Request for H264 and Xvid

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Samurai

Kouhai
As is the Matroska video file is becoming evermore a more popular file format for watching anime. As time goes by more and more fansub groups are accepting mkv files with H264 compression as a major source of distribution, even neglecting Xvid video compression completely.

Progressively more and more people are also becoming more open to use of mkv files over avi, and hence prefer to take the mkv files wherever possible. There are numerous reasons for this: softsubs, chapters, better video and audio quality etc.
(Many more reasons can be found here.)

As is fansub groups continue to release both mkv and avi files, and Fansub.tv continues to generally download the Xvid version when an episode is released in both formats simultaneously. This is fine for audiences who do not have the capability of running files with H264 video compression, however with the masses starting to sway more towards the combination of H264 and mkv files, is it not time for Fansub.tv to start considering this also?

What I ask is not an eradication of Xvid encoded avi files as the general download option, but that guests of Fansub.tv are given the ability to decide which format they would prefer. This would involve the downloading of both the H264 and Xvid versions of a released episode to their servers to be made available for distribution.

Is it possible for such a thing to come to pass?

With Thanks

Master Samurai

I understand where you are coming from, but FTV doesn't just grab avi's all the time cause it's catering to people who can't play mkv. FTV picks up the first downloads that come from animesuki and just hosts that. So it all depends on if the avi or the mkv is put up first on animesuki.

But that's also one of the uses for the Anime Request Thread. If you want the version that FTV didn't happen to load then you can easily request it there, assuming it doesn't conflict with the rules (ie licensed, MFI,...).

I appreciate what you are saying, and I do understand that generally the first episode that is released is the version which ends up on Fansub.tv.

I also thank you for the option of requesting the particular files, however when 75% of the files which are generally downloaded to the servers are the avi versions it would become increasingly tedious and annoying for people concerned to have to either request said versions or for those that have to make the episode available for download, problems which could both potentially be solved be allowing both versions to become available on the FTV servers.

But then you run into server size restrictions. If we were to host both the mkv and avi versions of each episode for each series we would potentially be increasing the the load on the servers by 2-3 times what it currently is since some groups release their mkv in HD ranging in size from 230-350mb as opposed to 178mb. Then it becomes impractical to do such a thing.

QUOTE (Master Samurai @ Sep 27 2008, 04:36 PM) I also thank you for the option of requesting the particular files, however when 75% of the files which are generally downloaded to the servers are the avi versions it would become increasingly tedious and annoying for people concerned to have to either request said versions or for those that have to make the episode available for download, problems which could both potentially be solved be allowing both versions to become available on the FTV servers.
If H264 and XVID are released simultaneously, XVID tends to be prioritized (or that's what it seems like) simply because not every computer can play h264 encoded files. Not everyone has the money to afford a new computer capable of playing these files. In essence, the primary concern is that people are able to actually play/watch these files instead of having people who "prefer" high quality or can play high quality "hog" everything to themselves. On another note, h264 files tend to be larger than xvid files. I have no idea if this affects the priority, but if it does, it would make sense to take xvid files since it puts less strain on the server and takes up less space, allowing the server to retain more series at once.

Reminder that the host of these files are from Fansub TV's own server and not a free file hosting site like megaupload or rapidshare, therefore the site is paying for the expense of the server

I hate to say it but that would likely require a large rewrite to be made to the code that runs this site. Being a programmer myself I know that with larger systems even a small simple change can require a lot of work.

If you think that you are annoying people by asking them for help then I'd say you should be looking around yourself. There are many places that you can find to directly download anime (fansub is different in that it uses its own server where as others usually use megaupload/rapidshare for the most part). This is not the only place that caters to people who can't use torrents. (Also while I've brought up torrents: If you can use torrents then problem solved! Don't know what a torrent is or how to use one then just ask.)

Google is your friend. There are billions of websites out there just waiting to be found and I'm sure one or two of them might have what you want.

The simple answer: It is unlikely that FTV will be hosting multiple files of the same episode for direct download.
The reasons being:
1) File/server size. Double the files hosted = almost triple the space needed (due to differences in file size between .avi and .mkv)
2) Coding required. We would have to create a system that picks up all the torrents (as it currently does), downloads and rehosts the first released (as it already does) and then searches for the equivalent copy by the same group in .mkv assuming such a copy even exists. It's easy to just download and rehost the first file available...a little harder to start searching for the equivalent file in another format and host it too.
3) Increased expectations. If this does get implemented, the next thing will be demands that we host specific groups, or even all groups - which would be even more difficult.

Overall, it's just not likely to happen any time soon if at all. I would suggest you make use of the anime request thread as was said by Barbobot earlier. Alternatively, you can either use Torrents (the best and simplest way) or go to the actual sub group and request that they upload .mkv format before .avi - which would trickle down to FTV so our releases are in the same order.
That, or just live with .avi *shrug*

Adding to dchaosblade 1 One large Con for both H264 and Xvid is like someone said you will require more space for it simply 3 time as much in return there be less anime hosted on fansub.tv because of the space for the same files.

Also many people still prefer avi like I do even though my comp is capable of playing H264 I sometime use the avi for graphic works and others.

If someone is a Pro programmer that could program anything in 5 sec and someone had unlimited space then it possible for the suggestion lol but we dont have that....Someone need to call that guy from BPS lol...although we still have the space problem lol...

As many people have previously stated, the Fansub.TV engine uses the first release available for any given episode. However, in the event of a simultaneous release, it selects the one that is the most popular meaning that it will always cater to the majority.

The software programming required to make this work is trivial as the system is built to support the features you've requested, but the question has always been how much content we will want to "carry" at any given time. I've always expressed interest in focusing on the newest releases and dropping the old releases (older than a week or two), but I don't know if others share my opinion on this issue. If we do this, we could potentially offer every single release available (AVI, MKV, SD, HD, different groups, etc) within the new-release 1-2 week time window.

mainly is the space problem really a money problem? can this be solved with extra donation? and how much money would be required to triple the space? and if you had the money to triple it would you do it?

I now say Lets get a New Server dedicated to do that in the way daft mention
happy.gif
because the way the old server do their stuff is good already. Although that mean we have to take away certain ppl ice cream to get a new server lol...So I doubt it be a money problem unless daft want to get a new server to do it then it might be.

QUOTE (perimiter @ Oct 02 2008, 01:36 PM) mainly is the space problem really a money problem? can this be solved with extra donation? and how much money would be required to triple the space? and if you had the money to triple it would you do it?
To triple the space, we're probably looking at spending $1000+ . I don't think tripling our space would be a good solution since doing so would seem to reduce the utilization ratio (downloads per file) of the content that we have. One of my operational policies is to try to consistently increase interest & usage levels in existing content and features without increasing spending (i'm a cheapskate, i know..).

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Oct 02 2008, 02:12 PM)I now say Lets get a New Server dedicated to do that in the way daft mention  because the way the old server do their stuff is good already. Although that mean we have to take away certain ppl ice cream to get a new server lol...So I doubt it be a money problem unless daft want to get a new server to do it then it might be.
I'm not sure if a single server alone would be sufficient to handle the load, since the newest content is always in high demand. The only way I think this would be feasible from a resource standpoint is to change Fansub.TV's content retention policy and only offer 1-2 weeks of content at a time... but who knows, I could be very wrong!

QUOTE (daft27 @ Oct 02 2008, 02:21 PM) To triple the space, we're probably looking at spending $1000+ . I don't think tripling our space would be a good solution since doing so would seem to reduce the utilization ratio (downloads per file) of the content that we have. One of my operational policies is to try to consistently increase interest & usage levels in existing content and features without increasing spending (i'm a cheapskate, i know..).
Hey we're leechers/seeders....we never had money int the first place
laugh.gif
Fansubbers never had the intention to have people pay to watch stuff they do for free.....this is where most other sites fail...(premium service bs stuff)

QUOTE (daft27 @ Oct 02 2008, 02:21 PM)
I'm not sure if a single server alone would be sufficient to handle the load, since the newest content is always in high demand. The only way I think this would be feasible from a resource standpoint is to change Fansub.TV's content retention policy and only offer 1-2 weeks of content at a time... but who knows, I could be very wrong!

I sense that it's that time to experiment again............
smile.gif

QUOTE (daft27 @ Oct 02 2008, 03:21 PM) I'm not sure if a single server alone would be sufficient to handle the load, since the newest content is always in high demand. The only way I think this would be feasible from a resource standpoint is to change Fansub.TV's content retention policy and only offer 1-2 weeks of content at a time... but who knows, I could be very wrong!
As someone who can not download every episode as its released, it would become troublesome to have to resort to torrents vs direct download, as I get much greater speed with direct downloads than I do with torrents(150 average vs 30-60 with a good torrent). If a change must be made, then maybe keeping the files for 1 or 2 months would suffice, I think. I thought I would get my two cents in.

If your wondering why I can't get the episodes as they are released, it's because the only internet I can get in my area is satellite with a rolling 30 day data transfer of 17GB.(which I'm constantly over thanks to FTV)

I prefer avi my self as the quality and picture sound always seems to be better and also in HD I believe it is only way can get to work is with nay format ofer them mkv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back