Classic Anime & Movies

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

iamdeath

-sama
Sempai
Discuss your all time favourite classical anime from 1960s to late 1999

such as astro boy & dragon ball and many more anime & movies

I don't mind getting the ball rolling. When it comes to the classics, I tend to lean that way despite being only 23 (24 in March). I feel like it's the best way to appreciate what's coming up to see where we've come.

I look at most harems in today's lineup and say that they're pretty okay. Then again, I'm slightly biased because I was raised watching Tenchi.

For those who don't know about Tenchi Masaki... I don't mind letting you all in on what's really going on with this meager character and the world that he lives in. It's all about action, adventure, romance, and a little suspense here and there. All inside of a household where a young man takes after his grandfather in being one with the shrine that he lives at (or next to depending on the season in question). Women from all over the universe are drawn to this Earthling because of some unknown "it" factor that he possesses. From the infamous space pirate Ryoko to the princess of the most powerful planet in the known universe Ayeka (some go with Aeka... but for some reason a "Y" makes it seem better. o_o; ... ) there are different types of girls fighting for his heart that he really isn't interested in giving to anyone, really. And that's where most fans would shut the door on a series. "He doesn't love one of them?! Pick one damnit!"

The truth is... that he can't. To do this might cause a chain reaction the likes of which the universe wouldn't survive... xD! ... but that's just my thought processes at work. In case anyone hasn't watched Tenchi GXP... I'd recommend it. It isn't half bad... actually, given the circumstances, it does its elder series some justice and has a few cameos here and there.

I always mention a top ten eps of all time in some of my rants and Tenchi owns at least 4 of the 10 spots. The eps are legendary in my life and whenever I get into a new harem, I ask myself... "Is the lead indecisive? Do the women have an attachment to him other than, 'he's here and now what?', and is there a defined conflict of interests between the two or more girls who like said character?"

These questions coupled with a love for the dearly departed Toonami block on CN... leads me to say that Tenchi Muyo! is my all time favorite classic series, hands down. Then again, any of the anime on Toonami really stuck with me... even Bobobo. o_o; ... But that's too new school. xD!

1999 is classic now?

Sheesh, at least half of what I've seen was made before 2000. Makes me feel old.

Anyway, I'm currently (finally) trekking through the first Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA. I'm not too far along though, only episode 15 out of 100 or so episodes, but I'm rather enjoying it. The two main characters are always fun to watch and the battles are quite thrilling especially with the orchestral music in the background. I can't think of anything more satisfying than watching thousands of ships blowing up while Bolero echoes in the endlessness of space. I hear that the show keeps getting better and better, and really hits its stride after the first 26 episodes. So as I'm already enjoying it a bit, I look forward to that.

The "classic" animes I've seen did really well in the art department despite the low budget, but the stories and dialogue was cheesy to say the least. I guess much hasn't changed since in terms of storytelling, but the artistic value has consistently decreased overall despite better technology.

As for "classic movies", I quite enjoy Kurosawa's works. Anyone who wants to consider oneself a fan of Japanese film needs to see his movies.

one of classic movie is princess monooke by studio gilibi and marmarlade boy

Maybe it's just me, but when I think of classic anime, first thing that always comes to mind is Legend of Galactic Heroes, which is probably THE grandest anime show EVER produced. After that, it's Dragonball time (come on seriously, who can forget the Cha La Head Cha La?).

QUOTE (Megiddo @ Dec 22 2009, 10:29 PM) Anyway, I'm currently (finally) trekking through the first Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA. I'm not too far along though, only episode 15 out of 100 or so episodes, but I'm rather enjoying it. The two main characters are always fun to watch and the battles are quite thrilling especially with the orchestral music in the background. I can't think of anything more satisfying than watching thousands of ships blowing up while Bolero echoes in the endlessness of space. I hear that the show keeps getting better and better, and really hits its stride after the first 26 episodes. So as I'm already enjoying it a bit, I look forward to that.
Legend of Galactic Heroes = greatest anime of all times. Although not the most favorite title in my book, but definitely hands down one of the best classics if not the best. And for me classics = anything pre-1995 (i.e. cutoff for when Evangelion, Gundam 08th MS team, and Gundam Wing made their appearance)
Other good classics would be Gundam Char's Counterattack in 1988, Macross 1984, G Gundam in 1994, Grave of the Fireflies in 1988, Nausicaa in 1984, and Slam Dunk in 1993. There are a number of others I enjoyed, but can't name off the top of my head since they were more obscure titles.

Dragonball is great. Dragonball Z, on the other hand....

Well i dont know what you mean by "classics" but im going to comment on the ones that left a deep impression on me.

Anime films i really enjoyed are Hols: Prince of the Sun, Grave of the Fireflies, Laputa:Castle in the sky, Ghost in the Shell and Metropolis. Metropolis was recently adapted in 2001 but based on Tezuka's 1949 manga and probably the precursor to Astroboy.

All anime series have already been mentioned except for The Moomins. I really loved this show as a child. Not sure if it is actually anime though.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Dec 26 2009, 06:31 PM) Laputa:Castle in the sky
Yep, Laputa: Castle in the sky is definitely an all time classic and possibly the most legendary in anime film history. It was ranked quite high in the "Japan's all time best movies" by the Japanese as well. I think I have watched Laputa for like around 30 times.

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Dec 26 2009, 10:38 PM) It was ranked quite high in the "Japan's all time best movies" by the Japanese as well.
Pretty sure it is barring the Rebuild of Evangelion movies since Laputa was Studio Ghibli's first film if I recall correctly.

You remember incorrectly
tongue.gif
Miyazaki's first film was Nauscicaa of the Valley of the Wind (unless you also count the Lupin III movie). Laputa was 2nd or 3rd.

Personally, I like Laputa a lot less then any other Miyazaki works, since it's even more simplistic and uninvolved than his other works. I guess it makes a decent Disney-like kids' movie, but I don't see what's so revolutionary about it.

The new Metropolis was awesome visually, but the ending was sort of meh. Still, a pretty good work. IIRC, the manga was originally based on a German (?) movie of the same name.

Grave of the Fireflies was well-made, but I have serious qualms about its message. But I guess I'll spare myself another rant about how I dislike it.

I loved Mumintroll as a kid too, though I barely remember any of it. It's not anime proper though, since it's not styled that way, and apparently comes from Finland (thx wiki).

QUOTE (Megiddo @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 AM) 1999 is classic now?

Sheesh, at least half of what I've seen was made before 2000. Makes me feel old.

Anyway, I'm currently (finally) trekking through the first Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA. I'm not too far along though, only episode 15 out of 100 or so episodes, but I'm rather enjoying it. The two main characters are always fun to watch and the battles are quite thrilling especially with the orchestral music in the background. I can't think of anything more satisfying than watching thousands of ships blowing up while Bolero echoes in the endlessness of space. I hear that the show keeps getting better and better, and really hits its stride after the first 26 episodes. So as I'm already enjoying it a bit, I look forward to that.
Lol, 1999 was 10 years ago. Really makes me feel old XD Most of my favorites were from pre-2000, which is really funny cause I didn't move to the states until mid-2000 IIRC, and don't remember watching any anime in Europe (with the exception of Pokemon I guess).

Most of mine were just everything shown on Toonami or Adult Swim from that time, when I was just getting into anime but didn't know any better about fansubs or the like, one of my friends in High School finally introduced them to me, started giving me burnt DVDs so I could catch up. He taught me about fansubs and I fell in love~

Titles I remember - in no particular order - were the Dragonball series, Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam, 08th MS Team, Wing, and I remember some other one that I didn't like where it was like, a competition or something like that), Outlaw Star, Tenchi (series, in particular: Muyo, Universe) Banner of the Stars (and Crest of the Stars), Pokemon (lol), Speed Racer (there's a classic for ya), Cyborg 009 (same), Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Blue Seed, Slayers, H2 (awesome baseball anime), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Case Closed, Rurouni Kenshin, Escaflowne, Records of Lodoss War, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Cardcaptor Sakura, Initial D, Serial Experiments Lain, Great Teacher Onizuka (Awesome), His and Her Circumstances (really good, really crappy ending - studio ran out of money and it really showed T_T), Orphen, Betterman, Dual: Parallel Trouble Universe, Zoids, and Blue Gender.

Pretty sure all of those are pre-2000, and I really liked almost all of them (a few are a bit more forgettable or I only watched b/c someone else I knew was but nevertheless).
I would suggest pretty much all of them to anyone looking for a 'blast of the past' with pretty much no exceptions dependent on what they wanted.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Dec 26 2009, 11:13 PM) You remember incorrectly 
tongue.gif
  Miyazaki's first film was Nauscicaa of the Valley of the Wind (unless you also count the Lupin III movie). Laputa was 2nd or 3rd.
wrong...Miyazaki's first film was back in 1965 when he worked for Toei Animation: Gulliver's Travels Beyond the Moon, which he worked on as an artist and a secondary script writer.

Nausicaa came in 1984, which was I think the first work he primarily directed. I know he did some Lupin III stuff in between as co-director or something as well as Ali Baba and 40 Thieves. I'm sure he did alot of other stuff in that 20 year time period, but I'm not exactly sure what else, nor have I probably seen even half of those.

Studio Ghibli was founded in 1985 and Laputa came in 1986. What I don't remember is whether or not he did anything in 1985 or was he working on Laputa after establishing the studio....and anyone who says Totoro, which came in 1988 and I'm positive about this date, as the answer deserves a ban hammer...you have been warned.

From wiki:

QUOTE While created before Studio Ghibli was founded, the film is considered to be the beginning of the studio, and is often included as part of the Studio's works, including the Studio Ghibli Collection DVDs.

Basically, Nauscicaa is considered a Ghibli work by Ghibli even if it technically isn't
laugh.gif
Usually referred to as Ghibli's first work.

And yes, Laputa came right after (and is vastly inferior in all regards if you ask me).

all ghibi works are best anime movie i seen i wish they do full series anime would be good.

QUOTE (iamdeath @ Dec 27 2009, 03:04 AM) all ghibi works are best anime movie i seen i wish they do full series anime would be good.
no and no. Miyazaki's works are good, but they've been losing steam recently, at least for me. The only thing that really Miyazaki does well in this time and age is his creative mind that adds diversity to the anime industry. He always has the craziest ideas and that's why everyone actually still likes his movies. However, comparing some of his more recent movies to his older titles, they're just not as good anymore. I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't like Ponyo all that much.

Well i consider his work good i got few of his title like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away,Howl's Moving Castle all thse three i liked very good

Card Captor Sakura- the iconic anime which awaken the lolicon within tens of thousands otakus (myself included lol) rofl

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back