Mafia - Game 1

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos
Retired
So, to begin, I guess I'll describe what exactly Mafia is...
QUOTE Mafia (also known as Werewolf, Assassin or Witch Hunt) is a party game created in USSR by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986 modeling a battle between an informed minority and an uninformed majority. Players are secretly assigned roles: either "mafia", who know each other; or "townspeople", who know only the number of mafia amongst them. In the game's "night" phase the mafia covertly 'murder' a townsperson. During the day phase, all of the surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumber the townspeople.

Now, to get more precise, there are multiple roles:
  • God (the narrator)
  • Townspeople
  • Mafia (who win by killing townspeople)
  • Sheriff (a townsperson who can detect mafia under certain conditions)
  • Doctor (a townsperson who can "save" other players)
  • Therapist (a townsperson who can "silence" other players)
There are two cycles of play: Day and Night
Night
Night begins with 'God' telling everyone that it is nighttime and everyone has gone to sleep.
'God' then has the Mafia wake up and select one other player to murder. All members of the Mafia must agree on a single player. 'God' then has the Mafia go back to sleep.
'God' has the Sheriff wake up and select any player to be a suspect. 'God' then confirms if the suspect is Mafia or not, and has the Sheriff go back to sleep.
'God' then wakes up the Doctor and the Doctor selects any one player who (s)he wishes to protect.
'God' then wakes up the Therapist and the Therapist selects any one player who (s)he wishes to silence.

Day
'God' tells everyone to wake up. Unless the Doctor and the mafia selected the same target a murder is announced, sometimes with a little narrative detail (This player is dead and cannot participate in the game any further, their Role is NOT revealed).
During the daytime phase, all players deliberate over which suspected Mafia member they wish to nominate for execution. Once nominations are made, 'God' administrates an election between the nominees, in which all players vote. Whoever receives the most votes is executed (they are dead and cannot participate in the game any further). 'God' then reveals what Role this player played.

Win Condition
The game ends when either all the Mafia is killed (townspeople win) or when the Mafia outnumber the townspeople (Mafia win).

The thing is, no one knows who any other player's Role is except for Mafia (who only know who other Mafia members are). So even though the Sheriff might find out who a Mafia member is, they have to convince all the other players that they are in fact the Sheriff. Further, the Mafia may pretend to be a Sheriff! This becomes even worse if the Mafia kill the Sheriff in the night - in which case no one knows that the dead person was the Sheriff and the Mafia have free reign =P

So yeah, when played in a forum, things get changed up a bit. Basically, everything done in the 'Night' cycle is done via PM to the 'God'. Everything during the Day is done via forum posts in this thread. A full day/night cycle can take either one or two real days (one full day for 'Day' and one full day for 'Night'). And to be able to play well, every player must be active every day!
So!
I'm looking for at least 9 players to play this game (excluding myself). I will act as the 'God' Role and, once we get enough players, I will randomly assign the other Roles to everyone else. I suggest we play on the two day cycle (one day will be 'Daytime' and the next day will be 'Night time') to give everyone a chance to do everything that needs to be done. We can work out exact details once we find out how many players we have (or if there are even enough volunteers).

So, please post if you would like to join in this fun little game or if you have any questions!

Oh I've heard of this game before, and I've played it with a group of people before. Although I'm not sure how the whole thing doing it on the forums will work, but heck I'll try anything at least once. There's also one version that uses Lovecraft's famous creature as well, but that's something else entirley though.
tongue.gif

The game sounds kind of interesting and since I have never played this game before I maybe a bit slow in certain areas but I am willing to learn and most importantly, am willing to give this a shot. I just hope we can get enough members involved to get this game off the ground.

I"ve played it before but not in a forum version. And I think forums are superior for this especially fansub since we have so many intellectual members here
tongue.gif
I'm in.

I will try pm'ing a few people on FTV about this game. It will be a bit of an uphill battle to get nine members with this thread alone, so I would encourage all posters in this thread to send private messages to others about joining this game. If we have too many people joining then we can always make arrangements/allowances for that, but if we can't get nine people this ain't going to work. So I encourage other users to spread the word!

Sure I'll play, I just have to read the rules over again when I'm less sleepy
tongue.gif

got your PM...wouldn't mind giving it a shot but daily activity might be a problem for me. Seeing as the player count is more of an issue right now, I think that's probably the least of the worries.

You can play the game with much more than 9 members (just have to adjust how many of each type of player there is and possibly add in a couple of the 'optional' roles), so don't worry about getting too many =P
That said, we DO need a minimum of 9 members for it to be at all interesting.
@Wedora: Daily activity may not be absolutely necessary depending on your role (for example, if you're a townsperson, you wont be doing anything during the days we are in the 'night' cycle) but regular activity will be necessary. That said, there is no way to know what role you'll be given so...

So far I've gotten 5-6 people interested in going. That means we need at least 3 more. Keep spreading the word!

Don't worry about me I'm keeping an eye on this until we start doing things.
wink.gif

It doesn't seem like this is gonna get off the ground...
I'm gonna give it until the end of the weekend and then I'm closing this up. Any longer and, while we may get new people wanting to join in, we'll also be losing others who can't participate any more...

Hmm seems interesting I may join in!! but the problem is I'll be out of town this weekend and Im not sure the Hotel Im staying in has Wifi so Its a 50-50.

Alright, with Warita and Lavender in, we'd have enough players.

Players (8):
Kid-Wolf
Monsta666
Nioki
Julezia
Wedora
Maiku Ando
Warita200
lavenderdays

The above listed members, please post back as soon as possible to confirm your participation and also what the first day you can begin playing on is (this goes for lavenderdays in particular due to the hotel situation).
Keep an eye on this thread, I'll be announcing the start of the game once all confirmations are in.

(PMs have been sent to all listed members)

If anyone else is interested and hasn't said anything yet, now's your last chance!

Yes I can still play, and it doesn't really matter when we start- except I'm usually busy on weekends. I can still find time to come online for a few mins though.

I confirm it, I'll even say it in red truth It is possible for me to play this game, because so far I confirmed Wifi access in the hotel Im gonna stay

PS: Saturday Afternoon-Night (GMT+ 8:00)

Sorry about the slow response!!!
tongue.gif
But I confirm I will be able to play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back