FTVC: FpNv1 - a p2p idea

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

daft27

-nya
Retired
FpN stands for the Fansub.TV peer2peer Network. FpN will be a cross-platform limited p2p application written in Java that will, at one level, try to emulate the BitTorrent's ability to acquire and use upstream bandwidth of those downloading. If this application is successful, Fansub.TV's library of episodes will be available for almost real-time playback of videos for clients who can reach speeds of 150kb/s on downloads. That is the objective.

Because FpN uses FTVD (aka ftvhttpd) as one of its foundations, the FpN code will not be started until FTVD is in a stable and satisfactory state. The system will also combine elements from the planned ADS (anime delivery system) to allow auto-downloading of new episodes for series that you have subscribed to. No fees will be required because several parts of the FpN system will only be available if and only if you are able to contribute upstream bandwidth to the network (meaning you can't be using a proxy).

mooh... but the 'limited-to-ports-25,80,110,6667'-proxy _is_ the reason why im here
unsure.gif
i'm willing; just not able
anyway - is it meant as addition or replacement?

Real-time? Fantastic! That was one of the gripes I've had with this site, in that you couldn't merely watch it as it was downloading. I've never looked into it, so I never knew if it was something done server side, or if it was due to the encoding of the episode... However, if things go as you say, it would be awesome. Of course, the only other problem then is if I don't have the proper codecs to watch it using Quicktime (as opposed to VLC).
tongue.gif

~ SpacePirate

interesting setup, but i have the same question as roemern. although this setup significantly reduces FTV's cosntant server problems

it's meant to replace the current download method but will be more compatible with universities than bittorrent (you can still download, but you get less priority than those who are seeding/sharing).

QUOTE (daft27 @ Apr 23 2005, 12:06 AM) it's meant to replace the current download method but will be more compatible with universities than bittorrent (you can still download, but you get less priority than those who are seeding/sharing).
I think the Azureus bittorrent cilent is Java based and I can't download with that, the problem is I keep getting NAT errors from the uni firewall. Hope that helps in your programming
wink.gif

The FpN phase for Fansub.TV will arrive sometime in the near future. Code development has begun, but don't expect much to happen since I'm also working on two other projects atm. Some of the things I had hoped for may not be possible (real-time streaming of media) since the design has been changed quite a bit since I first thought it up.

One of the other projects is a possible money maker while the other one is a possible money sink.
sad.gif

The FpN phase for Fansub.TV will arrive sometime in the near future. Code development has begun, but don't expect much to happen since I'm also working on two other projects atm. Some of the things I had hoped for may not be possible (real-time streaming of media) since the design has been changed quite a bit since I first thought it up.

So, if I've got this right, this is supposed to be a combination of client/server and p2p architecture? About time somebody tried something like that. But yeah, that is pretty ambitious to try alone. Maybe someone around here knows some programming and would be willing to help.

I hope this will become available soon, and daft i don't know what you did but my downloads from Sora are going faster then ever
biggrin.gif

nope. There will be no application interface for this, since it will be controlled by the Fansub.TV website (more automation!). Of course, you can choose which animes/series you want to download or be subscribed with. If you've subscribed to a series, the client will pre-download it when it comes out and ready it for instant-downloading afterward the pre-download is complete. Note, this client design uses up a decent amount of harddrive space.

There's a slight possibility that there will be a revival of the swipe cards developed over 9 months ago... here's a sample of the original design below. These "swipe cards" will let the server know who you are so it knows what it should do.
swipesample_digicharat.jpg

This "swipe card" idea is just to accomodate for guests so they don't have to create an account on the site/forums. I'm not really sure how good of an idea that would be, since it only takes a few seconds to make one... hmm.. (think think think...)

Goal Launch Date: September 25th, 2005
The billing cycle for sora begins on the 27th and I'd like to cancel the server on the 25th or 26th.

-- here's a simple description of how the client works:
Client> connect to Fansub.TV and swipe card
rinse and repeat:
Server> instructs Client what episodes to download and where to get them from
Client> follows instructions then updates server with current status

Ok, let me get this straight....If we had the swipe card, we won't have to click around, or wait, just let the site download for itself onto our computers? No no, is it like an internet swipe card which has its own coding for itself so that it doesn't mix with others? god, i'm so confused...If we have a swipe card, does this mean fewer access and more control on who's downloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back