Ideas to improve download speed

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Dr. Twist

Kouhai
I know this is probably a pretty rude thing to say, especially since people getting free stuff can't be choosers, but the download speeds on episodes are just too slow now days.

I can frequently get these episodes faster with bit torrent.

Here's some things I think we definetly need:

Less episodes per series on the servers
Another server
More ads/sponsers or another way to earn more money to get more servers

Is there any chance of this stuff happening?

QUOTE (Dr. Twist @ Oct 1 2005, 10:37 AM) I know this is probably a pretty rude thing to say, especially since people getting free stuff can't be choosers, but the download speeds on episodes are just too slow now days.

I can frequently get these episodes faster with bit torrent.

Here's some things I think we definetly need:

Less episodes per series on the servers
Another server
More ads/sponsers or another way to earn more money to get more servers

Is there any chance of this stuff happening?
I think fansub.tv is doing a nice job at the moment...If you can get what you need through BitTorrent, why are you complaining about their servers?? Why not just use BitTorrent then?? Or, how about you pay for a third server?? I don't have the luxury of using BitTorrent behind my college's firewall. If I could, I definately would. Fansub.tv is my only means of getting fansubs, and I think they are providing great service to us considering its FREE.

All of the things that you suggested are all reasonable ideas. By cutting down on the selection, you can essentially allocate more bandwidth per download since there will probably be less people downloading. Another server is good too, but it requires a good amount of money and would probably only increase download speeds by a factor of two. Getting more revenue would be awesome but unless we start using popups or more intrusive forms of advertisements, it probably won't happen soon till an out-of-the-box solution is thought up.

Hopefully FPN will take care of our scalability issues, since it's designed to offload traffic from our own servers. This will increase the amount of possible bandwidth available for FansubTV by a magnitude of several orders and seems to be the best solution in the long run. Regular direct downloads MIGHT be faster, but who knows. The trend for content distribution is increasing speed = increasing users, and increasing users = decreasing speeds. It's unfortunately a cyclical process.

QUOTE (Chiba @ Oct 1 2005, 07:36 PM) I think fansub.tv is doing a nice job at the moment...If you can get what you need through BitTorrent, why are you complaining about their servers?? Why not just use BitTorrent then?? Or, how about you pay for a third server?? I don't have the luxury of using BitTorrent behind my college's firewall. If I could, I definately would. Fansub.tv is my only means of getting fansubs, and I think they are providing great service to us considering its FREE.
Same situation with the firewall thing, but he does make a point of Silk being really slow.

Especially with Sora gone now so it's back to one server. Sora came on the scene because everyone was complaining about the speeds, and at the time Sora came along and gave us fast speeds for a reasonable price and users who kept asking to be unbanned
tongue.gif
Sora went because it's been underperforming as of late from what I can gather. I haven't used fansub over the summer since I've been at home and able to use BT and IRC for my needs.

But like daft says he is working on a solution. But it remains to be seen whether or not this FPN can make it past a uni firewall,if not the suggustion Dr.Twist makes are perfectly valid (mainly because we reached these conclusions already).

I have a stupid question...What is FPN, and how would it work for the downloads here on fansub?

haha, I've seen my 56k download faster than this. But I'll see if it gets faster when its like 3-4am when no one's on.
(i'm nocterunal)

are you in the queue? i'm pretty sure most people aren't aware that there's a queue and think the downloads are just slow. maybe i should disable it and just make people wait like an hour or so before starting their downloads...

hehe, or better yet.. i should make it transfer 1 byte per second just to make sure the connection doesn't die and this way, people get a better sense of the fact that they're waiting in line.

i had no idea about the queue. most of the time i just use the bit torrent link when it comes out from the subber, but that idea about FnP would definitely be cool. Dling a show automatically if i understood the explaination right.

easy right? let's hope so. bring on the FPN

I'm glad fansub.tv is here for those of us who can't use BT. I can, but the speed, to quote "OMG, SLOWZ!!!!!!", is really appropriate. It's not that there arn't enough seeders, I see about 4-5 complete seeds out there, but no-one ever uploads to me. I see someone join, 40 + kbps, and theyr'e done in half an hour. I sit and sit and nothing.

I am glad that silk is working but could we maybe get download resuming on silk please.
Baring that, some other way to get episodes in less time than it takes to write commercial grade software? I sometimes have to wait for a day for an episode to finnish dl'ing. This is on DSL mind you. (OK, South Africa, but still)

QUOTE (Redshift 6 @ Oct 2 2005, 08:19 PM) I'm glad fansub.tv is here for those of us who can't use BT. I can, but the speed, to quote "OMG, SLOWZ!!!!!!", is really appropriate. It's not that there arn't enough seeders, I see about 4-5 complete seeds out there, but no-one ever uploads to me. I see someone join, 40 + kbps, and theyr'e done in half an hour. I sit and sit and nothing.

Are you uploading to them tho. If you aren't you don't really get anything in return >_>

sometimes, collio. not always. some of my friends upload as low as 5kb/s and they get alot of kb in return. it's just depends on what is there.

I sit and nothing. I get about 1.5 upload for every 1 I download. I upload more than download. Sure, I'll upload but only if I get something in return. As it is, I'm getting nothing while I can see 3 100% and a 55%. I don't understand it at all. That's why I prefer DD.

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ Oct 2 2005, 09:22 PM) sometimes, collio. not always. some of my friends upload as low as 5kb/s and they get alot of kb in return. it's just depends on what is there.
5kb/s is a lot in terms of people who download 3-4 torrents at a time with a torrent manager like azureus in my opinion.

QUOTE I sit and nothing. I get about 1.5 upload for every 1 I download. I upload more than download. Sure, I'll upload but only if I get something in return. As it is, I'm getting nothing while I can see 3 100% and a 55%. I don't understand it at all. That's why I prefer DD.

It depends on what your trying to download. But generally a healthy torrent would have seeders in double figures.

All I'm saying is that people who upload a decent amount like normal get good returns for it.

I've uploaded at my max upload just to download at round 20kb/s back. But then there are days like when naruto is just released and there are thousands of seeders which will easy max my downloads at 110kb/s.

i hope the server will open more slot...it tiring me since i use wireless connection at my Uni.....

I managed to get FMP 10 today. Not too shabby, but it could have been faster.
Discovered Azureus. Liked it a lot. Pretty GUI. As such, i'll be trying more BT in the future.

Incidentally, does anyone know why FMP TSR is always late on fansub.tv. It airs Fri, should be up on Sat. It's still not up (Monday night).

QUOTE (Redshift 6 @ Oct 3 2005, 09:17 PM) I managed to get FMP 10 today. Not too shabby, but it could have been faster.
Discovered Azureus. Liked it a lot. Pretty GUI. As such, i'll be trying more BT in the future.

Incidentally, does anyone know why FMP TSR is always late on fansub.tv. It airs Fri, should be up on Sat. It's still not up (Monday night).
Just has problems fetching...or maybe Daft is holding out for bakakozou's fansub
tongue.gif
, let it be the second one
ph34r.gif

redshift, the usual advice regarging bit torrent are the following:

- do you have the necessary port(s) open? azureus only needs one port open to work at full speed, most of the others need more than one port..
- are you limiting your uploads? you should keep your BT uploads at about 70% of your maximum upload speed for optimal results.

/jp

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back