19 replies to this topic

#1 LosingSolace

LosingSolace

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

When you wake up in the morning to the terrible beeping of the nearby alarm clock, what is the first thing that goes through your head. Is it a feeling of joy for the beautiful morning. A feeling of sorrow for the long day ahead. A feeling of relief that you woke up in time to make it to work. Or do you not wake up to an alarm do you roll out of bed when the sunshine hits your eyes and warmth touchs your face?

Think about this time.

Now think about what your favorite thing to do after you wake up. Weather it be a few new episodes of anime, a warm shower, or perhaps a bowl of cereal.

Think about your favorite thing to do in the morning.

Now think about what you really do in the morning.
-Are you even waking up.
-Is it still morning.
-Why do i have to go to work?

I found that when I go to bed early and watch those few extra episodes in the morning in the sunshine I have a generally terrific day, but when I sleep in and wake up in the afternoon i have a fairly depressing day =(

What time do you like to wake up or go to bed? do you have a set schedule?

#2 warita200

warita200

-RETIRED-

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Interests:For those who care and would like to contact me at some point, I can be found on Anime-Suki under the user name: warita (only warita without the 200) :)<br><br>The email that I have on FTV wont work, because I changed accounts a few months ago.

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

I go to bed usually at 11:30 pm no matter whether it is a working day or weekend.

And my favourite morning ritual is making coffee. That usually wakes me up. I hate to be woken up by the alarm clock, so I am almost always awake 10 minutes before it goes off. biggrin.gif

When I still lived at my parents place, I used to wake up to the sounds of the coffee maschine in the morning. My mom in the kitchen fixing breakfast for us and the sounds of the coffee machine slurping water was a very nice way to wake up. I miss that time sooooo much, especially in the winter!!! There is nothing worse than to wake up in winter, outside still dark, the kitchen cold and desserted. I wish my mom would make breakfast for me for the rest of my life!!! Golden age of childhood!

#3 windfinder

windfinder

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:I have degrees in Math/Computer Science/English<br><br>I read/write, and I watch anime too.

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

When I wake up/go to sleep depends on my schedule for the next day.

When I wake up...
I like to lay in bed and just think for about 1/2 an hour. Its the only way I seem to be able to satisfactorily wake myself up. I always have one really random thought too. This morning's was: "Today I need to save the world." I don't know why, I just randomly thought it. Another favorite was: "Worst case scenario, I miss work. Best case scenario, I get a parade." No idea what it means, but it was the first thing I thought that morning.

"Your tears are like jewels..."
-DNA²

#4 noob

noob

±ⁿ°°ɓ±

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3701 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

How does mind work? Well, it's a simple question, it works using coins/money. All you need to do is to insert money into your head and it'll function, may I recommend doing that regularly to avoid having other inserting money into your head. Sometimes, some people use fake money and it may cause you to lose your life.

______
Have problems with viewing files? Please try downloading CCCP.
I'll save you world! I'm half way done with my anti-stupidity that acts just like anti-biotic! I'll free you someday.

#5 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1124 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in all sorts of things.<br>Well, that's about all.<br>Oh and can I say hi to Akari?<br>Hi Akari! ¯(º_o)/¯

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

When you wake up in the morning to the terrible beeping of the nearby alarm clock,

The first thing you should do is get rid of that alarm clock. If they sack you for sleeping in, well it was probably a crap job anyway. Opt out of the rat race and be happy.

There's an old saying, "Remember, even if you win the rat race—you're still a rat."
user posted image

#6 squire

squire

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (Hiroyuki @ Oct 15 2006, 04:00 PM)
The first thing you should do is get rid of that alarm clock. If they sack you for sleeping in, well it was probably a crap job anyway. Opt out of the rat race and be happy.

There's an old saying, "Remember, even if you win the rat race—you're still a rat."

what about rats who enjoy wandering around in mazes?

#7 hamasusuke

hamasusuke

-aniue

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts
  • Interests:gundams

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

Well.. even Einstein won't have a direct answer to this, but i can contradict this saying:

"Lots of people people soak up information like a spounge soaks up water."

Contradiction:
"People's minds are like a spounge: they suck information up, then squeeze them out."

But other than that, people just come and go on info, without the thought of processing it. Not, that i'm right or anything unsure.gif
user posted image<--how long have I had this? Time for a change!
user posted image
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.
Don't forget to read the rules <--Addresses all new, old, and recent members
F.A.Q. Page<---- Trouble shoot and Support Section

#8 warita200

warita200

-RETIRED-

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Interests:For those who care and would like to contact me at some point, I can be found on Anime-Suki under the user name: warita (only warita without the 200) :)<br><br>The email that I have on FTV wont work, because I changed accounts a few months ago.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:05 AM

Do you guys experience it sometimes too..... you smell something and it triggers long forgotten memories? Specifically emotions acompanying those memories? It is a weird feeling, I am never sure if I like it or not. It feels like I am flooded with emotions, but I cant remember anymore what the cause was. biggrin.gif

This happens to me on a smaller scale with music too. When I had a hard time in my life, because I was going through some serious trouble and back then I listened to radio and heard the chart songs....... some years later I hear that song again and it instantly brings back the feeling from that time. It is like time traveling machine... for a split of a second I feel transported couple of years back into the past, I feel the same like I did back then....... really weird!!!

#9 wwwwww

wwwwww

-chibi kami sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1613 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

the mind is a database something so complex that even u and me can not understand............ so therefore use it well laugh.gif ....
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
hmmmm..........

#10 davidnsz

davidnsz

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Well, I'm doing a research project on that subject in Psychology over here in university. Problem is that we know so much about our senses (inputs) but we don't know much about the central bit which puts them together and evokes memories... The aim of my project is to try and decipher that... Hope the experiment design works though...

#11 Bold

Bold

-kenja sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (davidnsz @ Oct 16 2006, 06:15 AM)
Well, I'm doing a research project on that subject in Psychology over here in university. Problem is that we know so much about our senses (inputs) but we don't know much about the central bit which puts them together and evokes memories... The aim of my project is to try and decipher that... Hope the experiment design works though...

Is your project aiming at building a model of some of the functionnalities of the brain? Like something using a neural network or another modelling technique to try to understand the human brain? If so I do see some very interesting problems ahead of you but also some facinating possibilities.
Follow your dreams, Never give up, Never be afraid,
Always remember, Fortune favors the bolds!

---
You like FTV? Leave a thanks for the team :)
---

Proud developer of the AB Syndicate
user posted image

#12 Ehren

Ehren

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:writing, drawing, watching anime, reading manga and other novels

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

Hmm.. I think that the innumerable amount of possibilities of how a person's mind wires itself when it stores memories and when it stores facts is was makes them unique. :3 People with different wiring tend to be on the 'strange' side. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I don't wake up to an alarm. I wake up when I wake up. I set my biological clock to a certain time and I go to sleep knowing what time I go to bed and thinking what time I want to get up. I always wake up before the time I need to be somewhere though the discrepancy is anywhere between 10-15 mins to a full hour before time. :3 The first thought that comes to mind is "Am I awake or did I wake up in a dream thinking I'm awake?" Once it's confirmed that I'm in reality, I'm generally pretty cheerful about stuff.

If I stay up reaaaal late like until 6am I'm a grouch when I wake up in the afternoon, but if I go to sleep around 11 at night I am generally pleasant when I wake up.

#13 xxanime_junkyxx

xxanime_junkyxx

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts
  • Interests:Besides anime and manga? Classical dancing, writing, and doodling over my notes from class when I should be listening to the teacher. <br><br>Favorite shows:<br>-Toward the Terra (2007)<br>-Paradise Kiss*<br>-xxxHOLIC*<br>-Nana*<br>-Nodame Cantabile<br>-The GokuSen &lt;3<br>-Gunslinger Girl<br>-Ouran High School Host Club<br>-Perfect Girl Evolution (Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge)<br>-Welcome to the N.H.K<br>-Death Note*<br>-Full Metal Panic Fumoffu and TSR<br>-Zombie Loan<br>-Lovely Complex*<br>-Hataraki Man<br>-REC<br>-Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei + Zoku*<br>-Mononoke<br>-Darker Than Black<br>-Baccano!<br>-Samurai Champloo*<br>-Karas*<br><br>Favorite Mangas<br>-My 1/3 Boyfriend*<br>-Nana*<br>-Crimson Hero<br>-Paradise Kiss*<br>-Vampire Knight*<br>-Trinity Blood*<br>-Goth*<br>-Immortal Rain*<br>-Chocolat*<br>-Shinshi Doumei Cross (The Gentlemen's Alliance)*<br>-Demon Flowers*<br><br>Looking Forward to:<br>-xxxholic S2 XD XD XD XD!<br>-Mushiuta S2<br>-Sisters of Wellber S2<br>-Kara No Kyoukai<br>-Minami-ke S2 XD<br>-Vampire Knight!?!?!?! &lt;3 &lt;3 &lt;3 &lt;3<br>-Aria: The Organization<br><br>My REVERSE Harem (bwa ha ha..if guys can have it...why not me?!)<br>-Kagure Yuuya (My 1/3 Boyfriend) [STUNNING!]<br>-Zero (Vampire Knight)...hottest emo kid ever*<br>-Abel Nightrod (Trinity Blood)<br>-Kohari (Lovely Complex)<br>-Reiji (Kodomo no Jikan)<br>-Seiran (Suketi Tantei Labyrinth)<br>-Daisuke (Mushiuta)<br>-Kazuma (Kaze No Stigma)<br>-George (Paradise Kiss)*<br>-Light (Death Note)*<br>-Kyoya (Ouran High)<br>-Keisuke Haibuki (Crimson High)<br>-Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)<br>-Shiito (Zombie Loan)<br>-Nobu (Nana)<br>-Shin (Nana)<br>-Doumeki (xxxHOLIC)<br>-Soldier Blue (Toward the Terra)<br>-Fay (Tsubasa Reservoir)*<br>-Hei (Darker Than Black)<br>-Souske (Full Metal Panic!)<br>-Sasuke (Naruto)*<br>-Keith (Toward the Terra)<br>-Firo (Baccano!)<br>-Makoto (Ghost Hound)<br>-Yuca (Immortal Rain)<br>-Eury (Immortal Rain)*<br>-Jin (Samurai Champloo)<br>-Masayuki (Ghost Hound)<br>-Itoshiki (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

i have to set 3 different alarms for me in the morning so that i can wake up! i'm the kind of person who has to set their alarm clock early, because they always procrastinate and want to sleep "5 more minutes"....and hence are late. the outcome? i only have 15 minutes to brush, wash my face, get dressed and eat breakfast...but those extra 10 minutes of sleep are heavenly!

personally im not a morning person..i HATE mornings..im always exhausted in the mornings..im more of a night person...can stay up laaaaaaaaate! laugh.gif

[MODERATOR's NOTE: This post is unrelated to the discussion at hand and is hardly thougthfull. It does not elaborate on any internal workings of the mind. Further off topic posts will be deleted.]

Edited by Bold, 06 November 2006 - 06:20 PM.

user posted image
"Pity and compassion are privelages that are reserved for the strong. And I am...strong!" -Vino (Baccano!)
Season's Top 5:
1)Ghost Hound
2)Shigofumi
3)Zoku:Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
4)Persona:Trinity Soul
5)Spice and Wolf

#14 juliuz

juliuz

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:58 AM

heh. well how, and when i wake up, all depends on when, and what i did last night. tongue.gif

anyway there are 3 parts of the mind. the ID, the EGO, and the SUPEREGO.

the ID it the part of your mind that just wants. this part of your mind that won't let you get up early in the morning when your alarm is sounding, because you just want too sleep in... it is also responsible for sexual drive.
the EGO, is the "down to earth" part of your mind. this part of your mind tells you to wake up in the morning because you have to go to work, or school. if this part of your mind took total control of you mind, then you would be a boring, depress(ing)(ed) person.
the SUPEREGO, is the "reasoning" part of your mind. the balance between the ID, and the EGO. this is the part of your mind that says, that you'll sleep for 5 more minutes, but will wake up after that.

#15 julez

julez

-chibi

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3242 posts
  • Interests:on vacation~

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

juliuz, what you are describing here is Freud's structural theory, the divisions of the psyche. id, ego and superego are so-called 'bridges' between the conscious and unconscious. I never thought about using the structural theory to explain how hard it is to wake up in the morning biggrin.gif
but you explained it really well

Currently Watching:

Shingeki no Kyojin, Monogatari Series: Second Season, Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S, Genshiken Nidaime, Silver Spoon, Free!, Blood Lad, Rozen Maiden Zur�ckspulen, Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince, Space Brothers, Uchouten Kazoku, Servant x Service, Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation, Gatchaman Crowds, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou

My Anime List

#16 Sozo-kun

Sozo-kun

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:everything Anime, role playing games, romance

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

I have a fun fact to leave in this topic....did you know that most people only use about 5 % of their brain in a daily basis what if we could use 10% or even greater than that what would we be capaple of doing?

#17 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1124 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in all sorts of things.<br>Well, that's about all.<br>Oh and can I say hi to Akari?<br>Hi Akari! ¯(º_o)/¯

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

Actually the 5% thing is a UL that was already discussed in another thread some time back, see for instance snopes.com entry on it (they have the myth as 10% btw). It’s like saying we only use 10% of our muscles, well right now I may be, but as soon as I get out of this chair most of the other 90% will surely turn out to have some use.
user posted image

#18 j-fizz

j-fizz

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

I've seen it some where that the myth of people only using 10% of their brain being false. But eh could be wrong. Hmm how the brain works...Well very complicated stuff that i dun't really know to much about in depth anyway. I know theres the cerebrum which helps with data processing, posture, reasoning ( right part of the cerebrum controls 3-D imaing) etc. the cerebellum which controls functions such as coordination, balance, posture and finally the brain stem which send electrical impulses throught the body.

#19 InuyashaX

InuyashaX

-Hokage

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:57 AM

The mind is a very brilliant thing. It is able to process so much in a short period of time. Your brain is making millions, even billions of decisions constantly, each and every second of the day. We are very fortunate to have such a capacity of brain power. It truly is remarkable, but also very mysterious. Each and every mind funtions differently and reacts differently under certain circumstances. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about how the mind works.
"Because I have failed so many times, that is why I succeed" -Michael Jordan
A group of enthusiasts shall shed light upon the world"- Fansubbers United
Click here for the rules regarding FTV:)

My definition of "now"
Now is that little voice in your head that's telling you now is now but it's really now past 1 minute in reality but now is not now right now so now will come a little after later then a little before after at a time period now at the end of the day where now is consistent with your mind at a moment where now is now but still not truly now.

#20 malfion

malfion

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, video games, the internet, anime obviously<br><br>Ask me for the specifics in a PM if you wish!

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:01 AM

Humans use only 10% or less of their brain: Even though many mysteries of brain function persist, every part of the brain has a known function.
This misconception most likely arose from a misunderstanding (or misrepresentation in an advertisement lol) of neurological research in the late 1800s or early 1900s when researchers either discovered that only about 10% of the neurons in the brain are firing at any given time or announced that they had only mapped the functions of 10% of the brain up to that time.

If all of a person's neurons began firing at once he would not become smarter, but would instead suffer a seizure.

So, its a good thing we don't overuse our brains... laugh.gif
I'll put something here again, someday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users