Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Chaika - The Coffin Princess
Japanese: 棺姫のチャイカ
Airing date: 9/4/2014 (TV series 12 episodes), 2/10/2014 (2nd cour) and March 2015 (OVA)
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance
Original creator: Ichirō Sakaki
Original character designer: Namaniku ATK
Director: Soichi Masui
Written by: Touko Machida
Music by: Seikou Nagaoka
Character designer: Nobuhiro Arai
Assistant director: Takahiro Komori
Chief animation directors: Masahiro Suwa and Nobuhiro Arai
Art director: Kōji Okamoto
Sound director: Masafumi Mima
Director of photography: Hikaru Fukuda
Art setting: Kazushige Kanehira
Color design by: Reiko Iwasawa
Concept mechanical design by: Fumihiro Katagai
Monster design by: Takuhito Kusanagi
Prop design by: Ryō Hirata
Editing by: Masahiro Goto
Studio: Bones
Network: Tokyo MX, SUN, TVQ, CTC, TVS, GBS, MTV, tvk, BS11
Opening theme: "DARAKENA" by Iori Nomizu
Ending theme: "Kairaku Genri (快楽原理 Pleasure Theory)" by coffin princess (Chika Anzai and Yui Makino)

Main cast: Chaika Trabant (チャイカトラバント) voiced by Chika Anzai
Tōru Acura (トールアキュラ) voiced by Junji Majima
Akari Acura (アカリアキュラ) voiced by Yuko Hara
TV PV:
Fredrika (フレドリカ) voiced by Chiwa Saitō
Chaika Bohdan (チャイカ・ボフダーン) voiced by Saeko Zōgō

Kleeman Agency: Albéric Gillette (アルベリック・ジレット) voiced by Yoshimasa Hosoya
Vivi Holopainen (ヴィヴィ・ホロパイネン) voiced by Iori Nomizu
Zita Brusasco (ズィータ・ブルザスコ) voiced by Yumeha Kōda

Matheus Callaway (マテウス・キャラウェイ) voiced by Shuuta Morishima
Nikolai Avtotor (ニコライ・アフトトル) voiced by Kensuke Satō
Leonardo Stola (レオナルド・ストーラ) voiced by Kazutomi Yamamoto
Conrad Steinmetz (コンラート・シュタインメッツ) voiced by Tetsuo Kaneo
Karen Bombardier (カレン・ボンバルディア) voiced by Naomi Ozora
Eight Heroes: Robert Abarth (ロベルト・アバルト) voiced by Takaya Hashi
Dominica Skoda (ドミニカ・スコダ) voiced by Chiwa Saitō
Simon Scania (シモン・スカニア) voiced by Hiroyuki Kinoshita
Red Chaika's group: Selma Kenworth (セルマ・ケンワース) voiced by Sarah Emi Bridcutt
David (ダヴィード) voiced by Noriyoshi Katsunuma
Supporting cast: Guy (ギイ) voiced by Ayumu Murase
Layla (レイラ) voiced by Yui Makino
Official website and manga site: http://chaika-anime.jp/

Synopsis: Toru Acura is a 20-year-old retired soldier meandering through life now that the war has ended. He encounters Chaika Trabant, a 14-year-old sorceress carrying a coffin, and follows her in hopes of finding meaning to his life again. The two travel with Toru’s adopted sister, Akari, the employed member of the group and thus Toru’s source of income.

QUOTE (Norren @ Feb 28 2014, 02:54 AM)Kind of an odd, seven years ago last week medieval RPG fantasy story where the timeline doesn't make sense but everything else is neat.here goes another new series with a hime-sama antithesis in a fantasy setting, but she talks like a caveman in a cute way ^^ cool OP and ED; Ex low -PS 6/10

I used to read this one's manga, sadly i cant share a first impresion yet. Im soooo busy lately i still have only watched half this season's first episodes, havent even touched Chaika's ep 1, but if its even half as good as the manga then i recommend it.

Main character is a bit meh since its one of those OP from start kind of main character but the script as a whole is good, so its a thumbs up.

Hitsugi no chaika

I enjoy the animation, may not be the best but it has a sort of nostalgia around it for some reason.
The plot is mysterious, but also very predictable, if you are known with such anime as this one.

Overall: It has a lot of ways it can grow, the plot is average, but, it does has a intriguing force around it. which will make me keep watching it.

QUOTE (Klyern @ Apr 17 2014, 07:22 AM)havent even touched Chaika's ep 1, but if its even half as good as the manga then i recommend it.

Main character is a bit meh since its one of those OP from start kind of main character but the script as a whole is good, so its a thumbs up.
QUOTE (Masich @ Apr 20 2014, 07:48 AM)I enjoy the animation, may not be the best but it has a sort of nostalgia around it for some reason.
The plot is mysterious, but also very predictable, if you are known with such anime as this one.

Overall: It has a lot of ways it can grow, the plot is average, but, it does has a intriguing force around it. which will make me keep watching it.indeed I had a low expectation because i considered the cast 'one-dimensional', but after watching ep.2 and 3 I'm more interested in the plot as you mention... Chaika's mission to bury the Maoh reminded me Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, why is she told to not gather her dad's remains? can he revive restarting a war?
today the full OP and ED were released!my favorites this Spring next to Jojo's
smile.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 23 2014, 03:00 PM) why is she told to not gather her dad's remains? can he revive restarting a war?

Dear god..

Spoiler Warning Contents: Quote.

You probably, just spoiled the hole ending plot xD, that is what I meant with Predictable.
But.. maybe they aren't that (pardon me language) stupid to make it that obvious.

I watched the first 3 episodes last night and it is decent to watch but I'm not really impressed by anything yet. I picked it up for 2 reasons only, the original creator of this also created Scrapped Princess, which was a great anime. The other reason is because it's a BONES anime and I haven't seen an anime series from them in a while.

I'm expecting this series to get better as it goes along. The next episode seems interesting with the Dragoon lady firstly saving Toru and then fighting him 1 on 1.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 24 2014, 09:23 PM) ...the original creator of this also created Scrapped Princess, which was a great anime...
This explains so much.

In any case, I'm enjoying it so far. It's re-treading on story content I already know, tho'. Looking forward to this Dragoneer lady, I don't recall where the manga cut off when last I read it, but I think it cut off around the same place Ep 3 ended.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 24 2014, 10:23 PM)I watched the first 3 episodes last night and it is decent to watch but I'm not really impressed by anything yet.
QUOTE (Norren @ Apr 24 2014, 11:47 PM)I'm enjoying it so far. It's re-treading on story content I already know, tho'. Looking forward to this Dragoneer lady, I don't recall where the manga cut off when last I reai wasn't impressed at first too so i didnt expect much but the series is gradually surprising me, more than lolis for me it's a fresh overlord's daughter vs. heroes story with Scrapped Princess's touch... specially the plot twist in ep.4 explaning why this "narcissistic heroine" didn't recognize Chaika, unlike the first hero who most likely decapitated her because a neck scar was seen while she's bathing
ohmy.gif

Episode 04 was good, I did like that twist to introduce another character into the party.
biggrin.gif
I have hope that this series will become more entertaining as it goes along.

I'm guessing the Mad King can be resurrected either by the use of spells or just letting his body parts touch themselves and instantly reanimating him.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Apr 29 2014, 11:28 AM)Wow. It almost feels derivative now.
QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 30 2014, 03:43 PM)Episode 04 was good, I did like that twist to introduce another character into the party.
biggrin.gif
I have hope that this series will become more entertaining as it goeshmm if by derivative you mean both series are about a couple of called siblings who protect a princess, believed to bring ruin to the world also escaping from a group of persuers that visit many places... but aired 10 years of difference then you're right though as reported previously there are many Chaikas, like the not-so-flat short haired girl in red of ep.5 who has a similar goal as the main cast
tongue.gif

Umm this episode sort of went by very quickly, it felt more like 10 minutes than 20. Multiple Chaikas with the same neck scars, I wonder if the Mad King cut off the head of all his daughters or clones of his dead daughter and put them on different headless female bodies that originally had a unique ability, like the White Chaika is a "magician sniper" and the red Chaika is a snake sword expert like SoulCal's Ivy. He could have done this because his power is immense even with just his remains and sort of supports the theory that he can resurrect himself if his remains are close to each other as well as being able to carry out such a feat. All I can say is that I'm interested in this world but I still haven't been swayed into thinking it's great.....it's just okay for now.

agreed this series isn't as great as NGNL and others of my list (specially today's Materialization shiritori o.0), but storywise it's intriguing like Masich said and s2 was just confirmed for this Fall ^^... ok I remember there was a fake Scrapped Princess but now its author goes beyond who is the real Chaika in ep.6, this arc reminds me to Marvel's Maximum Clonage or DC's Reign of the Supermen
huh.gif

Yeah, when I saw the news of a 2nd season on MAL, I was like really but to be honest....we really don't know much about this series yet despite getting to the halfway point of season 1 but after watching episode 06, I'll be looking forward to it because the story so far seems promising, I'm just wondering how much of the light novels have been already adapted so far in this anime.

It would be nice if the 2nd season is able to actually finish the story, maybe that's why it's split into 2 different season, so that the author of the LNs can finish the story before then.

ok I must admit each new episode has hooked me to watch more than ScraPrin back then, which had an open ending (dunno if its light novels too) so again i'm marathoning it to compare similarities... in ep.7 i found that encounter with the 3rd hero a bit disappointing but was funny to see Toru's real feelings, accepting that most likely he'll pick Chaika from his 'harem' (over the red one as well)
happy.gif

Episode 07 was pretty funny but the conclusion to the 3rd hero was a little disappointing like Necro said.

Episode 08 was a very average episode, I know there were a few worthy moments such as partial reveals that indicated that Emperor Gaz was just a mysterious person who was a great wizard and was able to create many magic-using inventions and all but everything else about him is just rumours and it makes me wonder why the "Legendary Heroes" even attacked him in the first place.

I'm glad this will be getting a 2nd season because I don't think we will get much answers by the end of the first season.

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 23 2014, 06:00 PM) indeed I had a low expectation because i considered the cast 'one-dimensional', but after watching ep.2 and 3 I'm more interested in the plot as you mention... Chaika's mission to bury the Maoh reminded me Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, why is she told to not gather her dad's remains?
Started watching it today, i got to say its a good animation but its lacking when compared to the manga, in my opinion the first two episodes would have been better off divided into 3 to depict all the things that happened between (and before) meeting chaika and getting away from the cavalier.

For example there is a hotblooded monologue were after learning she is looking for her father's remains, the protagonist gives them lip service and pities Chaika for having survived on her own for so long while being on such a heartrending situation (were she is alone in the world, hunted by a cult and government officials, and not permited to lay his father's remains to rest)

if i recall correctly that monologue went kind of like that, and it kind of put the story and the feelings of the main characters into perspective, without it the story feels a bit dull, as if the animation lacked color (monochrome).

Sorry if thats TL;DR, but the manga is just that good for me.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ May 29 2014, 08:06 AM)Episode 07 was pretty funny but the conclusion to the 3rd hero was a little disappointing like Necro said.

Episode 08 was a very average episode, I know there were a few worthy moments such as partial reveals that indicated that Emperor Gaz was just a mysterious person who was a great wizard and was able to create many magic-using inventions and all but everything else about him is just rumours and it makes me wonder why the "Legendary Heroes" even attacked him in the first place.
QUOTE (Klyern @ Jun 04 2014, 12:26 AM)Started watching it today, i got to say its a good animation but its lacking when compared to the manga, in my opinion the first two episodes would have been better off divided into 3 to depict all the things that happened between (and before) meeting chaika and getting away from the cavalier.

if i recall correctly that monologue went kind of like that, and it kind of put the story and the feelings of the main characters into perspective, without it the story feels a bit dull, as if the animation lacked color (monochrome).at first I felt it dull too so the light novel characters left me a better impression, yet I think the animation and designs have their charm done by studio Bones... I liked ep.9 a bit more than the impostor princess in #8 (ScraPrin déjà vu too), it revealed why Chaika lost her memories but also Akari and Toru's childhood ;p

Chaika The Coffin Princess (So far)

At first, The Animation is different from the others that are airing this season, but I enjoy it as I said: it looks nice and old fashion but the Anime self, had a pretty slow beginning (especially with the introduction of the other characters such as Gillette Corps).
Plot is still Mysterious, I don't know why but I really am questioning the hole Heroes, what happened to them and I hope on answers regarding the Fortress, which was introduced pretty early.

Overall : I enjoy the Anime and its adventure, and am pretty happy to know it gets a second season.
I only hope the second season does not end with a open ending, but we shall have to wait.

To be Continued o_O

This last episode has an interesting float back and forth between heartwarming and nightmare fuel.

The Magic System implications the memories bit brings are fascinating, but brings to mind the question of how many crystallized memories are in Gaz's corpse for it to be so energetic..?

I wonder if the reason everyone seems to think "It was okay under Gaz" is because he was doing atrocities, then using the collective public memory of said atrocity as fuel.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back