PC Help

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Angel453455

-san
Kouhai
man can you please help me and tell me how do you reformat please?

also can anyone suggest what computer parts are really nice to make a good pc? please don't just choose the expesive ones just becuase thats the best... kinda suggest parts that can be achieved by a highschooler...
dry.gif

thanks.
tongue.gif
anyway for a specific com part i need... what is a good video card?

QUOTE (Angel453455 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:24 PM)also can anyone suggest what computer parts are really nice to make a good pc? There are lots of nice parts! But more expensive is not always better. It all depends on what you are doing with the machine and what are your needs!

Are you looking for a brand new machine or simply to upgrade some parts? If you want upgrade ideas, we really need to know what you have right now (and I mean details as in technical details, not the Ghz and the amount of ram). Because everything is not compatible. And when a computer part does not fit, better not use a hammer. Even if you succed in driving it in, it probably won't work
wink.gif

--

As for the reformat. The big steps are
1- Backup every data from your PC
2- boot the pc with windows CD in the drive
3- install windows
4- configure windows
5- install all your applications
6- restore your backup

For the details, I would suggest google or specific questions. Because it is a rather WIDE subject!

do i need an original windows cd for it to work?
also looking for a brand new pc...
biggrin.gif
but i want to construct it myself because sometimes the promo pcs kinda suck...
tongue.gif
at least i really know my pc and also i is kinda cheap than buying a well made pc or more nice than a promo pc.
wink.gif

kinda tell me wat is good... (also please take note... aiming for a dual core pc.
wink.gif
)

[MODERATOR's NOTE: You need a lisence for the CD you are using. The lisence will provide you with a CD-Key. If you do not have a kisence, it is piracy.]

//Edit
Yes that is so. It the key you buy, not the cd. Thus you dont need the original cd as long as you have the original key(that goes with that unique cd that you bought). CD get damage quite easily, thus making a backup is not a bad idea. My old win 98 cd got pretty scarched after a while, luckly i had a backup.

I agree, looking for top of the range parts is not a good idea, look for the parts with the best price/performance ratio. It will also help if you tell us what you want the pc for, a pc thts used just for watching some anime and playing the odd game will be much diffrent than a powerhouse thats needed to run FEAR/UT2007(when it comes out).

In the graphix card department Ill say look for a Geforce 6600 GT, its a good midrange card.
Duel-core? Good idea, if you can buy it go for it.

To reformat, put your XP CD in the tray and reboot. At boot press delete or whatever it says to enter bios/setup.
There find the boot order, it probably says floppy, hdd, cd-rom now or hdd, cd-rom.

It must say cd-rom then hdd. Leaving hdd out will cause your pc to not boot without a cd!!!! (not wanted)

Then save and exit.

The pc will reboot ant will start to boot, at some point it will say "press any key to boot from cd-rom", press any key.
Windows will start it's installer and just go through with it. Don't repair, and delete the partition that you're working on. Create a new one of any size,maybe make two and format each if you can, otherwise just the first. After install, you can format the other from windows using control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> Storage -> disk management.

Et voila.

For parts, I suggest a fx5200 graphics card, they are cheap now and decent enough for windows and older games. CPU, buy AMD by default. They are better than intel and don't require a massive heatsink+fan combo. About 512 Ram should suffice and 80+ gigs will be fine. Mobo, case + PSU, cd/dvd rom/dvd-r etc.. are your choice. Normally the retailer will sell you one that works best.

For a gaming PC, upgrade the CPU, Graphics card, motherboard and RAM for performance.
For anime, get a couple 200Gig HDDs.(If you like to keep it forever.) And a DVD burner.

Post more if you still need help. And either memorise this , have it on another computer or print it for formating.

<Dual core is going to cost you more than you can afford on a "high school" budget, disregard that>

I wont go for the FX 5200, rather get a Radeon 9600XT, not much more expensive.

Tell us what you budget it, it will help a lot.

But building and fixing your own PC is a good idea. it will safe you lots money on the long run. If I had to take in my pc each time something goes wrong, I would have been broke now(and my pc would be at the repair shop more than it would be at my house)

ah okay... anyway can ya still gimme an estimate cost of a dual core motherboard? any how the thing why i want a dual core pc is that at least i'll have a fast pc... and it would take in a way a lot of time to make 1 processor with the speed of 2 so it will be quiet long before that pc needs to be trashed.
wink.gif

also a pc that could play anime is fine... but really want to great games before and in the future... so i think to achieve those requirements... what do i need?
tongue.gif
thanks all for the help!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Ok this prices I took out of my pricelist, its only there to give you an idea. I dont know what it will cost in your country. but an AMD X2 3800+(slowest duel core) is about R3000, thus in US$ youre looking at about $450(that is just for the cpu) a motherboard is another R800($120)
(I converted all the prices from our currency)
But ask for pricelist at you dealer, and then you can take it from there.

can yah tell me a good dual core? i much prefere to know something which i could keep for a long time.
wink.gif
so please kindly post that one... also how fast it is please.
tongue.gif
thanks man!
tongue.gif

also i can't ask my dealer about it...
dry.gif
almost all the stores i went were only telling my that they only have intel celeron...
dry.gif

also what is much better... intel or athlon? really struggling with it... cause based on speed as i know intel leads but people are telling me that athlons overall preformace especially in games with i like is better than intel...

so is it a good idea to get athlon? also i really don't get how fast athlons cpu are... they always have the 3000+ things which when i i thought before was the speed of the processor... but after i went to a more indepth "research" wanting how fast is athlon fx-57... can yah also tell me i still don't know but i saw the processors like athlon
3200+ was about 2.4 ghz.... so can anyone clarify athlon for me please...
tongue.gif

sorry that i don't know a lot of athlon... been using intel and before was better than athlon... but now i think things change.
wink.gif

QUOTE also what is much better... intel or athlon? really struggling with it... cause based on speed as i know intel leads but people are telling me that athlons overall preformace especially in games with i like is better than intel...
thats true in overall preformance athlon processors do better in gaming but thats only when u combine it with a good graphics card such as a geforce7800 or something like that.
sorry i dont know what speeds are athlon processors due to i dont like the clock speeds of the processors and i never ever looked into them.

QUOTE In the graphix card department Ill say look for a Geforce 6600 GT, its a good midrange card.
Duel-core? Good idea, if you can buy it go for it.
same here i agree the Geforce 6600 GT is a better card to get its just around $200 down here its good value for money and a pretty good performer.

thanks man!
biggrin.gif
now just waiting what price is a decent dual-core pc...
dry.gif
please again fill me in with a DECENT one... the processors and motherboard..
happy.gif
thanks.
smile.gif
i was also thinking of a GeForce 6600... cause here it is about $130-$180... 256mb so i think it is a good price...
wink.gif

QUOTE (Angel453455 @ Feb 27 2006, 01:21 AM)also what is much better... intel or athlon? really struggling with it... cause based on speed as i know intel leads but people are telling me that athlons overall preformace especially in games with i like is better than intel... Like most things in computer its a lot more complex than simple clock speed. Clock speed (saying its a 2.3Ghz CPU) is actually quite meaningless unless you compare 2 processor of the same model AND revision. (for instance, all pentium4 are not the same, there is about 4 revision out there)

Personnally, I have been an intel person because of the overall quality of their cpu and motherboard. That is, up until now! Their new generation of pentiumD really solved the power issues (unlike pentium 4 they don't dissipate over 70 watts!! and they don't act as a heater as in your room) But the performance of the pentiumD is really terrible compared to what a dual core could do. Personnaly, if I was working at intel, I would be ashame of such processors. So I would, recommand going with a AMD dual core. It is a great value if you want a machine will last long.

Here is a review to help you compare, but I don't base my judgement on this information alone. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=lnav

Of all things, stay away from the Celeron. Those are buy and kick out the windows processors
wink.gif

You will also need some RAM. Make sure it is DDR2 (with a dual core system, it should be) and 1Gb is an absolute minimum. Check how much it is for 2Gb. Also remember to buy them in a configuration that will let you add more memory later. For example, if you have 4 memory slots for a maximum of 2 Gb of memory, don't buy 2 x 512 unless the 2x 512 are a lot cheaper than the 1x 1Gb. Because if you want to upgrae the memory in a few years, you will need to throw out the old memory, always a waste
biggrin.gif

As for the graphic card, that is the biggest debate. It is EXEMELY hard to compare graphic cards. There is nearly no specification available on most models. Ad what they tell you is really only surface information. I tend to prefer ATI cards, but I would say that Nvidia are of equal quality. It is simply that Nvidia is american while ATI is canadian. When given the choice, I prefer to buy local
biggrin.gif

Check the availability of he cards at your local reseller first, because there is no point in recommanding something if you can't get it.

thanks bold.
biggrin.gif
also here is another concern...
dry.gif
wat does hyper threading or hyper transport do? is it similar to a dual core? cause when i read pcs with HT it shows like 2 processors like when you press "win + break" it shows "intel pentium IV processor 2.3 ghz, 2.3 ghz" what is this?
biggrin.gif

also just read the site...
biggrin.gif
man so the fastest of AMD is about $603 to $803 based on that site...
dry.gif
and thats only the processors?
blink.gif
so i have to pay for the motherboard and the rest of the stuff?
blink.gif

also as see there... i think the get values are the Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and Athlon 64 X2 4600+ which values $467 to $507, and $643 respectively based on that site...

anyway i think no one would really buy something like that...
tongue.gif
but i wish.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

QUOTE (Angel453455 @ Feb 28 2006, 06:49 AM)wat does hyper threading or hyper transport do? is it similar to a dual core? With a dual core, there are actually 2 complete processors in a single chip. It is simply that they come in the same package.

HT is an intel technology to allow 2 thread to use seperate parts of the processor at the same time and to minimized context switching. (now for the explanation
wink.gif
) A thread is an autonaumous part of a program. In windows, at any given time, you got close to a 100 of those running in parallel. A processor is not one big block. There are many parts. For example, one part does math addition/substraction. Another does multiplication of floating points (like 2.0235 * 1.0211). It is rare for a single thread to use all of those parts at the same time. So HT allows for 2 thread to use 2 DIFFERENT part of the processor. If they both want the same part, one is going to have to wait.

You could see HT as the little brother of dual core. Its a really interesting technology found in the P4 and PentiumD. If you go for a P4, make sure it got HT, because it means you got a 800MHz FSB. If go for the PentiumD, forget about HT. They priced that thing so high that it is completely rediculous to pay for it!

Hyper transsport is an AMD technology and got NOTHING to do with hyperthreading. It is a technology to basicly make the processor "talk" faster to the memory. As far as I know, all AMD system have that now.

QUOTE man so the fastest of AMD is about NEVER go for the fastest one. They are always at a rediculous price to get the "I want the best" kind of people. Got for middle or even low speed. My advice is, if you have a tigth budget, go for the slowest of the dual core and put the money you saved on memory and better (faster) disks. Clock speed has an impact on performance, but it is not the most important thing.

QUOTE so i have to pay for the motherboard and the rest of the stuff? Minimum you will need is:
- CPU
- Motherboard
- Memory

Depending on your older computer, you maybe could use your old graphic card (it depends if its AGP or PCI express) if its AGP, you will need a new one.

You can definatly re-use your old disks and wait a bit to buy new one. Same goes for screen, keyboard, mouse, speakers, CD/DVD reader burner, etc.

I hope this helps.
Once you select a CPU post the board you are looking at, we will give you a heads up on that board.

thanks bold!
biggrin.gif
anyway is it true that athlon processor are not static proof? so if it get staticasize i just threw about $ 400 to $ 500?

QUOTE (Angel453455 @ Feb 28 2006, 08:50 AM) thanks bold!
biggrin.gif
anyway is it true that athlon processor are not static proof? so if it get staticasize i just threw about $ 400 to $ 500?
There is no such thing as a static proof chip!

To protect a chip against static you would need to have high capacities at every entry, meaning it would be slow as hell.

Anyway, I don't want to go into details, but every electronic chip is sensible to static. Just make sure you ground yourself (always keep a physical contact on the computer case, of even better a piece of metal connected to the water pipes) before touching anything that is electronic.

QUOTE (Angel453455 @ Feb 28 2006, 09:04 AM) my friend said intel... is it true its static proof?
I worked with intel technologies for many months at a computer board design company, it is anything BUT static proof! Trust me. If you want, I can give you all the electrical explanations, but I don't want to bore anyone.

Bottom line is, it is not an argument to go with one technology or the other. Simply because once its installed, there is no static problem.

That whole "this chip is more sensible to static than that other" is mostly a myth. Specially when it comes to processors.

ok ok...
dry.gif
i trust you cause i don't even understand a thing about the properties of processor...
biggrin.gif
so i think i should take your advice.
wink.gif

ok here is the thing... Processor : AMD (aiming for an x2 4400 +)
Motherboard : ?
Video Card: ?

anyway aiming for something that won't be obsolite for some time... so please help.
tongue.gif

QUOTE NEVER go for the fastest one. They are always at a rediculous price to get the "I want the best" kind of people. Got for middle or even low speed. My advice is, if you have a tigth budget, go for the slowest of the dual core and put the money you saved on memory and better (faster) disks. Clock speed has an impact on performance, but it is not the most important thing.
but isnt he building a gaming pc btw heres the formula for good gaming performance.
good gaming performance= fast cpu + good graphics card
tongue.gif
btw arent AGP graphic cards better than PCI ones.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back