Convert mkv to avi

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

alvin1a1

Kouhai
Help here! Anyone knows where to find mkv to avi converter? I have been finding for the past few days. I was trying to convert mkv to avi, some programs i downloaded are only trials,and only up to 10 or lower wih really bad quality, any freeware to intro? Thanks much.

It depends partly on what's in the video and whether you're able to view mkv files at all already.

If the mkv just contains a regular Xvid or Divx video stream and mp3 audio stream, then the freeware editor VirtualDubMod is quick and easy: you just open the video with it, set video to "direct stream copy" then save it as an AVI. Takes just a few seconds with no quality loss.

More likely though an mkv will also contain a soft subtitles stream, in which case you'd need to demultiplex that from the (streams list dialogue) into a separate subtitles file that you need to keep alongside the AVI file so the subs get picked up during playback.

A lot of mkv's now though contain H264 video, and/or variable frame rate video, VirtualDubMod is not the answer here. Also if you want the subtitles burnt into the video during conversion that too is a problem. In these situations I would suggest RADvideo (at radgametools.com), a free and very flexible standalone converter that can cope with just about anything. You'll need to peruse their help pages to see what to do as it can get a bit technical.

Get Avisynth and Virtualdud. Now open Notepad.

Type:
CODE DirectShowSource("X:\foo.mkv", convertfps=true, fps=23.976) #replace this path with
#wherever your mkv is and the actual filename/drive letter.

Save that with the extension .avs. Now open it in Virtualdub and encode from there. (read the Virtualdub docs and conversion docs using virtualdub on how to proceed)

try alltoavi google it
My friend told me he use it and it didnt lose quality so give it a shot I didnt yet...XD but it a trusted friend since he taught me photoshop haha

I use TMPGEnc 4 Xpress.

All I need to do is open up the CCCP settings > tick the box of Autoload VSFilter > load the MKV into TMPGEnc 3 Xpress > pick an output format > tweak output settings > convert. Softsubs even get hardsubbed automatically into any output format, be it .avi, .dvix, .mpeg2, .mpeg4, or even DVD video format. Quality is every bit as good as source.

I use reformat. It works. Do it, it's God's will, with it, we shall crush teh enemy.

QUOTE (noob @ May 21 2008, 02:47 AM) I use reformat. It works. Do it, it's God's will, with it, we shall crush teh enemy.
mm i think a link would be proper here

I would use WINAVI conveter, has yet to let me down, depending on your codecs though you may have trouble, oh and if your talking about dual audio, your going to have to use a mkv extraction software to seperlately encode each peice.

Actually, which is better? As I take up the comments of previous 1 year ago...

If you have the right setting then yea

QUOTE (cartoonist @ Jun 12 2008, 09:32 AM) If I convert MKV Files Using The above Programs To AVI Files.. Will It hav Subtittles
?
blink.gif

As Kansatsusha-sama said, you will, provided you selected the right settings. But they will be software subs. This means you will have a file, probably an srt, with the same name as your avi that needs to be in the same folder as they avi when you are playing.

In other words, you will not have the subtitles embeded in the avi as you sometimes have when downloading from a group releasing an avi. Those are called hard subs. The words of the subtitles are actually a part of the pictures.

Winavi does keep them, but if it dosen't you can choose to embed them into the file, (hardsubb ussing the .srt files)

If you need a shareware, Why not try MKV to AVI with Subtitle which also has the function of converting your MKV video files to AVI (even your mkv file contain subtitle) , you can search it via google by the key words "MKV to AVI with Subtitle"

If you need a freeware, maybe alltoavi is a solution for you, you can find it on sourceforge, search via google by the keywords "alltoavi sourceforge"

I use Daniusoft Media Converter Pro for a long time, it can easily convert mkv to avi with high quality and it supports a ton of video&hd video files
Video Converter
Convert all popular video: MP4, MPG, MPEG, 3GP, RM, RMVB, DAT, MOV, FLV, MKV, AVI, VOB
HD video Converter
Support convert high-definition video: M2TS, TP, TRP, TS, AVI

Hope it helps:)

QUOTE (langes01x @ Nov 27 2008, 03:28 PM)^^ looks like an adbot to me but what do I know. It is especially suspect given the lack of activity in this thread for the last 3 weeks.

I suspected the same thing which is why i deleted the post, thanks Langes01x for confirming my suspicions aswell as your own. Xd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back