Ghost in the Shell ARISE: Alternative Architecture

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council
Koukaku Kidoutai: Arise, Ghost in the Shell Border:1 Ghost Pain

Title: Mobile Armored Riot Police ARISE -Ghost in the Shell-
Japanese: 攻殻機動隊ARISE -GHOST IN THE SHELL-
Release date: 22/6/2013 (OVA series, 4 movies)
Genres: Science fiction noir, post-cyberpunk, Action, Mecha, Military
Original creator: Shirow Masamune
Director and character designer: Kazuchika Kise
Written by: Tow Ubukata
Music by: Cornelius
Sound director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
Art directors: Yusuke Takeda and Takaaki Mashiki
Mechanical design by: Takayuki Yanase
3D CGI by: Orange
3D CG director: Eiji Inomoto
Director of photography: Hiroshi Tanaka and Kōji Tanaka
Art setting by: Hiroshi Katō and Naoki Arakawa
Color design by: Kazu Doi, Mayumi Satō and Yumiko Katayama
Editing by: Junichi Uematsu, Taeko Hamauzu and Yoshinori Murakami
Line producer: Junichi Satō
Prop setting by: Naoki Arakawa
Studio: Production I.G
Opening theme: "GHOST IN THE SHELL ARISE" by Cornelius
Ending theme: "Jibun ga Inai (じぶんがいない, You Are Not Alone)" by salyu×salyu (studio live version)
Cast:
Major Motoko Kusanagi (草薙 素子) voiced by Maaya Sakamoto
Chief Daisuke Aramaki (荒巻 大輔) voiced by Ikyū Jyuku
Batou (バトー) voiced by Kenichirō Matsuda
Togusa (トグサ) voiced by Tarusuke Shingaki
PVs:
Border 1: Kurutsu (クルツ) voiced by Mayumi Asano
Raizō (ライゾー) voiced by Takanori Hoshino
Ibachi (イバチ)http://www.kokaku-a.jp/tv/img/chara/prof16.png voiced by Masahiro Mamiya
Mamuro (マムロhttp://www.kokaku-a.jp/tv/img/chara/prof18.png) voiced by Atsushi Miyauchi

Official and english websites:

Synopsis: The anime's story is set in 2027, one year after the end of the fourth non-nuclear war. New Port City is still reeling from the war's aftermath when it suffers a bombing caused by a self-propelled mine. Then, a military member implicated in arms-dealing bribes is gunned down. During the investigation, Public Security Section's Daisuke Aramaki encounters Motoko Kusanagi, the cyborg wizard-level hacker assigned to the military's 501st Secret Unit. Batou, a man with the "eye that does not sleep," suspects that Kusanagi is the one behind the bombing. The Niihama Prefectural Police detective Togusa is pursuing his own dual cases of the shooting death and a prostitute's murder. Motoko herself is being watched by the 501st Secret Unit's head Kurutsu and cyborg agents.

Necropinion: back in 1995 when I wasn't very familiar with anime series and less about movies besides the most accessible, like Akira and Ninja Scroll I was really impressed while watching the first GitS (still amazing for its time!)... that got me interested instantly in other Shirow's mangas and their adaptations like Appleseed or Dominion Tank Police so now that I saw Border:1 Ghost Pain, a similar title to the latest Metal Gear game I can't wait for B:2 Ghost Whispers in Nov. 30th and the rest from this tetralogy ^^ Ex: very high - PS 9/10

Finally tracked it down, decent movie for an origin story, expect more from the upcoming films.

The music though
blink.gif
I want the OST real bad right now, especially for the Ending and that one BG song that plays right after the opening.

@Necropinion: Oshii's take on GitS is interesting in an of itself, but IMO doesn't really do justice to the originals. Or since I didn't read the manga, I guess I should just say that I like the SAC series' way of handling the story significantly more than the movies'.

Oh and Innocence was really meh.

indeed both TV seasons and 3 OVAs were better adapted with many episodes than rushing the story in a couple of movies, that's why i'm glad that Arise will consist in 4 parts and i suppose they'll extend the length of the new ones... about soundtrack I couldn't find it or info maybe because they haven't confirmed a release date yet, but at least found the recent OP and ED single
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Jul 02 2013, 04:00 AM) indeed both TV seasons and 3 OVAs were better adapted with many episodes than rushing the story in a couple of movies, that's why i'm glad that Arise will consist in 4 parts and i suppose they'll extend the length of the new ones... about soundtrack I couldn't find it or info maybe because they haven't confirmed a release date yet, but at least found the recent OP and ED single
biggrin.gif

Well, I don't actually think that Oshii's movies rushed the story (these are the movies I'm talking about, not the movie remixes of the SAC series). It's just the focus was completely different. Oshii did his typical thing with the focus on (pseudo-)philosophical ramblings and "what is real" musings, while the SAC series dived into the intricacies of socio-political analysis through the prism of mildly dystopian near-future sci-fi. I'm personally just more interested in the latter.

GITSA Border:2 Ghost Whispers, and Koukaku Kidoutai Nyumon: Arise

Title: Mobile Armored Riot Police Introduction: Arise
Japanese: 攻殻機動隊入門 あらいず
Release date: 30/11/2013 (2nd OVA movie)
Airing date: 6/1/2014 (TV special series, 25 short episodes)
Ending theme (B2): "Soto wa Senjou da yo (外は戦場だよ)" by Ichiko Aoba (studio live version)
Cast:
Paz (パズ) voiced by Yōji Ueda
Ishikawa (イシカワ) voiced by Tomoyuki Dan
Saitō (サイトー) voiced by Takuro Nakakuni
Borma (ボーマ) voiced by Kazuya Nakai
PVs:
Logistics Conveyer Machine / Logicoma (ロジコマ), Logiko (ロジ子)
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bebx6_PCQAAVMx5.jpg:large and Comako (コマ子) voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro
Border 2: Soga (ソガ) voiced by Ikuya Sawaki
V.V. (ヴィヴィー) voiced by Takako Fuji

Anniversary site: Episode[.jp]:

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jul 02 2013, 12:28 PM)Oshii did his typical thing with the focus on (pseudo-)philosophical ramblings and "what is real" musings, while the SAC series dived into the intricacies of socio-political analysis through the prism of mildly dystopian near-future sci-fi. I'm personally just more interested in the latter.it seems the GitS Arise movie series are more focused on a SAC's premise kind, for me Border:2 was even better about Motoko fighting Batou and henchmen... before joining her squad (more like she forced them ;p), still I don't remember if they fought in previous films or TV series but those were cool action scenes
smile.gif

Except for characters, setting and themes, these stories are completely original from the manga, other movies and series. The other versions took the manga and embellished it, working to varying degrees (you are too nice to Innocence, Aus), but were often tied down by the weaknesses of the source material. So I've found this clean-slate approach to the GITS universe to be very enjoyable so far.

My only real complaint would be that I'm not exactly in love with the new character designs. Especially Saito. He looks like $#!~.

GITS Arise Border:3 Ghost Tears, and Border:4 Ghost Stands Alone

Release dates: 28/6/2014 (3rd OVA movie) and 6/9/2014 (4th OVA movie)
Ending theme (B3): "Heart Grenade" by Sean Lennon and Cornelius
ED theme (B4): "Split Spirit" by Yukihiro Takahashi and METAFIVE
Cast:
Emma Tsuda (ツダ・エマhttp://www.kokaku-a.jp/tv/img/chara/prof10.png) voiced by Ai Kayano
Zhinzhee Bekka Arr Thied (ジンジ・ベッカ・アル・サイード) voiced by Aya Hisakawa
Hozumi (ホズミ) voiced by Yuka Keicho
Tsumugi (ツムギhttp://www.kokaku-a.jp/tv/img/chara/prof17.png) voiced by Kenji Nojima
PVs:
Border 3: Akira Hose (ホセ アキラ) voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki
Scylla (スクラサス)http://kokaku-a.jp/arise/img/character-bg-20.png voiced by ???
Border 4: Brinda Jr. (ブリンダジュニア) voiced by Kensho Ono

Making Arise:Another Mission:

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Dec 03 2013, 10:51 PM)Except for characters, setting and themes, these stories are completely original from the manga, other movies and series. The other versions took the manga and embellished it, working to varying degrees (you are too nice to Innocence, Aus), but were often tied down by the weaknesses of the source material. So I've found this clean-slate approach to the GITS universe to be very enjoyable so far.I'm enjoying this movie series too but isn't it based on GITS Arise mangas? still was nice to see in B:3 Motoko's love life, teased by Batou and punching himself for that xD can't wait for that upcoming finale about Firestarter linked to SAC
biggrin.gif

Nice reboot of the series... were the VAs the same? Storyline was well written in a way to encourage a continuation of the series with the same team. Now, if Cowboy Bebop could do the same....
cool.gif

I was pleasantly surprised, they were like the first films, and not the last, at least from the version I saw online which looked dark and cheap and without much of a storyline. Well made series. 4- 1 hour films, saving almost all the titles for the end which really worked with this series and watching the 4 together.

GITS Arise: Alternative Architecture, Pyrophoric Cult and New Movie... also live-action currently filming

Titles: Mobile Armored Riot Police Arise: Alternative Architecture & Mobile Armored Riot Police: Ghost in the Shell The Movie
Japanese: 攻殻機動隊アライズ オルタナティヴ アーキテクチャ & 攻殻機動隊 新劇場版 GHOST IN THE SHELL
Airing date: 5/4/2015 (TV series 10 episodes)
Theatrical release dates: 20/6/2015 (animated movie) and 31/3/2017 (live action film)
Directors: Kazuya Nomura (movie) and Rupert Sanders (LA film)
Chief animation director: Tooru Ookubo (movie)
Music by: Keigo Oyamada (TV & movie)
Written by: Jamie Moss and William Wheeler (LA film)
Produced by: Ari Arad, Avi Arad, Steven Paul and Mark Sourian (LA film)
Production design by: Jan Roelfs and Dominic Watkins (LA film)
Costume design by: Kurt and Bart and Colleen Atwood (LA film)
Creative consultant: Sophie Charlotte Andresen (LA film)
Researcher: Cécile Bouquet (LA film)
Production assistant: Nicholas Bow (LA film)
Location manager: Dow Griffith (LA film)
Assistant to producer: Scott Sheldon (LA film)
Network: Tokyo MX, KBS, SUN, TVA, HTB, OX, SBS, TVQ, BS11
TV OP theme: "Anata o Tamotsu Mono (あなたを保つもの / What Keeps You)" by Maaya Sakamoto
Movie ED theme: "Mada Ugoku" (まだうごく / It Still Moves)" by Maaya Sakamoto and Cornelius

Live-action cast: Motoko Kusanagi (or another name?) played by Scarlett Johansson
Final TV arc cast: Pyromaniac (パイロマニア) voiced by Kenjirō Tsuda

New movie cast: Chris (クリス) voiced by Megumi Han

Osamu Fujimoto (藤本 修) voiced by NAOTO (EXILE / The Third J Soul Brothers)

Robert Lee (ロバート・リー) voiced by Mugihito

Supporting cast: Amagata (雨形)
Akira Fujimoto (藤本 彰)
Yōko Kitahara (北原 要子)
Itō (伊東)
Akiyama (秋山)
Kuwabara (桑原)
Haruyoshi Nada (灘 晴良)
Richard Wong (リチャード・ウォン)
PV: Website:

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Apr 22 2015, 07:24 PM)Nice reboot of the series... were the VAs the same? Storyline was well written in a way to encourage a continuation of the series with the same team. Now, if Cowboy Bebop could do the same....
cool.gif

I was pleasantly surprised, they were like the first films, and not the last, at least from the version I saw online which looked dark and cheap and without much of a storyline. Well made series. 4- 1 hour films, saving almost all the titles for the end which really worked with this series and watchingagreed but from what i read most VAs are different in previous GitS, well finally until ep'9 a new arc began this month... so with that Tv series finale i'm looking forward its newest movie, though i don't expect much from the live-action
huh.gif

Just watched the Alt Architecture series, very well done, especially nice to watch in 1080p.

One question is all of these are GIS films/animes are retellings of the first manga inlcuding that 3rd one I guess.... but why no attempt to deal with the second manga- ManMachine Interface? After the film in which she allowed the Puppeteer to merge with her cyberbrain.. Why keep repeating the same thing? Yes, they are well done and this alternative telling is nicely done, but why not move on like the character did in the second manga... life after that merge?

Haven't read the mangas, and perhaps I will, as they seem to imply that the mangaka is comtemplating cyborg existence in our future as the military research is heading anyway with robotics, AI etc. Always the physical, even with these cyberbrains in this manga... the mind isn't the brain, but those fixated on the physical, which they can control easier, just can't seem to contemplate life outside the body... any body. Perhaps the manga deals with that aspect of the issue more?

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Sep 02 2015, 08:11 PM)Just watched the Alt Architecture series, very well done, especially nice to watch in 1080p.

One question is all of these are GIS films/animes are retellings of the first manga inlcuding that 3rd one I guess.... but why no attempt to deal with the second manga- ManMachine Interface? After the film in which she allowed the Puppeteer to merge with her cyberbrain.. Why keep repeating the same thing? Yes, they are well done and this alternative telling is nicely done, but why not move on like the character did in the second manga... life after that merge?absolutely I want to see sequels about what you pointed, i only didn't like that AA eps were aired in a different order... i havent finished the manga yet so i dunno if all are retellings, but i was reading its latest film BR will be released next month
wink.gif

Finished reading the manga, and outside of a few character differences, the one that stands out the most is obviously the main character herself, which here in the anime is a more serious and modern type woman, and not the statuesque supermodel type as found in the manga, though that is easy to explain due to most of the buyers of these robots/cyborg body parts in a female form is guys looking for sex. The first manga is really 80s style and moves into the 90s and essentially the last decade in the second series. The middle one, 1.5 is mostly a few tied together stories of the group without her... mostly, she makes an appearance late in them, but as an outside independent type that she became after the Arise film that essentially finishes the first manga series. In the 2nd manga series, she is a global security chief for a huge global corporation, perhaps just to stay on top of the game... she has continued to expand her connections to other units, but even though the mangaka attempts to take it, by the end, to the next level using the usual esoteric Tree of Life type elements, he doesn't really seem to understand them, nor the mind vs brain element that is the basis of this series.... so it seems that like so many artists, he's gone in circles not understanding his destination... the transition from where we are to where we are going.... which includes the reset of the form/body back/towards a 4th density state of existence appropriate for the next level/density of this game of life. The mangaka gets really technical with his imagery, and detailed about certain scientific elements that are part of his story, the cyborg and medical, military aspects but all of it remains physical based, and the use of the channeling in the 2nd series seems an attempt to move past the restrictions of his own creation, but he doesn't seem to understand it enough to make good use of it... not too surprising, as his whole storyline is based in the physical... body and brain functions, not the mind, which is something I thought he would have delved into after the 1st manga series... Arise film ending of the merger of her character and 'ghost in the machine' consciousness... Puppeteer? forget the name.

Thus, it makes sense that the anime work has focused on the same elements... the physical and that storyline is essentially with that special police force, Section 8 or 6 or whatever. I kind of wonder if he's moved on sense completing the 2nd manga series? If he would have gone into the real esoteric instead of using it as a backdrop or tool for the story, I think he would have found a better storyline, as the 2nd series is a lot of build up for little satisfaction by the end... as he doesn't seem to know where he's going.... the transition... saying it doesn't display it for the audience, and this is common in most storylines that attempt to deal with these elements of our existence.

Maybe the Arise series will continue and pick up where he left off? The main character is much more 'real' and dramatic... it's funny to compare the difference... the 1st manga series is more comedy than action.... the 1.5 manga has that change to more action and the 2nd is mostly style, which looks great, but the story doesn't evolve like it seems to want to.... which means its author hasn't yet and thus cannot tell a story he doesn't understand. I wonder if that has changed since? I assume he's still connected to the anime series, so maybe any new films/OVAs/series will utilize the intent of the 2nd towards a more realistic goal? Time is running out... as that transition approaches, think 'Day After Tomorrow' x10... more mind and less matter based. Either way, this Arise storyline is done very well... that change in the main character's appearance is interesting.. .I wonder whose idea that was, as the rest are essentially the same, for the most part. Much darker and realistic... another sign of our times it seems.

Really don't mean it as a criticism, as it's extremely hard to find any mention of these rather esoteric elements of the transition in any other form than Japanese anime, that's i've come across... here in the USempire, it almost seems verbotten to broach the subject, instead we get official state propaganda, something Hollywood has been good at for many decades.... though a few projects slip past the censors it seems. One film comes to mind when I think of how anime has dealt with this issue, and that is the 2001: Space Odyssey.... I suppose you could include it's sequel, 2010, with that, but to a lesser extent, and for the same reason.... lack of knowledge of what it all means. I would be interesting to see this mangaka deal with that reality... he/they could pick up where the Arise film leaves off... that mind merger. I wonder if the Arise manga has gone any further than the anime series?

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Sep 06 2015, 04:13 PM)reason.... lack of knowledge of what it all means. I would be interesting to see this mangaka deal with that reality... he/they could pick up where the Arise film leaves off... that mind merger. I wonder if the Arise manga has gone any further than the anime seriesi haven't read this manga but now that i saw its new movie subbed, it ends in a similar way the 90's GITS film began... for me great Arise finale showing bits of Motoko as a child, her fake and how she trusts in her parts reassembled team
smile.gif

Yeah, just watched that 2015 version... so it's like a few months or years or whatever after her team left Unit 501.... but same storyline essentially... the transition of society to the next level.... it's a good film, anyone that likes the series will like this film... animation is the usual, but can't help but think how nice and slick this would look with a Hollywood budget... 10x or something like that, right?
ohmy.gif
I'm still surprised that they don't automatically do an english etc dub for all of these animes so sell in the western market... subs don't sell anywhere near the magnitude of english original work does, and with anime, the dub is the same, if done well, and this kind of material isn't Japanese culture specific like many of the VA work in other projects seem to be... the whole cutesy thing, antics et al... this action oriented anime would easily translate to any western language and culture, IMO, but it seems they don't believe in that prospect themselves to really take the risk and spend the capital to advertise and sell the product like Hollywood does.... insular attitude to go with their insular culture... that much hasn't seemed to change much since the Meiji Restoration.

Same complaint I have to take it to the next level... they are so close, same as I mentioned before with the manga... that whole ghost lobby etc is so SMC- social memory complex in esoteric terms... essentially next level stuff... after the transition set to occur rather soon... timing has always been in flux... but said to be soon, though most people will simply transition back to the 'afterlife/beforelife' or etheric realm of the mind, which is all you take with you... essentially, as the etheric body/form maker body is always there utilizing the information field or what Sheldrake called the morphological field for each species etc. This mangaka seems so close... yet the different directors/creators of the tv series and films keep repeating the same concept of this transition....

They could at least do what the manga did and have her change bodies, something I thought of when this twin body type appeared in this film.. I suppose at the end, she keeps it for parts? Those must be hard to come by.

I see that Dreamworks is doing a live action version for release next year starring Scarlett Johansson, giving it the Hollywood treatment, which should look great, but it is just going to do the same original manga storyline... again! Sure fans will want to check it out, but still the same thing.. they really don't know what to do next... and I guess that's due to the mangaka author ... otherwise, I think he would have written a new one to take it to the next level... SMC development... but that's essentially after the transition... and most people won't survive, so the whole game changes... think 'Day After Tomorrow' x10... as that film left out the volcanoes, large EQs, comets, plague and plate movements etc.... the whole planet is transitioning, not just some people on/in it.

Oh well, it seems the author has continued along the same lines of thought in 'Appleseed' and even that concept of his in 'Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn'.... might have to check them out.... but sounds pretty similar, as he hasn't kept moving along the path of knowledge... but rather stopped, like most do, along the way to enjoy what they've found.

Still, this film is very good for the series, and the Hollywood one next year should be too... especially live action with a Hollywood budget.
cool.gif

-----------
PS... I just saw that 'Appleseed" was an earlier manga than Ghost in the Shell... so similarities should be obvious... 'Pandora' is later, a few years ago[2012 and ongoing]... and it seems centered more on the cyborg girl finding peace... might have to check it out instead of Appleseed, which sounds the same as Ghost.

=========
Ok... another site says he wrote the concept given to the mangka of Pandora, to prevent too much Ghost affect, sophistry (he says)... and whatnot to prevent any issues... so, hmmm.... still ongoing manga... hmmm.
dry.gif

gdpetti said:
I see that Dreamworks is doing a live action version for release next year starring Scarlett Johansson, giving it the Hollywood treatment, which should look great, but it is just going to do the same original manga storyline... again! Sure fans will want to check it out, but still the same thing.. they really don't know what to do next... and I guess that's due to the mangaka author ... otherwise, I think he would have written a new one to take it to the next level... SMC development... but that's essentially after the transition... and most people won't survive, so the whole game changes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPvnQ2wDlI
just in case you haven't seen it yet, so glad the forum now has auto-embed :3... until i watch its film, i'll judge if a japanese actress would fit better as Motoko :p

Hmmm.... it looks good, all of the trailer looks good in all aspects BUT the main character, the Major, played by Scarlett J... she is just wrong for the part IMO of course... maybe viewers who haven't seen it will think differently, I thought she could do it given the last role she had that I saw... a remake of that brain drug called ? not sure, a womans' name? anyway.... the attitude is totally wrong for this part... she seems more like some woman just off the street, the determination isn't there, even in the original manga or the latter ones that utilized a different 'model' type of android... I've seen Scarlett J do this better, so is it the director?

Ok, Wikipedia... 'Lucy' was the film i was thinking of... after the drug took affect... that look of determination needed for a female action figure was there on her face, but from this trailer, it is not... maybe the rest of the film is different, but as an android, it should already be there... from the beginning, right? I'd have to chalk it up to the director... either way, her look is wrong... it isn't the Major... it's just some girl from the wrong department... being 'white' or whatever doesn't matter, as most of anime characters look 'white' anyway... even the Major is 'white' or whatever you want to call the look of anime characters.

Otherwise, it looks good, high tech, dark and mysterious etc... her look is wrong though... they really don't show any of the others... perhaps the director was going for the Neo look at the beginning of The Matrix... especially in the club full of leather clad tattoed people? He was the only one that looked out of place... maybe that's what the director was going for here? Maybe this trailer is a look at before she was put in that new body? before and the rest of the film is after? Either way, it looks disappointing from the Major character... and she is the main character.... not a good sign for the box office, IMO... maybe newbies wont' know the difference? as those reviewers "Reel Rejects" liked it, and they never saw the original works... not sure what to think of their opinion though on that point... given the status of this project over the years.

The trailer doesn't make me want to see it. The plotline looks like it encompasses a before and after, but mostly the usual storyline... just put on film for a Hollywood live action film.

gdpetti said:
Hmmm.... it looks good, all of the trailer looks good in all aspects BUT the main character, the Major, played by Scarlett J... she is just wrong for the part IMO of course... maybe viewers who haven't seen it will think differently, I thought she could do it given the last role she had that I saw... a remake of that brain drug called ? not sure, a womans' name? anyway.... the attitude is totally wrong for this part... she seems more like some woman just off the street, the determination isn't there, even in the original manga or the latter ones that utilized a different 'model' type of android... I've seen Scarlett J do this better, so is it the director?
According to interviews and statements, It was the director's dream to make a movie adaptation with an international cast and having Scarlet Johansen (Whom he believes to be the greatest actress of her time) to play as the main. Also, he adds that he has always wanted to make a more different style of Ghost in the shell, as He finds more fitting.

I for one, don't give a thing about this movie, I was already happy with Ghost in the shell: The New Movie in 2015

Although I do believe the majority of fans in Japan are pretty much... pissed off at this live-action.

Well, you've seen the preview, right? It looks great... only the ''greatest actress of her time" doesn't.... at least from what is shown in the preview... she isn't the character we know from either the manga or anime versions.... perhaps closer to the first manga version? As the look of the character was very 80s type, over the top comedy and not the dramatic version of the MC from all the animes that I've seen, especially the recent ones with a smaller/shorter figure... in the original manga, she's more like a supermodel with a comic buddy attitude, but that is very 80s, right? I'm not really into manga at all, but the mangaka changed her look in the next version... updating to a new model.. better color graphics etc, especially in the end...

With a preview looking that good, they need to re-edit it, if possible, as SJ looks like her "Lucy" character in it... the beginning version before the drug kicked in... and in that film, she was too old for that type of character IMO... didn't fit, but in that film, the drug kicks in and she changes with it.. but this preview doesn't show any change of character... an excuse would be that they are hoping for a sequel and are showing more of her character before.... but... when was she put in an adroid form? the original anime was a battlefield result wasn't it??? though later anime films seemed to imply she was that way as a young child, right?? She grew up in that facility according to that last film I think...

Anyway... there's nothing to hate in the preview except her look as the Major... not badass... not anything like the character in the manga/animes... from the preview... that's the problem.... hopefully for the studios sake, her character is only like that early on and not throughout, or ticket sales in Japan will stink... and the reviews will suck there...

But the rest of the preview looked good.... hopefully this director didn't F' it up by being in love with an actress he doesn't know? Either way, if possible, they should redo the preview or release another one to make us forget this one.

Well, it's more of a, you see what you get.
I read that they made Scarlet Johansen look more... Asian... with the help of CGI in the movie, which was supposedly shown in the trailer >.>

So... doubtful this is going to work out ^_^
On one hand, I agree with many critics that Major should really be played by an actual Asian person.
Many movie reboots lately of all types are doing the whole ''international'' mix, which honestly just does not seem to work.
It's like having Yin, from Yin & Yang, being played by Yang... Get the drift?

On the other hand... I don't mind giving it a chance. Although that is with other movies.
This one? Nope :mellow: Not even going to bother watching it. I'll stick to trailers (that spoils everything anyways) and trusted reviews.
What do I see as trusted? A review by a certain succubus fan of Ghost in the Shell that lives with me :p

gdpetti said:
that look of determination needed for a female action figure was there on her face, but from this trailer, it is not... maybe the rest of the film is different, but as an android, it should already be there... from the beginning, right? I'd have to chalk it up to the director... either way, her look is wrong... it isn't the Major... it's just some girl from the wrong department... being 'white' or whatever doesn't matter, as most of anime characters look 'white' anyway... even the Major is 'white' or whatever you want to call the look of anime characters.
Masich said:
According to interviews and statements, It was the director's dream to make a movie adaptation with an international cast and having Scarlet Johansen (Whom he believes to be the greatest actress of her time) to play as the main. Also, he adds that he has always wanted to make a more different style of Ghost in the shell, as He finds more fitting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Tlz8DKyNM
would be any better if filmed like, 10 years ago (Angelina Jolie / Mila Jovovich)... right after Oshii's 1st GItS movie (Jodie Foster / Sandra Bollock) or not at all?:lol:

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back