Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

JCDRANZER

- Sky King
Retired
sayanora01us2.jpg

Title: Sayonara Zetsubō Senseii
Japanese Title: さよなら絶望先生
Genre: Comedy, School-life, Slice-of-Life
Premiere: 7th July 2007
Animation Studio: SHAFT
Production: Starchild Records
Original creator: Kôji Kumeta
Director: Akiyuki Shinbo
Series Composition: Kenichi Kanemaki
Character Design: Hideyuki Morioka
Official Website: http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/zetsubou/

An anime based on a manga of the same name by Kôji Kumeta. Kôji Kumeta (久米田康治) is a Japanese gag mangaka. His most famous works are the hockey themed romantic comedy Southern Ice Hockey Club and Katte ni Kaizo. His other major works include Sodatte Daring and The Sun's Soldier Pokapoka. The bulk of his work was published in Shonen Sunday, until the abrupt cancellation of Katte ni Kaizo. Currently he is serializing Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei in Weekly Shonen Magazine. It was recently announced that this series would become his first work to be made into an anime.

(~taken from WIKI~)

Summary #1:

“Nozomu is one of the best employees at a multilevel marketing for health foods company, but he is horrible at dealing with females and lotus roots. One day, he got chased around as a traitor of HAMASHO, a religion he didn`t believe in. Under the orders of the founder who acts and looks like the Gundam character Degwin Zabi, a group of girls Nozomu. After barely escaping with his life, he arrived at the all-girls` school in Ashizurimisaki in southern Japan. He was mistaken for a new teacher and placed upon a platform, but on the first day, he obtained the incomprehensible nickname of “Left Wing Guerilla”. In despair from the bizzare nickname, he resolved to die, but a girl under the cover of marriage approached him, a girl who came from a country that seemed to have never heard of the phrase, “We`re all going to die, anyway”.” - (taken from AniDB)

Summary #2 (MKK's):

"A very tragic comedy about a deeply depressed teacher, whose attempts to commit suicide are constantly foiled, try to console his 32 students with their own weird problems ('What's with the students in my class? It's enough if I'm the one who's having troubles.' - Itoshiki Nozomu)."

Thoughts:

That main character sounds like a very interesting character, and while I’m not too fond of the all-girls high school he ends up in, I can see myself enjoying seeing him getting tortured by his students, and worry about his situation at the same time. The director did series as Pani Poni Dash and Le Portrait de Petit Cosette, so he should know how to handle the despair of Nozomu.

I'm not turned off by the teacher of an "all girls" school concept. The "suicidal" aspect of it could be intriguing. Instead of a positive GTO teacher you have a negative suicidal prospective to scare the kids straight maybe. That summary 1 was kind of confusing
huh.gif
and the artwork looks kinda hmm...not that great...but like most animes i will always give it a try there are always those gems that you didn't see coming just by reading the plot...

Senpai, I don't think the anime will use that *style* of art in the actual animation.....it will use the character design though. I think the style of art in the pictures I've posted are just for promotional purposes. The character design reminds me of xxxHolic but not completely.....its like a *blocky* CLAMP production in a way.

Yes, Summary #1 sounds weird but thats the summary for the supposed first episode.......all the events that occured randomly one day for poor old Nozomu....and what the girl says gives this anime the *WEIRD* thing that Serial Experiments Lain and Paranoia Agent both had.
ohmy.gif
rolleyes.gif
ohmy.gif

I can't wait for July....its gonna be an awesome month!! XD >.<
laugh.gif

P.S. Edited the first pic....hehe.
biggrin.gif

Well after reading the Summarys and browsing some Manga i cant wait for the release of the Anime.

The anime style wouldnt really bother me that much, its the content im more concerned with.

And i also agree the 1st summary does sound confusing. But it does sound like an episodes as aoppesed to a plot line.

I absolutely loved the first episode. I think I may have found a new favorite anime. It has this random, off-beat humor that I can't get enough of. In just about every scene in the school room their is something random and different written on the board. I made sure to read them all.
tongue.gif
Then it was hilarious how Fuura basically tried to buy the naming rights to Itoshiki and started calling him Pink Supervisor. And then he later accepts the money from her when he raises the price from 50 yen to whatever he got payed.
laugh.gif
Also please take the time to read the completely off-topic story located in the opening. You have to pause it since all 4 scenes flash in about 2 seconds, but it's just his hilarious ranting. I laughed so much.

Excellent, excellent show and this gets a huge recommendation from me.

Well it looks liek JC's summaries were way off their mark; so much for the "all girl school" setting, and the first summary is so completely off, I don't even know where to start.
huh.gif

Anyway, the series instantly reminded me of Hidamari Sketch as it's done by the same animation studio (Shaft), and they use the same style of animation of some of the same sound effects too. It took me a little bit to realize that Kafuka's seiyuu was Mika from Manabi Straight too. I tried to read as many of those messages on the blackboards, but most of the time I just read the subs. I could go back and read all of them again if I paused it, but that would take forever. I did however go back and read the OP off-topic story; so strange.
laugh.gif

This one looks like one of the best this season, right up there with Higurashi; and I love the ED, it's kind of creepy at times.
ph34r.gif

Sorry Juhachi...Summary 1 is completely off the mark.
wink.gif

Just saw episode 01.....it was just pure brillance...ROFL all the way...Pink Supervisor.

The off-topic story in the OP was random and hilarious.

The animation is pure bliss.
biggrin.gif

The OP was just cool and the ED was wacky and creepy at the same time.
rolleyes.gif

Fuura-chan is just sooo kawaii.....her seiyuu is Mika's....Fuura-chan seems to me more of the Manabi type though (OMG....I still gotta finish Manabi Straight.
sad.gif
).
rolleyes.gif
Fuura-chan's seiyuu is Ai Nanoka and she's also gonna be the seiyuu for Fuuko Ibuki in Clannad TV series from KyoAni.
ohmy.gif
biggrin.gif

OMG....Chiri-chan is sooo like Mutsuki (Mucchii) from Manabi....OMG...they've both goth the same seiyuu.
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif
She's also the seiyuu for Yoko-chan from Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Opening Theme: "Hito toshite Jiku ga Bureteiru" by Kenji Ohtsuki feat. Ai Nonaka, Marina Inoue, Yu Kobayashi, Miyuki Sawashiro & Ryoko Shintani

Ending Theme: "Zessei Bijin" by Ai Nonaka, Marina Inoue, Yu Kobayashi & Ryoko Shintani

Indeed, this is one nice series. A homeroomteacher who is completely in despair and who is trying to teach that despair to the class. Absolutely unique (i can't think of other series with this view). I'm going to watch the first episode for those messages on the blackboard
laugh.gif

Definitely has a sorta off-beat style humor that some may or may not like. I thought it was a nice first eppy it keep me entertained. Yeah originally I thought the animation quality was going to be poor but not at all. They incorporate a different sytle than most but there's nothing wrong with that. People were saying how odd red garden's animation was at first but I thought it was one of the most unique and best of the season. The funniest scene to me was a tie between the pink instructor naming and when sensei went to the counselor and he tells this absolutely pointless story. The counselor is like so do you wanna go kill yourself now and Itoshiki suprisingly says nah he felt better just getting it off his chest. The counselor is like I hope he doesn't come daily XD. So all in all I think it was an okay first eppy.

Now for the ftv boo boo moment of the episode. Big fat head super chrome dome head kept popping up ruining any and every possible ecchi moment. It was a complete buzz kill. Whoever decided that was a good idea should be purged by lethal injection or tar and feathering either way I wouldn't have any complaints.

Barbo-san told me excellent things about this new anime and I thought I should watch it and see what`s about! I never thought it would become a favorite by the first scene with the teacher hanging under the great sakura tree... Is it only me or the teacher looks exactly like jin from samurai champloo....

Ok, and just now the captain gave me the link for the manga! I feel pretty lucky having so good friends!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Sen-sei! I`ve found the heads very funny! and the expressions priceless....maybe there is gonna be a,em, situation between teacher and student.... I know you`d love that
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

No nO nO ploumi!!! the head gives you nightmares. Ever since...when I am trying to enjoy a nice ecchi moment the heads of creepy gigantic baldness appear to haunt and torture me. I fear the heads and I hope they never return. It is like looking back and seeing your inner-perv something that should never be done unless you are fully prepared for the disgusting feeling afterwards...heed these words...many are not prepared...

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jul 14 2007, 10:28 PM) No nO nO ploumi!!! the head gives you nightmares. Ever since...when I am trying to enjoy a nice ecchi moment the heads of creepy gigantic baldness appear to haunt and torture me. I fear the heads and I hope they never return. It is like looking back and seeing your inner-perv something that should never be done unless you are fully prepared for the disgusting feeling afterwards...heed these words...many are not prepared...
Very true Senpai.....a bold head to ruin the moment...B was saying its the head of the mangaka, Kōji Kumeta.
ohmy.gif
wink.gif

Its my pleasure Ploumi...I'm ur No.1 Fan!! XD
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

uhg what is with the freaking bald guy heads! When i first downloaded the ep i had no clue what the anime is even so i skip through it to see what it is, giant robots, school life or what (answered my question of course) one of the first things i skipped to was the spa scene and i'm thinking to myself "all right..." then bam bald guy and i was like WTF!!! almost made me not want to actually watch it from beginning for a minute
tongue.gif
Looks like it might be good, I'll keep up with it for now

QUOTE (OffC3nter @ Jul 15 2007, 02:26 PM) uhg what is with the freaking bald guy heads! When i first downloaded the ep i had no clue what the anime is even so i skip through it to see what it is, giant robots, school life or what (answered my question of course) one of the first things i skipped to was the spa scene and i'm thinking to myself "all right..." then bam bald guy and i was like WTF!!! almost made me not want to actually watch it from beginning for a minute
tongue.gif
Looks like it might be good, I'll keep up with it for now
OffC3nter....watch it from the beginning and don't skip it, its HILARIOUS....TOO FUNNY!! XD
biggrin.gif

Yeah, damn that bald guy..I hope he goes to hell for ruining the ECCHI moments.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

funny anime bad drawing and what the *beep* is that bald middle age man covering everything
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

mods note: plz refrain from using vulgar language in ur posts

iamdeath...please re-frain from using such language at this forum has its visited by all ages. Also....the drawing in this series is what makes it stand out and adds to the hilarity....by no means is this bad...open ur eyes.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Read the rules ---> http://boards.fansub.tv/index.php?showtopic=1774

Yay, i forgot about this anime, wanted to watch it for awhile now,

Finally downloaded the ep, just need to watch it. Cant wait, sorry for this post being so lat, but no one told me what the realse date was
sad.gif

But looking forward to it
smile.gif

My bad Hiasubi...I didn't put the premier date for it properly and therefore: -

Premier: 7th July 2007

This series will only be 12 episodes.....even though the manga has 8 volumes so far and 24 or 26 episodes can be made for it easily. It has been confirmed here ----> Shoboi Calendar firmly says 12.
wink.gif
Sad to hear it but its true.
sad.gif
The animators of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, who are SHAFT were involved with "Nejima!?" (the 2nd series), which had a comparatively low TV ratings.....which is apparently the reason for this series being cut short....coz another "failure" could bring SHAFT to its end.....money, money, money.....this world is always on about "money".
wink.gif
laugh.gif

But as B-dono said at TS earlier today ---> "well then Zetsubou Sensei Season 2!!! XD"
laugh.gif

Well i suppose if SHAFT did go donw the pan with, and form what you said another series could be made using the Manga you could always hope a different group of Animators would take it up
wink.gif

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Jul 16 2007, 08:45 AM) Well i suppose if SHAFT did go donw the pan with, and form what you said another series could be made using the Manga you could always hope a different group of Animators would take it up
wink.gif

Hiasubi...nah...if this turns out to be a success with high TV ratings, which I'm sure it will be the case...then a second season is possible.
biggrin.gif

Episode 2 contains parodies such as Manabi Straight! and Code Geass.
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back