Mouretsu Pirates

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

julez

-chibi
Retired
A11399-9.jpg

Studio: Satelight
Genre: Adventure, School, Space
Director: Tatsuo Sato (Martian Successor Nadesico, Stellvia)

Plot: Marika is a first year high school student living in a far away galaxy known as Uminoakeboshi. One day she finds out that her recently deceased father was once the captain of the space pirate ship called the "Bentenmaru". More importantly, the only one to inherit the captain's title has to be a direct descendant—meaning that Marika is next in line to become the captain of the ship.

Opening Theme:
"Mōretsu Uchū Kōkyōkyoku - Dai-Shichi Gakushō 'Mugen no Ai'" ("Extreme Space Symphony's Movement VII 'Infinite Love'") by Momoiro Clover Z
Ending Theme:
"Lost Child" by Momoiro Clover Z

Cast:
Kana Hanazawa as Chiaki Kurihara
Mikako Komatsu as Marika Kato

Ai Kayano as Ai Hoshimiya
Asuka Nishi as Ursula Abramov
Atsushi Ono as Jotoff Sief Sydow
Chiaki Omigawa as Mami Endō
Chinatsu Akasaki as Maki Harada
Haruka Tomatsu as Gruelle Serenity
Hiroki Yasumoto as Shō
Hisako Kanemoto as Grunhilde Serenity
Kanako Nomura as Shōko Kobayashi
Kaoru Mizuhara as Luca
Keiji Fujiwara as Hyokumanako
Kenta Miyake as Schnitzler
Kiyono Yasuno as Aster Aruhanko
Maaya Uchida as Izumi Yunomoto
Mariya Ise as Natalia Glennorth
Masaya Matsukaze as Kane MacDougall
Natsumi Takamori as Sasha Staple
Rikiya Koyama as Narrator
Rina Satou as Jenny Dolittle
Satomi Satou as Lily Bell
Shizuka Itou as Misa Grandwood
Suzuko Mimori as Belinda Percy
Yōko Hikasa as Lynn Lambretta
Yoshino Nanjou as Yayoi Yoshitomi
Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Sandaime
Yui Horie as Coorie
Yuiko Tatsumi as April Lambert
Yuko Kaida as Ririka Katō

Thoughts: Yikes that's a huge cast... anyway, the first episode has received quite a few positive reactions from the reviewers on ANN. It's been awhile since we've had a space opera anime and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Mikako Komatsu is great as Marika, even though some people can't help but hear Joey all the time (Heroman). I didn't watch Heroman so I don't have that problem...

I was interesting. A lot less Ecchi and Comedy than I thought it would be. If the plot is good and they stay serious it could be a great anime. And if they dont forget to show Ririka a lot
tongue.gif

About the voice problem with Marika, I dont have it either since for me every japanese sounds the same anyways ^^"

Okay I have to say this as of right now, julezia-saaaan you beat me to making a thread for this.
tongue.gif

In any case after watching the first epsidoe I have to say that I'm flat out going to follow this, and I can kind of guess as to why there is such a huge cast to this series though and that might be the ship's crew and her classmates that belong to the Yacht Club might end up being grouped together later on in this series.

Although I wouldn't say they are leagal pirates, but more along the line of your given Privateers that are labeled as Pirates to thier enemy forces they come across.
tongue.gif

Haha, Yay me for beating wolfie to making a thread
tongue.gif
I'm on a roll today with making threads!
@Ossi, I was also expecting lots of ecchi, with a title with a word like Bodacious ... what else comes to mind? Oh another alternative title for this show is "Miniskirt Pirates"
tongue.gif
I guess it's because the captain will be a young female...

I think we will see lots of Ririka in the beginning, and whenever they have flashbacks to the old crew. However the primary focus will be on her daughter and her adventures... I'm guessing that Ririka left the ship and crew to raise her daughter and for protection. It was probably a hard choice for her to make since she seemed to love being a pirate.

My guess as to why people will think of this as ecchi is because there are a lot of female cast memebers, so there is a high chance for ecchiness to happen I'll bet.
tongue.gif

Although with it being the first epsidoe I doubt they would go all out on the first epsidoe like that, but more along the line of developing the characters first and then throwing them in ecchi-like situations.
biggrin.gif

Sorry to disappoint you, Kid, but they had girls in miniskirts floating around in zero-g, and they didn't once show any panties. This is going to be a pretty darn ecchi-free show. On the other hand, your Yuri-goggles won't need too much of a workout when watching this.

It's been enjoyable so far.

Oh A-chan just so you know I don't have Yuri Goggles, but the Mystic Eyes of Yuri Perception.
tongue.gif

Besides after seeing the second epsidoe pretty much thinking this will be ecchi right off the bat because of how the title is can be highly misleading. Although I'm waiting for the whole cast to be fully introduced after a couple more episodes before we may hit any ecchi levels.
biggrin.gif

In any case with the second epsidoe we pretty much find out that the ship this all-girls school has was one of the 7 pirate ships back in the war is kind of a big deal if you ask me. Granted it's no longer a pirate ship, but still that sounds like a big deal if you ask me.

Aside from that it seems every major group is trying to figgure out on if she is planning to be the captain of the Bentenmaru or not. In any case it might end up with her having both the academy's ship aling with the ship she was to inherit from her father. Now that idea would be crazy to belive right now, but never the less sounds plausable of happening.
tongue.gif

Yes I think that will happen too @Wolfie.
That a lot of groups are after her is not surprising since it was said that only a direct descendant can fly the ship and that already says that that ship is special and powerful.

It was great how Ririka showed Marika what it would mean to be the Captain of the Bentenmaru with the gun and the responsibilty she wouldve in her hands.

This series looked promising but until now i have found it to be pretty boring. I expected more action. I can't say that the story is the problem. More like the scenes stretch out too much or feel unnecessary.

Pretty much it seems like a slow pace to those who doing like techno lingo for some parts, or sailing portions of this series. Granted we did have you given dressingroom moment with some of the girls, but hey it was something. I had a gut feeling it would happen sometime soon.

In any case i get this feeling that this whole series will be all about her making the decision on being a pirate or not I'll bet.
rolleyes.gif

After ep 3 was over I thought "What its over already? Didnt it just start?". I guess thats a good sign ^^

The only disappointment was that they left out reality for a bit and let the girls travel outside without a safteyrope. But who knows, maybe they have other safetys on the ship and in their suits given that they have higher technology than us.
On the top side it was good that Marika didnt actually have to fight the electronic war since that wouldve been stupid, especially if she wouldve won it.

I totally love Misas hair. But I always was a sucker for two or more coloured hair as long as it looks great ^^

i know this series started slow but i think the next ep is gonna get good now that marika excepted being a pirate captain. so things should be good. and Jenny oh man you gotta love her in the latest ep. odett caption to lightling 11 subject fools lol

Pretty much finding out that her firend that she was paired off with that one time was also a Pirate Captain as well pretty much showed how she wanted to see if she had what it took to be a Space Pirate after all of this.

I can say that the next episode is where things finally pick up, and for some reason she does look rather cute in her pirate outfit.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 05 2012, 08:03 PM) Pretty much finding out that her firend that she was paired off with that one time was also a Pirate Captain as well
Umm Wolf I think her megane friend said she was the daughter of a Pirate Captain. I think her dad is alive and currently the Captain of the ship. Off the top of my head that would make more sense if she wanted to say join Marika's Pirate crew.

The type of anime this has been after five episodes has kinda surprised me. I made assumptions in thinking since the name is Bodacious Space Pirates that it would have a much more silly and ecchi vibe to the show. I still of course have my fingers crossed for the ecchi but overall the show has been pretty serious so far. There's been a lot of strategy involved with the girls planning electronic warfare and Marika really showing off her analytical abilities. I'm hoping the show will also take on a more adventurous and comedic vibe (to go along w/the analytical) now that Marika has decided to become the captain. It wouldn't kill this show to have her pirate crew filled w/some really quirky characters to make things interesting.

A really great example what happens if you underestimate people, even if they are only teenagers.

I must say I dont really know where this is all going since I dont see an overallplot. But maybe this will just be a slice-of-life show. But since the arc about her thinking about beeing the captain of the Bentenmarou is over maybe we see it in the next ep.

Best scene was defenitely Jenny beeing crepped out after hearing they are shooting by eyevision. She reacted as if a pervert was near her XD

That megane girl beeing a space pirate too was a surprise. But thinking back now she showed a lot of knowledge about stuff like electronic warfare, the guys in the cafe and whatnot so you couldve expected something like that.

That was a nice finale. I particularly liked the fridge horror aspect of Marika's solution - she turned their ship into an oven. bloody brilliant.
happy.gif

I don't know I'd say this is going slice of life. It feels more like it just did a really long, really graceful RPG intro.

well i really enjoyed ep 6 it was a very fun and entertaining episode. i though marika was kinda funny when she really got into her role. and the begining part man did she have a rough start in the simulartor and all those lession. boy that misa i think her name is really must enjoy making crafts cause she had all kinds of crafts in her lecture. haha

Ep 6 reminds me of the way Victorian era pirates were regarded - a novelty. "Did we really just get attacked by pirates?" "Spectacular, I'll have a story for the family when we arrive!"

I loved the way they sent Kane ahead and turned it into a show, too.
happy.gif

I'm going to have to rewatch the episode and see if I can keep up with the explanation on how they keep their letter of marque. That totally felt like a fast one.

I don't know about anyone else, but one of the things I have started looking at is the artistic style. Some of you may remember Tales of the Abyss.. it is similar.. as well, Valkyria. Something about those styles really appeals to me.
biggrin.gif
Me, I watch Anime for entertainment,, sometimes it's sad, sometimes it's funny.. this one promises to be funny in the right places, and serious in the right ones. I LIKE it.
On the side.. many years ago, in the 1960's there was one of my favourite books, The Pirates of Zan.. virtually the whole last two-thirds of the book revolves around a similar situation, where the raids had to be scripted, so that they would "believable" for broadcast. I still have a copy of the book.

QUOTE (Norren @ Feb 12 2012, 12:16 AM)Ep 6 reminds me of the way Victorian era pirates were regarded - a novelty. "Did we really just get attacked by pirates?" "Spectacular, I'll have a story for the family when we arrive!"

I loved the way they sent Kane ahead and turned it into a show, too.
happy.gif

You know Marika didn't help matters (for her to be taken seriously) when she started the broadcast off in such a comedic fashion. I have to admit it was a fresh approach to take instead of letting her be a fearsome and terrifying pirate captain. But you're right it was more like a show that they could tell to their children and friends one day. Maybe as the legend of Marika grows that first adventure into pirating might have a different twist. Like a classic sword match to the death took place and all the valuables were pillaged by the treacherous female Captain Marika
rolleyes.gif
or something to that extent. I liked when she lost the sword fight she did what any true pirate would and that's just shoot him instead. The crowd did get a bit of shock and awe after she did that and things became just a little bit less amusing.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back