Internet Phenomenon 48 / 2(9+3)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Is the answer 2 or 288

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Primula

-プリムラ こいびと
Retired
Well I wont go into much detail but if you google this fomula u see alot of result. Apparently on April 7, 2011 there was an internet phenomenon on this fomula 48 / 2(9+3) ppl getting 2 and ppl getting 288. What your answer lol...? Show your work =P

Lol, another one of those formula's. It would be much easier to understand it if it was written on a paper in the proper form. But following the rules the formula should be something like this in its full form:
48/2 * 1/(9+3)
writing 48/2(9+3) and saying that it = (4/2) * (9+3) is incorrect.

What i'm trying to say in my currently brain-fried (from uni) state is that if 48/2 is not specifically written in brackets ")"
the 2(9+3) takes dominance since its considered under the division symbol. If more explanation is needed with what I said above, just ask. I get the feeling that when I come home get some rest and read what I wrote just now, I'll be confused at what I meant myself XD

The answer is two. Parends superscede division, so the way the problem is wirtten the answer is two.

If the problem is wirtten on paper as:
48 * (9+3)
Then the answer is 288. The problem is if this was the original question, someone didn't transpose it into line form properly. The correct line form notation would be (48/2)(9+3).

QUOTE (wedora @ Apr 14 2011, 10:53 PM) The answer is two. Parends superscede division, so the way the problem is wirtten the answer is two.

If the problem is wirtten on paper as:
48 * (9+3)
Then the answer is 288. The problem is if this was the original question, someone didn't transpose it into line form properly. The correct line form notation would be (48/2)(9+3).
Exactly what I said but in an understandable form. Thanks wedora ^^

answer is two. parenthesis etc etc - not entirely sure how anyone can read the question as (48/2)(9+3) when its written as 48 / 2(9+3). Unless the paper form was (48/2)(9+3) then the person who originally posted this fails at maths.

QUOTE (samthebear @ Apr 15 2011, 05:59 AM)answer is two. parenthesis etc etc - not entirely sure how anyone can read the question as (48/2)(9+3) when its written as 48 / 2(9+3). Unless the paper form was (48/2)(9+3) then the person who originally posted this fails at maths.
It can easily be done if the person fails to see the space between the division sign and 2 thus they see 48/ 2 as 48/2 and therefore proceed to see the question as 48/2 x (9+3). I think this mathematical equation was presented in a rather sloppy fashion and there would be no room for interpretation if it was presented as:

48/24 or better yet 2/1 or simply 2.

or if they was seeking the alternative arrangement (48/2)*(9+3) then:

24x12

It is good practice when constructing mathematical formulas to simplify equations to its simplest form.

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Apr 15 2011, 09:24 AM) It can easily be done if the person fails to see the space between the division sign and 2 thus they see 48/ 2 as 48/2 and therefore proceed to see the question as 48/2 x (9+3). I think this mathematical equation was presented in a rather sloppy fashion and there would be no room for interpretation if it was presented as:

48/24 or better yet 2/1 or simply 2.

or if they was seeking the alternative arrangement (48/2)*(9+3) then:

24x12

It is good practice when constructing mathematical formulas to simplify equations to its simplest form.
The reason it was up for debate is because it was a test question, and TI-85's and TI-86's gave different answers (the 86 giving the correct answer). Its not an excuse though, because one of the first things they teach kids in algebra is how to write the problems safely into the calculator in line form. Basically, its the students fault for trying to use a cop-out on an easy question.

Strictly using standard order of operations with the numbers and operators, solving from left-to-right for the same level of precedence, should give the result of 288.
48 / 2 * (9+3) = 48 / 2 * 12 = 24 * 12 = 288

Answer is 288. This is due to the Order of Operations - a mathematical rule. You read equations left to right, with precedence going to operations in the following order:
[], (), exponents (including roots, which are fractional exponents), * or /, + or -

As such, from left to right
48/2(9+3) =
48/2*12 =
24*12 =

For further proof, plug the equation into any calculator that allows for multiple inputs at once (scientific or graphing calculators for sure allow this, as does Google), it will output the answer of 288.

For more information about Order of Operations, feel free to Google it or see the Wikipedia article.

48/2(9+3) * Haruhi Suzumiya = 88888888 =)

Every time you vote for 2 Noob kills a kitten.

kittenscantsavethreadno.jpg

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Apr 16 2011, 02:46 AM) 48/2(9+3) * Haruhi Suzumiya = ∞8 =)
fixed.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back