8 replies to this topic

#1 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:47 AM

This thread is intended to give answer for all the common Playback questions. It will be structured with one question and answer per post.

If your question is not here (have you tried the search function at the top of the page?), see the "Video/Sound Playback Questions" thread ( http://boards.fansub...hp?showtopic=11 ) and post over there. Any good questions and answers from that thread will be copied here for future reference.

I will add more items when I have more time and when interesting questions come to my attention.
If you think a post in another thread should be here, just PM me the link.
If you would like to write a part of this FAQ, just post your article in a thread on this forum and PM me the link. I will move your article in here (you will be credited for your work, dont worry!). Please try to follow the same formatting I do. wink.gif
Follow your dreams, Never give up, Never be afraid,
Always remember, Fortune favors the bolds!

---
You like FTV? Leave a thanks for the team :)
---

Proud developer of the AB Syndicate
user posted image

#2 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:06 AM

Question
I can see Video but no sound, video is reversed, no video at all?

Answer
You are probably missing a codec, to see what codec a file uses :
- GSpot for avi, ogm : http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
- Avi Codec for avi, ogm : http://avicodec.duby.info/
- MatroskaDiag for mkv : http://www.matroska....ds/windows.html

---
---

user posted image

#3 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

Question
What is a codec?

Answer
A codec is a “decoder” for a specific multimedia file. For example, an mp3 file is just a series of 1 and 0. To turn it into sound you can hear, a codec is necessary. The same is true for video.

Each type of encoding (XviD. DivX, MP3, OGG, etc) requires a codec that can handle it.

---
---

user posted image

#4 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:31 AM

Question
Where can I find the right codec?

Answer
This is a tricky question.

The first think to be aware. Do NOT download and installed all the codec packs out there. This is the best way to mess up your installation really bad. The general rule of thumb for codecs is : the fewer you have, the better.

That might seem as a paradox, but there is a really good reason. Each codec is responsible to "announce” what type of encoding it can decode. Many codec software actually decode multiple type of encoding (for example, the official DivX codec also decodes XviD, but they are totally different). The problem is, Windows will only use the first codec it finds. There is no way for the user to easily control the codec used on a particular file or type of file.

So having 5 codecs to decode DivX, is useless. Plus, be aware that some codec software, wrongfully report they can decode a type of encoding.

I would recommend a complete and single codec pack. Find one you trust and stick with it. Personally, I would highly recommend CCCP codec filter pack: http://cccp-project.net/. It can decode almost every anime out there.

---
If you really know what you are doing, you can also download the codecs individually. Here is a quick list of the most famous ones. This approach is not recommended except for experts. Regular users should use CCCP as described above.
Video
- FFDShow Multi-encoding open source codec. This one can decode almost any video or audio encoding. http://ffdshow.sourc...ew_articles.php
- Official DivX codec. Official codec. It work reasonably good. But there are better ones out there

Audio
- Ogg the audio used in ogm files
- AC3Filter audio codec
- Real Alternative a free replacement to real network’s realPlayer. http://www.codecguid.../about_real.htm (allows to play rmvb/rm files in any player)

---
---

user posted image

#5 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:36 AM

Question
Can CCCP work with WinAmp?

Answer
Yes, but not officially. So there is no support for this. I would not recommend it unless you know what you are doing with codecs or are willing to learn alot.
My personal experience is:
- It works perfectly with AVI
- Reasonably well with OGM (with some configuring)
- Does not support MKV

Note that for some reason, some DivX and XviD files refuse to play in Winamp using FFDShow. Using the official DivX can get you passed that difficulty.

---
---

user posted image

#6 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:38 AM

Question
How can I extract video/audio, edit my video/audio file, etc

Answer
Try to look at http://www.videohelp.com/ for all of your video/audio encoding, re-encoding needs.

It is one of the best resource out there!
Plus they have links to all sorts of free tools.

---
---

user posted image

#7 noob

noob

±ⁿ°°ɓ±

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3701 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

QUESTION

I'm using MAC and don't know what program to use! I just can't play anything on my computer!! What in the world am I supposed to do?

ANSWER

VLC is your cure, http://www.videolan.org If you need anymore help.

For more information please refer to this thread

http://boards.fansub...t=0

______
Have problems with viewing files? Please try downloading CCCP.
I'll save you world! I'm half way done with my anti-stupidity that acts just like anti-biotic! I'll free you someday.

#8 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

Question

How do I play video files with extensions .mkv, .avi, .mp4, divx files, h264 type files, etc...? I've tried Media Player Classic, Realplayer, Winamp, but none of them work.

Answer

Download CCCP from here . Be sure to open up the files you'd like to view using the mpc/zoomplayer which, both come with the cccp. I'd strongly recommend using mpc. It can be found at
CODE
x:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\MPC

Where as x is the drive in which, your windows has been installed on.

Also, you're more than welcome to try downloading VLC Media Player and that can be found here: http://www.videolan.org

Update Feb 19 2007.

Edited by noob, 19 February 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#9 Harukalover

Harukalover

-CCCP taika

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Anime (Mostly older stuff)<br>Programming<br>Multimedia<br>Classic Rock<br>Trolling forums<br>Being an insensitive jerk and loving every minute of it

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

CCCP Insurgent FAQ

WARNING: Before using the Insurgent read through this FAQ first and only use the Standard mode of the insurgent unless specified to switch to the Advanced mode. Misuse of the features in the Advanced mode can break your directshow environment. If anyone advises using Advanced features; only follow this advice if it is from a CCCP staff/representative member.

Index
1. Where to download the insurgent?
2. What is the insurgent for?
3. Basic usage.
4. Further references.

1. Where to download the Insurgent?

You can obtain the Insurgent from the CCCP site here.

2. What is the Insurgent for?

The Insurgent is a tool developed by the CCCP staff in order to diagnose playback problems. It is mostly for us to be able to obtain the appropriate info we need to solve a problem. But it also has it's own uses for regular users.

3. Basic usage.

In the Insurgent you have a multitude of features. They are Test Render, CRC Check, Media Information, System Information, CCCP Status, and finally Save Log.

We will only cover the features you must do before posting. Do it in the order they appear.

A. CRC Check
Function: This feature opens a media file and calculates the CRC it has. A CRC is a way to determine if a file is corrupt or not. This feature is only useful if you have info on the CRC the file had pre-distribution.

Usage: Go to Tools --> CRC Check. The Insurgent will prompt you to pick a media file. Pick the file you want to check and then compare it to the CRC in the filename or in a .nfo file that came with the video. If no CRC was provided then this feature is useless and you may skip it.

B. Test Render
Function: This feature tries to play a video/audio file and gives a full listing of the filters used to decode the file chosen.

Usage: Go to Tools --> Test Render. The Insurgent will prompt you to pick a media file. Pick the file you want to check and then click on OK once it is completed.
If for some reason you get an error report the error to CCCP staff.

C. Save Log
Function: Saves a log containing all the info you were given with the Test Render and any other features you used. Also adds in your directshow environment info.

Usage: Go to File --> Save log. Open the log you save and post it in your topic you make with the playback problem.

4. Further references.

Mostly technical stuff and not needed to be read by those just looking to solve their playback problem.

CRC Info

CCCP Website

Directshow Error Codes

CCCP IRC channel is: #[email protected]
CCCP Insurgent | Video/Sound Playback FAQ | a4e Sucks |
Do not PM me for playback help, I will not respond. Use the forums to get help instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users