Wallpaper issues!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

anbuu

-chi
Kouhai
This is something that's been bothering me for quite some times now. Usually the wallpapers I use for my desktop are .jpegs, and are generally good quality. However when I use a a background with a .png extension, the areas under my icons become this navy blue color and it's just annoying. I've been to the Display Properties and changed the overall background color to white to see if that helped, and it doesn't make much of an improvement.

I want my clear .png pic to be my background but I can't get the stupid background of my icons to go away! Does anyone know a method to remove this so that the background for my icons is transparent in the same manner that .jpegs are?

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but try this:
Control Panel -> Display -> Appearance
Click Effects

One of the options should be something about shadow behind icons, just turn it off, then refresh your desktop. See if that helps. I'm not at my computer right now (at work, unable to check the actual options due to restrictions on the computer) so the steps might be a little off, when I get home I'll check again to make sure and maybe suggest another option.

Convert the background to a jpeg of course. I'm guessing you are using windows XP since I've never come upon that using Vista. I'm thinking it has something to do with the way XP treats different image formats. In which case the only way to fix it would be to convert the picture.

Or if you dont want to convert it you could always upload the picture to an image hosting website and make it you wallpaper from there.

Yeah, both ways didn't work chaos, it deals only with the shadow behind the text, and there's a shadow behind the icon as well. Even after doing the steps, there was still an ugly white shadow behind the text.

I just don't want to convert back to .jpg because it looks so crappy! The quality takes a major plunge when I do that, so i don't know what to do.
sad.gif

What about .bmp? I know .bmp is a hog but it might fix the problem.

Or take a screenshot of it to let us understand more. O_O

Screen shot so we have a better understanding of what you mean.

im guessing you tried uploading the image to an image hosting site. but yeah a screen shot will help us out more.

You do understand that converting it to a jpeg will lose a very very small amount of quality such that you can almost not tell the two apart if you do it correctly. Gimp or Photoshop and probably many other picture editing software allow you to change how much compression is used when converting it to a jpeg so you can set it to maximum quality and then save the picture and it will be almost the same as the png.

I don't think paint has this option which is probably why you say that converting it will reduce the quality.

Yeah I've been an idiot and only tried converting the file through MS Paint. I tried Gimp and it worked. Sorry for being such an idiot
dry.gif

thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back