• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 chiisai_hana

chiisai_hana

-nipah!

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3733 posts
  • Interests:Likes: dramas, yaoi manga, kpop, jpop, collecting doujinshi, cooking and baking, anything cute, trying (and failing!) to learn Asian languages

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:05 AM

kami-sama means god laugh.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Proud Member of the SSS (Suki Suki Sia-chan)
It's all about the pretty boys: Yaoi Anime, Yaoi Manga
Love FSTV? Leave a thanks for the team :)

Forum Rules :: Download FAQ :: My FTV Blog

#22 jul10

jul10

-mokyu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2544 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Aug 01 2006, 09:58 PM)
kami-sama means god laugh.gif

lolz, ohmy.gif I'm a disgraced of anime fans. I really heard that VERY often, but how come i forget it... huh.gif then, the only question left is kikei.... rolleyes.gif
user posted image
Fansub. TV does not deal with licensed anime or Media Factory Inc. Works.
For complete information, please read the Anime Rules

user posted image
user posted image --> Fansub TV Awards #3
user posted image --> Fansub TV Awards #4

#23 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (jul10 @ Aug 01 2006, 10:03 PM)
then, the only question left is kikei.... rolleyes.gif

kikei can mean either a clever sheme, an older brother or a birth defect ....
http://linear.mv.com...&FG=r&BG=b&S=26

So in the current context, I assume it means the second one wink.gif
Follow your dreams, Never give up, Never be afraid,
Always remember, Fortune favors the bolds!

---
You like FTV? Leave a thanks for the team :)
---

Proud developer of the AB Syndicate
user posted image

#24 windfinder

windfinder

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:I have degrees in Math/Computer Science/English<br><br>I read/write, and I watch anime too.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

The difference between dono and sama (as explained to me) is that sama belittles the one who says it and raises the one who is targeted. This is why you see people being "forced" to say sama, and it makes them angry. Dono does not, on the other hand, have this "belittling" factor.
"Your tears are like jewels..."
-DNA²

#25 hamasusuke

hamasusuke

-aniue

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts
  • Interests:gundams

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (windfinder @ Aug 03 2006, 04:15 PM)
The difference between dono and sama (as explained to me) is that sama belittles the one who says it and raises the one who is targeted. This is why you see people being "forced" to say sama, and it makes them angry. Dono does not, on the other hand, have this "belittling" factor.

hmm.... i couldn't tell if that was either told in a singular or just a biased idea..... but i never assumed the belittlement.... that kinda brings up the kouhai/sempai idea up.

hmm... i haven't seen anything related to what you just said... well not in anime at least.
user posted image<--how long have I had this? Time for a change!
user posted image
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.
Don't forget to read the rules <--Addresses all new, old, and recent members
F.A.Q. Page<---- Trouble shoot and Support Section

#26 windfinder

windfinder

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:I have degrees in Math/Computer Science/English<br><br>I read/write, and I watch anime too.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ Aug 04 2006, 01:43 AM)
hmm.... i couldn't tell if that was either told in a singular or just a biased idea..... but i never assumed the belittlement.... that kinda brings up the kouhai/sempai idea up.

It was actually a fansub's groups' note to the viewer, because the jokes they were cracking in the anime weren't funny unless you understood the character's desire NOT too call someone sama. However, I doubt the term belittles the user too much, otherwise it wouldn't be used so much in common speech (my basis for which is anime).
I equate it to calling someone your lord in a society where there aren't lords. (both in meaning, and in resultant social position in terms of language. AKA: Calling someone your "lord" today shows an anachronistic and demeaning relationship in a society that (generally) values equality.
"Your tears are like jewels..."
-DNA²

#27 Byproduct

Byproduct

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Location:Illinois, United States, Somewhere kinda really south of chicago
  • Interests:In a word, Graphic<br><br>Anything that has to do with the visual art, I am into it most likely. Anime, Manga, Games, Drawing. lets, see. I also do Origami, graphic design and model construction.<br><br>Oh, I'm also big into writing and checking out the latest tunes like/by Foo Fighters, Chevelle, and so on.<br><br>Don't hesistate to ask me for anything that has to do with signatures, avatars and so on. I got free time on my hands as well as photoshop so I'm always eager to get people looking their best, even if I can't for myself. :3

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

I was told in class (by Japanese teachers) that we can romanize it either way. Sometimes it'll sound more like 'm' and others like 'n', but it's the same Japanese character and that's all that matters.

That's very true. Also the pronouncation from what I understand also comes from where one lived. The dialect, I guess is what I'm trying to say. One from the Kanto regon would nomrally use seNpai and near Okinawa seMpai. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter. It's what you're comfotable with.
~Sever your connections to this physical plane and I will take you to the ends of reality~
-- --
new signature image coming soon

#28 alchemist11

alchemist11

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Too Long to Explain. Feel free to email me or contact via IRC.

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

what does sempai mean? that hasn't been explained i think..plus theres a SPAM above...seems from a bot.

#29 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:49 PM

sempai is more of like an elder or a senior (usu. used in a school), but not much older. for example in a school, someone who is an upper classman is often referred as a sempai.

#30 alchemist11

alchemist11

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:38 PM

thanks for the help and the other help too.

#31 Roninnico

Roninnico

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Bold @ Jun 26 2006, 11:45 PM)

But it does not mean that Dono is above Sama. It is preatty much equivalent in politeness, but used un different circumstance.

Sorry just to add to the dono/sama debate, Bold pretty much already said it but i thought i'd elaborate; I believe dono is a phonetic change from the word 'tono' or lord (i.e. Tanaka-dono is Lord Tanaka), where as sama is simply a form of deep respect, so in some cases sama may be higher than dono or sometimes lower and they may even be used interchangebly. Just thought i'd add that smile.gif
user posted image

#32 alchemist11

alchemist11

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

could someone tell me if/whether or to why: Oni-san and Ni-san are the same?

#33 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

i think i may be wrong, but oni-san is more formal, polite and respectful when said while ni-san sounds more casual or "street-talk," but they still mean the same thing regardless.

#34 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Aug 20 2006, 01:31 PM)
i think i may be wrong, but oni-san is more formal, polite and respectful when said while ni-san sounds more casual or "street-talk," but they still mean the same thing regardless.

I think you are corect. ni-san is mostly used by a sibling talking to his older brother directly. oni-san is more respectfull and used to refer to the older when talking ABOUT him to someone else.

---
---

user posted image

#35 hamasusuke

hamasusuke

-aniue

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

yeah, basically it. ni-san would still be used as if you were "real" siblings (the ones that fight once in a while). same thing with ni-sama, only that's as respectul as oni-san, but not quite.

if you want the best example of this being used, they sometimes use it in tsubasa chronicles, where the variance applies to different situations.
user posted image

#36 DarkSkyLady

DarkSkyLady

-moeagaru-loli

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:31 AM

I wanted to know whether you add the -chan, -sama, etc. or do you get them on your name after a certain amount of posts. Cause I want one at the end of mine but i don't think you can alter your name on here. Can someone let me know.
user posted image

Proud Member of the NBP ~*Nana Blogish Posters*~!!
Proud Member of NOHH Night Owls *~Hoot*Hoot~*!!
Proud member of AA ~*Anime Addicts~*!!
Proud member of MSFGFC ~*Manabi Straight Forward Go Fan Clubber*~!!
Proud member- Founder & namer of LCFC ~ "Lovely Complex Fan Clubbers"

#37 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (DarkSkyLady @ Aug 22 2006, 01:24 AM)
I wanted to know whether you add the -chan, -sama, etc. or do you get them on your name after a certain amount of posts. Cause I want one at the end of mine but i don't think you can alter your name on here. Can someone let me know.

Chi, San, Chan, Donoa and Sama are given automticly based on your activity as a member. This is based on the number of posts and a few other factors like length of post, time since joined, number of posts per day, etc

Basicly the systems prevents a super spammer from getting a sama title in a week!

Custom tiltes are also available for older members that have been around for long.

---
---

user posted image

#38 warita200

warita200

-RETIRED-

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Interests:For those who care and would like to contact me at some point, I can be found on Anime-Suki under the user name: warita (only warita without the 200) :)<br><br>The email that I have on FTV wont work, because I changed accounts a few months ago.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

I would like to add something to this ni-san oni-san debate. If you will pay attention carefully, you will notice, that japanese use the O in front of lots of words and it basically shows politeness, good language or something in that way. For example when you ask for tea, you say: Ochaa, not just chaa, because that wouldnt be polite. Japanese use it a lot, when talking in high level Japanese!

What I think is interesting or rather annoying is how the siblings always call each other nee-san/nii-san. I mean, they do have a name, right? If somebody kept calling me nee-san all the time, I would have to strangle him. And another interesting notion is, that in Japanese they dont have a plain word for brother/sister. Either you are nee-san, or imoto..... but there is nothing neutral. Even twins must be distinguished by age. I think that is really weird. blink.gif

#39 hamasusuke

hamasusuke

-aniue

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

true that there is no neutral form for the brother/sister form. however in the traditional form of japanese, they don't always refer to age. they refer to placement in group of people.

Say, for example, you were in trouble most of the time, and i came by and helped you every time, and i'm about the same age as you. Later on you'd try refering me as your "older" brother, or sworn brother in some cases. The reason is because people have the idea of big brothers always being there for them, and that is why the titles have adapted to that type of situation. so in the end, you could be older than i am by 6 months and you'd still call me aniki because i'm always there for you.
user posted image

#40 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
  • Interests:Anime =) - esp fantasy, school comedy, fighting;
    All sorts of metal - including Japanese;
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

Ni-san and Oni-san, as much as I know, are almost the same thing. There is also Onii-chan, which is a reference to an older brother by a younger sister. Also, "Oni" is more often used by females, and "ni" bymales. Which means, guys, if you call your brother "onii-chan", the Japanese will think you're weird laugh.gif
Well, at least this is what I got from anime and chats with one of my Asian friends...
<p>monofood.gif<br><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.animenews...r=Ausdoerrt'>My rarely-updated anime list</a></p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users