Toshokan Sensō (Library Wars)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

JCDRANZER

- Sky King
Retired
title.jpg

library_main.jpg

Title: Toshokan Sensō (Library Wars)
Japanese Title: 図書館戦争
Genre: Military, Action, Drama
Premiere: April 2008
Animation Studio: Production I.G.
Original creator: Hiro Arikawa
Director: Takayuki Hamana
Original Character Design: Sukumo Adabana
Character Design: Satoru Nakamura
Official Website: http://www.toshokan-sensou.com/
http://www.production-ig.co.jp/contents/works_sp/1750_/

Cast:

Marina Inoue as Iku Kasahara
Akira Ishida as Mikihisa Komaki
Miyuki Sawashiro as Asako Shibasaki
Tatsuhisa Suzuki as Hikaru Tezuka
Tomoaki Maeno as Atsushi Dōjō
Haruo Satou as Kazuichi Inamine
Kanji Suzumori as Ryūsuke Genda

Toshokan Sensō (図書館戦争, Toshokan Sensō? lit. Library War) is a Japanese light novel series by Hiro Arikawa, with illustrations by Sukumo Adabana. A manga adaptation by Kiiro Yumi started serialization in the shōjo manga magazine LaLa on October 24, 2007 published by Hakusensha; another manga adaptation by Yayoi Furudori started serialization in the seinen manga magazine Dengeki Daioh on December 21, 2007 published by MediaWorks. An anime adaptation by Production I.G will start broadcast in Fuji TV's Noitamina programming block in April 2008.

(~from WIKI~)

Plot:

In the year 2019, 30 years have passed since the Media Purification Law, which cracks down on articles that incite public disorder or infringes human rights, was enacted. The agents of the Special Organization for Purification arm themselves and control various media. Meanwhile, libraries rise up against extralegal censorship.

(~from AnimeNfo~)

To be completely honest....I have got no clue about this anime....I'm not too sure that I will check it out when it comes out but I might depending on future reviews.
wink.gif

According to ANN its meant to be a 12 Episodes anime.

ToshokanSenso.png

There was definitely something about this anime that really interested me in it when I first heard about it on ANN. I just can't seem to remember at all what it was though. Well I'll still watch it cause I'm pretty much like that. Try everything and then go from there.

As long as i see action in the description i'm willing to give it a go but it's still a long way to the spring collection.

Does seem like an interesting story but i don't like the 12 anime setup... most of the times it just feels too short to finish it up nicely.

I read the first chapter of it on the manga magazine Dengeki Daioh on December 21 issue (bought it mainly for the 1:1 scale Shana poster that comes as bonus
laugh.gif
)...I must say it quite interesting and the setting is certain different from most other titles. It is gonna be a drama+action type anime if it follows the manga...probably similar to 'You're Under Arrest' in some sense.

It makes sense being a 12 episodes series, consider that they probably won't have much materials to go on.

Confirmed Premier Date: 10th April 2008
biggrin.gif

So has anyone heard anything about a group picking this up? Of some of the fansub group sites I went to when seeing what big name groups were picking up what I saw no mention of this anywhere, which is unfortunate cause I would like to see it.

I was wondering about this show too. Doesn't seem like a group has picked it up. All the blogs are praising at least the first episode and the screens I've seen show a pretty good show. Is the show licensed already then? Am I still within my the bounds so I don't get bannaged?

QUOTE (The Stig @ Apr 21 2008, 11:43 PM) I was wondering about this show too. Doesn't seem like a group has picked it up. All the blogs are praising at least the first episode and the screens I've seen show a pretty good show. Is the show licensed already then? Am I still within my the bounds so I don't get bannaged?
As far we know, no media of Library Wars has been licensed, but what with a string of licenses coming in lately, it might be picked up in some form. I mean, some manga I never expected to get licensed were just this week, so anything is possible. I too am eager to watch this series, but a lack of subs has left me in despair.
sad.gif

I saw the first episode and after first impressions I think the anime could have an entertaining 12 episode run. I was a little bit shaky on the actual plot when I first read it. The first thing that came to mind was ROD TV but with military action. Though this anime was definitely not similar but nonetheless the two main characters made things interesting.

The female lead w/the short hair and the feisty attitude was pretty much the star of the show. The male lead was a nice complement to her as the overly strict commanding officer. There was a wtf scene where the female lead (gomen cannot remember any of their names lol) takes down but fails to apprehend a book/magazine thief. The male lead saves her from carelessly getting attacked by a sharp object. Then he slaps her face so hard that I think her head hit the wall?! (another example of the out of control slap scenes this season lol).

So the two main characters seem to fed off each other well at least during the first eppy. Now where the plot goes from here I'm not totally sold on but I'll definitely be checking out the next episode.

I'm so happy the first episode was finally subbed. I've seen up to the 3rd episode in raw form, but it's nice to actually know what the characters are saying as the dialogue between Kasahara and Doujou is quite humorous ^^

I hope the group continues to sub the series. Even though they have no name, their quality was decent.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Apr 25 2008, 04:00 PM) There was a wtf scene where the female lead (gomen cannot remember any of their names lol) takes down but fails to apprehend a book/magazine thief. The male lead saves her from carelessly getting attacked by a sharp object. Then he slaps her face so hard that I think her head hit the wall?! (another example of the out of control slap scenes this season lol).
I think the overall anime is good, but that particular scene you mention, it was delivered a bit...odd, comparing to the manga; cause in the manga, when the 'bad guy' tried to attack Kasahara (the female lead), Dojo (the male lead) pull her back and took a clean hit to the face in her place at the same time, and the slap was just a normal slap in the face...nowhere as exaggerated as in the anime.

And then there was a scene in the manga where she was thinking back about the incident and thought, what if the bad guy had the cutter at the time when he attack? dojo would had been very serious hurt (if you think about it, he could had got cut in the face...or even in the eye) and it would had been her fault, because of her naiveness and carelessness. That was why she was really regretting about her own foolishness and want to go apologise to dojo. Later is the same as the anime...where she met dojo at the vending machine...and couldn't be honest with herself although she really wanted to apologise.

I think they skipped quite a bit if interaction between the two for episode 1...including the judo match (it was only mentioned in the anime, but the fight was not shown). But non-the-less, the anime is still good so it's definitely worth watching.

I just watched the first episode and damn must I praise Production I.G for another AWESOME series. Both the OP and ED are great for this series. I really want to read the manga, where I can get the RAW scanlations of the manga of Toshokan Sensou ??
rolleyes.gif

Episode 01 just had all the ingredients to a great series and I'm happy to find out its a proper romance-comedy as well.....NICE.
biggrin.gif

Hopefully, episode 02 and 03 will get subbed soon or I might end up watching the RAWs.
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

The first episode was funny and there's something very intriguing about the story. When I read the synopsis, and there was very little information about it anywhere, I think I had a nosebleed because it seemed too complex. But I picked it up anyway.

My initial impression of it was it's kinda like LoveCom with a mix of ROD (probably because the chibi lieutenant comment stuck and the book things reminded me of the little I watched of ROD). It's brilliantly done though Production IG almost never disappoints me. Anyway, it's pretty cute and it seems very interesting. I hope they sub the next two episodes soon because I'm liking it.

I just finished watching the first episode, downloading the next 2 as I post this
biggrin.gif
I really enjoyed the first episode..
I don't understand the premise entirely but I'm sure I'll catch on eventually... I really like the two leads together, I think they have more chemistry than any of the other potential couples from romantic comedies this season.
Anyway, I'll have more to say after I see the next two episodes. I'm glad it's finally getting subbed
biggrin.gif
it's funny how it took so long because it's such a great series.

I fihsined episodes 2-3 and I am not at the point of totally ignoring the war part because I am having such a hard time grasping the concept of it - so I take it as a series of short situations and operations they get themselves into. Kasahara and Dojo are just seriously nice together.

I was seriously laughing at the bear part in the second episode and considered it as the second coming of another Dojo.

From what I understand of it, this seems to mirror a very Fahrenheit 451 setting. The government wanted to monitor and control what people are reading and probably watching. The task force that enforces this "Media Improvement Act" was noticed to be too violent and controlling. In response to this, almost like executive action vs. legislative action, libraries created their own task force to save the important books. The library corps were supposed to be a check on the Media Improvement Act so they would not destroy/censor ALL books, but when implemented they seemed more like a rebel response.

It's the same "how much should we censor" debate, but I hope they develop this idea little more or make it more original.

I watched all 3 episodes today and I have to say I thought it was great. Didn't really think much of the setting and the situation but more so on the interaction between the characters. There are grounds for a lot of romantic and comic moments in this anime mixed with some good old fashioned action.

I also like the idea of Libraries having military Task Forces to protect the books it's a fun idea.

Well looking forward to the next few episodes but I have to say 13 eps seems a bit low, well we'll see what happens most likely she ends up with Dojou.

Its to be 12 episodes and not 13 episodes.
wink.gif

I just watched episode 02 and 03 and I must say this series is seriously good and I'm loving it in all ways. It reminds me of Nodame Cantabile, Kare Kano and Full Metal Panic in many respects.....which is definitely a good thing.
biggrin.gif

I laughed at the face Kasahara made when Tezuka asked her out...LMAO!! XD
laugh.gif

Now its specualtion time and I've got one, I'm thinking right after Kasahara "survives" the targeting of the important wheelchair dude. Dojou will perhaps evidently show that he was extremely worried by the ordeal and this will affect Kasahara's ultimate decision and might end up turning down Tezuka at the end. ORRRRRRRRRRRRRR she doesn't notice it and she starts going out with Tezuka, while shortie, Dojou gets pissed off to extreme and while grinding his teeth seeing the 2 become a couple, which would be nice to see a little drama. But I doubt that and it might just be her turning Tezuka down.
wink.gif

Can't WAIT...LOL: -

Episode 04 - "Tosho Shireikan o Dakkai seyo" (図書司令官ヲ奪回セヨ) - 1st May 2008

no way JCD! i have no doubt in my mind that kasahara will never go out with tezuka.

based on my uneducated guess on watching the next episode previews, i think episode 4 will probably end with dojo telling her something that will surprise kasahara... though if it's a confession, maybe or maybe not. it's probably another string of sermon. probably not a confession, but considering that this is gonna be 12 episodes only, it probably will. though in the same eloquence that dojo usually use. and yes, i am all for a kasadojo ending. if she ends up going out with tezuka, i'd be so pissed.

seriously... this series got me so addicted. this jumped right to the top of my list for the season. but resources/info/data about it... looking for them is like pulling teeth. the best i could do was pull out everything i read on that animeblog and that was just an intro.

QUOTE (biankita @ Apr 30 2008, 01:12 AM) no way JCD! i have no doubt in my mind that kasahara will never go out with tezuka.

based on my uneducated guess on watching the next episode previews, i think episode 4 will probably end with dojo telling her something that will surprise kasahara... though if it's a confession, maybe or maybe not. it's probably another string of sermon. probably not a confession, but considering that this is gonna be 12 episodes only, it probably will. though in the same eloquence that dojo usually use. and yes, i am all for a kasadojo ending. if she ends up going out with tezuka, i'd be so pissed.

seriously... this series got me so addicted. this jumped right to the top of my list for the season. but resources/info/data about it... looking for them is like pulling teeth. the best i could do was pull out everything i read on that animeblog and that was just an intro.
Haha geez biankita would you really be that pissed off if the story decided to have Kasahara choose to date the stuffed shirt Tezuka for a few episodes lol? Don't you guys get a little tired of animes already hand picking who the couples are going to be and then you just immediately fall for that? True the same formula will certainly be the case here. Kasahara will fall for Dojo and they will have romantic comedy interactions throughout but give me a story that throws you a little curve ball.

I was really shocked when Tezuka asked Kasahara out at the end of eppy 2. Though what would be the purpose of it if she just rejects him the next episode? It would be much more entertaining if they expand on that relationship a little and Dojo can freak out over it lol then eventually win over Kasahara blah blah your happy ending
tongue.gif

The thing that still disturbs/amuses me though is that you could get shot over a book?! Not just with a pistol but an actual machine (many more holes in your body XD) gun at that haha! I'm sorry but scaling down a wall under extreme gunfire to save a bag full of books is completely and utterly insane. It gives a whole new meaning to read or die
rolleyes.gif
lmao gomen I couldn't help myself w/that reference.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back