Internet Speed

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What is your Download Speed?

• 0-5 Mb/s (0-5,000 kbps)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10 Mb/s (5,000-10,000 kbps)

• 10-15 Mb/s (10,000-15,000 kbps)

• 15-20 Mb/s (15,000-20,000 kbps)

• 20-30 Mb/s (20,000-30,000 kbps)

• 30-40 Mb/s (30,000-40,000 kbps)

• 40-50 Mb/s (40,000-50,000 kbps)

• 50-60 Mb/s (50,000-60,000 kbps)

• 60-70 Mb/s (60,000-70,000 kbps)

• 70-80 Mb/s (70,000-80,000 kbps)

• 80-90 Mb/s (80,000-90,000 kbps)

• 90-100 Mb/s (90,000-100,000 kbps)

• 100+ Mb/s (100,000+ kbps)

• Total voters

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos
Retired
So, I thought we should all compare our internet speeds! See where you stand in the big picture: Are you super-fast, or slower than a snail?

Check your speed using Speedtest.net or Speakeasy's speedtest (I personally prefer speedtest.net b/c of it's handy way to post your results, but speakeasy might have a server closer to you for better results).

Put your answer in the poll and either display or tell your results in a post.

Mine is below:

If you use Speedtest.net, after you get your results, there will be a button that says "copy forum link", click that and paste into your post for an image like mine above.

Make sure that when you test your speed, you do not have anything using net resources! This means no downloads, uploads, torrents, websites loading, etc. If you have stuff running, it may alter your results (make it appear lower).
Also, if you are running wirelessly, keep in mind that a direct connection will usually up your speed considerably.
If you are sharing internet with others, your speed will usually be higher if you are the only one on (else they might be hogging up bandwidth).

If you notice your ping to be somewhat high (say...above 80?), see if there's a server closer to you, it may give better results. If there isn't, check the alternate site I gave, they may have a closer server for you to test on.

Finally, keep in mind that displayed results are in Kb or Mb per second, not KB or MB. To find the speed in KB or MB (which is what is usually displayed as your speed when downloading something), divide the speed shown by 8.
For example, my displayed speeds are 94Mb/s Down and 1.5Mb/s Up. This corresponds to 11.75MB/s Down and 192KB/s Up.

I think i qaulify for slower than a snail.
550099161.png
Also i tried to post in the poll but clicked the wrong button and ended veing results as null vote.

Edit updated due to the first one was wrong. The ping on the first was weird aparently so i tried a server in the UK instead of the reccomended one in ireland.

Edit 2, sorry for this but my readings were weird, i think it was because my mums laptop was downloading an update.

This is my result... I guess being at home means that it's okay because I don't have to share with too many people... just pops and mom once in a while. Funny... I only DL to my knowledge... at barely 500K... >_>;

I think I'm the new leader in slowest interwebs for now.

I'm disappointed, especially after reading that NJ has the 3rd fastest average broadband in the US.

I'll have to check again in a 1.5 weeks when I'm back in Boston at school and see how fast the university connection is.

Yeah, my displayed speed is from school. That said, I'm living in a Frat house (Boarder, not a member) here, so that's my speed every day all day until I go home for vacations.

Well, here are my results. Verizon Fios is awsome, Im currently using the fios plan with the lowest up and down speeds. There is a 50 Mb down, 10 Mb up speed plan.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Aug 27 2009, 03:38 PM)Yeah, my displayed speed is from school.  That said, I'm living in a Frat house (Boarder, not a member) here, so that's my speed every day all day until I go home for vacations.

This is kind of a stupid question but do you get all 94Mb when you download or do you have to share that with the rest of the school?

It might be worth mentioning in your first post DC, telling people to stop all downloads and do the test so they get an accurate reading. (Especially since this noob here didnt check Xd) Also sorry langes.

QUOTE (oppai-ga-suki @ Aug 27 2009, 04:46 PM) This is kind of a stupid question but do you get all 94Mb when you download or do you have to share that with the rest of the school?
When downloading from outside servers, my speeds tend to run somewhere between 1-7 MB/s. When I'm downloading from w/in my school's network, I hit somewhere in the range of 7-11 MB/s (so far as I've noticed). Always forget how things work (between Kb, KB, Mb, and MB), but yeah.
Either way, the results you get (and thus those shown for me) are those that YOU use, not total bandwidth. As such, if you are sharing bandwidth with someone, your results will be lower while they're doing stuff on the network...

My uni is known to have one of the fastest networks in the world though, so...

Edit: Checked real quick, 11MB/s is roughly equivalent to 88Mb/s. So yeah, that 94Mb/s speed is all mine. 94Mb/s is roughly 11.75MB/s

Edit 2: @Shini, I edited my first post with some clues as to how to obtain the best results.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Aug 27 2009, 01:54 PM) Edit: Checked real quick, 11MB/s is roughly equivalent to 88Mb/s. So yeah, that 94Mb/s speed is all mine. 94Mb/s is roughly 11.75MB/s
To go from b to B you just divide by 8 so these numbers must be divided by 8 to see the "real" speed that we can get in a download. For some reason speed is always measured in bits not bytes.

Aye, I know, see my OP, explains it all =P The whole "Edit" thing that you quoted kinda gave away that I knew how to convert between the two too...

The reason ISP's always display in Mb/s is for marketing. You can make things sound a lot faster when you say
"Up to 10Mb/s download speeds!"
instead of
"Up to 1.25MB/s download speed!"

Further, the majority of people don't know the difference between the two (or even that there IS a difference), so they get more people to hop on. Those people that know will go with whoever they want anyway - the goal is the mass market, not the niche.

Ok, an update on my interwebs. Completely forgot I had azureus running the last time I did it, so I ran the test again and got much better results this time around.

Now that's more like it. Even running on a wireless so it may go higher if I direct connect, but I'm too lazy to go connect my laptop to try it.

Muwahahaha, so I jump from worst to best (excluding dchaos and his cheating Georgia Tech connection, lol).

I was thinking of starting this thread back when I had satellite.XD

I have the worst connection, but I have unlimited data usage FTW. XD

Here is mine on speedtest.net:

And here it is at myspeed.visualware.com:

I used two separate sites since speedtest.net never has the correct upload because their downstream is always congested.

QUOTE (destroyah @ Aug 27 2009, 10:28 PM) I used two separate sites since speedtest.net never has the correct upload because their downstream is always congested.
Iunno, my upload rate is measured at just around 1.5Mb/s (give or take 100Kb/s) no matter who I test through, including your myspeed.visualware.com site.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Aug 27 2009, 07:42 PM)
Iunno, my upload rate is measured at just around 1.5Mb/s (give or take 100Kb/s) no matter who I test through, including your myspeed.visualware.com site.

I think that has to do with not pushing their downstream connection. I remember back when I had the 15/15 symmetrical plan it would show both directions as 14.8/14.8 there abouts. Then I upgraded to 20/20 and could not hit 20 upload on their site, but others, namely dslreports.com and myspeed.visualware.com and all those local NDT sites showed 23.8. Now since switching to 25/15, and this takes into account that it is really supposed to be 25/25 with Verizon's extra fluff thrown in, I'm seeing 25.8/28.8 peak at every other java based speedtest, with speedtest.net's flash based speedtest still having upload problems.

Sorry if it's so technical, but it basically has to do with congestion problems and/or bandwidth problems on their end.

QUOTE (samthebear @ Aug 27 2009, 10:51 PM) wow. mine is slow.

That looks wrong. Your upload is less than 4% of your download speed. That is definitely not normal. Most other people posting have an upload rate of about 8-10% of their download speed. Then again that may be how Sydney's internet works. I don't know.

Also it's not especially slow at all other than your upload.

mine 9 mbs its kinda stupid

yeah langes i am same mate i am from sydney and that how i was promised to get upgrade to ones that goes 15,000kbs

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back