Integrate twitter/facebook to the profile page

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Do you use the following the social networking siteS?

• Twitter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Facebook

• MySpace

• MAL

• A number of social networking sites

• Other

• None at all

• Total voters

monsta666

-the bee's knees
Staff member
Fansub TV Team
Considering social networking sites are so popular these days (and seem to be going from strength to strength) I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to include some sort of twitter/facebook integration with the profile page. By integration I mean the profile page would link to the users latest tweets (if twitter) or comments on their wall (if facebook). This option could provide an additional means for users to communicate with other forum members and may even help establish long-term friendships outside the forum. Not only that, but as most social networking sites are built for chatting it could even reduce the amount of spammy one-liners seen in the forum. Leading to an overall increase in the quality of posts as users would be encouraged to use people's twitter/facebook pages for casual conversations.

It is just a question of how many people use it and I was wondering how many people use twitter/facebook to communicate with friends over the internet? Please use the poll provided above.

At the rate of Twitter and facebook getting hack uhh....>.<

There is also the problem that sites like facebook share much more information than you want it to. You could almost assume someone else's identity using just the information they post on facebook if they use it relatively frequently.

I thought I was outta the loop for not using facebook or myspace or twitter or whatever. I guess I'm okay... oh wait, there's only 8 votes so far...

I like to keep my privacy so I don't use those.

I am under the impression twitter is still largely based on an alias (never used it, never been to the site, hoping it stays that way!) but I could see there being an issue with Facebook because it is quite personal. While it's great to have the link if you know the people well, you have to remember how much traffic this site gets. Thousands of people have access, if they take the time to look. (And while you may lock the profile, I wouldn't want to be responsible if someone linked to their facebook and kept the page open for anyone to view their personal information)

That said, I have issues with Facebook and many of my friends have taken the step of deleting it, so I'm biased against it.

But I do think you could make a more generalized section under the "communicate" heading that would allow people to put a link to the social networking site of their choice (assuming that's possible).

I'm not all for the too personal stuff like facebook and myspace but I just became interested in Twitter, I tried to stay away from it because popular things tend to be a bad thing apparently? Twitter is simply public mini blogging, which is okay for me because I can never write enough to blog properly. It's basically like a status on an instant messenger, so far it's not as bad as I thought it would be... so far anyway...

Well, facebook user here.
i've only been using it for a couple of months now, but it's really not that bad.
i mean, you choose yourself how much information you want to put on it.
if you don't want your name on it, don't do it.

I don't like the idea of having everything public either. i do share some personal information, but that can only be seen by people i invite as friends since my profile is a private one.

I have used myspace as well, but stopped using it. seems like it more used than a dating site than a social networking site.

Twitter i never got into, but i'm not one for blogging anyway.

Edit:
just realized i haven't even been on topic.
well, that said, i don't know if an integration would work well for a community like this. what works better is probably do a make over the the fansub profiles to include more information. If pictures are still uploaded to image hosting sites, it wouldn't pull that much bandwith either.

Before this post I did not have a facebook but now I do, not so much for the personal things but the flash games are quite interesting. I think Twitter Integration is a good idea for profiles, it's a simple status update along with random fun. It's not as if you have to blog really... Twitter only allows 140 letters per post, it's also a nice way to receive updates from favorite artists, nicovnews, or whatever you may wish.

i was thinking about something like this but for the blogs we've already got running, it would be nice to have something like twitter (or even if its a full intergration of it onto the blogs or profiles) in the blogs/profiles. i'm more up for it to be put into the blogs since its like a status update kind of thing for little random thoughts that're too short to be proper blog posts but something that you still want to share.

not too sure about facebook since its really personal and there's really too much personal information available on facebook to be put on the profile page =/

FB is too personal but it also get a tad bit boring and repetitive with the apps that it has. I don't really use FB apart from chatting with old friends.

Twitter on the other hand in my opinion will be a useful integration because of its rising popularity as well as its simplicity.
rolleyes.gif

Long time no see Sammy.
laugh.gif

EDIT:

But will be even MORE AWESOME to be able to collaborate with MAL.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I use facebook and mal, personally I think mal integration would be better as its relevant to our interests - by that i mean its another anime/manga type of thing.

Facebook has an RSS integrator thing, so you can get your ftv blog posts to appear on your wall. I use that from my other blog.

I'm starting to hate all this social networking stuff, constant updates on whos got a new pic/girlfirend/dog/or cd - its stuff i really dont need to know about everyone.

Anyway, MAL would be cool. Especially, awesomely cool if when we "subscribe" or "start watching" on FTV that it would add it to our MAL list, and then out stats from MAL appear in our ftv profiles.

Edit:
Actually the poll is a bit flawed - its asking what we use, its not asking what we want integrated - just mentioning this becuase I use FB, but i wouldnt use an FTV-FB integration.

Well since the site already has a FB page we might as well try and run with that first to see if things will work or not. In any case I was guessing that's why you were asking which of those social networking sites we frequently use and run with that right?

*edit*

Oh wait this thread was over a year old?
blink.gif

Man when I saw this thread I thought this was somewhat current aty first.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back