• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dchaosblade

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2992 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list, but to get a start on it: quotes, reading, writing, anime, games, computers, &c.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

Bellow, you will find relatively detailed instructions about how to watch fansubs on a Windows PC. These instructions will help to make sure that all subs appear properly (as in appear at all) with all styles in tact. If you've been watching anime and have trouble distinguishing what lines are being spoken, and what lines are written on the screen, these instructions will likely help. If subs go off screen, look really ugly, or are formatted very badly, it will quite likely be fixed by these instructions.
Note, this will not fix ALL problems! Sometimes, fansubs just don't look good because of the group. Sometimes you will encounter problems due to other reasons, but in general, these instructions WILL help make your fansub watching experience much better.

I suggest you read through all the instructions once before you start following them.

For Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7:
  • Uninstall any codecs or codec packs you already have on your computer, if any. If you haven't installed any, move on to the next step.
  • Download the Combined Community Codec Pack, simply click that link, and then click on 'Download CCCP'.
  • Install the CCCP file that you just downloaded, follow instructions as necessary. When you come to the options, just use the standard setup, don't change anything.
  • Next time you go to watch any anime that is a .mkv file type, right click it, go to Open With -> Choose Default Program
  • In the window that pops up, if Media Player Classic is not listed, click the browse button, then navigate to where you installed CCCP (this is usually something like C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\), then go into the MPC folder and select the appropriate program: mplayerc.exe or something similar. (Note, the programs provided with CCCP have changed recently. I believe Zoom Player is no longer included and they now use MPC-HC)
  • From now on, all .mkv files should automatically open in the appropriate program, and everything should work fine! No more problems with subtitles missing, looking ugly, going off screen, etc (we hope)!
If you have any questions regarding how to do any of the above, if something doesn't work, etc, feel free to post here or PM me.

Edit: A very well written Rant regarding various media players and their many problems (including GOM, VLC, and KMPlayer), as well as a very strong argument for why you should use CCCP. Best yet, it includes pictures and examples of why you should make the switch! Warning, it is long~

Edit: Adjusted instructions - CCCP is now completely compatible directly after install on Windows 7.

Edited by dchaosblade, 14 December 2010 - 06:31 AM.

Don't forget, the edit and search buttons are your friend!
user posted image

#2 snorky2k

snorky2k

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

There is a new fix for running Windows 7 and watching subtitled shows. It works well with the built in Windows Media Center. But, it also fixes VLC and others at the same time with just one install.

I recently installed windows 7 64 bit and ran into problems with playing MKV files with subtitles. After realizing that it was not the files that had a problem, I looked for a solution. I went to major geeks' and found that they have a free solution that allows you to use the new Windows Media Center with all of the bells and whistles and the options of 7 with soft subbed mkv files and others.

If you are running the 64 bit version, you must load the fix for the 32 bit version first. Then run the fix for the 64 bit system which just makes a few additions.

After tweny minutes of relearning how to find and run your videos, you will find a wonderful media package.

the fix is :

http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

or you can get there through www.majorgeeks.com

Once you install this fix it works for all of your video programs with one install so you could run Windows Media Center (7), VLC, or MPC (Media Player Classic) with it.

#3 langes01x

langes01x

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Besides anime and the occasional manga I like fantasy and sci-fi books, computer games (particularly RPG and RTS) and programming.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (snorky2k @ Dec 05 2009, 03:18 PM)
There is a new fix for running Windows 7 and watching subtitled shows.  It works well with the built in Windows Media Center.  But, it also fixes VLC and others at the same time with just one install.

I recently installed windows 7 64 bit and ran into problems with playing MKV files with subtitles.    After realizing that it was not the files that had a problem, I looked for a solution.  I went to major geeks' and found that they have a free solution that allows you to use the new Windows Media Center with all of the bells and whistles and the options of 7 with soft subbed mkv files and others.

If you are running the 64 bit version, you must load the fix for the 32 bit version first.  Then run the fix for the 64 bit system which just makes a few additions.

After tweny minutes of relearning how to find and run your videos, you will find a wonderful media package.

the fix is :

Once you install this fix it works for all of your video programs with one install so you could run Windows Media Center (7), VLC, or MPC (Media Player Classic) with it.

Or better yet don't use Windows Media Player/Center. And wait a sec... a fix that affects VLC that uses its own internal codecs and not the installed ones? I highly doubt it. Not to mention why take 20 minutes to relearn how to watch videos when you can just watch them?

Any other mods opinions on whether he speaks the truth? If not or if the other mods agree I will remove snorky2k's post.

Edit: I feel a sense of deja vu. Wasn't a similar thing posted by the same user before a while ago? At the very least linked to the same site.

#4 dchaosblade

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2992 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list, but to get a start on it: quotes, reading, writing, anime, games, computers, &c.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (snorky2k @ Dec 05 2009, 05:18 PM)
There is a new fix for running Windows 7 and watching subtitled shows. It works well with the built in Windows Media Center. But, it also fixes VLC and others at the same time with just one install.

I recently installed windows 7 64 bit and ran into problems with playing MKV files with subtitles. After realizing that it was not the files that had a problem, I looked for a solution. I went to major geeks' and found that they have a free solution that allows you to use the new Windows Media Center with all of the bells and whistles and the options of 7 with soft subbed mkv files and others.

If you are running the 64 bit version, you must load the fix for the 32 bit version first. Then run the fix for the 64 bit system which just makes a few additions.

the fix is :

Oooorrr...You could just follow the steps I said to follow in the Windows 7 + Subtitles thread...which I linked to in my first post...

It takes about...I don't know...5 seconds? and no relearning? and works perfectly? No extra installations are necessary, and it doesn't matter if you're running 32 or 64 bit...
Yeahhh....

I'm kind of in agreement with langes01x, The post was unnecessary, misleading, and had already been addressed both here and in the linked thread.
Also find it rather unlikely/impossible that it in any way affects VLC (and if it does, you might have other concerns than subtitles afterward...)
user posted image

#5 Matthewop

Matthewop
  • Kouhais
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:54 AM

so informative. while i am still a little confused.. sad.gif

Edited by Matthewop, 14 December 2010 - 05:56 AM.

#6 dchaosblade

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2992 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (Matthewop @ Dec 14 2010, 01:54 AM)
so informative. while i am still a little confused.. sad.gif

What's the problem? I tried to be as clear as possible when writing the instructions, but if you're confused, I'm more than willing to help you out.
user posted image

#7 Harukalover

Harukalover

-CCCP taika

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Anime (Mostly older stuff)<br>Programming<br>Multimedia<br>Classic Rock<br>Trolling forums<br>Being an insensitive jerk and loving every minute of it

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:55 AM

I've been out of the loop going on a year now so unless something crazy happened there should be an easier way to go about this. When the CCCP finishes installing there is an option that you can check that will open the CCCP settings after finishing installation. In there you can setup association for MPC-HC. Easier to do it there then wade through directories in the crappy windows explorer. Plus there won't be any possibility of associating some random MPC you had lying around on your HDD that way.
CCCP Insurgent | Video/Sound Playback FAQ | a4e Sucks |
Do not PM me for playback help, I will not respond. Use the forums to get help instead.

#8 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

~ Random Touhou link finder ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9154 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Touhou, games (be they PC, console, or even traditional biased), Touhou, Meidos, Visual Novels, Touhou, oh and did I mention Touhou lol

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:50 AM

Actually now you have to have the DirectX End User installed before even installing the latest CCCP pack it would seem. By that you'll be asked to hold off to install that before you can install the 10-10-10 pack. If you don't there will be problems with how the codexs are used of course.

Also, another thing for some reason there are two filers that can be problematic if both are active. Those are the H.264/AVC and the DXVA, if both are active then there is a good chance for the subs, video, and/or sound to lag at one point or another.

I'm not sure what can be used to have it where these two filers do not tend to conflict with each other, but that's the only way to not have any problems with it.

- Miko Miko Mode Oni Version

#9 Harukalover

Harukalover

-CCCP taika

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Anime (Mostly older stuff)<br>Programming<br>Multimedia<br>Classic Rock<br>Trolling forums<br>Being an insensitive jerk and loving every minute of it

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Dec 18 2010, 03:50 AM)
Actually now you have to have the DirectX End User installed before even installing the latest CCCP pack it would seem. By that you'll be asked to hold off to install that before you can install the 10-10-10 pack. If you don't there will be problems with how the codexs are used of course.
ffdshow seems to now require those runtimes.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Dec 18 2010, 03:50 AM)
Also, another thing for some reason there are two filers that can be problematic if both are active. Those are the H.264/AVC and the DXVA, if both are active then there is a good chance for the subs, video, and/or sound to lag at one point or another.

I'm not sure what can be used to have it where these two filers do not tend to conflict with each other, but that's the only way to not have any problems with it.
One is taking precedence over the other. Probably DXVA which still seems to be terrible. So just disable the latter and rely on software decoding instead.
Do not PM me for playback help, I will not respond. Use the forums to get help instead.

#10 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

~ Random Touhou link finder ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9154 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Touhou, games (be they PC, console, or even traditional biased), Touhou, Meidos, Visual Novels, Touhou, oh and did I mention Touhou lol

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

Indeed since the DXVA kind of takes the place of the VobSub icon when both are active, so it kind of conficts to the point of where the playback would seem a bit problematic of course.

Although I have no idea why they would have both versions available if some people have no idea what item does what kind of deal though.

- Miko Miko Mode Oni Version

#11 Harukalover

Harukalover

-CCCP taika

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Dec 18 2010, 04:15 PM)
Indeed since the DXVA kind of takes the place of the VobSub icon when both are active, so it kind of conficts to the point of where the playback would seem a bit problematic of course.

Although I have no idea why they would have both versions available if some people have no idea what item does what kind of deal though.

It's because the settings dialog has never been biased toward normal or advanced usage. That's why options like enabling Haali's splitter to split AVI's still exists even though that in almost all cases that would be a really bad idea.

#12 SailorHalley

SailorHalley
  • Kouhais
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

I followed the instructions in the first post, installing the CCCP with default settings, but my subtitles are still half off the screen in Media Player Classic. The text begins printing in the middle of the screen and runs right out the side.

I experienced an identical issue with VLC even before installing CCCP. I know the issue is not the video as it displays properly in PowerDVD player (although a different issue makes this an undesirable player).

Have I failed to initialize a setting properly, or could some aspect of my system be incompatible. (I am running WinXP)

Thanks very much for your time.

#13 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (SailorHalley @ Jan 11 2011, 04:03 PM)
I followed the instructions in the first post, installing the CCCP with default settings, but my subtitles are still half off the screen in Media Player Classic. The text begins printing in the middle of the screen and runs right out the side.

I experienced an identical issue with VLC even before installing CCCP. I know the issue is not the video as it displays properly in PowerDVD player (although a different issue makes this an undesirable player).

Have I failed to initialize a setting properly, or could some aspect of my system be incompatible. (I am running WinXP)

Thanks very much for your time.

This sound's more like a typesetting issue.
You could try changing the font size/alignment of the subs directly through CCCP's VOBSUB if the subs are soft but if they're hard, then it's the typesetter's fault for whoever released the episode and there's not much you can do about that on your end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users