Live Action Hollywood Dragonball Movie

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

8GaugeBrett

-chan
Kouhai
Dragon Ball Movie - 2008 Release

I seriously fear that once this movie bombs we will see Hollywood blacklist any scripts that have the words "anime" or "manga" in combination with "adapted from".

sad.gif

I dunno... sounds retarded, but Stephen Chow is producing it. with all his other films, I don't think he would fund a project that he thinks will bomb... ?? We'll see... maybe it's time to start contacting ppl I know inside the industry for more info. lol.

if it's going to be a comedy, might be worth renting or something... but I can't imagine it being a serious film, cause that just wouldn't work.

Anime-style movies haven't been *THAT* bad... Volcano High School was pretty interesting, so was Ultraviolet... both were somewhat anime styled... o_O

QUOTE (8GaugeBrett @ Nov 14 2007, 02:52 AM) Dragon Ball Movie - 2008 Release

I seriously fear that once this movie bombs we will see Hollywood blacklist any scripts that have the words "anime" or "manga" in combination with "adapted from".

sad.gif

My opinion after reading that article is that...it might not be that bad for this live-action version of Dragonball. Although it's taking the concept of Dragonall...but judging from the people involved in this project...this movie is probably going to be more like a sci-fi-ish martial art movie (probably kind of like how the Guyver live-action movies were).

Althought we won't how it is going to result just yet, but I think there should be some pretty decent fighting scenes.

But let's be honest...I think they are smart about making this movie. Because everyone is going to watch it, whether it is to see how good it is, or how badly they are going to mess it up. So it's a win-win situation here I say lmao

I wonder how they'll do the hairstyles.

As we all know, Stephen Chow was a huge fan of the show so i expect a great live action portrayal if not perfect.

I'm a bit, well, I don't know the word. What means sort of leary about a situation but is interested nevertheless.
I'm thinking that a movie based on men that can are all uber strong, everything explodes, and flying cars come from capsuls that explode with the word BOMB in the cloud will do wonders for the fan following. Otherwise we are going to see this movie go the way of catwoman.
People who get it will get it, people that don't won't touch it.
But hey what do I know. The videogame community has been milking that series as if it were a WWII game and still somehow makes money in the end.

When I first heard about this, I lost faith in all things sacred. Remember what happened to Godzilla??? Anyway, now that I read the article that Stephen Chow will be producing this, I'm placated. But no yet entirely convinced. I hope they come up with a really smart script for this. Otherwise, we should all kick Stephen Chow since he claims to be one of the biggest DBZ fans in the entire world.

PS I'm a James Marsters fan from his Buffy days. I'm glad he's playing Piccolo but I'm not sure how it will turn out.

Ironic that the DBZ LA Movie gets made and the LA Evangelion movie gets canned. Funny how that works.
biggrin.gif

I swear... Stephen Chow x Dragonball Z = NOT good XDD

well it might be funny to check (who thinks this will be an all serious movie anyways?) They won't ban every script with anime or anything related.. it's with Sthephen Chow, so all will be fine XD

I still think the DB movie is gonna be a serious action martial movie than a comedy.

I know Stephen Chow are famous for lots of comedy movies...but for Dragonball, I think his amazing imagination (not his humours and jokes) is what make him suitable for producing this. If anyone can come up with ideas for fightings with outrageous crazy effects (i.e. mountains getting splitted, forest getting razed, people flying and energy blast etc), it is Stephen Chow.

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Nov 14 2007, 02:21 PM) I still think the DB movie is gonna be a serious action martial movie than a comedy.

I know Stephen Chow are famous for lots of comedy movies...but for Dragonball, I think his amazing imagination (not his humours and jokes) is what make him suitable for producing this. If anyone can come up with ideas for fightings with outrageous crazy effects (i.e. mountains getting splitted, forest getting razed, people flying and energy blast etc), it is Stephen Chow.
I think with todays CG technology you can make a pretty decent movie.

I think it would be great if they could do a frieza saga live action movie but you can't because so many charaters would have to already been introduced

On a side note they are doing a live action Avatar the last air bender

At least the special effects will be good. Remember Matrix Revolutions? They had the Z style flight down.

Look at it this way. It can't be worse than the old Chinese Dragonball movie.........I hope.

this might need to be moved to the drama section ^^" sorry for disrupting the discussion but since we have a drama/live action section it should be moved there >.< could a mod be so kinda as to move it?

QUOTE (samthebear @ Nov 15 2007, 12:48 AM) this might need to be moved to the drama section ^^" sorry for disrupting the discussion but since we have a drama/live action section it should be moved there >.< could a mod be so kinda as to move it?
The cool thing about that is if or when this thread is moved to the drama section then I will have made my first post in that section... Just a lil fact thought that I thought would be really unimportant to others but some would read anyways unknowingly... about 8 to 10 seconds you will never get back
tongue.gif

But no seriously, I am always okay with the idea of making a classic anime into a live-action. What really is the harm. Bottom line is if you don't wanna go see it usually their isn't a gun to your head. It would be weird and awkward if it was. Though I think that just the special effects of capturing dragon ball will make this movie a hot one come the fall. They need to do it up real big throw in a ton during the previews to get a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon.

If it were me I would start the plot during the beginning of the dragon ball Z saga. It would be the best place to start the action. I don't think the dragon ball beginning will serve the movie justice. Bottom line is I'll go waste 6-8 bucks and 4 bucks on popcorn to see it. Maybe 3 bucks on some gummies as well... if the mood is right
wink.gif
... it's dragon ball after all might have to splurge a bit
rolleyes.gif

Well... I guess it's just normal that fans of a certain show would get all panicky about remaining faithful to the canon of the anime/manga that they love so much. There are some works where the transition from book/anime/show/whatever to movie was genius like Transformers, Lord of the Rings, etc. But there are some where fan feel like the whole thing has been bastardized just to make millions in one go.

So the real main question here is: since Stephen Chow is producer and a self-proclaimed HE-UGE DBZ fan, would he let the canon of the story be played around with that what we'll end up is an unrecognizeable get of characters, storylines, etc.???

I can only see it starting at the very beginning of dbz. Thus at first we get a view of goku as "simple normal human". And after the encounter with enemy or w/e We get info on hi s past (flashbacks or not) this way, not only the story would be told, but we also would get character background info.

I can't really see them using earlier parts of db. Maybe they will somehow reffer to satan fight in tournament, but thats it.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Nov 14 2007, 09:50 AM) Ooohkay.....First transformers, now Dbz....whats next? Love Hina? X_x
Lord forbid. Although i wouldn't mind seeing who they'd get to play Shinobu!
laugh.gif

QUOTE (biankita @ Nov 15 2007, 09:29 AM) would he let the canon of the story be played around with that what we'll end up is an unrecognizeable get of characters, storylines, etc.???
Dude this is DBZ. What canon?
tongue.gif

Seriously none of the animated DBZ movies really fit in anyplace. Plus there are many changes/discrepancies between Dragonball and DBZ.

Stephen Chow................DBZ Comedy series.....ah I wanna see this....so once again a Japanese original is made into a Chinese motion picture....hey wait...I didn't read all of it....is it gonna be in English or Cantonese ?
rolleyes.gif
Ahhhh...I don't really care.
wink.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Nov 15 2007, 01:12 PM) Stephen Chow................DBZ Comedy series.....ah I wanna see this....so once again a Japanese original is made into a Chinese motion picture....hey wait...I didn't read all of it....is it gonna be in English or Cantonese ?
rolleyes.gif
Ahhhh...I don't really care.
wink.gif

Lmao the return of the whacky post geez I have missed them greatly roflmao... but Hollywood which is in the title usually is related with American/English
tongue.gif
... but somehow I think that was something that didn't really need explaining... but I threw you a bone just in case lmao... Catonese?! ZOMG
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back