Android phones

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

obsan

-chan
Kouhai
I recently bought an Android having the need to replace my old phone (plus the iPhone isn't available where I live) and have been cruising through the various apps they provide in the "Market." Wow there's a bunch of them.

So I'm curious: Anyone here have a phone with the Android OS? And if you do what types of apps do you find enjoyable (ie games) or useful for you?

Right now I've been testing a few free ones like to check weather, the Dolphin browser and the text to voice app that integrates with Google maps for driving directions.

I do have an android based phone, the Samsung Captivate. Overall I like the user interface, although I believe the key is in home screen widgets. I transitioned over from Windows Mobile, and I can say that both platforms enjoy an open application development cycle.

Google Sky Map is pretty awesome if you have any sort of fascination with stars. It uses your phone positioning and orientation to show you constellations in the sky. Another decent one is Google Goggles. You can take pictures of stuff like landmarks, barcodes, packaging, street signs, etc, and it will look them up on your phone.

For non-google stuff, I Have Sudoku, Minesweeper, & Texas Hold'em installed for random bits of boredom, and frequently use Pandora & Sirius for music (have to pay for Sirius but I already have a subscription for my car). Also, NFL mobile is getting a lot of use lately as I have football fever. For weather I just use the weather channel widget on my homescreen. Its very functional but likes to put weather alerts for stupid stuff like heat waves & high winds in the top bar which can be annoying. Makes you ignore the important ones.

Last but not least, I use the nav in my car with the dock, but as a tip, turn off GPS when you aren't using it. It sucks up the battery pretty badly. You should have a bar or widget installed that lets you put it on the homescreen and flick it on and off as needed. The difference in battery life for me is 1 day with GPS on and 3 days with GPS off, with moderate usage in both cases.

QUOTE (wedora @ Aug 26 2010, 07:23 PM) Also, NFL mobile is getting a lot of use lately as I have football fever.
NFL modile ...bejewel demo,... nascar,.... basicly most stock app is gone from my phone =P and i got wifi tethering XD

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back