• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

~ Random Touhou link finder ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Touhou, games (be they PC, console, or even traditional biased), Touhou, Meidos, Visual Novels, Touhou, oh and did I mention Touhou lol

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Yays. Seeing that this series is getting another episode makes me think that this is turning out to be nothing more than an Unofficial OVA series. In any case I kind of wonder if Yukari is going to show up. Not only that, but I'd like to see Ran and Chen as well since I get this felling that it'll start up a running gag.

Not only that, but I hope Meling will have a bit more of an active role aside from sleeping on duity.

- Miko Miko Mode Oni Version

#42 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (wedora @ Feb 07 2010, 11:53 AM)
nice!

It still boggles my mind that an official anime hasn't been made for Touhou. The popularity it already has guarantees a virtually no-lose situation on making one, not to mention that there is tons of material and characters to work from. Also, ZUN could use it to firmly cement character personas that have been distorted by some fans.

BTW the animation in that link is impressive. Is it still a large group project or has it become more specialized?

because the project was fan made to begin with. If the crew got enough funding from an official animation group who would recognize them, then maybe they could. I'm sure seiyuus probably won't be that big of an issue seeing as they would pay to act anyways.

The anime project I believe is done by a very small group (excluding seiyuu cast of course). I don't remember if this was the project being done by a group of college students or was it something else....

#43 wedora

wedora

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Feb 07 2010, 02:17 PM)
because the project was fan made to begin with. If the crew got enough funding from an official animation group who would recognize them, then maybe they could. I'm sure seiyuus probably won't be that big of an issue seeing as they would pay to act anyways.

The anime project I believe is done by a very small group (excluding seiyuu cast of course). I don't remember if this was the project being done by a group of college students or was it something else....

I know these anime eps are fan-made, what I mean is that I'm surprised a well-funded animation studio hasn't managed to pester zun into letting them do a series on Touhou. Its practically a guaranteed goldmine due to the huge fanbase.
user posted image
MAL

#44 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
  • Interests:Anime =) - esp fantasy, school comedy, fighting;
    All sorts of metal - including Japanese;
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Well, IIRC ZUN was impesterable. He didn't want to have Touhou too popularized, nor did he want to give up his rights to it. Therefore, he pretty much stalled every commercial attempt, and even made the distribution of the fan-made animation difficult.
<p>monofood.gif<br><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.animenews...r=Ausdoerrt'>My rarely-updated anime list</a></p>

#45 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Touhou, games (be they PC, console, or even traditional biased), Touhou, Meidos, Visual Novels, Touhou, oh and did I mention Touhou lol

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

*casts Thread Necromancy*

Long story short it's now getting an Offical anime series done by UFO Table. Besides I just though that it might be worth recycling this thread because of the news story that was posted on Friday about all of this:

http://www.animenews...ime-by-ufotable

So is this a good thing, or a bad thing now? Although, the only thought comes to mind is one thing, and that is this is either brought on by magic, Erin's crazy drugs were used, it being a Moriya Shrine conspiracy, and/or it's Yukari up to her usual tricks again.

#46 Killer_Ossi

Killer_Ossi

Retired

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3817 posts
  • Interests:Chilling with friends<br>Pen-&amp;-Paper RPG<br>Animes, Mangas, Hentai<br>PC-Games<br>Bodybuilding

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

Back then I watched that OVA and stopped it after 5 minutes since it was completely boring. Cant understand the hype aroung this franchise. Ok I never played the game but it doesnt look nearly interesting enough to challenge Fate/Stay Night in numbers of Doujins. Even though I must say there are really cute girls from what I saw in the Sankaku gallery. But cant really think the games have a story so ... arggh I dont know. Just why is there such a big hype?

MaybeI will give that official anime a shot.
[Admin note: Sig removed due to negative comments toward the community]

#47 wedora

wedora

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

That one ep thing was a fanwork done by a few people aimed at fans who understand the franchise and even then not many liked it, its not a good barometer since Touhou is a game series first and foremost. This OVA will likely be a parody and not work either, you kinda have to go in a bit deeper to understand the obsession.

I like the games because they are difficult but not super serious and that the fluff doesnt suck (storyline/dialogue is funny, music, pretty patterns). Hell, one of the main draws is the music, he made the games to write VGMs (one man does it all btw). Original character drawings are...thank god for fan art? For me I find a wierd draw in getting wrecked by a flying loli.

Here's a vid of some crazy person playing one of the earlier windows game's final stages on lunatic:

And here's the newest whole numbered game's extra boss:

The volume of fanwork is mainly due to the massive amount of material to work with and soft edges on the canon. There are a lot of games with a decent setting & a ton of characters with lightly defined personalities, but other than that its a fairly open slate. It leaves a lot of room for imagination. More importantly, hes not going after anyone for fanworks of anything hes created or charging royalties, just asks that you put him in the credits. There aren't official plushies and stuff, its virtually all fan made. The result of that culture of acceptance towards fanworks results in uncountable fan art, fan music, fan vids, fan games, literally everything. I would be surprised if any single franchise came close to half the count of Touhou fanworks considering it takes up like 20% of comikets and also has its own separate conventions. I count 850 artists with 3,000 albums from one music torrent as an example.

I personally like the whole fanwork culture surrounding it and that the creator isn't a douche looking to milk it commercially. One thing that disgusts me about the culture in the US is the thought that fans are only consumers and things such as singing happy birthday or playing a cover in a restaurant is copyright infringement unless you pay royalties. These Touhou musicians have concerts with their arrangements and some make a living on it and he doesn't chase them down. Its a beautiful thing and I wish there were more of it around the world.

Edited by wedora, 28 September 2010 - 02:07 AM.

user posted image
MAL

#48 julez

julez

-chibi

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3242 posts
  • Interests:on vacation~

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

I watched the videos you posted wedora, and this game seems so confusing tongue.gif
I don't really understand it at all.

Currently Watching:

Shingeki no Kyojin, Monogatari Series: Second Season, Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S, Genshiken Nidaime, Silver Spoon, Free!, Blood Lad, Rozen Maiden Zur�ckspulen, Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince, Space Brothers, Uchouten Kazoku, Servant x Service, Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation, Gatchaman Crowds, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou

My Anime List

#49 wedora

wedora

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

Its pretty simple really, its an overhead view where you play as the small icon near the bottom of the screen and move around, shooting your targets. All of the weird colors and patterns are bullets and if you get hit you die. You have a number of lives and bombs (screen clearing safety valves) and the goal is to not die and complete the stage. Its like those old arcade games where you're a plane flying through a stage with similar objectives. There's a storyline too but the replay speeds through those parts.

Focus on the icon moving around near the bottom/ of the screen and you can see the player dodging bullets. The little red girl the player is using in the first replay is in wolfs sig and marines avatar.

Edited by wedora, 28 September 2010 - 04:35 PM.

user posted image
MAL

#50 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

If yo uwant something more recient this is probably the best thing for what the series is well known for as well.

12.8 EX-Stage:

In any case this has been around before the turn of the century, like mid to late 90s to be exact. Although with this being given something along the line of an actual anime company doing something with it I have to wonder is this going to use only the Windows crew only, or is there a slight hope of seeing anyone from the PC-98 Era at all here. I mean Mima needs to be brought back. tongue.gif

#51 Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179

-萌え大将軍 (moé daishogun)

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2892 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

By the way, have you guys seen this doujin PV "Genso Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~" that was by the circle Manpuku Jinja?

I first saw it on nico...think it was first uploaded about a week ago. Guess it shows what dedicated fans can do, comparing to some professional animation company having deform issues doing some anime half-heartly laugh.gif

#52 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

The way things are going it would always seem that sometimes the fan made versions are usually well received if it's done right. Most of the times it ends up being nothing but a compilation of music videos, but never the less fun to watch.

As for the other version being made I'm just wondering are they going to have it as a one-shot OVA or are they going to do something with it? Because I'm kind of lost on what's going on there.

#53 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:07 AM

They have confirmation that ufotable will be releaseing their doujin work for the game series by November of this year. The up side is I like the idea, but the down side is the stoy takes place outside of the Gensokyo border.

On the up side at least Flandre is wholely involved with what the trailer showed. Although the video that shoed it was nothing more than a camcorder recording this promo video. It should still be up on niconico though.

In any case I'm still having mixed feelings about this. Hopefully it'll epxlain why things are happening outside the Gensokyo border with this story now, or I sense terrible things that may happen.

#54 wedora

wedora

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

For those who want to see the trailer, here's a camrip: from 0:34. It doesn't show much other than a few chars and what looks like a battle between Flandre and Marisa...and they're clearly where they shouldn't be, outside of Gensokyo. I guess they'll spin it as either Reimu or Yukari messing up the border.

I'm not concerned at all, its meant to be a dervitative work according to everyone involved so I wouldn't be surprised if they crapped all over the canon. Its not supposed to be official so it doesn't matter to me...as long as they don't include Yukkuris (scary stuff).

The camrip only has TH6 & TH7 characters, but you never know. Here's some character pictures:
Most of Touhou cast, excludes TH12 (click to enlarge if it shrinks)

Characters you're most likely to see or are already in the trailer:
Reimu & Marisa (main characters)
Scarlet Devil Mansion cast
Yakumo group

Edited by wedora, 17 October 2010 - 05:13 PM.

user posted image
MAL

#55 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

You know I kind of noticed something. With most of the deriviatve works like this they usually end up either using the SDM crew, the Yakumos, or maybe the Eientei group. Pretty much I think it's because th6 though th8 were considered as the three games that really made the series. It's probably were most of the memes and/or tropes come from.

Although 9 would be hard to work with, while 10 is pretty much adding another rival shrine maiden to the mix, and of course 11 is just to dangerous to even attempt because of the â‘¥ at the end.

Oddly enough I kind of want to see if Maribel and Renko will be dragged into this since they are on the outisde of Gensokyo wanting to go in. My guess I'm sure they are the two invovled in the hyjinks that will quite possible unfold when they premire it of course.

#56 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:41 AM

Ok since this is technically an unoffical OVA it came out on the 20th of November, and now to wait and see who will pick this up to sub it. Besides if the OVA does well we might get a series done out of this somehow.

In the end I'm kind of on the fence over this, but I just hope things turn out well and that we don't have the argumentitive spliut between the games and the anime. unsure.gif

#57 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:01 AM

Well the ufotable OVA is now released and I'm kind of wondering if any sub group was going to pick this one up at all, or will this slip into the batches of obscurity.

I mean I know there was one that pretty much focused on the Eientei group, and that was the oldest one made. So I'm hoping it doesn't get completely ignored here since I was going to make judgements after watching it though.

#58 wedora

wedora

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:15 AM

Patience is a virtue. It is unlikely that it is in a suitable format at the moment. It also doesn't look like a camrip is floating around in the raws. They can't sub it if they have nothing to work from smile.gif

It'll eventually make its way into something usable, and I'm sure it'll get subbed by then. If it doesn't get done by a group, the ravenous lot of english-speaking touhou fans will find a way.
user posted image
MAL

#59 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

Oh yeah I forgot our fanbase can pretty much take anything upon themselves if the need arises. laugh.gif

Although I kind of find it impossible to find that Eientei movie, even though the quality was kind of poor I mean it did have my favorite group of girls invoved. Besides the group that did it was well known for thier Touhou Music Videos though.

#60 wedora

wedora

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:11 AM

Copied from my post in games/Touhou Project thread (not spoiler-laden):

-----------------------------------------

Here's some info on the Touhou OVA, courtesy of Lunatic Red (and pointed out by members at Doujinstyle):

Alright. Here's a quick sum-up of the anime some of us have been waiting for.

I am basing this on a review that I found on the net.

The animation is very well done and they manage to depict danmaku in an epic way. The environments are supposedly dark and twisted, filled with ruins and lots of debris for the characters to go "kyuu" on, so to speak. While the reviewer claims to not be able to put his finger on some of the spells used by the girls, it is still quite apparent that we'll be seeing some recognizable patterns.

Next up is the story, and here is where I believe the anime will lose most peoples' interest. It is a 10 minutes short, just like the other Anime Tenchou crossovers. While it is this short, the reviewer states that the story is actually quite good. I can't tell if this is simply his fanboy-ism speaking though. He also states that the fact of it being a crossover has no negative impact on the anime. The Anime Tenchou characters blend well with the Touhou characters and the audience gets what they want: Danmaku goodness~

Sorry to disappoint any of you who had your fingers crossed for a sudden appearance of your favorite girl, but the Touhou characters are pretty much limited to those who appear on the comercial poster. While I didn't read the part about the story (anti-spoiler), I did manage to pick out that it revolves around Reimu and Flandre for the most part. Reimu being the protagonist and Flandre being the antagonist, if you can even categorize them as such.

Characters that make appearances: Reimu, Flandre, Marisa, Yukari and Ran.

Characters that make minor appearances: Rumia, Wriggle, Mystia, Satori, Koishi, Suika, Murasa, Remilia, Patchouli and Sakuya.

As for the music. It seems like they did what many of us had hoped for (I know I did at least). They rearranged the original music! Woop the freaking doo!

Voice acting... the icing on the cake... is apparently not so good. The reviewer wasn't disgusted by it, but said that it was mediocre at best, lacking emotions and personality.

In the end, it seems he enjoyed it even after all of its flaws. Will the western fanbase do the same I wonder?

Feel free to dissect this review further as I only picked out the pieces of information I felt to be relevant. If you are going to translate the story part of the review, please post it in spoiler tags. Thanks.

It looks like it may be a while till it gets out since it was only shown like a movie, hopefully they'll put a disc out at C79 or something.

-----------------------------------------

In summary, its a 10 min short with no digital version available at this point in time. It'll probably take a while for it to show up, so don't bother searching day and night for it.

Unrelated but something I found interesting, here's a very well done character relation chart for all characters from Touhou 6 to 12.8. Pretty overwhelming.
http://img802.images...ae41239a14d.png
user posted image
MAL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users