Tokyo Ghoul

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

JCDRANZER

- Sky King
Retired
yTazMh5.jpg

Title: Tokyo Ghoul
Genre: Horror, Psychological, Tragedy, Supernatural, Mystery, Action and Drama
Premier: 4th July 2014 (Happy Independence Day America lol)
Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot (interesting, hopefully the series is more than 2-cour)
Director: Moirta Shuuhei
Original Creator: Ishida Sui
Official Website: http://www.marv.jp/special/tokyoghoul/

Opening Theme: "Unravel" by tk of Ling Tosite Sigure - This song is awesome.
Ending Theme: "Seijatachi" (Saints) by People in the Box

Plot:

Strange murders are happening in Tokyo. Due to liquid evidence at the scene, the police conclude the attacks are the results of 'eater' type ghouls. College buddies Kaneki and Hide come up with the idea that ghouls are imitating humans so that's why they haven't ever seen one. Little did they know that their theory may very well become reality.

(~from Manga-Updates~)

SIDE-NOTE: Don't read the plot at MAL, it's slightly spoiler-ish and definitely not at ANN.

My Thoughts:

I'm psyched, I'm stoked, you can call it whatever you want but I'm seriously looking forward to this anime. I picked this manga up sometime last year and the scanlations are behind the RAWs by like 60 chapters, so I'm hoping this adaptation of the manga will be faithful and I ensure you all, this will be a ride and hopefully not a trainwreck, which I sincerely don't think is possible but then again Brynhildr.

6g383aO.jpg

I am planning to watch this one. A few others are up for grabs on my plan to watch list as well, so here's hoping the summer season turns out swell.

Capitano, I read the spoilerish plot on MAL but those things never bother me anyway. I say good for them since the MAL plot got me interested in the first place.
wink.gif

This first episode sets an extremely high standard for the rest of the shows starting this summer. Lots of mysterious elements with enough world setup to get us started on the right foot. I'm prepared for a fairly gruesome ride.

HAhahahahahahahahahaha, Finally! something worth watching
biggrin.gif

This reeks of old school combined with some new school music in some parts, like the bgm when he gets hand fed, sounded like psycho pass, i never knew a mixture of old and new could be this good ^^

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jul 03 2014, 02:38 PM) This first episode sets an extremely high standard for the rest of the shows starting this summer.
Gruesome ride is sure but as far as high standards go I ain't so sure since the first half of this first episode was so predictable (gee...where have I seen this before). Clumsy boy scores a date with a hot, bookish chick who just happens to show off "the goods" and he is taken hostage afterwards. (or was that smitten?)
rolleyes.gif

Then, she gets him to walk her home and bingo! Gee...how did that happen?
rolleyes.gif

Second half was better so here's hoping they keep it dark and deep and psychological.

Anyway, I will cut the first episode some slack since it could be a good story with blood, guts, and gore.

QUOTE (dominodidi21 @ Jul 17 2014, 02:50 PM) Kyaa ! I felt in love with this anime from the first episode.
since I like horror .
laugh.gif

I like it too, Didi-chan but dislike the censorship. I mean, gee, we're all adults, right?
wink.gif

What is interesting to me so far is how all these ghoulish characters have managed to survive in the real world. Living and walking in the light, some liking humans while others only seek to eat and destroy them. After this current episode though, that is all pretty much at stake now...their freedom to roam and all the rest of what ghouls do, severely compromised...maybe.

Is there some sort of rigid discipline that comes into play? If so, let's see how the whiny main character is trained. I really like the older and very refined Barista as he is wise in what matters and that's a plus to the MC as he is new and overwhelmed and way too immature to handle his new-found gory powers.

Now then...onto more of just who the Dandy in the red flashy suit is?
tongue.gif

I'm halfway through episode 2 and I just wanted to say that Rize isn't actually in the manga much, however I like the fact they are using her character to show how messed up it is for a Ghoul who is trying to starve and prevent themselves from eating human flesh.

So yeah, the anime is doing a good job at being faithful to the manga whilst adding elements to enhance the effects of certain scenes. I remember a scene in the manga when Kaneki shouts "I'm not a monster like you" to Touka and Touka's expression is of utter rage, which they do differently in the anime, with Touka proceeding to beat the crap out of Ken.

Anyways, I'll be back to write more after I finish both eps 2 and 3.

EDIT #1:

Episode 2's extra was jokes, I don't remember that joke from the manga but episode 3's extra was in the manga, I think it was actually part of a chapter and not an omake.

Wow, this anime is going at an incredible pace with the introduction of Gourmet, Madou, Amon, CCG and the quiff-guy who works at Anteiku. I like the choice of seiyuu for both Jason and Gourmet, it suits their personality as well as their roles in the series.

I'm so glad that this is going to be a 2-cour, the only real disappointment is the censorship, even when the BD is released, how much of the censorship will they strip because the series can be pretty graphic. There was a particular scene in the manga that happened in a chapter between 60 to 73, in which they colour the act in black, sort of like manga censorship and I understand why they would do that because it's tragically gruesome. I wonder how they will tackle that scene in the anime, in which I do hope they keep as it's one of the main reasons that kaneki suddenly gets a "power boost".
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jul 18 2014, 01:25 PM)I'm so glad that this is going to be a 2-cour
Really? Where did you get the information, Capitano? It does not show up on MAL. Regardless, if what you say is true...then I'm in.
tongue.gif

Saw this picture of K-kun and find it quite fascinating in a gorytastic way...
wink.gif

233885_zps4d012095.jpg

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jul 18 2014, 09:30 PM) Really? Where did you get the information, Capitano? It does not show up on MAL. Regardless, if what you say is true...then I'm in. 
tongue.gif

Saw this picture of K-kun and find it quite fascinating in a gorytastic way...
wink.gif

233885_zps4d012095.jpg

It was originally set to 24-episodes at MAL and for me which I guess they changed, I think that makes more sense considering there is a lot of material. So far the anime has adapted up to chapter 14 and there are 140+ chapters of which 81 chapters have been scanlated. I hope I'm right as the anime might prove to be the faster way of getting a translation for the later chapters.
rolleyes.gif

Ooohhh, that's his BDSM mask.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jul 17 2014, 06:58 PM) I like it too, Didi-chan but dislike the censorship. I mean, gee, we're all adults, right?
wink.gif

I heard that in japan since the declining birthrates arent getting any better the child demographics arent looking so hot, so im wondering why the hell they are being so hard on censorship myself.

Also i agree with what was said about the first episode setting the bar high for the rest of the series, but so far so good. I liked it when he walked in on the girl ghoul while she was eating, funny bizarre and ambiguously ecchi (lol).

I caught up with this, it's a great watch with an awesome soundtrack. There are few gripes that I have like cutting out some minor characters completely, like they blasted through the Gourmet arc. However, despite the cuts here and there, the anime remain faithful to the manga but also included a scene that wasn't from the manga but the manga did sort of hint at it, with Hinami's father being killed by those doves.

MAL says it's only going to be 12 episodes, I hope this is wrong or that it's going to be a split-cour with the 2nd season coming in January 2015 because despite speeding through the manga material, there is still awful lot available that can't fit in just 12 episodes.

Yep...I like the way everything is moving along too. Liking all of the characters so far too. I no longer consider K-kun to be a whiny ghoulish kid...he is coming into his own gradually. Looking forward to him mastering his powers and showing the baddies what he's made of.

Those "doves" are troublesome for sure. Not sure I want to see the fate that awaits the little loli ghoul's mama.
sad.gif

Episode 7 and 8 brings an end to Inspector Mado. I saw some idiot do a review for the first 7 episodes on a site called "geekenstein" saying that the anime is loosely based off the manga, which isn't the case but it does skip a lot of parts, which they then summarise in 2 lines in the anime like at the end of episode 7, Mado gets a call about the possible location for Hinami.....in the manga, both Ken and Touka go the Doves headquarters to report the possible whereabouts and Ken had to go through this special scanner that tracks the level of RC cells (I think it's called that), which detects ghouls as they have a very high number of RC cells but Ken goes past the scanner without any problem, which puts Mado's suspicions to a halt. Mado was trying to get Ken to go through the scanner because he suspected him and Ken eventually went through it. Anyways, it isn't that big of a deal since the scene was more of a tension-builder that didn't really move the story forward apart from setting up the location.

It's a real shame that it's only 1-cour for the time being, I'm hoping they will announce a 2nd season soon.

I haven't watched episode 11 yet, just finished episode 10. The anime is going at such a pace it actually feels unrecognisable to the manga but this is a feeling after all since the anime is being true to the source whilst going at mach speed, that's why the series feels sort of off-balance.

The OST and OP have been amazing at capturing the essence of Tokyo Ghoul, a great choice to use Unravel by TK as an OP.

There are events that lead to Kaneki getting a mental breakdown (with his hair going white) whilst he's captured and not sure how much of it the anime will follow or simply skip.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Sep 11 2014, 03:47 PM) I haven't watched episode 11 yet, just finished episode 10.

There are events that lead to Kaneki getting a mental breakdown (with his hair going white) whilst he's captured and not sure how much of it the anime will follow or simply skip.
Read the spoiler and well, after getting one's a** kicked the way K-kun's was by that vicious, ugly, Jason, I would probably suffer the same fate.
I only hope that when K reaches his full ghoulish power potential (before the series ends) he wipes the floor clean with that sadist, Jason.

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Sep 11 2014, 11:39 PM) Read the spoiler and well, after getting one's a** kicked the way K-kun's was by that vicious, ugly, Jason, I would probably suffer the same fate.
I only hope that when K reaches his full ghoulish power potential (before the series ends) he wipes the floor clean with that sadist, Jason.
Oh my god, that is nothing compared to what Jason has in store for Ken.....that scene was more like a pat on the back by Jason. Ken truly suffers.

Episode 11 was pretty decent but they cut a tonne of material out of it, which is a little disappointing. The way episode 11 ends suggests they won't do the scene that essentially sends Kaneki over the edge....the mother and son scene is what I'm referring to....I think this was the last straw. You know I didn't think they would animate it, when I was reading the manga and thinking if this was ever made into an anime, this scene would probably not even be mentioned but I have seen scenes in animes that have been far worse.

Next episode is the finale and the Tokyo Ghoul manga is coming to an end in the next chapter too, the story in my opinion has a hell of lot to answer, so I'm hoping it will get a sequel manga because Tokyo Ghoul is incredibly popular even before the anime started.
wink.gif

QUOTE (dominodidi21 @ Aug 12 2014, 12:20 PM)I still like " Attack on titan " better
QUOTE (Klyern @ Aug 01 2014, 03:17 PM)I heard that in japan since the declining birthrates arent getting any better the child demographics arent looking so hot, so im wondering why the hell they are being so hard on censorship myself.

Also i agree with what was said about the first episode setting the bar high for the rest of the series, but so far so good. I liked it when he walked in on the girl ghoul while she was eating, funny bizarre and ambiguously ecchithat censorship reminds me to Pupa, so after trying ep.1 I prefer Shingeki too...
but depending of final reviews in thursday, I'll wait to marathon it uncensored
smile.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back