Japan Disaster 2011

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Kaeru-P

~ Person who asks random questions randomly ~
Kouhai
Although JunMisugi already made one here it was a front page topic anyway

just gonna repost my Post from there

QUOTE (lavenderdays @ Mar 14 2011, 12:56 AM)QUOTE (franzoir @ Mar 13 2011 @ 09:12 AM)As a registered volunteer for the Redcross, I got a call yesterday asking whether I wanted to do some fundraising.

I have spent all of today in oxford street asking people for money. People have been quite charitable. Hopefully, I will find some time off from studies to do some more.

I think this would be a great time for the anime community to rise up and donate to a culture that has rewarded us so much.

My thoughts are with Japan.

Ah glad to see somebody who is going active here ^^, I personally am going to donate (maybe up to 100$ if converted to dollars)  and yes I am serious. Being an otaku my hobby is indebted to their country and I had personal experiences with them in my school. The ones running my school were Japanese and they were really kind, just a sample would be when my friend got into an accident just right after school. When the japanese-headmistress found about I heard they took a large amount of money from the safe and offered it up to my friend's family.

Anyways just a sample of ignorant, insensitive people who lack the necessary grey cells in their brain or in other words dumb *ssholes.  http://i.imgur.com/8cqOO.jpg

Other than that its quite sad that the death toll is increasing to 10,000
although officially its still within 1,300+ the missing people serves as a probability for it to make it to 10,000 although this may be just "wishful thinking" I do hope it just stays as a 4 digit number. Just 1 death enough is a lot to affect a dozens of lives for better or for worse.Confirmed Death 1300+

Although the Nuke plants are still a concern regardless of it being close to a Chernobyl disaster or not. Being exposed to radiation excessively is bad no matter what.

QUOTE Although JunMisugi already made one here it was a front page topic anywayWell yeah forum regulations can be difficult at times eh
wink.gif
? The problem is that threads in content forum like the ones for front page cannot be easily accessed through the forum if you dont know how, therefore we needed a "official" one here.

QUOTE Other than that its quite sad that the death toll is increasing to 10,000
although officially its still within 1,300+ the missing people serves as a probability for it to make it to 10,000 although this may be just "wishful thinking" I do hope it just stays as a 4 digit number. Just 1 death enough is a lot to affect a dozens of lives for better or for worse.Confirmed Death 1300+
Yeah I hope it stays 4 digit as well... considering the amount of missing people it could actualyl get much worse than 10 000 in the end of the day
dry.gif

Whats also horrific is that as of now about 510 000 are homeless...fuuuu thats really hard
sad.gif

QUOTE Anyways just a sample of ignorant, insensitive people who lack the necessary grey cells in their brain or in other words dumb *ssholes. http://i.imgur.com/8cqOO.jpgAh yeah also saw that one too....well actually you already have to pity those people for the lack of brain they have
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE Although the Nuke plants are still a concern regardless of it being close to a Chernobyl disaster or not. Being exposed to radiation excessively is bad no matter what.Well I think in general its wrong to compare it with chernobyl, if people get told that its not as worse as chernobyl was then quiet some people will tend to play the problem down and lose focus on the severeness of this situation.
I also just heard that a third nuclear reactor had , or has problems with colling as well and might be at risk. The Japan Atomic Power Company who runs it says that theres no risk, but news agencies say theres risk of meltdown....I hope the Company tells the truth and is not lying to keep down the panic in Japan. Haaaa its really a mess, I hope they get the situation under control soon.

QUOTE (JunMisugi @ Mar 13 2011, 02:58 PM) Yeah I hope it stays 4 digit as well... considering the amount of missing people it could actualyl get much worse than 10 000 in the end of the day
dry.gif

Whats also horrific is that as of now about 510 000 are homeless...fuuuu thats really hard
sad.gif

I also just heard that a third nuclear reactor had , or has problems with colling as well and might be at risk. The Japan Atomic Power Company who runs it says that theres no risk, but news agencies say theres risk of meltdown....I hope the Company tells the truth and is not lying to keep down the panic in Japan. Haaaa its really a mess, I hope they get the situation under control soon.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake
It seems this is as of Monday, Japan time...if what is to be believed in the article is correct, then many have perished while many more, are still missing. What is difficult to understand at the moment, is the fact that it seems relief efforts have not yet reached many people. I can only assume it may be due to the difficulty of trying to cross those massive bodies of water, filled with massive amounts of debris, floating cars, and sadly, bodies. It is of utmost importance the bodies be recovered as soon as possible. Human waste and decaying bodies, without any clean water supply or working sanitation plants, will soon have disease spreading and many more will die, as a result. So many things to consider in the aftermath too, for the survivors...to say it is overwhelming is an understatement, indeed.

This part of the article brought tears to my eyes...so sad.

QUOTE In the town of Minamisanrikucho, 10,000 people — nearly two-thirds of the population — have not been heard from since the tsunami wiped it out, a government spokesman said.
About a third of the town of Soma was wiped out, with several hundred homes washed away. Three districts of town on the shoreline are now covered in rubble, overturned cars and trucks and waist-high, dirty green water. A tiny pink girl's bicycle, all twisted up, sits near a child's backpack — just some of the personal belongings littering the landscape.
Atsushi Shishito sat in a daze on the concrete foundation of his home, now completely washed away. He sleeps at an evacuation center. The 30-year-old carried his grandmother to higher ground to escape the tsunami.
"All my other relatives are all dead," he added. "Washed away."

My thoughts and prayers are joined with the rest of the international community for the Japanese peoples rescue and recovery.

Ahhh I can't seen to access Takehiko Inoue Twitpic I think my internet is fine at the moment so I think its not on my side that's the problem... so the problem must be on twitpic's maybe I'll try later.

If anybody else can access his twitpic and save his "smile drawings" which some of them were done after the catastrophe (34 of them) then post it here please do so... http://twitpic.com/photos/inouetake

QUOTE (lavenderdays @ Mar 14 2011, 01:37 AM) Ahhh I can't seen to access Takehiko Inoue Twitpic I think my internet is fine at the moment so I think its not on my side that's the problem... so the problem must be on twitpic's maybe I'll try later.

If anybody else can access his twitpic and save his "smile drawings" which some of them were done after the catastrophe (34 of them) then post it here please do so...  http://twitpic.com/photos/inouetake
What an artist he is. Okay, I tried one out, will try posting it here. He managed to do so many in less than two days as is being reported. I listened to the song, as well. It was bittersweet.
I really like this one as the portrayed expressions on the children's faces is one of sweetness and hope...may it be so.
wink.gif

Just had a brief talk with the london director of the redcross. He was directly in charge of me and my volunteer group for the 2008 darfur ciris.

He said on a ground implementation level it is actually harder to coordinate aid in advanced nations like Japan. In third world countries where their third sectors (charities etc) are underdeveloped, it is easier for INGO charities to come in and distribute aid, because they will accept anything, there is no alternatives.

However, for the Japanese, many have already noticed how their infrastructure has impressively rolled out to deal with the crisis. In a sense it becomes harder for other international charities wading in because they need to join up with these services and bridge the cultural differences (especially in eastern countires). Ultimately, it will take time before there is effective international aid.

As for the people going on about pearl harbour and making ignorant comments/ jokes, well the bias treatment of history is outstanding, but if you try argue with a fool then you are the fool.

What does sadden me though are some anime fans reactions complaining about why they havent gotten their latest fix. You would think that being fans of japanese entertainment/cultlure, people would have extra sensitivity and empathy for the current crisis. In a sense, while I can tolerate ignorance (cause they dont know any better), I cant tolerate people that know and still act selfishly and insensitively.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Mar 14 2011, 07:35 AM) However, for the Japanese, many have already noticed how their infrastructure has impressively rolled out to deal with the crisis. In a sense it becomes harder for other international charities wading in because they need to join up with these services and  bridge the cultural differences (especially in eastern countires). Ultimately, it will take time before there is effective international aid.

@ franzoir...thank you for clarifying that aspect of the relief effort. I used to work for the Red Cross as a staff Nurse, in their blood donor department, Los Angeles Chapter. They are quite busy too since Southern California has a very large Japanese community and many are active at the moment. More news coming in daily and while it is beyond overwhelming, I still believe in their resolve to meet the needs of the people. Many the world over are active in striving to meet those in need and it is a good thing to see.
Here is one threat of great concern and I can only hope, it can be attended to among the so many other pressing issues at hand.
Japan’s Health Challenges
With electricity down, Japan faces serious medical risks.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/262...ges-marc-siegel

After tsunami, one village vanishes
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_on_...anished_village

Edit Update! @ 15:45 PST
ca2ce3e186ed9225cb33b7e159759d5c.jpg

A flower has been found...a sign of hope for those who feared her lost and for those who found her.
wink.gif

http://www.nationalreview.com/the-feed/262...ed-rubble-japan

This article was an interesting one. An insider's view as to what he experienced during the earthquake, in Chiba, while translating the latest Beelzebub episode.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2011-03-14

Also, passing this other ANN article along as it may be of interest to some of you as a way of helping out in the relief effort.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-...r-quake-charity

Some more good news...among the devastation.
wink.gif

More Survivors Found in Japan
By Nat Brown
Last Update: March 15, 2011 8:39 A.M.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-New...e_After_Tsunami

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Mar 15 2011, 10:40 AM) Ishihara and his inappropriate comments on the disaster. You can read the news for yourself as I'm disgusted to even further talk about it

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2...amakan-responds
First those Idiots at Facebook and other Lowlife internet scums

Then comes in the idiocy of some News Network (although its Faux News so its to be expected...)

Then that Eco-terrorist Guy Pretending to be captain planet.

And Now This?!!?!? If Divine Retribution existed God wouldn't be stupid enough to kill innocent people only to leave this guys unharmed!

*sigh* This is humanity at its lowest...

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Mar 15 2011, 04:16 AM)QUOTE (franzoir @ Mar 14 2011, 07:35 AM)
Edit Update! @ 15:45 PST

Amidst the ruins...a flower has been found...a sign of hope for those who feared her lost... 
http://www.nationalreview.com/the-feed/262...ed-rubble-japan
Ahh.... A good news to hear, In Fact a Glorious News Indeed, just to take off my mind to those "certain idiots"

PS: Yutaka Yamamoto, Gets A hell lot of Respect and Kudos points for me just for his twitter post.

Other than that A little late about this news but-
It seems Haruhi is praying for our dear victims

f.jpg

By Noizi Ito

Reference : http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2...aying-for-japan

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Mar 15 2011, 03:45 PM) Song written and performed by Yoko Kanno for the victims of the quake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWuFgYkKjA
I listened to the song on MAL in the MVC club. Great you added it herein, A~san.
wink.gif

More details on the precious baby girl who was found alive...I am so happy and glad that many are now inspired by such a miracle.
Courtesy of Yahoo! News...
Amid the silent corpses a baby cried out - and Japan met its tiniest miracle.
On March 14 soldiers from the Japanese Defense Force were going door-to-door, pulling bodies from homes flattened by the earthquake and tsunami in Ishinomaki City, a coastal town northeast of Senda. More accustomed to the crunching of rubble and the sloshing of mud than to the sound of life, they dismissed the baby's cry as a mistake. Until they heard it again.
They made their way to the pile of debris, and carefully removed fragments of wood and slate, shattered glass and rock. And then they saw her: a four-month old baby girl in a pink woolen bear suit.
The tidal wave literally swept the unnamed girl away from her parents' arms when it hit their home on March 11. Since then her parents - both of whom survived the disaster - have taken refuge in their wrecked house, and worried that their little girl was dead. Soldiers managed to reunite the baby with her overjoyed father shortly after the rescue.
"Her discovery has put a new energy into the search," a civil defense official told a local news crew. "We will listen, look and dig with even more diligence after this." Ahead of the baby's rescue, officials reported finding at least 2,000 bodies washed up on the shoreline of Miyagi prefecture. How the child survived drowning - or being crushed by fallen trees and houses - remains a mystery.

QUOTE (khael @ Mar 15 2011, 09:39 PM) Miku will bastardize this soon. I can feel it.
Maybe it's because I am listing to the Macross Frontier ~Sayonara no Tsubasa~ soundtrack a lot recently, but it sounds like Nakajima Megumi should be singing it. Which of course means the appropriate bastardization should be to use the Gumi Vocaliod.

QUOTE Interest: Takashi Murakami: Tweet Art to Support Japan
posted on 2011-03-15 21:06 EDT
Japanese pop artist publishes English-language message on art exhibit's blog

The official website for Geisai, a semiannual art conference/exhibition, posted an English-language message from its chairman, contemporary artist Takashi Murakami, on its official blog.

In the message, Murakami expresseed regret that the 15th Geisai event has been postponed in the wake of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. He then suggested that artists post art to Twitter in support of Japan in troubled times, attached with the hashtag #newday_GEISAI. He also pointed to submissions from Slam Dunk creator Takehiko Inoue (link) and animator Sushio (link) as examples.

Twitter users have gathered the entire collection, which includes art by Murakami himself, so far HERE.

In a bilingual (Japanese/English) follow-up post by Murakami, the organization reacted to criticism that the movement was pointless and that they should attach a fundraising element to the art. The response included the following statements:

If we look at it in terms of its practical value to society, art is in some ways the most meaningless of meaningless activities.

But then why, we must ask ourselves, has it continued to exist for so long? It is this point that that I would like you all to understand and share.

Murakami then continued to outline the purpose behind the project, which is to provide an outlet for the artists who would have participated in the postponed Geisai event.

Source:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2...o-support-japan

For those who want to see Art by Japanese Artists made for the Disaster

@Khael and Accipiter lol I cant believe a topic about vocaloids ended showing up here
blink.gif
xD, Oh well Otakus will always be otakus right? But really though I to Do have the feeling sooner or later...

Okay speaking of the devil
Ehrr not really miku but... Yoko Kanno's Song, Covered by Meiko Kaito???......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhS9ivdc24

QUOTE (daedalron @ Mar 17 2011, 01:32 AM) There's this site which translated many tweets from Japan after the tsunami:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1oR...oAPdCyZ3w&pli=1
Such beautiful stories.... Indeed Japan is a respectable country, Disciplined, Well-mannered and optimistic in times likes this... Just hearing about those stories on how those people are trying to help each other brings tears to my eyes...

[by Keiko-san]

*Such dignity!

A man, probably over 80, was rescued in an afflicted area. "No problem! I've experienced the tsunami in Chile. Let's rebuild!" he said with a smile. The reporter attempted to get comments of grief, but he returned, "Crying just won't help the matter," and smiled. His wife standing next to him also said, "I look ridiculous. Don't get me on camera." Those people who built Japan have dignity.

and...

[by Keiko-san]
Everything's alright

An American student living in the Chiba prefecture got on CNN. "I got in a panic, but Japanese people around me were different. They remained calm and gave each other considerate words. Check in on others to see everyone's alright, cheer, and help each other. They were great. Japan will be alright." The CNN reporter hoping to hear about panic was sort of disappointed...

CNN fail, /facepalm

I just talked with a japanese friend today and his cousin works in one of the nuclear power plants and he said that the media are exaggerating the whole debacle. Supposedly the situation is by far not as bad as the media make it sound. I hope he is right..... either way, he is way more concerned about gasoline and food shortage. He also mentioned that the TV is resuming normal airing schedule today evening, including all the stupid comedy shows and all. I must say I was surprised to hear that japanese people are in the mood for stupid comedies, but my friend thinks they need a good laugh. So those who actually have electricity might have a laugh this evening. Hmmm....

QUOTE (warita200 @ Mar 16 2011, 06:14 PM)I just talked with a japanese friend today and his cousin works in one of the nuclear power plants and he said that the media are exaggerating the whole debacle. Supposedly the situation is by far not as bad as the media make it sound. I hope he is right..... either way, he is way more concerned about gasoline and food shortage. He also mentioned that the TV is resuming normal airing schedule today evening, including all the stupid comedy shows and all. I must say I was surprised to hear that japanese people are in the mood for stupid comedies, but my friend thinks they need a good laugh. So those who actually have electricity might have a laugh this evening. Hmmm....

I also have some friends in Tokyo and one in Sendai. My friend and his family in Sendai lost his home in the tsunami but fortunately he and his family are alright.
The ones in Tokyo are still staying in the city but they all say that it is a tense situation. One of them said the following: as long as the emperor stays in the city there is nothing to fear.
Watching comedies may indeed be a way to get some tension away. It does sound strange though.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back