Adding Age And Sex To Profile

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

warita200

Tai Youkai
Sempai
I have a question/suggestion. A lot of time when exchanging ideas with ppl in this forum it would be helpfull to know, whether I am talking with a girl or a boy. There is no such an option in the profile. Most of the time you cannot tell by the nick, nor the avatar, in fact most of the avatars are pretty misleading, just like mine. I am a girl, but have a male character as avatar. My question is: why is the personnal info profile so bare? I think it would be nice, if you could display sex and age there
smile.gif

[MODERATOR's NOTE: Please use a seperate thread for every suggestions. It makes it a lot easier to remember what was suggested and decide what to add]

QUOTE (warita200 @ Sep 13 2006, 04:06 PM) I have a question/suggestion. A lot of time when exchanging ideas with ppl in this forum it would be helpfull to know, whether I am talking with a girl or a boy. There is no such an option in the profile. Most of the time you cannot tell by the nick, nor the avatar, in fact most of the avatars are pretty misleading, just like mine. I am a girl, but have a male character as avatar. My question is: why is the personnal info profile so bare? I think it would be nice, if you could display sex and age there
smile.gif

There's already a thread/poll for this so I guess that's probably the reason
unsure.gif
However, I do like the idea, then members can actually differentiate one from another (assuming people don't lie about their gender), especially newer members and people won't get genders mixed up when referring to someone.

Existing Gender Thread: http://boards.fansub.tv/index.php?showtopic=1035

QUOTE (warita200 @ Sep 13 2006, 04:06 PM) My question is: why is the personnal info profile so bare? I think it would be nice, if you could display sex and age there
smile.gif

Well you do have a birthday field. So age could be added easily. As for sex, I don't see any special reason why its not there. It simply was not added at first. But for having talked about this from time to time, I think most members would not fill that field. Many people like the "mysterious" factor of a forum account.

on other forums ppl have to fill in the gender and nobody seems to mind. I think it would be helpfull. That way I wouldnt have to ask ppl all the time.

QUOTE (Bold @ Sep 13 2006, 04:20 PM) Well you do have a birthday field. So age could be added easily. As for sex, I don't see any special reason why its not there. It simply was not added at first. But for having talked about this from time to time, I think most members would not fill that field. Many people like the "mysterious" factor of a forum account.
lol. Noob is a perfect example as he likes to be mysterious
ph34r.gif

I think the members should have the option of filling in their genders not a mandatory requirement. Some may not feel comfortable at first to tell their gender since he/she is still new to the site and feels somewhat of an outsider, but once he/she becomes more comfortable in the Fansub TV community, he/she may possibly then take the time to fill that blank.

Well, it's definetly something to consider but even if the gender option is available, many people are likely to lie about their gender. It is quite common actually, many guys love impersonating girls to create an impression on other guys that they are talking to a chick that loves anime. But there are also the people who tell the truth, so I support this idea 100%
Not quite sure if I should tell you my gender or not (I want to make people guess), I can't really remember if I already stated it previously, so if you can prove my gender then I guess their's no reason in hiding it.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Sep 13 2006, 05:42 PM) Well, it's definetly something to consider but even if the gender option is available, many people are likely to lie about their gender. It is quite common actually, many guys love impersonating girls to create an impression on other guys that they are talking to a chick that loves anime.
huh.gif
huh.gif
Nani?!?!?
huh.gif

What exactly is the point of making others think they are talking to a girl who loves anime??? I really don't see a point! Unless someone seeks a relationship ... and in that case the other person is up for a rather large suprise when he sees you!

QUOTE (Bold @ Sep 13 2006, 05:56 PM) What exactly is the point of making others think they are talking to a girl who loves anime??? I really don't see a point! Unless someone seeks a relationship ... and in that case the other person is up for a rather large suprise when he sees you!
It's also nasty when other guys end up hitting on you or become overly fond of you. In World of Warcraft, nobody gives a damn about me when I'm playing my male characters but when I'm playing my female characters, people suddenly turn warm and helpful. The behavioral difference in quite amazing. Guys are a lot nicer to girls in comparison to guys. ... but now that's getting off topic.
tongue.gif

It can be very funny if the same sex starts to have a crush on you, I would laugh my ass off
smile.gif

QUOTE (daft27 @ Sep 13 2006, 06:03 PM) It's also nasty when other guys end up hitting on you or become overly fond of you. In World of Warcraft, nobody gives a damn about me when I'm playing my male characters but when I'm playing my female characters, people suddenly turn warm and helpful. The behavioral difference in quite amazing. Guys are a lot nicer to girls in comparison to guys. ... but now that's getting off topic.
tongue.gif

I don't think that's the case in this situation. Although Fansub TV is mostly male according to the poll in the gender thread, I haven't seen one time when there was a male on the forum who began hitting on a girl for a relationship or the other way around. Well, at least not in the forums; PM's I don't know, but I'm assuming the team has not received any complaints about an issue like this, right? Besides, sooner or later, one will be able to tell whether a member is a male or a female. It depends on how one responds in the forums. Therefore, I don't see a problem with the gender option. However, the final decision is all up to you daft.

QUOTE Besides, sooner or later, one will be able to tell whether a member is a male or a female. It depends on how one responds in the forums
i agree like i can guess almost all your genders.
also ages because of your birth dates
so...

warita200- you are a girl (as u said), and ill say around 15 or 14 ( dont kill me if i am way off)
Kit-Tsukasa- your 15 i believe boy also
Bold- 27 i think and a boy
chiisai_hana- girl ill say around 18
InuyashaX- boy 15 i think
daft- boy 21, but it would be kinda cool if you were a girl, you dont see many girls leading things like these.
Me-boy 18

just a point i need to point out, a forum is a place for discussing and sharing opinions and ideas. So therefore adding or not adding the option would not really affect anything, unless this is a online dating site
unsure.gif

IMO i dont really mind if its is added or not
smile.gif

QUOTE Many people like the "mysterious" factor of a forum account.
LOL
laugh.gif

its not a necessary feature, this forum was very bare from the start more focused on pure simple conversation... the very first one wasn't even IPB ;o

you dont need to know the gender of the person your talking to ;p and most of those younger (most of the people on here) like the anonymity or tend to act different, many times stupid, etc with that knowledge

I dont have a problem with it.. most forums I go to have this function anyhow
smile.gif

Well for the most part, it wouldn't matter for the gender/age function anyhow. Some of the members would like some privacy on their own behalf and all. IF you want to know their age/gender, just ask them flat out, it wouldn't hurt you.

Besides... There's more to a person than just gender... jeez, I can even role-play as a girl whenever I can! However, just get straight to it.

"FTV is a friendly community." None of those dating crap.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Sep 13 2006, 04:03 PM) It's also nasty when other guys end up hitting on you or become overly fond of you. In World of Warcraft, nobody gives a damn about me when I'm playing my male characters but when I'm playing my female characters, people suddenly turn warm and helpful. The behavioral difference in quite amazing. Guys are a lot nicer to girls in comparison to guys. ... but now that's getting off topic.
tongue.gif

That is slightly offtopic as you said, but also very true. One of my random made characters was female and i came across that all the time when i told them i wasn't female (some still don't believe me to this day)

But as for the topic at hand, i feel the gender thread "http://boards.fansub.tv/index.php?showtopic=1035" works for that, if someone wants to post their gender then they can do that there, and if you want to find out someones gender you can search there. (unless of course they don't want you to know their gender and they didn't post it there)

QUOTE (wittyfox @ Sep 13 2006, 07:05 PM) Bold- 27 i think and a boy
huh.gif
huh.gif
I know I am amongs the older here, but you jsut added 4 years to my age!

So over all, I think we can safely say that most people are not against the idea of having gender added to the profiles. But it's not a priority either, because as mentionned before, there are other ways to know the gender of a person if you are interested.

I don't particularily like spouting such personal specifics. If its a non-mandatory field then perhaps it would be ok, yeah?

yeah, why not have age and gender things.
I wouldn't mind knowing who's a girl and boy as well as if I'm talking to someone close to my age or a 13 year old thinking he's my age judging by dialog.
If it was optional i'd be all for it. If it's mandatory, well, I"m not sure as to what the benefit there in would be.
Aside from having the birthdate field available, I"m not good at math let alone spelling I'm sure some readers have noticed. I wouldn't mind seeing an age thing or something like that there.

QUOTE (wittyfox @ Sep 13 2006, 05:05 PM) InuyashaX- boy 15 i think

I'm 16!

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back