Direct Download or Bit Torrent?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Which is better?Direct Download or Bit Torrent?

• Direct Download

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bit Torrent

• Cannot choose, both are quite good

• Total voters

solarwing

-ero-sennin
Retired
Well I have tried both myself, direct download and going through bit torrent.........

There were times when I downloaded much faster through bit torrent while the direct download really suck.......
sad.gif

But on certain occasions, direct download did go way faster than bit torrent......

As for me I mostly use direct download coz my bit torrent sort of crash.
I just wanted to know what you think about it..........which one do you prefer?

Tell us about your experiences..........
biggrin.gif
It could be useful to others too.

hmm, I don't think any people will choose BT instead of ddl. BT is very slow,it based on how many peopleb are share the file and the speed of your internet.

howver, i also find out that BT is useful, for some old movie, or licensed anime ^^, I use BT to dl, because it is rare to find them using ddl.the problem is some of the torrents are dead. T.T and also, bT can be paused and resumed at any time, and some ddl cannot be resumed.

There are some advantages and disadvantages on both BT and ddl.

It's hard to choose. Both sources are reliable. BTs are reliable on fast downloads, while DDs are reliable on hosting, and doesn't die as much as BT after a week or so. Depending on what you download, BTs are good for freshness and DD is good for older ones.

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ May 28 2006, 01:52 AM) It's hard to choose. Both sources are reliable. BTs are reliable on fast downloads, while DDs are reliable on hosting, and doesn't die as much as BT after a week or so. Depending on what you download, BTs are good for freshness and DD is good for older ones.
Yes I totally agree with you..........both are good in their own ways.

We simply have to choose which one of them will better suit our needs.........but there are also people who cant use direct download or bit torrent..........some can only use direct download, like me, while others rely on bit torrent coz their connection speed suck........
dry.gif

BitTorrent would work better if people would continue sharing the file once their download is complete.

I can understand why some don't: My own client often refuses to continue sharing, and many don't want to put themselves at greater risk by continuing to share the entire file. Most, though, just don't want to keep sharing because of inconvenience. To them, I say "Meh!". They are the reason why BitTorrent is nearly worthless after the initial rush for the file.

BitTorrent also isn't as effective behind NAT and is blocked by some organizations, so some of us can't take full advantage of it.

For those reasons, direct download is a tremendous help. I couldn't get 90% of the files I do without direct download. I try to help by spending some time seeding files on BitTorrent when I'm able. I'll also be donating in the future.

bit torrent is the best option, in my opinion, because it makes the best use of the available bandwidth.. it's really easy to resume a torrent, the files you download are checked to see if the information is correct, and you share what you're downloading in order to maximize the available bandwidth for a file.

direct download is much more demanding to be a good option, and its main advantage is that it works over most firewalls and things like that.. direct download has a lot to learn from bittorrent though!

My vote goes to Bit torrent because it seems that there are many more things available to download by using this vs. direct download.

I prefer Bit Torrent over Direct Download because the speed for both of them are basically the same for me (6-9kbs)

Also with Direct Download you have to download it at once, if you dissconnect or your connection breaks you have to start again.....
dry.gif

BT for me as well.
I've had connection probs a lot as of late and the auto resume is quite useful. BT speeds, at least for me, have been far more reliable than ddl.

QUOTE (darkness_n_destruction @ May 28 2006, 05:53 AM) Also with Direct Download you have to download it at once, if you dissconnect or your connection breaks you have to start again.....
dry.gif

But you can choose a download manager with direct download, this way you will not lose what you have already downloaded...........in fact you can pause your download, then resume it later on...........
biggrin.gif

speeds differ for everything. like dd is good for stuff without much seeds, but probably BT for stuff thats popular and just come out. like i download FSN at 11 pm and finished watching it by 12 on BT. of course i expect dd is a bit safer and probably more consistent when it comes to speeds (in their own range)
not all direct downloads can resume.

QUOTE (solarwing @ May 28 2006, 03:18 PM) But you can choose a download manager with direct download, this way you will not lose what you have already downloaded...........in fact you can pause your download, then resume it later on...........
biggrin.gif

Hmm i tried flashget jet car to download off fansub TV (with the chunk download turned off
smile.gif
) and after i paused it ,it didnt work.............
sad.gif
blink.gif

QUOTE (darkness_n_destruction @ May 28 2006, 09:22 AM) Hmm i tried flashget jet car to download off fansub TV (with the chunk download turned off
smile.gif
) and after i paused it ,it didnt work.............
sad.gif
blink.gif

When you resume it, you must change the link address of the download, just go back to the page where you got the link then copy it to your download manager.......then it'll work
biggrin.gif

If you need further information here's the link:
http://boards.fansub.tv/index.php?showtopic=1554

BT works best for new episodes and especially popular episodes such as high school girls or nana or any of the new ones
i have managed to get dl speed of 1532kB/sec on BT for high school girl
however, for older episodes, i think direct download is great
so far, managed to get 328KB/sec on direct download
thats pretty amazing speeds for http connection

Well. Direct downloading depends mostly on the bandwidth restrictions of the site you are downloading from, and bittorrent on how many/who is sharing the file. I tend to like torrenting better, because it takes fuller advantage of my connection's speed. I can direct download at around 8 megabytes/s (that is megabytes not bits) but I usually don't get over 100kb/s from FTV. (I think I got an episode of Nana at 800kb/s once) However, assuming it is a relatively active torrent (new show on this site) I almost always get over 1000kb/s Torrent also has the luxury of wider selection, since you only need one person seeding it. I once downloaded all of NGE, (with movies) which is around 10gb on my harddrive in less than 3 hours, and there were only 3 seeders! I think the reason this worked is because the seeder was on the exact same network I was on (campus), but either way that person had an insane connection to me.

Like many of the others said
happy.gif

They both have their advantages~

I usually use BT, since well most of the stuff im downloading
now are recent anime and therefor there are a lot of seeds...
For older anime i'd go with Direct download since there is either
to little seeds or none at all~

I go with whichever is faster and more reliable
wink.gif

QUOTE (windfinder @ May 28 2006, 10:58 AM)Well. Direct downloading depends mostly on the bandwidth restrictions of the site you are downloading from, and bittorrent on how many/who is sharing the file.
Yes Bit Torrent is very useful but only if there are people sharing the file.Some people just stop seeding when they have finished their downloads.Well thats not very helpful when there are no seeds at all, you may find yourself stuck in the middle of a download, say 52%, then nothing
sad.gif
then you have to wait for someone to seed it for you.......it can be rather frustrating....
dry.gif

When I was using Bit Torrent, I just kept seeding the files even when am finished just to help others coz I myself have been downloading from others and I know how it feels when you are stuck with no seeds at all.......so we just have to cooperate.its a relationship of give and take.........peer to peer, people just dont seem to understand it.........
unsure.gif

QUOTE (Kyuusai @ May 28 2006, 01:04 AM) Most, though, just don't want to keep sharing because of inconvenience. To them, I say "Meh!". They are the reason why BitTorrent is nearly worthless after the initial rush for the file.
There's a tracker... datorrents.com... They simply block you ip if you don't keep the share ration over 1. I think it is kinda good way to motivate people to share.

As for NAT. Well, if you are living at campus, it's not that good. But if you own your internet connection and you decide what to do and which port to forward, then it works much faster...

I voted for BT. But the fastest thing I have ever used (stable 560kilobytes/sec all the time, on my 2mbit connection (I guess I have 4mbit...
blink.gif
)) is IRC. Really, try to download Air Gear from Kyuuketsuki irc channel. It is like... FAST!

Both of them are good really!!
laugh.gif

It just depends on which one is better to use at a certain time~

Example~ myself
ph34r.gif

When I was a (dial-up) user:
Direct Download: GREAT!
Bit Torrent: SUCKS!

When I entered university (LAN):
Direct Download: PERFECT!
Bit Torrent: NEVER WORKED! >.<"

When I became a (DSL) user:
Direct Download: Perfect!
Bit Torrent: Perfect!

Heaven!!! -^__^-

QUOTE (Mune @ May 28 2006, 12:16 PM) Both of them are good really!!
laugh.gif

It just depends on which one is better to use at a certain time~

Example~ myself
ph34r.gif

When I was a (dial-up) user:
Direct Download: GREAT!
Bit Torrent: SUCKS!

When I entered university (LAN):
Direct Download: PERFECT!
Bit Torrent: NEVER WORKED! >.<"

When I became a (DSL) user:
Direct Download: Perfect!
Bit Torrent: Perfect!

Heaven!!! -^__^-
Think about those university admins, who use bittorrent... They can, since they are admins there
wink.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back