Asura Cryin' and XBMC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shark0807

shark0807
  • Kouhais
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:33 AM

I had recently downloaded episode 1 of Asura Cryin' when I ran into a peculiar issue involving XBMC. It would appear that some of the characters in the subtitles are not rendering, and instead I am getting a square in the place of some letters and characters. I had checked with other anime I have installed that are also in .mkv format, and could not reproduce the problem, and, interestingly enough, VLC plays the .mkv perfectly and the subtitles work just fine.

XBMC is a favorite of mine and is a relatively light weight media player that can support a multitude of formats, as well as aggregate them all into a cool, customizable GUI interface, and for future viewing I would love for it to work fine.

I am assuming there is an issue with calling the characters for that subtitle's font, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue and if they had found a fix? I am currently in the process of reinstalling XBMC to see if that solves the problem.

At the time of this post I was using the latest XBMC Dharma full version on Windows 7 64-bit, and not a nightly build.

Edit: After uninstalling and reinstalling XBMC I still experience the same issue. It would appear XBMC just does not like the font used for the subtitle.

Edited by shark0807, 20 March 2011 - 03:57 AM.

#2 doomsayer

doomsayer

-Destroyer of Worlds

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1757 posts
  • Interests:You are my master, so tell me what it is that I should like.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

As far as I can tell XBMC doesn't use unicode fonts up front, you will have to change it to a unicode supported font. Since I don't use XBMC I can't say how to do this, some examples I have found people have just copied the arial unicode(or other unicode supporting font) font to the font folder of XBMC and changed the XBMC skin to use that font. If you need more help just google "xbmc and unicode font support" or something like that. Hope this helps.
user posted image
In this ever changing world I seek only death and destruction, so that this world shall be annihilated along with all the scum and ignorance of the so called human race.
user posted image
user posted image
Claims:
In the name of my master, I claim them all!!! RAWR

#3 shark0807

shark0807
  • Kouhais
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (doomsayer @ Mar 20 2011, 12:22 AM)
As far as I can tell XBMC doesn't use unicode fonts up front, you will have to change it to a unicode supported font.  Since I don't use XBMC I can't say how to do this, some examples I have found people have just copied the arial unicode(or other unicode supporting font) font to the font folder of XBMC and changed the XBMC skin to use that font.  If you need more help just google "xbmc and unicode font support"  or something like that.  Hope this helps.

Finding the solution is proving to be very tedious, but at least I have a place to start. I am trying to discover just what font the fansub team used for this anime, but it is becoming exceedingly difficult to discover, especially since they apparently do not have a website of their own. If I discover a solution I will be sure to post my results here.

Edit: The important thing is I am learning, for Asura Cryin' specifically, it would appear that XBMC does have difficulty with ass type subtitles, and in this case perhaps specifically the Shrewsbury font.

Edited by shark0807, 21 March 2011 - 03:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users