.mkv files on a video dvd?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaru

-chi
Kouhai
Hi there.

I have a TV DVD player at my parents house, and I was wondering if you guys could help me with this problem.

Most of my video DVDs have .mkv format videos on them, so I'm not sure if the DVD player will work with those.
I asked my dad on the phone the other day about what formats the DVD player supports, but rather than the video extentions, on the box it said it supports encoding types (?) such as divx. I'm not very experienced about these things, so I was wondering what he should look for to indicate that it will play .mkv files?

Or would I be better off just somehow converting them to normal .avi files, which the DVD player has played before, and write new DVDs?

This whole thing is rather confusing to me.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

I dont know about the mkv for the dvd players... I dont even know how can dvd player will play a data disc with avi files on it o_O... but if you want to change them to avi google this program.

alltoavi <----name look like it not real well to me but it real I tested it and it work great got some Shuffle! Memories ep I wanted in avi =D

There is no mkv support on any DVD players.

Convert to DivX/XviD avi based on the standards it tells you to. (likely in avi or maybe mp4)

Or make an actual DVD based on DVD specs. (MPEG-2)

Alltoavi - I can't say whether that's a full solution. Never tested nor do I not doubt that it would fail to certain files. (VFR content)

QUOTE I dont know about the mkv for the dvd players... I dont even know how can dvd player will play a data disc with avi files on it o_O...

Really? DVD players like that are pretty common in my country.

QUOTE There is no mkv support on any DVD players.

That kind of sucks.

Well, thanks guys, I'll give Alltoavi a try.

You know I've pondering about what to do with my Code Geass episodes...that are all in mky format and have been wanting to make into avi for a whil but if this "alltoavi" could do it...then CODE GEASS on TV......yippee...I'm gonna try it out now and see if it works.
laugh.gif

Also does mp4 play on a DivX-compatiable DVD player ????
rolleyes.gif

DVD players won't support MKV's for some time, the format is more advanced and complex then they will want for some time (the secessor to HD/blu-ray might support them)
part of this due to the soft subs aviable for MKV's, far more advanced then is aviable for DVD/HD/Blu-ray, they won't support

I just slapped together a bunch of old parts laying around and slammed them into a drawer of my entertainment center.

80gb HDD - Just the OS
MATX K8m800 soket 939
Processor form my old old PC, an Athlon XP 1200+ I think
Old ram, 512M
Old Geforce 4 with Svideo
and !!GASP!! keyboard and wireless mouse.

Its all shoved in one of the entertainment centers cubbys, with sheets of comuter paper insulating the parts. It connects to my server (or your desktop) or the internet through my router. It is worthless for anything else, but it plays stuff mighty well!

Try to look for a converter would be the easiest way to fix the problem. Something like NeroVision Express or a good program like that may be able to convert although I'm not sure whether it can convert .mkv files.
Hope that helps best of luck.

Nero does not support MKV files. Nor to my knowledge does it support the OGM container. There are many converters out there that support both of these types. I think Videora and Xilisoft make the most popular ones. The one I've been using recently is MediaCoder. It is really really detailed though and requires you to set a lot of things by hand that others might not but it supports everything and has a couple of presets for PSP/IPOD/etc.

As of this moment there is no DVD player support for MKV. Probably won't be any for quite a while since companies are naturally stupid and tend to not catch on to popular trends all that fast.

Topic looks old, but I'll reply anyway.

I've never seen a standalone DVD player that can play .mkv files outright, only DivX.

I can give you a quick tutorial on how to turn .mvk files with softsubs into DVD files directly, softsubbed or hard without turning them into AVI files if you're interested.

BTW, Nero 8 can support .mkv files, it's just a matter of right codecs. Tried and tested.

I'll be making a guide for those who want to watch their downloaded anime on DVD players.

From reading up on peoples comments i see that you cant play mkv files on any dvd player, even hd players. so when you say convert it to dvd, is this not just going to lower the quality in picture. i have a few mkv movies that are 7gb, and if i even convert them to avi the picture wont be anywhere near as good. maybe im wrong but could anyone tell me if im right in saying this.
many thanks.

QUOTE (styler @ Jan 17 2008, 11:26 AM)From reading up on peoples comments i see that you cant play mkv files on any dvd player, even hd players. so when you say convert it to dvd, is this not just going to lower the quality in picture. i have a few mkv movies that are 7gb, and if i even convert them to avi the picture wont be anywhere near as good. maybe im wrong but could anyone tell me if im right in saying this.
many thanks.
7GB is huge for a movie. Most movies that you download are around 700MB - 1.5GB or basically 1-2CDs. I guess the quality after conversion depends on what sort of compression you use, how much you compress it and what the file size ends up being. That being said it is possible to convert that movie into another format without losing any (or at least not a noticeable amount of) quality. This all sort of depends on the resolution of the movie and how sensitive you are to changes in quality.

Basically any conversion will inevitably lose some of the quality of the movie but how much quality is lost is dependent on what settings you use when converting it. If you convert the video to a low bitrate and only do 1 pass on it the quality will most likely drop dramatically. If you use a higher bitrate (thus taking up more space than a lower bitrate) and do 2/3 passes (yes there are actually converters that can do 3 passes) the quality may stay quite similar to what it was originally.

Also if the MKV contains XVID or DIVX video then you don't really need to convert the video but just copy the video to an AVI container thus allowing 0 drop in video quality. And no I'm not saying to rename the MKV to AVI. That will NOT work.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Jan 17 2008, 02:07 PM) Basically any conversion will inevitably lose some of the quality of the movie but how much quality is lost is dependent Also if the MKV contains XVID or DIVX video then you don't really need to convert the video but just copy the video to an AVI container thus allowing 0 drop in video quality. And no I'm not saying to rename the MKV to AVI. That will NOT work.
Just a question, how do I find out if an MKV file has XVID or DIVX??? I mean, I see them in when I download the .torrent files on the sites I download them from, but I delete them as soon as the downloads are complete. Not all the file names have those on the title. Is there any properties settings I have to look out for???

Just another question, if I burn the MKV files on DVD format? Will I have a hard time doing that, especially with the subs. Or will it be best to just convert everything to avi first???

just demux it, then you will most likely be able to figure out what the format is when you multiplex it again, most multiplexers automatically detect video and audio types

If you dont want to deal with the hassle of multiplexing and demultiplexing, River Past has a converter called Video Cleaner Pro that converts .mkv to .avi well once you set the settings correctly. You dont lose any quality either.

You may use ConvertXtoDVD to convert your mkv movies to DVDs and watch them anywhere. It will typically shrink a 4.3 GB mkv movie to about half the size during conversion before burning, but the quality of the movie on the resultant DVD is still very very good - better than those of 700 MB or 1.4 GB you download.

And using ConvertXtoDVD is as easy as ABC.

Do NOT double post. Use the EDIT button next time.
lol well, non-members cant edit...

What, has nobody on this forum heard of WINAVI? it works perfectly, it can convert a whole series of 13 epsiodes onto 1 dvd disc with great quality! don't beleive me? well i have 4 differnt DVDs i made ussing WINAVI and DVD-lab Pro on [removed].

Hope that helps.

CXB DVD to MKV Converter is powerful and easy-to-use DVD to MKV(Matroska Video) software, It can help you converter DVD to MKV format with quickly and high quality.

If you want to convert only the outstanding part of the DVD, you can preview it with the built-in player and then set up a start time and end time. Then CXB DVD to MKV Converter will convert only the customized part not the entire video. With CXB DVD to MKV Converter's cute and easy-to-use interface, you will have a good mood when you are at work. Download and try it now, the best choice you've ever had.

Do it the easy way. Just hook up the DVI to the LCD and use the audio output of your computer/Optical out if you have a surround sound system.

Yes your kind of correct in assuming that if you want the QUALITY, your not going to get it from converting it down to DVD.

DVD simply can't handle the screen size/resolution.
That is why many people have modified X-Boxes.

I am hoping that .mkv MAY be introduced to Sony Playstation 3.
It would be about the only thing that might be capable.

For myself, I bought a DVI-HDMI converter plug ($8)

I have a Yamaha Surround Sound System capable of 7.1 surround sound.
So HDMI to the LCD, and optical to the amp, and I lost nothing!
Great quality on the LCD, NO LOSS!.

That's the way it is until we get a standalone player!!.
Computer in the same room as the LCD.

Just a note, Nero had NO TROUBLE with the Quicktime H246 codec.
That was in 1080p. Not enough of it around though.
Look at the Apple HD Gallery.

It is just the mkv files that give so much trouble.

Regards the Wolfie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back