 350+ series...lol

But anyway that poor management....>.<

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 25 2010, 12:43 AM) Going by what I did through last ~48 hours:
- Posting in a discussion about SHIKI ep3.
- Discussing stuff in club.
- Posting a tl;dr post about why OneManga is bad.
Did you have an argument in anyone of the threads barring the last one? Also, do you recall using any sort of possible foul language in any thread at all? MAL has always been really pick with language, content, and mannerisms with the exception of a few clubs.

Have you contacted the admin of the site directly regarding your ban. Usually sites will allow whoever banned you to provide comments/reasons of banning. Admins should be able to view all this even if a mod banned you.

anyways, I've always noticed that MAL was strict on these things, and considering that I enjoy starting up massive debates, I tend to avoid such forums where mods become picky about the smallest things.

Apparently having your own opinion or saying something bad about "online manga" phishing websites is a big no no there AND MAL administrators like to do whatever they want without pre-warning/noticing their targets. Censorship much?
And yes, the lack of pre-warning for the more important things is the one thing I dislike about MAL. Ever since they went to facebook-ish layout, they've been having mysql and java errors constantly. The lack of preemptive warnings for downtime or anything really annoys me. However, it is indeed the easiest place to search for something specific compared to anidb or ANN. Not to mention that you can search light novels now.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 25 2010, 02:42 AM)

EDIT: Got answer
"Got sick of your posts and having to delete them, so I banned them. If people like you can't take a hint they should quit internet"

Hmmm, so you have had posts deleted in the past? Looks like the problem you are having is not so out of the blue.....

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jul 25 2010, 11:06 PM) Hmmm, so you have had posts deleted in the past? Looks like the problem you are having is not so out of the blue.....
NO in the last ~few months i did not. If I remember correctly my post was deleted twice:
1) Once I wrote a long long opinion/etc about episode after watching it and started an episode thread and it got deleted because there was a duplicate thread(with "omg this was cool" as OP post) created few minutes after mine.
2) Once series of my(and a lot of other people) posts disappeared because after database issues, MAL did a rollback into a day ago.

Apparantly he meant that my opinion on onemanga and/or something else was sooo offensive that it was easier to just ban the user than to delete all posts i made on the subject.

Still, even if my opinion (lets assume) was oh so horrible, usually those in power tend to warn at first. This is the very first case I seen where person gets banned because someone did not like his opinion.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jul 25 2010, 06:30 PM)
Have you contacted the admin of the site directly regarding your ban. Usually sites will allow whoever banned you to provide comments/reasons of banning. Admins should be able to view all this even if a mod banned you.

I did, the whole experience is posted in the op here
tongue.gif

(basically the whole figuring discussion out went like this: am I banned? - "yes", for what reason? - "No idea", is it temporary? - "no idea", how long it will last? - "no idea")

The reason(once I,after 4 more hours managed to contact the person who did that) basically was that "someone(either the person in power who banned me or someone else) did not like your opinion"

Anyway all of that does not matter as im just searching for some MAL-alternative now
wink.gif

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 26 2010, 06:47 AM) NO in the last ~few months i did not. If I remember correctly my post was deleted twice:
1) Once I wrote a long long opinion/etc about episode after watching it and started an episode thread  and it got deleted because there was a duplicate thread(with "omg this was cool" as OP post) created few minutes after mine.
2) Once series of my(and a lot of other people) posts disappeared because after database issues, MAL did a rollback into a day ago.

Apparantly he meant that my opinion on onemanga and/or something else was sooo offensive that it was easier to just ban the user than to delete all posts i made on the subject. 

Still, even if my opinion (lets assume) was oh so horrible, usually those in power tend to warn at first. This is the very first case I seen where person gets banned because someone did not like his opinion.
I have seen your type of posts before and usually they are either lies or not telling the complete truth.

And after reading alot of your posts i can see why they banned you on MAL with their extreme manner rules. Lucky for you we arent as picky here. But lets hope you will learn from the following and maybe adjust a little so that the same thing wont happen here.

Now lets break this small part of your post down that is quoted. First off you start with disrespect towards a fellow FTV member, using caps at your opening (caps on all letters of the word = screaming). NO or No is a big difference, you might not had the intention but that is the problem with text, it has no thoughts you can clearly read.

At 1) on their site they have the same as we have here. A date/time system so you can see when each thread/post was made. So probably while you where typing your long message the other person had already made his thread with a one liner (lucky for people 1 liner posts here are against the rules, so small change of it happening here). Though i cant check that, because your thread is gone.

At 2) they never take those into account in total deleted post for a ban. And most people know that.

And as far as i know people dont get banned their on their first mistake or few mistakes. Like the moderator said too you he got tired of deleting all your posts. So i am guessing he has been doing it for a while now. And like i said before if you act there the same way as you do here i cant understand his reasoning. Because too be honest all i can see in more then 90% of your posts here is negativity and full of complaints about almost everything. And if you do like something but somebody else gives his/her opinion on it and doesnt like it, you attack the person one way or the other (HOTD thread as a example).

So probably the reason why you got banned on MAL is probably because people got tired of you and your so called opinions. Because as far as i can see, you are always trying too find a reason too complain towards something. A anime, a character, a song, a fellow member, other website's and forums etc...

Even this thread is a example of it. You got banned on MAL and needed a place too complain and put them in a negative spotlight, so you posted it here. I have more too say but will do it later on. You can state your opinion on my words if you can do it in a normal tone that shows respect towards my opinion and stating yours. Mutual respect gets you further then trashing somebody's opinion.

On a side note, because you returned during my absence. I will give you one small warning, me the poster (normal casual posts) and me the mod (on duty posts) are 2 different person's
wink.gif
. This post is as me the poster. Ask older members you like me as the poster, make sure i dont turn into the mod O_O (i got my title for a reason
ph34r.gif
) . And yes i can be a sarcastic @#$ sometimes XD .

I honestly don't see the point in using a website like MAL. I figure if you need a website to keep track of your anime/manga viewing, you're trying to view too many at once >>;;. That being said, I can't really make a comment on whether their actions were fair or not having not seen what you posted. For instance, if you're post had been on the hateful side of things (maybe towards people who used onemanga), and if you have a history of having these kinds of posts deleted, and the mod thought you'd continue to make these kinds of posts, then maybe the ban was valid.

Just or unjust the way they dismissed you from the site was very unprofessional. So in that respect I can understand your grievances. I think it is important there is transparency when deleting posts never mind banning users. That way there is no room for interpretation if the worst does happen. Some sort of "paper trail" also puts the moderators in a stronger position because if the user does complains about foul play then the moderator can prove they acted in a reasonable manner. It doesn't become a case of his word against his. So in that respect their behaviour doesn't make a lot of sense.

I didn't realise that MAL was so strict with its policies. Although post deletion sounds bad I know you do not have to be a terrible/abusive poster to get posts deleted. I have had numerous posts in a sports forum deleted because of petty reasons. The thing that makes it easier for posts to be deleted is because the BBC are very paranoid about having a libel case thrown at them, what's more Britain has one of the toughest libel laws in the world so in effect they delete anything that is borderline offensive. So it is very difficult to even suggest a sportsman is a cheater as that could be deleted but quite often they do cheat and it is a talking point. You are effectively walking a tightrope. Then you get immature posters that can't handle losing an argument and will maliciously complain (people are banned for this). Thankfully I was never banned or even reached pre-moderation but I have seen it happen a lot of times. To perfectly good posters I may add.

I am guessing the moderator had the same mentality as the complaining users I described. You probably said something that rubbed them the wrong way (slightly confrontational post?) and got a response that was completely disproportionate to the crime.

Usually, at least from when I was a Mod at gamerwinners, if a post was deleted the moderator and/or admin would wipe the post text clean and insert something like:

QUOTE This post was deleted for violating forum policy

or something like that. The moderator would be required to required to outline in the mod forum why a person should be banned and provide evidence. If the mod was requesting an immediate ban, they would have to provide 3 examples happening within 24 hours or multiple examples of forum abuse if a person continued to violate forum policy before being banned. The only exception to that rule was if a member did something so outrageous (like posting porn, links to phishing sites or links to virus/worms) that it would warrant a ban without explanation. Thread violations would be closed and moved to the "recycle bin" where they would remain for a predetermined amount of time before deletion. (so if those threads needed to be referenced, they'd still be available.)

Like mentioned before, there are two sides to every story and without hearing from the other party, we can only take what's being said here at face value and offer opinions about it. Either they were being childish and unprofessional about this whole ordeal or there's a side of the story that's not being told.

In either case, hell I use my membership at ANN to keep track of the manga and anime I watch. Being able to list them:

Anime:
Want to see
Seen some
Seen all

Manga:
Want to read
Read some
Read all

And give them a rating is more than enough for me. You might not be able to display the list to other people (never tried) however if you just want a list and the ability to look up information about those items, it more than works for me.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back