Hai to Gensou no Grimgar

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (Grimgal of Ashes and Illusion)
Japanese: 灰と幻想のグリムガル Grimgar le Monde des cendres et de fantaisie (FR)
Airing date: 10/1/2016 (TV series)
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Drama
Original creator: Ao Jūmonji
Original character designer: Eiri Shirai (light novel) and Mutsumi Okubashi (manga)
Directed and written by: Ryosuke Nakamura
Character designer: Mieko Hosoi
3DCGI by: SUBARU
Backgrounds by: Atelier BWCA
Photography by: Studio Twinkle
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Network: AT-X, Tokyo MX, BS11, ABC
Opening theme: "Knew day" by (K) NoW_NAME
Ending theme: "Harvest" by (K) NoW_NAME

Main cast: Haruhiro (ハルヒロ) voiced by Yoshimasa Hosoya
Ranta (ランタ) voiced by Hiroyuki Yoshino
Manato (マナト) voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki
Moguzou (モグゾー) voiced by Fukushi Ochiai
Yume (ユメ) voiced by Mikako Komatsu
Shihoru (シホル) voiced by Haruka Terui

Renji (レンジ) voiced by Tomokazu Seki
Kikkawa (キッカワ) voiced by Daisuke Namikawa
Britney (ブリトニー) voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto
Barbara (バルバラ) voiced by Mamiko Noto
Supporting cast: Mary (メリイ)
Kuzaku (クザク)
Ron (ロン)
Sassa (サッサ)
Adachi (アダチ)
Chibi (チビ)

Synopsis:
Why are we here? Why are we doing this? Before Haruhiro had realized what happened, he was surrounded by darkness. Why was he here? Where was here? Even now, he still didn't know. Those around him were the same as him, no one remembered anything other than their own names. And when they emerged from the darkness, the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a video game. In order to survive, Haruhiro forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgar. What awaits him there, he doesn't know... This the story of an adventure born from the ashes.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Dec 05 2015, 06:18 PM)Grimgar sounds interesting as long as the staff doesn't make it like a video game or a fantasy game world... keep it real and it would be more 'real'... like Matrix.
QUOTE (Norren @ Dec 06 2015, 04:16 AM)Looks like another Isekai. Art is at least interesting.aside topic description, i find ep'1 more interesting than Phantasy Star Online
tongue.gif

Watched the the first ep. It was okay I suppose. As always... what is most on my mind is, is there going to be progression? And by progression....I mean I want to see something happen. Most animes of these types just go nowhere.

Will give it to ep 4, if it doesnt grab me by then I'm out.

Hmm, i can understand what franzoir is saying. The first episode lacked action and felt to be a more of an introduction to the characters and surroundings. It is understandable that the characters are cautious as they feel that they are weak and can actually be killed if they run into trouble. However to only mention a gruesome training without actually showing it was disappointing. Maybe the next episode will be better...i can't shake the feeling that some of the characters are going to die in a pretty horrible way..

Having looked a little bit at some of the Manga and the start of the first LN for this, it seems like they were trying way too hard to make it Media in Res when the source... wasn't.

Hopefully now that everyone's introed we can get the story rolling and the artists have something besides the backgrounds to focus on. (So much effort into those backgrounds.)

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jan 11 2016, 10:41 AM)The first episode lacked action and felt to be a more of an introduction to the characters and surroundings. It is understandable that the characters are cautious as they feel that they are weak and can actually be killed if they run into trouble. However to only mention a gruesome training without actually showing it was disappointing.
QUOTE (Norren @ Jan 12 2016, 08:34 PM)Hopefully now that everyone's introed we can get the story rolling and the artists have something besides the backgrounds to focus on. (So much effort into those backgrounds.)uh songs added in ep.2? even its main cast appreciate BGs ;p so, they fight yet another goblin but felt quite realistic... unlike other RPG kind series saw where battles go smoothly, but here the foes try to survive like adventurers or NPCs
smile.gif

Halfway through the episode I just started bursting out laughing. I get it...its hard to kill things. When the music started playing with a montage of them shopping, I was near hysterical.

This show might actually be too realistic for me except for the cliched scene of the guy intruding on the girls bath time. So many animes do that...could they not have spent that time doing somethingelse.

Like they need to get some timeskips or atleast switch to the other group who are progressing.

I wanted to give it 4 eps but I think I should just bow out now. Maybe the plot will culminate to something but it strikes me as a do nothing slice of life.

So now you kind of feel a bit bad over the gobbles here with this episode. Although when your party has nothing but level 1's trying to take down something that is probably level 7 or so on its own then yes you'll have a hard time taking it down.

The only problem I got was how they only got 18 copper from all of this, which makes me believe either the leader is holding out on them, or he has a debit to pay back at the tavern.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jan 17 2016, 03:47 PM) I wanted to give it 4 eps but I think I should just bow out now. Maybe the plot will culminate to something but it strikes me as a do nothing slice of life.
Definitely don't think it's gonna be a slice-of-life affair, but it seems like it'll lean much closer to character drama then fantasy action. Episode 2's fight against the goblin felt quite visceral and I actually felt bad for the goblin who was just filling his water bottle. It drove home that they were really fighting for the their life and how much of an uncomfortable experience it was for everyone. Manato seemed to the be the only person unfazed about the fight, though as the healer he didn't have an active role against the goblin.

Not to say it doesn't have issues though. The pacing has been a bit too slow so far and it feels like they added that bath scenario just because that's what Light Novels often do and not because it helps the story.

I must agree..this series is still going very slowly. Even if it is more of a drama than anything else it does need to speed up a bit to remain interesting.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 18 2016, 01:55 PM)it seems like it'll lean much closer to character drama then fantasy action. Episode 2's fight against the goblin felt quite visceral and I actually felt bad for the goblin who was just filling his water bottle. It drove home that they were really fighting for the their life and how much of an uncomfortable experience it was
QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 18 2016,01:01 AM)feel a bit bad over the gobbles here with this episode. Although when your party has nothing but level 1's trying to take down something that is probably level 7 or so on its own then yes you'll have a hard timeActually for me felt worse to see one killed asleep in ep.3, despite nobody cares this time at least they got others fairly... 23 days passed so it wasn't as slow as previously, still if you pals want faster pace or more action then try KonoSuba
wink.gif

Lunchbreak:

To say that I have been UNDERwhelmed by the anime offerings as of late is an UNDERstatement...

I find a couple of anime titles "interesting", like Dimension W, but nothing just stood up and grabbed me like the classics have. (Like Angelbeats, or Clannad where the characters REALLY made the story. Not how hot, smart, or cool a character was, but just displayed a level of depth that made me say on some level, "This character MATTERS to me. I want them to live, win, lose, love, etc..)

Then this week's episode of Grimgar happened. HOLY $@#$^!!!! Cheesy music-swell to trigger emotional response aside, WELL DONE! This early in the story, and I hadn't even realized how emotionally-invested I had become in the characters. They are all "real". Not to perfect, not stereotypical in every way. Yes, I can clearly identify archetypes, but they don't feel like I could easily transplant them into every other storyline that is out there. They have real failings and hints at untold strengths yet to be revealed. And not because they are the sons/daughters of alien races, or Gods. Just basic decent HUMAN strength of character. Strength IN SPITE of frailty is much more endearing than simple overwhelming power with some single, silly Achilles-like weakness. (Kryptonite, Time limit, Going "too far" devolves/destroys/permanently mutates you, etc..)

Again, WELL DONE!

I will now search-out the books so that I can support this story and its creator(s).

Ken N.

QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Feb 01 2016, 10:30 AM)Then this week's episode of Grimgar happened. HOLY $@#$^!!!! Cheesy music-swell to trigger emotional response aside, WELL DONE! This early in the story, and I hadn't even realized how emotionally-invested I had become in the characters. They are all "real". Not to perfect, not stereotypical in every way. Yes, I can clearly identify archetypes, but they don't feel like I could easily transplant them into every other storyline that is out there. They have real failings and hints at untold strengths yet to be revealed. And not because they are the sons/daughters of alien races, or Gods. Just basic decent HUMAN strength of character. Strength IN SPITE of frailty is much more endearing than simple overwhelming power with some single, silly Achilles-like weakness. (Kryptonite, Time limit, Going "too far" devolves/destroys/permanently mutates you, etc..)

Again, WELL DONE!

I will now search-out the books so that I can support this story and its creator(s).
QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jan 11 2016, 10:41 AM)i can't shake the feeling that some of the characters are going to die in a pretty horrible way..bingo :0 after a tragic ep.4 felt like this series will pick up from now on, so we'll watch what new surprise it'll bring us... ok even if i can get why others dropped it already, for above reasons doesn't mean that many will keep happening
huh.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Feb 01 2016, 12:27 PM) bingo :0 after a tragic ep.4 felt like this series will pick up from now on, so we'll watch what new surprise it'll bring us... ok even if i can get why others dropped it already, for above reasons doesn't mean that many will keep happening
huh.gif

Not looking to argue "the best way" to start a story, but for me, there are 2 elements that need some sort of balance.

Action VS background/character development:

Action-heavy Example - Onepunch Man - Action from jump, Super-light on background development, and the character is just UNGODLY strong, but you've no idea why.
In short: FUN! A guilty pleasure. All saccharine, and no substance. (And this is FINE by me.)

Development-heavy Example - "...Grimgar(l) starts out literally from level one development. NO skills, just thrashing about, getting their butts kicked by basic monsters. Usually, at least one fighter carries
the team, and the rest find it within themselves to catch up or surpass that character in various ways. Not here. THEY ALL SUCK. They struggle, their scared, and their fights aren't pretty. No finishing moves, or fancy poses. Straight-up, back alley violence.

Slowly, they begin the process of trusting each other, and themselves (They don't know themselves at first, and it shows in the writing.) which allows them to start working as a team. Planning, and assigning roles starts to work for them. A leader emerges...

In short: Awkward & painful! I can identify with this. everything that I tried for the first time and SUCKED at, but got better at draws me to this story. THIS is why I care more about these characters than if say, one of the characters on "Active Raid" who are all super-talented, but just neurotic messes who sabotage themselves died.

As an example of "balance" I will reference "Dimension W" There are elements of background and motivation provided up-front, but there is plenty of action and plot engines moving things along at a good pace as well. A totally different genre from Grimgar(l) where it works nicely.

Now, maybe this just isn't their type of story. I HATED Titanic, but recognize that it as a story well-told. Just nothing in terms of the elements provided made me care if anyone made it off the boat or not... Meanwhile, my wife was openly sobbing! Courses for Horses I guess...

Anyway, I for one am happy to have an alternative to formulatic expose'-type beginnings like in Majestic Prince, or Muv Luv. (Nicely drawn, each of them, but for VERY different reasons!)
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Feb 02 2016, 11:00 AM)I for one am happy to have an alternative to formulatic expose'-type beginnings like in Majestic Prince, or Muv Luv. (Nicely drawn, each of them, but for VERY different reasons!)that's why i didn't drop Schwarzesmarken ;p but i get what you mean, specially in ep'5 seeing how they all sulk for Manato... aside the feels and a possible love triangle ;/ Im used to tearjerkers, it'll get more lively with Mary as new priest
tongue.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Feb 07 2016, 11:43 AM) that's why i didn't drop Schwarzesmarken ;p but i get what you mean, specially in ep'5 seeing how they all sulk for Manato... aside the feels and a possible love triangle ;/ Im used to tearjerkers, it'll get more lively with Mary as new priest
tongue.gif

True to my word, I started reading the Light Novel.

Yeah, Mary will provide a baptism by fire alright. And squarely rub their noses in the "why" what happened to Manato happened. Also providing a bit of "give and take" as she eventually benefits in various ways from them as well... (No spoiler. You kind of have to expect this with a central character, and I'm not saying HOW anyone benefits.)

Seems like they are running through material at a fast pace. I hope they don't run out like they did with "Is it okay to pick up girls in a dungeon?" last year.

EDIT: Oh! And I simply MUST add that if I were choosing guilds, I'd choose THIEF too! @#$@ Barbara is the exact image that I have in my mind of what the original Velma from Scooby-Doo would look like if she ever took off that STUPID SWEATER. C'mon guys... She wore that big-bulky thing on tropical islands for a reason! She had a SLAMMIN' body, and didn't want to give the others any unwholesome ideas... Built like Barbara here? She'd even have to beat-off Daphne!
blink.gif

tumblr_o0su4lVifo1sg1ksjo1_500.gif

MEGANE!!!!!! Banzai! BANzai!! BANZAIIII!!!!!!! (We need a "drooling" emoticon!)

QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Feb 07 2016, 12:10 PM)EDIT: Oh! And I simply MUST add that if I were choosing guilds, I'd choose THIEF too! @#$@ Barbara is the exact image that I have in my mind of what the original Velma from Scooby-Doo would look like if she ever took off that STUPID SWEATER. C'mon guys... She wore that big-bulky thing on tropical islands for a reason! She had a SLAMMIN' body, and didn't want to give the others any unwholesome ideas... Built like Barbara here? She'd even have to beat-off Daphne!
blink.gif
Also both Scooby-Doo live actions are only worth to see for her, I think Velma's actress looks better than Daphne's too... yet surprised to know Grimgars anime is faster than LNs, ep.6 still Mary slowly changes her pokerface lone-wolf way
smile.gif

More "Barbara "M"-side" fan-service this episode. Banzai! - Banzai!! - BANZAI!!!

Grimgar is seriously the ONLY anime that I'm actually jonesing for by week's end. After I watch each episode, I'm immediately thinking "Crap! 7 more days until the next one!"

When Barbara asks which face pops into his head, I was seriously wondering if it was Mary or Yume. Though he DID just have a nice exchange with Shihoru...

Sad thing is, according to the character's descriptions, Mary is supposed to be GORGEOUS, while Yume and Shihoru are just supposed to be "plain". But with the way they are drawn, I truly can't tell if one is more attractive than the other. If you like short-haired chibis, then Shihoro is your choice. But if you like "sporty- girl next door types, the Yume. And if you are a fan of the Yamato Nadeshiko, then you have Mary. Other than that you just have small boobs (BUT PRESENT as pointed out be Haruhiko) Yume, Medium boobs, Mary, and Large Boobs Shihoru, (Who sorry, but she's got NOTHING on Barbara. Perhaps the difference of a growing child VS a fully-developed WOMAN.)

If this were Dawson's Creek, Yume would be Joey, Shihoru would be Jen (Though MUCH less outspoken), and Mary would be Andy (Really pretty, but major psychological baggage/trauma.)

Funny how this show feels like it is going SO slow, but it is actually burning-through the lite novel material at warp speed.

Pig-worms! That's all I'm sayin' Look forward to the laughs...

Knorris908 said:
If this were Dawson's Creek, Yume would be Joey, Shihoru would be Jen (Though MUCH less outspoken), and Mary would be Andy (Really pretty, but major psychological baggage/traum
Ranta would be the ranting Pacey or Hal a pessimistic Dawson ;/ so, as velma-sensei suggests his harem she is... my favorite femme fatal teacher after 0ubu and Bitchsensei, now in ep.10 they're hunting kobolds instead! revenge time :)

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back