28 replies to this topic

#1 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

I want the laptop to display anime properly.

Well I don't know if anyone remember, but my old laptop would mess up bad when displaying anime.

So I sold it for $350 (paid $420, but I did use it for 4 months, whatever)

Now I am going to buy a new Laptop tomorrow after work.

So I was wondering what specs would I need for it to display anime properly, without having to go into powersaving mode and whanot.

The faster the answer, the better. Thanks.^^
user posted image

#2 Primula

Primula

-プリムラ こいびと

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1937 posts
  • Interests:Anime, loli(lol), origami, game, drawing expecailly anime girl, computers, etc... making animated sig
    Girls in anime characteristic that I usually like. Kuudere, Tsundere,& certain unique type

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

Dedicated graphic card and a good cpu....

and good software to allow u to watch it great.

Come check out the Gif Thread

Ecchi Pic 1 Torrent...Torrent Link Ecchi Pic 2 TORRENT!! Torrent Link Ecchi Pic 1-3 YEAH!!!

#3 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

Dedicated Graphics card.

I'm not computer sabby at all, but what's a good graphics card?
user posted image

#4 doomsayer

doomsayer

-Destroyer of Worlds

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1757 posts
  • Interests:You are my master, so tell me what it is that I should like.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:17 AM

Most likely you wont get a laptop with a dedicated GPU (they cost a lot) I would get one that has a nvidia or ati graphics card if you can but a integrated GPU will do just fine if all you are doing is watching anime. Nvidia and ATI do make integrated GPUs but they use system ram unlike dedicated.

So dedicated video cards have there own ram while integrated do not.

So heres what I would get: A cpu of at least 2.2Ghz for a dual core(2Ghz would work too) 1.8Ghz (1.6ghz would work too) for a quad. 2Gb or ram for a 32 bit operating system 3 for a 64 bit OS. At least a 250Gb hard drive. A graphics card that is either Nvidia or ATI (if its integrated add 512Mb of ram) Other than those, personal preference will decide what screen size or optical drive you get or any other thing you want.
user posted image
In this ever changing world I seek only death and destruction, so that this world shall be annihilated along with all the scum and ignorance of the so called human race.
user posted image
user posted image
Claims:
In the name of my master, I claim them all!!! RAWR

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (doomsayer @ Feb 22 2010, 09:17 PM)
Most likely you wont get a laptop with a dedicated GPU (they cost a lot) I would get one that has a nvidia or ati graphics card if you can but a integrated GPU will do just fine if all you are doing is watching anime. Nvidia and ATI do make integrated GPUs but they use system ram unlike dedicated.

So dedicated video cards have there own ram while integrated do not.

So heres what I would get: A cpu of at least 2.2Ghz for a dual core(2Ghz would work too) 1.8Ghz (1.6ghz would work too) for a quad. 2Gb or ram for a 32 bit operating system 3 for a 64 bit OS. At least a 250Gb hard drive. A graphics card that is either Nvidia or ATI (if its integrated add 512Mb of ram) Other than those, personal preference will decide what screen size or optical drive you get or any other thing you want.

Thank you very much.

Would appreciate some more feedback.

#6 noob

noob

±ⁿ°°ɓ±

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Feb 22 2010, 06:51 PM)
Dedicated graphic card and a good cpu....

and good software to allow u to watch it great.

Uh no. It's being used for WATCHING random anime episodes. Now if I recall correctly, you don't need a dedicated gfx card to watch something. My old laptop that I bought 4-5 years ago has enough power to watch anything I want, though I rarely use it since I've got other computers/laptops. A cheap laptop from a store? Just list the ones you're going to buy or want to buy and we'll let you know if they're going to be sufficient for watching anime or not.

______
Have problems with viewing files? Please try downloading CCCP.
I'll save you world! I'm half way done with my anti-stupidity that acts just like anti-biotic! I'll free you someday.

#7 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
  • Interests:Anime =) - esp fantasy, school comedy, fighting;
    All sorts of metal - including Japanese;
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:00 AM

I found that major problems usually occur if the episode resolution is BIGGER than your maximum supported screen resolution.

Other than that, I agree with the point that you don't need a supercomputer to watch anime. Using an appropriate player and codec settings can solve most problems.
<p>monofood.gif<br><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.animenews...r=Ausdoerrt'>My rarely-updated anime list</a></p>

#8 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Feb 22 2010, 09:00 PM)
I found that major problems usually occur if the episode resolution is BIGGER than your maximum supported screen resolution.

This. Particularly if you're trying to play something 720p or 1080p on something that normally outputs this. Of course, a little CoreAVC, Haali, and CCCP can fix this all together now unless you're using one of those 11" monitors, which aren't all that convenient, even for travelling.

However, codecs aside, you will definitely need something that can handle the processing and rendering power from anime. If you only plan on watching xvid/avi encodes, you probably don't need all that much. Heck, I can still play these formats just fine on my old 1ghz 480MB ram laptop that ran on windows XP (don't think I had cccp).

If you plan on playing mkv encodes however, which has essentially become the norm, you will probably need a comp with a cpu of at least 1.5ghz and 2-3gb ram. Most laptops these days have 3-4 gb ram by default and 2ghz cpu so you should be fine, including the lower end laptops. The integrated graphics card on most laptops will be fine for you to play anime if you install the codecs I mentioned above. Unless you plan on playing some of the more recent pc games or streaming anime via PS3 with your computer as a server, you don't need the graphics card (in which case you should just save the money and buy a desktop instead since they're not all that more expensive these days and you often get better hardware).

#9 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:50 AM

^ My experience was: I was using a 13" screen laptop with max. 1280x768 resolution, when the HD anime hit. It could not render 720p properly.
<p>monofood.gif<br><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.animenews...r=Ausdoerrt'>My rarely-updated anime list</a></p>

#10 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts

Sempai in June 2006

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Feb 22 2010, 10:50 PM)
^ My experience was: I was using a 13" screen laptop with max. 1280x768 resolution, when the HD anime hit. It could not render 720p properly.

Probably wasn't screen resolution then. It was probably your cpu, ram, or gpu because I currently have a 14" monitor and outputs 1280x800, but plays them just fine without coreavc (minus heavy typesets)

#11 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Maybe. But the problem was really only with the files that looked bigger than my screen. Maybe low ram, or poorly encoded.

#12 dchaosblade

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2992 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list, but to get a start on it: quotes, reading, writing, anime, games, computers, &amp;c.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

I have a HP netbook (11.6") that runs 1080p HD anime (.mkv) flawlessly >_> It has problems with streaming flash video (like HULU) but seeing as I watch all my anime as downloaded mkv's, I'm good.
That said, the reason the netbook has such good playback is because it has the NVidia ION graphics chip. Most netbooks would die with 1080p video...

My suggestion is to grab a dual-core anything (pretty much all dual cores chips are a decent speed these days) with 2GB of ram minimum. With that, you should be able to do most anime just fine so long as you have decent codecs (CCCP, and maybe throw on CoreAVC for some larger HD video if necessary).
It really depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you plan to use it for other than anime though... I mean, you COULD go out and grab a laptop that has 4-6GB of RAM, quad-core CPU, and a really good Dedicated Graphics Card, but it would cost you a whole hell of a lot more...then again, it would also be able to DO a hell of a lot more (say, play some really pretty games)...
Don't forget, the edit and search buttons are your friend!
user posted image

#13 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Those big ones aren't very transportable though. Basically a desktop replacement.

#14 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

Nah I do gaming in my consoles.

Well here are the news I'm considering right now.

http://www.bestbuy.c...5378u&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.c...635dx&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.c...3&skuId=9705221

Sadly I need to buy ASAP. So much college homeowrk and everything is online. Thank god for work!

Thoughts? Don't really feel like expending more than $600.
user posted image

#15 doomsayer

doomsayer

-Destroyer of Worlds

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Personally I would go with the gateway though I'm not a huge fan of gateway. I have never had any problems with gateway but have heard many bad things, but that could be said about all brands.
user posted image
In this ever changing world I seek only death and destruction, so that this world shall be annihilated along with all the scum and ignorance of the so called human race.
user posted image
user posted image
Claims:

#16 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts

Sempai in June 2006

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:55 AM

HP or the Toshiba would be my preference. The additional issue regarding Gateway for me is that it doesn't come with an Intel core and not to mention that it's not upgradeable if you choose to do so in the future. From my experience, Gateway doesn't last very long when used regularly.
First of all Gateway is the same price as the Toshiba. If anything, you're really just paying for the extra hard drive space and 1 extra gb or ram for the Gateway, which are easily affordable in the long run (not to mention externals) whereas Toshiba has stronger cpu and is a DDR3 over a DDR2. Overall, if you're going to get something that will last you and not have to run into a similar problem for another 2-4 years, I would get the Toshiba. Even if you plan to give up on this prior to that, at least you'll probably still have the Toshiba around whereas the Gateway may have already died tongue.gif

#17 doomsayer

doomsayer

-Destroyer of Worlds

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:25 AM

As far as I can tell the HP and Toshiba are single core, I may be wrong though. Also Intel processors are junk IMO and I would never buy one unless I absolutely had to. Another thing is that for everyday use DDR3 has no advantage over DDR2.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Claims:

#18 oppai-ga-suki

oppai-ga-suki

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2118 posts
  • Interests:anime, computers, sports( fishing, soccer,football), ecchi

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:58 AM

Both my laptop and desktop are Gateway and I'm pretty satisfied with them so far. The only bad thing I can say about the laptop is concerning its battery life which is pure crap. It used to last almost 2 hours and now it struggles to make it past 30 minutes.
It does quite well while playing anime. although I can only confirm it up to 720p not sure about 1080p.
user posted image
Blooming flower, please tell me
Why do people fight and hurt one another ?

#19 langes01x

langes01x

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Besides anime and the occasional manga I like fantasy and sci-fi books, computer games (particularly RPG and RTS) and programming.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (doomsayer @ Feb 23 2010, 10:25 PM)
As far as I can tell the HP and Toshiba are single core, I may be wrong though.  Also Intel processors are junk IMO and I would never buy one unless I absolutely had to.  Another thing is that for everyday use DDR3 has no advantage over DDR2.

Those are in fact dual cores (T4400 > http://ark.intel.com...t.aspx?id=40739) though likely not very high end as they are still running on the 800Mhz connection to the motherboard (scratch that: the 800Mhz speed connection to the motherboard is one of the faster ones available at the moment from Intel). The Gateway's AMD on the other hand (M300 > http://products.amd....ail.aspx?id=583) has a much higher interconnect with the motherboard thought AMD has always had a much higher speed connection to the motherboard as far as I can remember.

Personally if you don't intend to upgrade it (or have it upgraded by someone else) the extra GB of memory and hard drive space could be a big help. If you do want to upgrade it later though the Toshiba would definitely be better as DDR2 is being phased out and so its price will go up significantly soon much as DDR did when DDR2 took over.

As for the speed benefit of DDR3 as compared to DDR2 there is some benefit to having the faster memory. It allows the processor to perform better as it doesn't need to wait for data as long and in general would be of benefit assuming that you would not be doing many things at once. Multitasking requires more ram as it needs access to two or more different data sets simultaneously whereas if you normally do one thing at a time the extra speed that DDR3 has would help more.

Edit:
QUOTE (oppai-ga-suki @ Feb 23 2010, 10:58 PM)
The only bad thing I can say about the laptop is concerning its battery life which is pure crap. It used to last almost 2 hours and now it struggles to make it past 30 minutes.

I actually have a similar problem with my laptop however I have had mine for 4 years now and use it all the time so it is likely that the battery can no longer hold its charge (aka. is now worn out). I would guess that if you have had yours for some time now that you have the same problem. You could check to see if you could buy a replacement battery for it either from the manufacturer or a local shop and that will probably solve the problem for you. Batteries are usually in the range of $50-100.

#20 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

Gateway=Acer.

Just found that out, so I'm sure as hell not getting that.

I know Toshibas are pretty damn reliables in the long, and never owned an HP.

Meh I really need to buy one for College, but I really don't want to go ahead and just waste $500.00 bucks.

>.>

I'll just buy the Toshiba, and hope for the best.

=====================================================

Stupid guess doesn't let me edit the post. Sorry for the double post.

How about any of these Dells?

http://www.bestbuy.c...agetype=listing

Last Dell lasted me for 5 years. Don't want to pay over $700, but anything under is fire as long as it is worth it.
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users