new queue systems

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

daft27

-nya
Retired
The new queue systems will replace the hourly bandwidth system and will soon be running on Silk. Instead of allowing downloads to go in bursts, it will trickle people into the servers. This way, you don't have to try to race and download as fast as you can... well, I suppose you'd still want to but now it's not done to the hour.

The FTP server might be disabled. Anyone have any objections to that?

i'd only be interested in it if it supported FXP.. i mentioned this a couple of times but i don't remember being told if it did or not, sorry =P

anyway, http only is fine with me, as long as Silk's speeds are decent!

/jp

The anime delivery service code will be able to support FXP transfers. I'll just use that code and have a part where you can manually request an episode. It's the automatic part of that service that you need to pay for.

daft, that's awesome!!! thanks a lot, that'll be great for me and whoever has a sucky ISP like i do (i'm only allowed 20GB of national transfers and 1GB (!!!!) of international transfers per month..)..

if it gives you too much work and i'm the only one requesting it don't bother, though -- i'm expecting to change ISPs soon, and that'll take care of my need for FXP..

thanks a lot, anyway!
/jp

QUOTE (daft27 @ Jan 26 2005, 01:32 PM) The new queue systems will replace the hourly bandwidth system and will soon be running on Silk. Instead of allowing downloads to go in bursts, it will trickle people into the servers. This way, you don't have to try to race and download as fast as you can... well, I suppose you'd still want to but now it's not done to the hour.

The FTP server might be disabled. Anyone have any objections to that?
So abit like an IRC download queue then?

QUOTE (darkdog @ Jan 27 2005, 07:09 AM) daft, that's awesome!!! thanks a lot, that'll be great for me and whoever has a sucky ISP like i do (i'm only allowed 20GB of national transfers and 1GB (!!!!) of international transfers per month..)..
Ouch. I downloaded 2.47 GB last night alone... What ISP are you using?

netcabo -- the most famous cable isp available.

random facts about portuguese ISPs:
- awfully low transfer limits, specially on the ISPs that make a distinction between national and international stuff (we had to do p2p apps that block foreign people cuz of that
tongue.gif
)
- traffic over the limit is very expensive ($2 per 100MB in my case)
- awfully low upload speeds (128kbps in my case, i haven't seen over 256kbps on any home user-directed connection)
- expensive for what you get (i pay 37e, +- $45/month)

Besides there's only one alternative, and it's not available everywhere (not even close to that).. fortunately it's supposed to be available here in like a month.. 4Mbps down, 256Kbps up, 25GB of transfers (of any kind) per month, 37e (i think) as well.. much better!!

/jp

Holy Moly!

Here in Australia I use Bigpond... I get unlimited usage, but if I go over 50GB or something it gets slowed to 56k.

Yeah, I get 3000/256 Kbps. I really wish they'd offer 512 up for cheaper, I usually only get 24KB/s upload (192 kbps). But hey, I really can't complain. As I recall it's $80 for digital cable and cable internet.

Quite a few of the Aussies I know use Bigpond.

~ SP

Cool. We actually save because we have Bigpond/Telstra/Foxtel (same company, or affiliated in some way) as Internet, Home Phone, Mobile Phone and Digital TV. I think we save 40% of the overall cost, which can really help sometimes, because we end up only paying like, half price.

No comaplints here... I like the layout of this site more than anything else... I also like the atmospehere, it's a bit laid-back. I do use the ftp more than http but I got nothing against a little change. :)

Well, once the foundation is laid, working up from there is pretty easy. I downloaded a basic open source ftp server and reworked it to my likings. The same was done with the http server.

I dunno, maybe a day or so for the ftp server. The http server took longer since it was a bit more complicated.

Looks like I'll be working on the queue system tomorrow. The current system isn't handling our needs well and the 9gb or so of controlled transfer disappears in under 10 minutes.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back