Eureka Seven AO

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

senpai-kun

-nakama
Retired
eurekasevenao.jpg

Title: Eureka Seven AO; Eureka Seven Astral Ocean
Date Aired: Apr 12, 2012
Producers: Bones
Director: Tomoki Kyoda
Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Mecha, Sci-Fi
Episodes: Unknown but at least 12 confirmed

Synopsis: The story is set on Okinawa's isolated island of Iwado, which has seen a growing movement advocating a return to an autonomous government. Ao Fukai, a 13-year-old boy with a missing father, lives on the island with an old doctor named Toshio and is about to enter middle school. Ao's mother was taken away a decade ago by unknown individuals. Naru Arata, Ao's 13-year-old childhood friend and the story's heroine, lives with her father, older sister, and grandmother. She has a "Yuta" power awakened within her due to an incident when she was young.

A mysterious entity called "Secret" suddenly appears and launches an attack on the Scub Coral lifeform on the island. Ao launches a certain military FP called "Nirvash" aboard a Japanese military transport in his fervent desire to protect the island.

(Source: ANN, MAL)

My Thoughts:
This is not a direct sequel (in the truest sense of the word) to the original Eureka Seven series based on Renton and Eureka. So knowing that piece of information going in I'm not expecting this series to reach the same level. For me that series told a phenomenal story with an excellent combination of drama, comedy, and intrigue throughout; it earned a spot in my top ten anime of all time. For me that will be difficult to duplicate especially if this is going to be a shorter series. But being a Eureka Seven fan I've got my fingers crossed and am hoping this one doesn't shame its counterpart.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Apr 07 2012, 07:28 PM)This is not a direct sequel (in the truest sense of the word) to the original Eureka Seven series based on Renton and Eureka. So knowing that piece of information going in I'm not expecting this series to reach the same level. For me that series told a phenomenal story with an excellent combination of drama, comedy, and intrigue throughout; it earned a spot in my top ten anime of all time. For me that will be difficult to duplicate especially if this is going to be a shorter series. But being a Eureka Seven fan I've got my fingers crossed and am hoping this one doesn't shame its counterpart.

I was waiting for a new Eureka Seven TV series since I really liked Psalms of Planets from 2005 to 2006 giving it 9/10, last month an PoPE7 special was released but it's not been subbed yet just like the Fate/Zero and Kaiji S2 recap episodes so I guess no fansub group will bother translating it -.- ...well I'm done watching the first ep of Astral Ocean and I'm not that convinced with the new characters but the plot is getting interesting, I'm glad studio Bones kept a similar style and feeling as the previous series along the music and the trademark surfer mechas to be continued (つづく tsuzuku!) ^^

in the beginning I though Naru could be the daughter of Talho and Holland telling by her looks and outfit but that possibility disappeared after seeing her with her family for a picture shooting, also that would be too much of a coincidence because Ao is the son of Eureka and Renton (having his face, her pink eyes and green hair)... anyway my expectation for this new one is low taking in consideration the 2009 remake movie Pocket ga Niji de Ippai, or "pocket (monsters ¬¬) full of rainbows" left a lot to desire compared to the original story so I'll give AO as prelim 7/10

hmm this is getting more followups? maybe I should see the original, haaah. Is it any good?
smile.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 12 2012, 10:01 PM)in the beginning I though Naru could be the daughter of Talho and Holland telling by her looks and outfit but that possibility disappeared after seeing her with her family for a picture shooting, also that would be too much of a coincidence because Ao is the son of Eureka and Renton (having his face, her pink eyes and green hair)...
I was thinking somewhere along these lines as well until this first episode. Though I was somewhat surprised by Ao's appearance in this first eppy because all the promo pics that I saw had him with green hair just like Eureka starting out. So when I saw his black hair I was like wait WTF is going on here
blink.gif
but as we saw that flashback/vision it looked like the women he called mama might have indeed been Eureka. I would say he does look very similar to a young Renton as well. I guess we can expect Ao to undergo some type of outward physical appearance change at some point.

aowithoutgreenhair.png

The first episode didn't start off with quite the bang as Psalms of Planets or it didn't have the same impact IMO. Maybe because I thought the LFO flying sequences were pretty awesome then although I noticed now they're referred to as IFO's in this series. I liked what I saw so far from Ao and Naru as the main lead characters and am interested in what ability or power it is that Naru possesses. So I would say it was a decent start and I would expect much more along the way of story progression in the next episode. It's likely that Ao will be piloting the Nirvash the next episode because that bracelet like device he got lit up and read Eureka Ao -- similar to the Amita Drive (if I remember correctly) in the first series that Renton had.

QUOTE (wceend @ Apr 13 2012, 08:42 AM)hmm this is getting more followups? maybe I should see the original, haaah. Is it any good?
I'm not for sure what your specific tastes are wceend but if you enjoy sci-fi or just simply a great story-telling experience this comes highly recommended from me. The story continues to just get deeper and better as the series progress, (50 episodes) you really start to embrace the characters as they literally have the fate of the world in their hands, and the music was top notch.

sad.gif
this anime stinks of DTB2 smell and we all know how good that ended.
they pretty much trying to totally discard E7 and make up something new using E7 universe twisting everything mercilessly into mess.

nothing makes sense, structure technology, politics everything seems to resemble E7 yet be totally altered without logic.
well as I'm huge E7 fan I'm furious to see where this so called sequel is going.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Apr 13 2012, 10:14 AM)It's likely that Ao will be piloting the Nirvash the next episode because that bracelet like device he got lit up and read Eureka Ao -- similar to the Amita Drive (if I remember correctly) in the first series that Renton had.
episode 2 turned out more interesting with Ao helping the smugglers (and viceversa) to get the supposed FP and fought the G-monster to protect the island, no surprise one of them reminds me to Holland but this time it seems he'll be not one of the pilots... as Fleur and Elena mentioned the first IFO called "Mark I" couldn't be used anymore I believe Eureka piloted it before (also it resembles the LFO Nirvash), while Ao is escaping from the SDF and Naru is with him most likely they will end joining Generation Bleu in the next eps just like Renton joined Gekko State in Psalms of Planets

QUOTE (bloody-mess @ Apr 14 2012, 08:18 AM)this anime stinks of DTB2 smell and we all know how good that ended.
they pretty much trying to totally discard E7 and make up something new using E7 universe twisting everything mercilessly into mess.

nothing makes sense, structure technology, politics everything seems to resemble E7 yet be totally altered without logic.
well as I'm huge E7 fan I'm furious to see where this so called sequel is going.
even with low expectations is too soon to judge so harshly this second series based only from watching the first two episodes, I give it some credit for introducing a different story with new characters many years later instead of going with the same ones from PoP as some kind of reboot or remake just like *shivers* that E7 movie:

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 13 2012, 06:49 AM)No, no, I'm confident it's because someone on the team was a big Elvis fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELaILNtgIGk
lol didn't know that (pocketful instead of "pocket full") though I couldn't be that sure with the translation from the japanese title but it was licensed and renamed in english as "Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers" o_O (no I'm not kidding) ...erm what I mean are the pokemons with cute voices that "evolved" into the mechas named as the ones we know from the original series, after seeing that movie I was afraid the E7 franchise wouldn't continue anymore (like happened with Escaflowne) and these pics say it all -.-
e7movie-beginning.jpg
ff8b23dfe6fed8bb189e272e758370b1dad31496.jpg

Ok, so two eps down it's too early to say anything, and it's relatively good, but as usual I do have my nitpicks. For now, there's two:

1. The setup is just too much like a typical mecha show. Young boy finds mecha and magically becomes an ace from the first ride. We also have a girl who will no doubt be the object of a romance subplot (and even tragic loss if they decide to go Gundam-esque). And Ao's already starting to show emo tendencies as of ep. 2, which means that we're likely getting the mandatory mental breakdown sometime later. All this is just a bit too formulaic, and for the sake of the show I hope that they break from such a setup. S1 was a lot more "fresh" in this regard.

2. I'm kinda disappointed by the relative lack of progress in animation quality. Sure, it's only been 6-7 years, so it's the same generation, but S1 was one of the prettiest shows of the time. S2 still looks great, but sadly nowhere on the level of today's prettiest shows.

Ta-dan~

Just found out about this, I saw this on someone's current Top 10 anime series airing list. I had no idea, shows how disconnected I've been with the anime world. Ao, seems to be the son of Eureka and Renton, I actually very much love this idea as your happy to know the original E7 pair were successful in their love in the long-run and leads to the possibility of seeing what happened to other members of the original E7 who survived and if they have new families and what not. I'm giddy about watching this series. I watched the original E7 a long time ago whilst it was airing and never had the chance of watching the E7 movie. So, I'm thinking of doing a E7 marathon during the summer as I have too many exams to prepare for at the moment.
rolleyes.gif

This look cool, I am a big fan of the original, and I think I will give this a try!!!

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 21 2012, 10:54 PM) Ok, so two eps down it's too early to say anything, and it's relatively good, but as usual I do have my nitpicks. For now, there's two:

1. The setup is just too much like a typical mecha show. Young boy finds mecha and magically becomes an ace from the first ride. We also have a girl who will no doubt be the object of a romance subplot (and even tragic loss if they decide to go Gundam-esque). And Ao's already starting to show emo tendencies as of ep. 2, which means that we're likely getting the mandatory mental breakdown sometime later. All this is just a bit too formulaic, and for the sake of the show I hope that they break from such a setup. S1 was a lot more "fresh" in this regard.

2. I'm kinda disappointed by the relative lack of progress in animation quality. Sure, it's only been 6-7 years, so it's the same generation, but S1 was one of the prettiest shows of the time. S2 still looks great, but sadly nowhere on the level of today's prettiest shows.

Ta-dan~
I'd actually dislike if they change the animation style to much... though maybe the fluidity could be improved. Aside from that I'm enjoying the show. Sure it doesnt have all that insta action we had in the first Eureka 7, but hey, we don't have crybaby Renton getting on my nerves
dry.gif

Two things I am missing are all the trapar related things and the cute class Coralians XD

The 'Secrets' look kinda boring compared to all the Coralians T_T

Pretty nice series until now. Ao is getting somewhat better since he ain't a crybaby anymore. Still he needs to get a bit tougher. I wonder what is going to happen to Naru. She is set to be more important but for now the writers seems to focus on showing what Ao and Nirvash are capable off. One weak thing may be the sudden crush act
dry.gif
Getting caught while falling and suddenly having a crush felt weak for this series.

Hi everybody am a new comer on this site ! I like very much eureka seven series; I'd like to lnow how many seasons this manga got ? Thanks !
wink.gif

QUOTE (angelkim11 @ May 17 2012, 04:07 PM) Hi everybody am a new comer on this site ! I like very much eureka seven series; I'd like to lnow how many seasons this manga got ? Thanks !
wink.gif

Hey there angelkim, are you asking about the anime (cartoon) or the manga (comic)?
If its the anime then there is only one complete season, a movie, and a currently airing new season.
For the manga there are only the original Eureka 7 manga and a still being published Eureka 7 AO manga. Not sure about the volume/chapter count for either though.

at last the villain of this sequel seen in the opening makes his/her/its debut wrecking havok in other countries and is about to infiltrate inside Generation Bleu HQ in the next episode, telling by the flashbacks Truth seems to recognize the Nirvash and most likely remembers its former pilot Eureka so by the eyes of that nutty metamorph I guess is another coralian or a humanoid Secret... talking about coralians I wonder if Anemone is going to appear at all or what happened to her human partner Dominic, those two were considered as a couple of antagonists in the original series until they sided with Eureka and Renton in the final episodes but who knows if something similar will happen with Truth after knowing Ao better
unsure.gif

This series just got a lot better. Truth is a very interesting character with his strange ways. The only thing true to him seems to his desire to find the truth. But what is he seeking the truth about?
Naru feels stupid however. Why would she just go with him? I thought she liked Ao so she should be able to tell that this would hurt Ao. Sure she can fly and breathe normally (so it seems) but to just go with someone strange feels dumb.
How were Ao and Truth both be able to be at two places? That is one strange power...

A pretty disappointing episode. It was somewhat weak to hear about Ao and Fleur hating their dads. The only purpose to this episode feels to be to increase the friendship between the two. Having the president as a sort of good guy in the end maybe the second thing but still this episode did nothing about Truth which was the best feature in the previous episode.

I actually watched the first 8 episodes of the this series earlier this week and I was meant to write a post/review on how the series draws vague similarities with EVA such as the secrets being somewhat "similar" to the Angels in EVA and how this new series is actually pretty good but not as great as the original E7.....but now I rather comment on the episode I just watched.

There are several things going good for this series particularly the character of Truth and the mystery behind his agenda. I know that Truth participation in episode 09 wasn't that great but the thing he did with destroying the car at the end of the episode was pretty cool but probably not as great as his invasion into Generation Blue, in which kept changing his body until he finally stuck with one, which is current form. Another interesting thing is that he calls Ao's Mark I/Nirvash his Nirvash.

My reasons why I think this series isn't as great as the original Eureka Seven, first thing is the music, the OP, ED and general soundtrack of Eureka Seven were one of the best of that decade and E7 Ao's musical choice does not even come close plus I hate it when Ao says "To be continued" at the end of each episode.....it's annoying.

The original Eureka Seven was addictive and intense.....I'm not really feeling that with the sequel series. Also, I really loved the "sporty" aspect of the original Eureka Seven, whereas, E7 Ao is more like a cheap rip-off of series like EVA and Bounen no Xamdou. I wish BONES kept that aspect of "sportiness" within this series.

However, I'm keeping in tune with this series because I want to see what happened to Eureka and Renton....what has become of Renton???

I was planning on re-watching the original Eureka Seven before starting to watch this series but I caved in because of my curiosity. Probably not the greatest of ideas but I don't think I've forgotten much about the original E7 (or have I?) but the stupidest thing is that I've never actually watched the E7 movie, which is suppose to the continue from where the original series left off. I might just re-watch E7 Ao once I've re-watched the original series in the summer.

The funny thing about the original Eureka Seven is that I watched the series before joining this forum and I remember asking why this forum didn't have a thread for E7 or something like that, it probably did but I probably couldn't find it at the time....this was like 6 years ago.
laugh.gif

EDIT #1:

The original Nirvash was so much cooler looking than the one used in E7 Ao.

Truth is back and that sure was good. He makes it a lot more interesting as he really follows his own plan with or without help.
The rest of the episode wasn't as strong however. A bit of fanservice from Fleur with Ao acting all hyper again to help save people. Nothing really that we didn't see in previous episodes. Hopefully we get to see Truth's plan and a bit more of the main story in the next episode.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 09 2012, 01:40 AM)My reasons why I think this series isn't as great as the original Eureka Seven, first thing is the music, the OP, ED and general soundtrack of Eureka Seven were one of the best of that decade and E7 Ao's musical choice does not even come close plus I hate it when Ao says "To be continued" at the end of each episode.....it's annoying.

However, I'm keeping in tune with this series because I want to see what happened to Eureka and Renton....what has become of Renton???

I was planning on re-watching the original Eureka Seven before starting to watch this series but I caved in because of my curiosity. Probably not the greatest of ideas but I don't think I've forgotten much about the original E7 (or have I?) but the stupidest thing is that I've never actually watched the E7 movie, which is suppose to the continue from where the original series left off. I might just re-watch E7 Ao once I've re-watched the original series in the summer.I'm interested to know what's going on with the other good old characters too and why Ao hates his father but actually I remember Renton said *tsuzuku!* (and Eureka sometimes) before every ED of the original series, I agree that Ao's repetitive つづく annoys and this sequel is still far from how great PoP was but don't expect much of the movie as I mentioned above or if you plan to watch all E7 again you can check its recently subbed recap ep.51... about the previous episodes I wonder what Truth did with Naru who probably is flying (or hiding) somewhere while her relatives search around, as Ranzer already pointed what this series needs is that refreshing sporty feeling of its predecesor because the way how Generation Bleu strategically deals with those Secrets ala Evangelion is getting stale
dry.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back