Signature Creation.

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Dragon-of-Rune

-Jigoku Sensei
Retired
I had a idea to expand our signature creation skills. It's pretty simple everybody can join in, just have to notifie it so i know about it. Here is a example from what i wanna do. This is based on 5 members (can be more or less we just have to see)

Member 1
Member 2
Member 3
Member 4
Member 5

Member 1 will start to post with a random signature tutorial he or she found on the web, and all members who joined are gona make it and give there own twist to it (render change, color change etc...) Then when everybody is done give each other comments on there work. Then member 2 will pick a random signature tutorial he or she found and repeat the prosess. After that member 3 etc....

You can pick any tutorial you find or have found in the past, put post only a link to the location don't post it here (because on most site it's property from them and you can't use it on other site's) You can decide the size yourself (don't have to follow the tutorial size) you can make it 550 by 200 if you want to use it on the forum later on. Don't forget that when you don't use the tutorial size you have to recalculate some size's if you need to make stuff in other documents
wink.gif

Members:

Dragon-of-Rune
Wittyfox
Clowd
WWWWWW
Wingzero619
BAakaTheOne
Kansatsusha-sama

Rules:

- Have fun
laugh.gif

- Learn new skills
tongue.gif

- Be on time with posting, we will do 1 tutorial per week
wink.gif
- Be honest but not cruel when saying something about a members results.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions
smile.gif

Tutorials so far"

First tutorial: http://www.dutchdesignz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107 (Closed)
Second Tutorial: http://www.dutchdesignz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161 (Closed)
Fourth Tutorial: http://www.dutchdesignz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2908 (Closed)
Fifth Tutorial: http://www.dutchdesignz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108 (Closed)
Sixth Tutorial: http://forum.noobdesign.net/index.php?showtopic=3186 (Closed)
Seventh Tutorial: http://www.dutchdesignz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40 (Closed)
Eight Tutorial: http://forum.noobdesign.net/index.php?showtopic=1336

Note: The user doesn't say anything about signature size, so think for yourself how you want it yourself.

Because this is the first tutorial we are doing, this will be a test fase. Everybody who enters or said who wanted to join will be added to the list. After that if you want to join please let me know then i will add you to the list and you can join in on the next project.

To make a example i already made the tutorial with a few adjustments that i will be explaining.

First i picked a nice render of sakura
tongue.gif

19675narutosakura8hw.jpg

Then i re-colored it to my licking (you guys don't have to do this if you want, it's just something i wanted to do)
sakura.jpg

Then i started to follow the tutorial and made a few change's. Because i made the signature bigger then the creator did, i didn't make the new document for the background "500 by 500" but "1500 by 1500", because i made my signature 550 by 200 (and then the background would be smaller then my signature
biggrin.gif
). Then i just followed it till the end. Where he give's the background his color the creator already says to give it your own twist so i made mine a red. At the end i made my own pattern on it and gave the signature some extra effects to make it look good. For example the different border instead of the one used in the tutorial.

Result:
sakurasignature.jpg

I hope people who are using gimp can also make this tutorial or else we need to find some gimp-friendly tutorials after this one (if you have them already you can use them on one of the next tutorials we are gona do)

I didn't have a chance to see this new thread because I was mostly away from my desk at work due to meetings. I would have wanted to be included for our very first tut. This is such a great idea to check out everyone's different styles and broaden our horizons in sig creations. So here's my version of this tut. I will explain what I did beneath my sig.

WEEK-OF-10-10-06-SAKURA-SIG.jpg

First thing I did was go ahead and saved DoR's render and created a 550x200 canvas. I left the colors the same because I liked Sakura's color scheme as it was. I followed the tut on how to create the bg which was no problem and tweaked it out a bit by not selecting a certain section of the bg which I created but to actually free transform it to a bigger size proportionately (ctrl+T > hold shift and drag a corner to your desired size to enhance the proportions equally). Instead of using the hue and saturating feature which was under "color and render placing", I simply used a style I have called "render coloring". Basically what this means is I used the original colors of the render and applied it to the bg. After render coloring, I placed a copy of Sakura on the left hand side with an additional copy behind it. Instead of feathering the top copy like the tut read, I instead used a motion blur on the bottom copy and skewed the image towards the right a bit to give it a small illusion like she was being warped towards the vortex looking shape on the right side of the sig. As for the section "text and final things" I basically left it the same format but added my own choice of effects. I used the rectangle tool to create a box and filled it with white then opaqued it 50%. After that I went into blending options and did a few minor changes like using the color red from Sakura's shirt for my drop shadow color, a little bit of bevel and emboss including the contour and texture, and finally a pinkish 1 px stroke. I copied this layer style an applied it to all the text, white box and the little box with her eye. This was quite fun and actually learned how to use some more filters. I really just brush my own backgrounds and use the blur filter. Can't wait to see Clowd's and Wittyfox's version of this tut.. Great job DoR and w6!

Well I'm trying to do it now but I got stuck on the top number 5 and 6 on that tutorial. Help??
PS. Im still a noob in photoshop so I don't know where everything is.

Well im typing this as i do the sig, so i dont forget the steps ive done. So i made a new BG on 1K*1K and made the backgrounds as the tutorial said. Moved the section of choice over to my sig BG 500*200 and played with the Hue+saturation.Made a duped overlay with angled strokes.then made anouther duped multiply layer with sumi-e and paint daubs. Enter the render...I added the render and did as tutorail said. Then added a patter above the bg for effect. Added a 2 px border and this is the fruit of my effort.
nagisigcopyjo9.png

also im not sure as if we are to use the render you posted or one of our choce. I assumed it was the latter if not accept my appology.

EDIT:by the way, be patient with my I only started PS like 2 weeks ago XD. Oh well i think this will be a great chance to learn how to make awsome sigs.Also i dont know if this goes against anything but ive edited the sig since this post because when i looked at it i was displeased so i thought i would make it apealing to myself.

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Oct 11 2006, 08:46 PM) Well I'm trying to do it now but I got stuck on the top number 5 and 6 on that tutorial. Help??
PS. Im still a noob in photoshop so I don't know where everything is.
So number 5 and 6 right.... Okay you know normally on the right side of your screen you have your layers right? Well in the layers pallet, look towards the top of it and you'll see a layers tab. Beneath your layers tab you'll see a drop down box which is defaulted by the word "normal". Go ahead and drop it down to "lighten". Make sure you have the twirl layer selected before you do this. Next, we're going to merge them. Look at your current layer that is selected. Of course it's the twirl layer. If you look closedly you'll see on the left hand side of the highlighted layer a small box with a paintbrush inside and below that is an empty little check which belongs to the duplicated layer. Go ahead and click the empty box and you'll see a chain link appear. Next at the top of your menu bar you'll see an option called "layer". Go ahead and click that option and at the very bottom of the menu is an option named "merge linked". Select that option and it will automatically link both your layers making your top linked layer the default now. If you're still having trouble, let us know. Hope this helps.

@Clowd: Two weeks into photoshop eh... Well you're doing great buddy. Don't worry about your choice of render. As long as you followed the tut and made your own "twist", then you're good to go. So far so good and I hope you learned a lot while doing this little sig. Don't be afraid to ask a question regarding this tut or if there's something else you don't understand. There's no stupid question. Well it's 0215 and I have to get ready for the gym. I'll be back later to check this thread out.

Clowd, keep up the great work. I see some great skills even for your first attempt doing a tut. As for Kansatsusha, if you still need help, please ask all the questions you need in order to understand photoshop. Hang in there and don't give up! I know photoshop is hard at first since you don't know where everything else but hang in there. Can't wait to see what you produce.

QUOTE (Clowd @ Oct 12 2006, 05:25 AM) also im not sure as if we are to use the render you posted or one of our choce. I assumed it was the latter if not accept my appology.

Like i said in the first post you can use any render you want. If you want to use mine go ahead, it only save's you time to look for a nice one yourself. But i only posted it this time for the example, i won't be posting anymore renders with the next tutorials we make. Also you work looks great, you used the same effect on the bg that i did only in black.

@Wingzero619: It seems that you only used the magicwand tool to cut out your render. To make it look beter after using the magicwand tool zoom in and use the eraser to remove the last parts of the BG and defridge it 1px. Most of the time's it will make your render look way beter.

@WWWWWW: Nice work, but why that open space on the lower part of the signature, not that it doesn't look good (if it's transparent)

Also i wanna know what you guys think about the time limit 1 week. Should it be shorter 3 - 4 days, or let it is the way it is now.

Also you have untill monday to join in on this tutorial. It it's easier with the 1 week rule to start every monday.

@WWWWWW: Nice work, but why that open space on the lower part of the signature, not that it doesn't look good (if it's transparent
The the sig is in a png format therefore it only appears transparent in firefox, and I'm guessing that your using IE thats why u see the white bit.......or are refering to something else
huh.gif

I think a week is better as it gives people more time, 3 to 4 days is just to short IMO.

I was talking about the grey part that IE generate's. If you made it .GIF it would also be transparent in IE. But most time's the difference in file size is pretty huge.

yeah i know but u have to take into consideration that although the file is smaller, there is a decrease in quality and colour. Also if i save it in .gif when there are shadows on the transparent background, the shadows on it turns out stuffed up.

so for me if it isnt animated .PNG is the way to go
smile.gif
hmmm in future i hope that tranparency .png would work for IE7
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Dragon-of-Rune @ Oct 12 2006, 02:47 AM) @Wingzero619: It seems that you only used the magicwand tool to cut out your render. To make it look beter after using the magicwand tool zoom in and use the eraser to remove the last parts of the BG and defridge it 1px. Most of the time's it will make your render look way beter.
It's not my style to have a dirty render but I wanted to finish this before I went to sleep. I have pretty much only two hours of free time after I get home from work before I go to bed. If I would have seen the render you posted up earlier, I would have tried to clean it up before I left work. I'm currently cleaning up the render before i go to work right now. I will revise post up my final version later on today.

[EDIT]
Oh man that render was dirty... Totally not up to par. Well anyways, I'm done cleaning it up and it looks way better.

tenshi1copyzi7.png

didn't like how the BG came out with the tut, so i made it with another tut i know (but messed around with it also
biggrin.gif
)
the rest is pretty much from this here tut, i copyed the layer with the render and moved it on the right
added the text Tenshi, warped it and put it as overlay
the border: 3px black overlay inside, 2px white overlay inside, 1 px black normal inside

i kinda like how it turned out (pretty satisfied with it too
biggrin.gif
)

So far we have 5 entries including myself and it appears we all have different styles and taste to personalize sigs. It's going to be kind of hard to comment since i'm so used to having my own ideas of making sigs.

@DoR: I like the color matching you applied to the sig except that there is a bit too much white in the middle of the sig. Obviously it was just a section of the bg that you chose so it's fine. Would it be too much trouble to post another image of your sig without the pattern you made? I just wanted to see what your bg would match the same flow as Sakura's hair. I think your "fansub.tv" text could use a little bit of help. Have you tried playing with playing with the brightness and contrast feature? Maybe you can bring out the red just a tad bit.

@w6: Very soft and smooth bg. Looks like you opaque the render a bit too much because the white portion of your bg is blending a bit too much with your render's clothing. I applied some contrast with it and it looked good with more rich color. Color matching is excellent and flows through out the whole sig. When I saved your file and opened it in photoshop, I see you have a blank strip across the bottom... can you clue me in as to why? As text goes, you might want to try giving them a drop shadow to see what it looks like. Now your render... I've noticed you have a white outter glow and it looks fine but have you tried shortening the distance of the glow? Just a couple of thoughts to consider.

@Clowd: Great job following the tut and for using photoshop for like two weeks. Might I suggest removing that pattern you have on your sig just because your render is very smooth. I like the position of your render and it goes well with the section you chose from the original filtered bg. Did you apply a bevel/emboss on your render? Just curious. After looking at yours, the only thing that stands out is the dark color of his shirt. Nothing else in your sig is that dark to compliment the colors except for your border.

@BAakaTheOne: Like you said, the bg is totally not the tut lol. Well anyways, I like the border. Its looks good considering the color of choice. I applied some contrast (between +35 and +50) and it appears you have way more to offer to your audience. Of course you can play with the brightness but it looks good. Since yours looks pretty much different that all of ours, I really can't comment too much further except trying different fonts see if you can get a better match for your sig.

Of course like I said earlier, I might be bias on how I commented because I'm so used to making my sigs they way I like them. As long as your sigs look good to you and you're satisfied, then that's what counts. Great job to all the current entries.

QUOTE (WINGZERO619 @ Oct 12 2006, 05:50 PM)
@BAakaTheOne: Like you said, the bg is totally not the tut lol. Well anyways, I like the border. Its looks good considering the color of choice. I applied some contrast (between +35 and +50) and it appears you have way more to offer to your audience. Of course you can play with the brightness but it looks good. Since yours looks pretty much different that all of ours, I really can't comment too much further except trying different fonts see if you can get a better match for your sig.

yep, i can definitely see the difference, thanks
biggrin.gif
(there is more detail like this, ureshi, and thanks again
biggrin.gif
)

i made new borders, what do you think?
unsure.gif

forumsigfr3.png

A quick one, because I really wanted to join in. I couldnt really follow the tut though, expect for the text and little picture.
Note: when it comes to filters its hard to follow for gimp users ( not impossible..!)

As you see the background doesnt look awhole alot like what you all have, thats because, as I mention, I couldnt find the right filters. So what you see here are brushes. I tried to pick ones that look similar to what your results were.
Anyway I couldnt waste too much time on it, I have class very soon
rolleyes.gif

Doesn't really matter you got the general design of the tutorial, also it looks good.

Here is my result without the patern and i added some simple effects to the text:

sakurasignature.gif

That's what I'm talking about DoR. Looks way better without the pattern. Nice job with the text. I'm really liking the "Sakura" text effect. Nice addition to your sig. Job well done my friend.

QUOTE @w6: Very soft and smooth bg. Looks like you opaque the render a bit too much because the white portion of your bg is blending a bit too much with your render's clothing. I applied some contrast with it and it looked good with more rich color. Color matching is excellent and flows through out the whole sig. When I saved your file and opened it in photoshop, I see you have a blank strip across the bottom... can you clue me in as to why? As text goes, you might want to try giving them a drop shadow to see what it looks like. Now your render... I've noticed you have a white outter glow and it looks fine but have you tried shortening the distance of the glow? Just a couple of thoughts to consider.
thx for the feedback, i would take them into consideration
smile.gif
and the blank strip its because the file is in .PNG (refer to the my previous posts in this thread)
smile.gif
btw dor nice colouring of sakura
smile.gif

I never really worked with moving gifs, but this looks pretty good if i do say so myself. Also we all can learn here from each other, it's most time's the fastest way to learn stuff.

Also i am thinking of colouring all my renders in the future, just to give it a little extra touch so i know it's my signature
biggrin.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back